• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend against this. Beeline's games are REALLY freemium, like almost every single piece of content is paywalled. I played Snoopy for a while and the only stuff you could get for free was shit, all the popular characters etc are locked up.

Obviously there's a chance this one could be different, but it seems unlikely, they've found their balance.

Haha, I spent so much in Snoopy. Between gift cards and using my credit card, I'd be afraid to know how much I actually spent. I'm a sucker for Ghostbusters and will probably do the same with this one, assuming it continues with those wonderful skinner box qualities.

Anno

Man, Dungelot is really fun and pretty addictive. A definite reccommendation for anyone who likes roguelikes, even if it is really really simple.

GeekyDad

Man, Dungelot is really fun and pretty addictive. A definite reccommendation for anyone who likes roguelikes, even if it is really really simple.

Only played through it once, but it feels...well, kinda like a tap-fest. I wouldn't really call it a rogue-like in spite of the presentation and spin the developers put on it. I'll run through it once or twice more, but I'm not sure it's got a real spark to it.

tops2

Neo Member
Only played through it once, but it feels...well, kinda like a tap-fest. I wouldn't really call it a rogue-like in spite of the presentation and spin the developers put on it. I'll run through it once or twice more, but I'm not sure it's got a real spark to it.

To me, it's more like a puzzle/minesweeper-ish game with rogue like elements. There's a lot of risk vs reward going on. Especially further down I get, I really decide whether to clear the floor, or just skip killing enemies to conserve my hit points and make a beeline for the key and exit.

Of course these games aren't for everyone.

GeekyDad

To me, it's more like a puzzle/minesweeper-ish game with rogue like elements. There's a lot of risk vs reward going on. Especially further down I get, I really decide whether to clear the floor, or just skip killing enemies to conserve my hit points and make a beeline for the key and exit.

Of course these games aren't for everyone.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Played through a second time as the vampire dude, and the strategy elements came more into focus for me. It's a cool little time waster I suppose.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I can see what you mean. Played through a second time as the vampire dude, and the strategy elements came more into focus for me. It's a cool little time waster I suppose.

Things get much tricker when you get in the 30s in the dungeon (don't know how far you got). Every floor is a struggle especially if you haven't upgraded your abilities much. There's also some really annoying bugs that need to get worked out (you can get stuck on a level pretty easily, unable to progress because a tile gets wrongly locked and can never be turned - happened to me on one of my best runs around lvl 27 and you have to quit and lose all the money you earned!). So I might just wait it out a while, future updates sound promising browsing the game's thread on TA. It looks like it might get an update down the road that brings a goal in to the game for a campaign, so it has an end-point like 10000000, as well as more immediate updates including a much needed save-game / resume feature and the tile stuck errors being fixed.

SmokyDave

I've found myself dipping back into Civilization Revolution lately. Cracking little game and the iCloud saves mean I can switch between iPhone and iPad at will. I'd love to see another, or a cut-down version of Civ 5.

what I would like to see is a total war game with combat closer the the current total war game instead of how its done in the PC games. There is no reason why the management side of those games would work on tablets perfectly. Just need to redo the fighting.

Would love that. But yeah I love Civ Rev as its the closest thing currently.

J0dy77

I've found myself dipping back into Civilization Revolution lately. Cracking little game and the iCloud saves mean I can switch between iPhone and iPad at will. I'd love to see another, or a cut-down version of Civ 5.

Are you playing HD version on the iPad? Or just the stretched out iPhone version with your icloud saves.

Rlan

Almost entirely completed Joe Danger Touch. Much like a lot of you I've got every pro medal except for three special stages because i need to buy cupcake, gold joe and captain orange, which is a LOT of grinding just to play a level.

Even have all of the "discoveries except for one, and i seem to have gotten them all, unless there's one hidden in a special stage (which seems wrong as none of the others have them) or it's hidden in a menu somewhere?

Really good otherwise. I love Joe Danger's menu styles (though sometimes they take way longer than they should) and it runs so well on an iphone 5. Loved it to bits outside of this current stall for cash monies.

SmokyDave

Are you playing HD version on the iPad? Or just the stretched out iPhone version with your icloud saves.

Civ Rev HD. There used to be a pretty big difference between the two but since I last played it it seems the iPhone version has been brought up to parity.

thanks, i apparently just fixed it by doing a full reboot of the phone. And add me too if you want a Super Hexagon challenge ;D (Wario does not count, he is a cyborg)

Added :) I just can't make the Hexagonest difficulty in Super Hexagon, it doesn't matter how much I try. The first two are kinda easy, that one not at all.

chris121580

Man, I love Joe Danger. Also, the music reminds me of the music being played during the basement scene in Pulp Fiction(you know which one I'm talking about). Hilarious

ToxicAdam

I played a lot of this game a few months ago on the PC. It's a great template of a game, but needs some more variety in later levels and some kind of 'endboss', exit or something to shoot for. Once you unlock the characters (which don't seem much stronger than the ones you start with) there is really nothing left to play for.

I love games that punish you early on, but there has to be a payoff at some point.

It's a shame .. because the game could be a huge hit if it were more fleshed out on the backend.

Heel

Probably vaporware, seems like that and Grimrock were announced / teased and then nada.

Hopefully it's just due to having small dev teams.

Grimrock dev in July, 2012 responding to Mac/iOS development:

Hi! We're a small team of only 4 developers and we have found that it works best for us if we focus on only a few things at a time. Right now we are focused on getting the level editor out. After that, we'll decide what to do next - Mac/iOS is one possibility but there are other equally tempting options... Patience please

Their editor just came out in October, Mac/Linux support in December, so who knows what they've moved on to now. Fingers crossed!

SteveWD40

Hopefully it's just due to having small dev teams.

Yeah, I don't think it's malicious vaporware, just that there is a chance they will run out of steam before they ever get it on iOS. They also have to sell the same game for much less on iPad due to the race to the bottom pricing.

bonesquad

FreeAppDaily has codes for Time Surfer, GTA: Vice City etc. if you have any points left.

Thanks for the tip. I had 1000 points otherwise going to waste and hence grabbed Time Surfer yesterday. After a few plays I quickly came to a couple realizations:

1) I never want to play another endless runner. The genre is played out. If you're going to do a runner design levels for your game mechanic.
2) I never want to play another 'retro' game that doesn't have the words 'hotline' or 'miami' in the title. Retro graphics/sound are a trend that needs to stay in 2012.

Probably this

I doubt it. Which of Nimblebit's games really warrants a sequel?

I mean, I'd totally play Tiny Tower 2, but there's no real point when they could just add new floors to the old one, same with planes and frogs.

That stupid tease seems more likely to be something like CSR Racing 2 or something like that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A friend talked about Super Crate Box on twitter and it got me reminiscing, I totally forgot how my high score stings by being only FIVE points under the top of my list. Sigh!

MV8Ky.png

PFD

I need this game in my life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1a-pJ4bQ4

We are happy to announce that BADLAND will feature local multiplayer for up to four players playing in the same device!

The multiplayer is all about survival of the fittest – with no rules. It’s completely okay to push your opponent to a spinning circular saw in order to survive. The multiplayer shares the same easy to grasp controls and the gameplay mechanics as the single player, so it’s easy to pick any friend (or foe) to play against you. However, skills matter in the end. The physical gameplay makes sure that every game is different.

BADLAND will feature 12 multiplayer levels at launch, and we will keep adding more levels in updates.

During the past few weeks, we adjusted our estimate for the launch and we confirm it is this March.

Singleplayer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BMt_vsgk4nY

Zeth

A friend talked about Super Crate Box on twitter and it got me reminiscing, I totally forgot how my high score stings by being only FIVE points under the top of my list. Sigh!

MV8Ky.png

That's me at number 3! Thought I had my user name displaying all this time lol, will have to look into that.

And wow this looks awesome.

Flunkie

Banned
Considering all the praise and how much I love the console games, I need Joe Danger Touch in my life soon.

On a different note, my iPhone is my main source of entertainment in my current living situation (just moved) so it would be a perfect time to take on the backlog but like always I cannot stop playing Bejeweled. I guess me and this game were meant to be together forever.

If any of you guys play the paid game or Blitz regularly add me @ 5nugg , I need more competition.
Diamond Mine is so good.

Yopis

what I would like to see is a total war game with combat closer the the current total war game instead of how its done in the PC games. There is no reason why the management side of those games would work on tablets perfectly. Just need to redo the fighting.

Would love that. But yeah I love Civ Rev as its the closest thing currently.

Would be awesome.

BooJoh

I'm new to the whole iOS thing and I'm a little confused on something. I downloaded Dungelot Lite and after playing it for a while I decided I wanted to get the full version. This is my first app store purchase, and I used the in-app Upgrade button, and it removed the ads and unlocked the other features, but the app is still listed as Dungelot Lite.

Does upgrading through IAP not flag ownership of the full version of a game? If I'd known this I would've just gone and bought the non-lite version.

Goli

I'm not sure why anyone would want to support a game that's an evident inferior clone of another. Specially considering P&D is free, one of the best games on the app store and that making a US account to play it is actually really easy. :s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom