• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynoro

I'm not sure why anyone would want to support a game that's an evident inferior clone of another. Specially considering P&D is free, one of the best games on the app store and that making a US account to play it is actually really easy. :s

Conversely; why should I support a game where the developer/publisher won't even release in my market and there are perfectly good versions of the same genre available for free?

GeekyDad

Conversely; why should I support a game where the developer/publisher won't even release in my market and there are perfectly good versions of the same genre available for free?

Played Angel Salvation quite a few months ago, long before the Puzzle & Dragons game came out here on the US store. It's the exact same thing, trust me. Play it with confidence. But know this going in, contrary to the previous poster's comment, it's far, far from "one of the best games on the App Store" -- not even close. It's a decent distraction/time waster, nothing more. The obsession with the game is completely manufactured as far as I can tell.

SteveWD40

This. They don't deem the EU fit to release the game? Then I won't support them, plus I don't want to have to use some heath robinson mechanism to get a game.

We support their competition and maybe they will get their arse into this century.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Really annoyed I missed the sale for Final Fantasy Tactics on the iPad recently, just didnt realise it was on sale at all >_<

Anyone have any idea if they'll reduce it again and when that might be?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Really annoyed I missed the sale for Final Fantasy Tactics on the iPad recently, just didnt realise it was on sale at all >_<

No and no. Just spend the money if you want the game, they only cut by a few dollars.

SteveWD40

A thought occurred to me, why isn't the iPad being taken seriously as an option for larger developers?

Gabe commented on how it could work as one of the core platforms for some games but they could only support the newer models (so 3/4), some games have made the leap (Magic 2013, Frozen Synapse...soon) but overall it seems that the massive income on offer doesn't interest large developers.

Is it the race to the bottom pricing? It doesn't seem to bother Japanese developers, they just charge what they please and still get well out of it.

What I would love to see is Blizzard (never happen in their current form) or Valve etc... looking at the iPad as viable for things like:

An updated port of Diablo 1 / 2
A port of Dota 2 (hinted at being possible by Gaben)
A scaled down version of Xcom
A scaled down version of Civ 5
A port of SC2 (on low settings it scales pretty well)

I get it, touch only might not work on some of those titles and they would need to strip a fair amount out of some of them, but I feel like the momentum iPad had as a gaming platform started to slow down last year. Loads of titles were announced that are all still yet to appear and games with real meat / depth are still lacking imho.

Gameloft have the only viable MOBA, Dungeon Crawler and Military FPS on the platform...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Their games go on sale usually around the time there's a big release/port (so whenever they release FFV iOS, probably), but not all their games go down in price at once so it's not a sure thing for specifics. For all we know it may take one year until FFT goes on sale again, considering the first time was in December 2011 and this last one was in December 2012.

Dynoro

Played Angel Salvation quite a few months ago, long before the Puzzle & Dragons game came out here on the US store. It's the exact same thing, trust me. Play it with confidence. But know this going in, contrary to the previous poster's comment, it's far, far from "one of the best games on the App Store" -- not even close. It's a decent distraction/time waster, nothing more. The obsession with the game is completely manufactured as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the extra thoughts; I shall give it a go and see how it plays

Zzoram

I'm not sure why anyone would want to support a game that's an evident inferior clone of another. Specially considering P&D is free, one of the best games on the app store and that making a US account to play it is actually really easy. :s

Considering that it takes just shy of no effort to release P&D in other English speaking countries when they already have a US version, it's their loss for being lazy fucks.

Lanark

It looks like the iPad version of Riven will be released today. After having played RealMyst for the first time a couple of months ago, I can't wait to start this game.

I've found myself dipping back into Civilization Revolution lately. Cracking little game and the iCloud saves mean I can switch between iPhone and iPad at will. I'd love to see another, or a cut-down version of Civ 5.

Wait, the iPhone version is different from the HD version. The cloud saves are interchangeable?

I never bought the game because I wanted a Universal version. Is the HD version of the game compatible for the iPhone 5 and the new iPad?

ToxicAdam

I thought Pitfall was rubbish. Did absolutely nothing to build on Temple Run's gameplay and the IAPs/store were designed for NO PROGRESS

Yea, it's not perfect, but there are a lot of things in that game they did I liked. I liked the variety in scenery, the variety in perspective, the progression and the overall presentation.

. The obsession with the game is completely manufactured as far as I can tell.

What does this mean?

GeekyDad

What does this mean?

People deluding themselves about the quality of the game? In essence, another GAF circle jerk. One person (the right person for that given moment) says it's amazing, and a certain number of gaffers pile on.

That's my theory anyway. It's all very scientific.

ToxicAdam

People deluding themselves about the quality of the game? In essence, another GAF circle jerk. One person (the right person for that given moment) says it's amazing, and a certain number of gaffers pile on.

I know what you mean, but there are also massive, active threads on TA and SomethingAwful for the game.

GeekyDad

I know what you mean, but there are also massive, active threads on TA and SomethingAwful for the game.

Well, it's free. Try it and see what you think. But if you go to GameFAQs and look at the top 10 iOS discussion forums, you'll find:

01 Guardian Cross
02 MARVEL War of Heroes
03 The Simpsons: Tapped Out
04 POTC Master of the Seas
05 Rage of Bahamut
06 DragonVale
07 Final Fantasy Dimensions
08 MLP Friendship is Magic
09 Kitty Kitty Meow Meow
10 Dark Summoner

At least eight of the 10 there are freemium trash. Says a lot about what the iOS masses seem to gravitate toward. And of course, you can always check the App Store's top-grossing games. They're not necessary the paragon of quality either.

I should qualify my comments, though, by saying that I don't have a problem with those games. It's just that, to me, they're the McDonald's of iOS games. A McDouble is great when you just wanna spend a buck to fill your gullet, but it's still garbage.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Happy Street players - DO NOT UPDATE. It's not out yet, but the next update is removing Flooz awards from nearly everything.
I think they also made it so you don't need flooz to build anything or expand land anymore (except the bonus buildings).

Heel

That's my theory anyway. It's all very scientific.

Do you have some examples of this theory?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It looks like the iPad version of Riven will be released today. After having played RealMyst for the first time a couple of months ago, I can't wait to start this game.

is there a solid iOS verion of Myst to start with? always wanted to try em out

ToxicAdam

Well, it's free. Try it and see what you think. But if you go to GameFAQs and look at the top 10 iOS discussion forums, you'll find:

I don't think gamefaqs is really an apt demographic to the crowd you find on Neogaf, SA or TA.

I should qualify my comments, though, by saying that I don't have a problem with those games. It's just that, to me, they're the McDonald's of iOS games. A McDouble is great when you just wanna spend a buck to fill your gullet, but it's still garbage.

Why is PAD garbage, but a game like Dungeon Raid something to be lauded? Because one was free and the other had a price?

Goli

Because they're basically a ripoff. Specially since some aren't free contrary to the original.
P&D isn't available in my market either but it wasn't much of a problem to me since I do most of my purchases using my US account, however I do realize that creating another account may be a bit cumbersome but I often read posters here saying they'd like to play but can't since it's not up in their market of choice and stuff like that, and instead of posting that they could have simply created a US account and downloaded the game in that time.

Considering that it takes just shy of no effort to release P&D in other English speaking countries when they already have a US version, it's their loss for being lazy fucks.

Has the publisher ever said anything regarding this anyway? Has anyone even asked them? There may be legal issues that prevent them from publishing it at the moment. In fact I think it'd be really silly in their part not to release it just because they don't want to.

PFD

Why is PAD garbage, but a game like Dungeon Raid something to be lauded? Because one was free and the other had a price?

One is genuinely fun to play and perfect for commutes, while the other feels like a pointless chore. But that's just my opinion.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Because they're basically a ripoff. Specially since some aren't free contrary to the original.
P&D isn't available in my market either but it wasn't much of a problem to me since I do most of my purchases using my US account, however I do realize that creating another account may be a bit cumbersome but I often read posters here saying they'd like to play but can't since it's not up in their market of choice and stuff like that, and instead of posting that they could have simply created a US account and downloaded the game in that time.

Has the publisher ever said anything regarding this anyway? Has anyone even asked them? There may be legal issues that prevent them from publishing it at the moment. In fact I think it'd be really silly in their part not to release it just because they don't want to.
Yeah, to each their own but I can't wrap my head around the idea of paying for a ripoff of a game you want to play when you can easily download the free original instead. Making an US iTunes account takes just some minutes, doesn't require credit card info and you can literally forget about it after you install the game. The only time there will ever be a need to think about another account is when an update for PAD is released, and that's not even close to often. Not to mention once in a while there are some free deals and promo codes that are US exclusive.

I guess I can understand not wanting to support a game exclusive to a region, but I'm in Brazil and since it's not the first time I have to deal with this kind of thing I couldn't care less. I also think it's more likely that it has to do with contractual/legal reasons than the developers simply wanting to restrict a wider release for less downloads and money.

GeekyDad

Well, it's all opinion, obviously, but for me -- in this case, anyway -- I guess I'd point to both the shallowness and lack of true satisfaction that P&D offers versus Dungeon Raid.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
When I picked up my iPad mini a couple weeks ago I bought Cook, Serve, Delicious, Bastion, Baldur's Gate, and the complete Walking Dead Season 1(all games that wouldn't run on my iPod Touch 4g). I've barely given most of them a second glance though, because I've been playing CSD constantly. I really think chubigans has released about the best game on the entire App Store with this game. It just plays to the platform's strengths so well. I'm about half way to my fourth star, and its starting to get crazy hectic with the 7th prep station, I can't imagine what it'll be like if more keep being added as the levels increase.

ToxicAdam

Well, it's all opinion, obviously, but for me -- in this case, anyway -- I guess I'd point to both the shallowness and lack of true satisfaction that P&D offers versus Dungeon Raid.

I don't know how someone can call PAD shallow. Even the playfield itself and the many different ways you can create matches is more complex than the design that DR has. Not to mention the different elements/power ups/pets that can influence success or failure against the mobs. That doesn't even touch on the extra layer of strategy that P&D introduces with it's Pokemon component.

Can you pinpoint what exactly is the 'true satisfaction' you get with Dungeon Raid? When you boil it down, aren't you essentially doing the same thing in both games? You are efficiently matching icons in order to defeat an enemy and move on further and deeper into the game. Right?

My beef isn't that you don't like the game. But rather that you draw some kind of arbitrary line in the sand over garbage games/worthy games. IIRC you have enjoyed many glorified cow clicker games that Kairosoft produces, Puzzlecraft and Dungeon Raid. Most of those games I have played and enjoyed but I don't think they are any better than many freemium games I have played. I just don't understand why games like that should be held in some esteem and a game like P&D has 'manufactured approval'.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Fave games presently...

ARC SQUADRON

mzl.tbdvqgtr.320x480-75.jpeg

Love this so much.

Lanark

is there a solid iOS verion of Myst to start with? always wanted to try em out

realMyst is a 3d remake of the first Myst game on the iPad. The framerate (on an iPad 3) and controls aren't great, but it's a slow puzzle game so it didn't bother me as much as it would in another game. I really loved playing this game on my iPad, game looked pretty good, and in my opinion it's perfect for a tablet, you can easily take notes, play in short bursts so when you get stuck on a puzzle you can come back anytime. I can't compare it to the other versions, because this is the only one I've played, but I'd definitely recommend it.

There's also an iPhone version available of Myst, that's just a straight port of the game. I haven't played that version, but there's a free demo on the app store.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Got my iphone 5 last night. So far i bought The world ends with you and Infinity blade.

What are some must have? Is the OP updated?

Good racing games? Repulze seems interesting, i like wipeout/Fzero type games, what do you guys think of it? Or what other racers are a must?

Galaxy on fire 2 HD.. good? That Arc Squadron game seems neat too.

Also, best FF game? I didnt play the DS remakes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So P&D is garbage now huh?

pgtcx5p0.gif

those who like it (includes me) have taken the discussion into an OP that now has 31 pages in 2 weeks... I'd say it's pretty popular, still ;) (and that's at 100ppp master race goodness)

Krorg

I think I'd enjoy Temple Run a lot more if it had a landscape mode. Tilt controls are uncomfortable with portrait mode.

Temple Run 2 is terrible. The graphics are sharper but there's so much pop-in that the overall effect is way uglier, and a lot of the turns and obstacles are just plain difficult to see as a result of the graphics changes, which is something that was never an issue in Temple Run.

Then there's the fact that apparently making a hundred million billion dollars on the first Temple Run isn't enough, so they've actually added a second premium currency to the sequel which just confuses everything and means that high scores can literally be bought with money. You could improve your chances in Temple Run, but here you can flat-out buy high scores.

It's just a massive waste of time. Not even the people that made Temple Run can make a good Temple Run clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom