• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Temple Run 2 is terrible. The graphics are sharper but there's so much pop-in that the overall effect is way uglier, and a lot of the turns and obstacles are just plain difficult to see as a result of the graphics changes, which is something that was never an issue in Temple Run.

Then there's the fact that apparently making a hundred million billion dollars on the first Temple Run isn't enough, so they've actually added a second premium currency to the sequel which just confuses everything and means that high scores can literally be bought with money. You could improve your chances in Temple Run, but here you can flat-out buy high scores.

It's just a massive waste of time. Not even the people that made Temple Run can make a good Temple Run clone.
Oh wow, that sucks. I still need to play Temple Run 1...

hongcha

Are they any good turn-based RPGs on iOS? Besides the expensive as hell Final Fantasy games?

Guardian Saga
is awesome and cheap (Universal too!), one of my favorite iOS games. Cthulhu Saves the World is also cheap and awesome, though I've only played the Xbox Live Indies version.

Pricier but really great is Chaos Rings II.

Any Game Center experts in the house?

I have all the achievements in Pix N Love Rush, but they all count as zero points and it's not in my total achievement points.

If I delete it and remove it from Game Center, can I redo all the achievements and if I do, will they "count" this time?

I would do it blindly but I have a wicked high score and I want to know for sure before I try to get that score again.

LiU94.jpg

PFD

Any Game Center experts in the house?

I have all the achievements in Pix N Love Rush, but they all count as zero points and it's not in my total achievement points.

If I delete it and remove it from Game Center, can I redo all the achievements and if I do, will they "count" this time?

I would do it blindly but I have a wicked high score and I want to know for sure before I try to get that score again.

I'm no gamecenter expert, but I would backup your game data before deleting 'just in case'. Google iFunBox if you aren't sure how to do it.

Don't get the Temple Run love.

Got my iphone 5 last night. So far i bought The world ends with you and Infinity blade.

What are some must have? Is the OP updated?

Good racing games? Repulze seems interesting, i like wipeout/Fzero type games, what do you guys think of it? Or what other racers are a must?

Galaxy on fire 2 HD.. good? That Arc Squadron game seems neat too.

Also, best FF game? I didnt play the DS remakes.

I like Repulze for what it is. Definitely scratches that futuristic racer itch plus more content on the way. Arc Squadron is also a solid choice.

Did you get infinity blade or infinity blade 2?

Malajax

GeekyDad

So P&D is garbage now huh?

pgtcx5p0.gif

Ha, ha! I loled.

Well, in spite of having put a few hours into Angel Salvation a few months back, I also put a few hours into P&D -- to the point when I realized, "nope, this doesn't really qualify as 'fun.'" That being said, it has a solid formula, and again, it's a decent time waster. But I think it's the video-game equivalent of junk food. It fills you up temporarily but offers little nutritional value.

GAF (I) has spoken. :p

Card Boy

Banned
I got Kingdom Rush, Carrot Defense, Spice Bandits and Gem Keeper. I am looking for free Tower Defence games with a similar cartoon aesthetic. Any recommendations? Would prefer something for my iPod Touch instead of my iPad as its being used by family members.

C-Drive

This post:

Well, it's free. Try it and see what you think. But if you go to GameFAQs and look at the top 10 iOS discussion forums, you'll find:

01 Guardian Cross
02 MARVEL War of Heroes
03 The Simpsons: Tapped Out
04 POTC Master of the Seas
05 Rage of Bahamut
06 DragonVale
07 Final Fantasy Dimensions
08 MLP Friendship is Magic
09 Kitty Kitty Meow Meow
10 Dark Summoner

At least eight of the 10 there are freemium trash. Says a lot about what the iOS masses seem to gravitate toward. And of course, you can always check the App Store's top-grossing games. They're not necessary the paragon of quality either.

I should qualify my comments, though, by saying that I don't have a problem with those games. It's just that, to me, they're the McDonald's of iOS games. A McDouble is great when you just wanna spend a buck to fill your gullet, but it's still garbage.

Got me playing Guardian Cross, so thank you for complaining about grindy freemium games.

Anyone else here on GAF play it? If you do, send a friend request to C-Drive on there and let me know you're from here. If you don't and want to try it out, here's my invite code: PH56064 - then you can send me a friend request.

C-Drive

Glad I could help. And thank you for misrepresenting what I actually said. ;)

I understood what you are saying, it's easy to enjoy it, but it's still junk ( and trust me I know it's junk food for my brain). I tried War of Heroes which was horrible and I'm not sure how anyone plays that.

Gross. The only good game on that list is Final Fantasy Dimensions and thats a RPG Maker slop job.

There's a ton of folks here that love Puzzle & Dragons, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm one of those people who click better with the card game collect a thons. It's a stretch to even call them card games.

Card Boy

Banned
Heres my mini review of Heroes of Order & Chaos a DOTA genre game. I have being playing this alittle bit and believe it or not it's actually very good.

It mostly follows the LoL business model with the exception of Runes, it does however feature it's own Mastery and Summoner spells system. There are about 30 heroes and you get 6 weekly on a rotation basis. Some heroes take about 2, maybe 3 matches to earn but the others are expensive on the same level as LoLs 3200 IP heroes. These are some of the cheapies, they go up to 24000 gold Plus the game has a random daily spin the wheel to earn free gold.

The game supports Skins and EXP, and Gold boosters like LoL with no option to straight out buy power.

You can earn free Runes (which are used to purchase skins) if you do like surveys or download a app and run it.

There are two modes and i didn't have trouble find a game to my surprise. The game supports text chat aswell and has a very good tutorial and something i feel DOTA 2/HoN could learn from. Item shop (in game one) is very familiar to other DOTA genre games but is much simpler with no active items. The game has it's neutral and boss creeps with the regular tower pushing DOTA element. The game also has a Guild system, profiles, mail, friends list and if you can believe it, a replay system to watch your matches.

As for controls it works pretty well, my only issues are UI ones as i couldn't see what skills i was leveling up. Network code was pretty good on my janky Aussie connection and it allows people to comeback if they accidentally dropout. I would recommend playing on an iPad over a iPod/iPhone though as the larger screen helps alot.

Forgive the image as I'm blowing up a tiny picture. But graphics and animations look good on a 4" screen and it runs 60fps on my 5th Gen iPod Touch and has AA. Again forgive the screencap. Heroes have their one liners and dialogue is good.

All in all don't go into this thinking it's a DOTA 2 experience with a DOTA 2 skill ceiling. It's really great for what it is on a touch screen device. Don't let the Gameloft association put you off. It's free and you have nothing to lose.

4.5 out of 5. Recommended.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is DEEPLY disappointing. I will have a full review later but... ugh. Feel free to skip. Unless things change drastically this game is going to be panned very hard all-around.

not sure if pimping articles is kosher in this thread, but i just posted my FF:ATB impressions on the verge. short version: i think the game is sort of fun and looks great, but is essentially a GREE-style trojan horse in which the company tries to have its cake ($4 entry fee) and eat it (IAPs).

it's pretty interesting in what it signifies for square enix's approach to the app store, and i'd certainly take this model over the ludicrous pricing of demons' score, but you should probably skip this one.

SteveWD40

Heres my mini review of Heroes of Order & Chaos a DOTA genre game. I have being playing this alittle bit and believe it or not it's actually very good.

It mostly follows the LoL business model with the exception of Runes, it does however feature it's own Mastery and Summoner spells system. There are about 30 heroes and you get 6 weekly on a rotation basis. Some heroes take about 2, maybe 3 matches to earn but the others are expensive on the same level as LoLs 3200 IP heroes. These are some of the cheapies, they go up to 24000 gold Plus the game has a random daily spin the wheel to earn free gold.

The game supports Skins and EXP, and Gold boosters like LoL with no option to straight out buy power.

You can earn free Runes (which are used to purchase skins) if you do like surveys or download a app and run it.

There are two modes and i didn't have trouble find a game to my surprise. The game supports text chat aswell and has a very good tutorial and something i feel DOTA 2/HoN could learn from. Item shop (in game one) is very familiar to other DOTA genre games but is much simpler with no active items. The game has it's neutral and boss creeps with the regular tower pushing DOTA element. The game also has a Guild system, profiles, mail, friends list and if you can believe it, a replay system to watch your matches.

As for controls it works pretty well, my only issues are UI ones as i couldn't see what skills i was leveling up. Network code was pretty good on my janky Aussie connection and it allows people to comeback if they accidentally dropout. I would recommend playing on an iPad over a iPod/iPhone though as the larger screen helps alot.

Forgive the image as I'm blowing up a tiny picture. But graphics and animations look good on a 4" screen and it runs 60fps on my 5th Gen iPod Touch and has AA. Again forgive the screencap. Heroes have their one liners and dialogue is good.

All in all don't go into this thinking it's a DOTA 2 experience with a DOTA 2 skill ceiling. It's really great for what it is on a touch screen device. Don't let the Gameloft association put you off. It's free and you have nothing to lose.

Nice review, do you know if the banner ads go away if you spend any IAP?

not sure if pimping articles is kosher in this thread, but i just posted my FF:ATB impressions on the verge. short version: i think the game is sort of fun and looks great, but is essentially a GREE-style trojan horse in which the company tries to have its cake ($4 entry fee) and eat it (IAPs).

it's pretty interesting in what it signifies for square enix's approach to the app store, and i'd certainly take this model over the ludicrous pricing of demons' score, but you should probably skip this one.

Isn't Demon's score just 99 cents till the end of the month? What's crazy about that?

I'm confused with the title. First 'true' iOS game. Haven't there been a bunch of original stuff from them since what... chaos rings?

Oh man, All the Bravest is such a waste of time on everyone involved. At best, it is this screensaver with less strategy then most freemium games and at worst it is a platform for them to sell this reasonably intrusive level of iap at you. It is a shame because I do generally like what Square is doing on the platform, I hope this is only a blimp rather then a downhill trend for them.

xJavonta

Banned
I just checked and its out now.

Also, how does that Momonga pinball game look on the ipad?

It's already out

Thanks guys, checked it at midnight and saw it was released.

First impressions so far are great. I really like the new art style and the new landscapes provide a bigger challenge. I never spent IAP in the original anyway and don't plan on it in this, so it doesn't affect me.

Anyone played Myst or realMyst or Riven on iPad?

How are they? I have those games on the PC BTW but dat iOS itch... you understand.

I am wondering if the port job is done good as the games are $5 each.

I'm confused with the title. First 'true' iOS game. Haven't there been a bunch of original stuff from them since what... chaos rings?

yeah, but that's not what i'm getting at with the headline. chaos rings is an overpriced c-tier RPG that doesn't fit the platform at all (at least in my estimation), whereas ATB — for all its faults — would actually sort of make sense as a simple, inexpensive mobile game were it not for the oppressive in-app purchases. it certainly has more in common with most of the releases talked about in this thread.

i had pretty high expectations for ATB as it looked like square had finally learnt how to leverage the advantages of iOS, hence "first 'true' iOS game". as it turned out, it had not.

or maybe it'll make millions and the joke'll be on me! which is depressingly possible.

PittaGAF

I do not know if it is already been stated, but Dungelot is really damn addicting.
I'm playing now with the Necromancer (already maxed out) and having TONS of fun with this little gem.

mzl.wupkkxuc.480x480-75.jpg

I'm having this weird problem when I have Gamecenter turned on. In some games, such as Angry Birds Star Wars and Extinction Squad, everytime I start a game after syncing with my computer every achievement I've ever earned in Gamecenter for those game pops up. Really annoying to see achievements pop up for the first 2+ minutes of the game. Any ways to stop this other than turning off Gamecenter?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Oh wow...Interested in this now. Is there an Android version as well? My brother has an S2 or S3 and would LOOOVE this (and it would be fun to play with him).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom