• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. Wario64 perma banned? It's the end if an era if it is permanent . Wario has been banned before though I believe .

Dang, maybe it's a prank, but the pic on twitter is convincing. GAF without Wario won't be the same.

Anyways, The Grading Game is awesome. I like the developer's description of it, they made it in some competition to create an FPS game and they decided to replace the gun with a pen and enemies with grammatical mistakes. It's challenging because rounds last only 20-30 seconds on the basic mode, and my mind just doesn't work that fast, but it's surprisingly fun to quickly track down typos and spelling and grammatical errors. A cool and unique concept that works very well.

It's only $.99, check dat shit out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just checked, and Wario got a two week ban.

I'm not sure where you're seeing otherwise, but it's a pretty bad source.

TheMan

Holy crap, he got banned for that? That's some straight up bullshit, I hope he's not perma'd.

Sometimes bans can be very cowardly, some mod gets a bug in his ass and we lose one of our best posters. And they get to do it anonymously, especially when they know a bunch of people will be WTFing about it. Not cool.

i'd be all for a system that would show which mod banned a poster along with a short explanation. accountability for those in charge is always a good thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just checked, and Wario got a two week ban.

I'm not sure where you're seeing otherwise, but it's a pretty bad source.
K0Xr8.jpg

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/286714656029020161

His own twitter, lol. Wario trolling from the grave?

Mairu

i'd be all for a system that would show which mod banned a poster along with a short explanation. accountability for those in charge is always a good thing.

Forum needs an automated ban list like TL has

I'm not sure I want to spend $3 on Hundreds either. Might just wait for it to hit 99c

My guess is in later levels you will need to decide which bubbles to pop when. It is a puzzle game......

I don't know there are levels when there's like a dozen or more bubbles but you can just pop them.

There's no score so I don't think it costs you anything to take the time to pop them. I just don't understand.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Forum needs an automated ban list like TL has

I'm not sure I want to spend $3 on Hundreds either. Might just wait for it to hit 99c
Well.... Canabalt (same dev) took over a year to see a sale. I would not be surprised to see the price hold steady on this one, but who knows? I bought it. Unique puzzler with polish. No regrets. I can see that it is going to get rather challenging.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Well.... Canabalt (same dev) took over a year to see a sale. I would not be surprised to see the price hold steady on this one, but who knows? I bought it. Unique puzzler with polish. No regrets. I can see that it is going to get rather challenging.

Yeah but $3 is so much money. It's like three times more expensive than a dollar! And it's at least 20 times more expensive than free.

I'm applying online for a loan, I really want to play this game. I wonder what the APR will be. I don't want to ruin myself.

EDIT: ohshitohshit, it's already on sale!! I must needs buy it now, I'll need to remortgage to afford the game at full price.

He didn't make the thread, he suggested it was too soon for one.

I got a one week ban for the same thing. There were literally 3 LTTP: The Walking Dead threads in a few days and I made a joke along the lines of "What an original thread!"

It's ridiculous and I hope Wario comes back soon.

I just went and looked at the thread in question and it's astounding that he got banned when he simply pointed out that the game had been out for 43 days, and other people in the thread said much more snarky things. Not that I think any of them should be banned for it, but his was the least biting.

Zia

I don't know there are levels when there's like a dozen or more bubbles but you can just pop them.

There's no score so I don't think it costs you anything to take the time to pop them. I just don't understand.

It doesn't cost anything, as far as I'm aware. I don't think the poppable bubbles are necessarily intended to be a challenging obstacle, but they're gratifying to pop, and give you a sense of what's to come.

This isometric thickness icon is definitely a new thing now.Google+ (but not Maps), Vevo, and Dropbox all just started doing it in the last month or so.

SpellTower as well, which is one of the best icons on the App Store.

Ranger X

Wario is always tagged as "banned". He probably have a specific and special permission set. When he actually gets banned the system probably automically put the lift to "never"...

Wario's most likely just trolling his fans by saying he's perma-ed(or possibly trolling the mods be getting people to ask them why they perma-ed Wario). He'll be back, and from time to time he'll make you wish it was a perma, and then an hour later he'll direct you to 5 dollars of free Amazon credit.

Has FMA not put up any new apps for over a week for anyone else? All I've seen is The Sims for the past week or so.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So after approaching some dodgy loan sharks for the readies to purchase Hundreds, I'm not really feeling it. It seems a bit too simple for my liking, and then jumps into annoying far too quickly. Now I have to explain to my family why there is nothing for dinner tonight...

Clunker

Okay, the presentation and music had me already enjoying Hundreds, but I just realized that you can click on the main circle in the menu to view the Ciphers you've unlocked, and then you can dive into each Cipher to solve it ... A puzzler with a metagame. <3

It doesn't cost anything, as far as I'm aware. I don't think the poppable bubbles are necessarily intended to be a challenging obstacle, but they're gratifying to pop, and give you a sense of what's to come.

Yeah, I've gotten to levels where bubbles impact that puzzlery.

TheMan

I'd be pretty pissed if wario's ban really was a perma...I've picked up more than one game thanks to his constant posting of sales

nofi

Reviewed it for PS3 a while back and loved it, but I doubt I'll bother with it on iOS. The controls were perfect on PS3. I can't imagine doing all that stuff with virtual controls.

You don't.

Played it this morning - it's mostly tap-based. Tap and hold to duck, release to jump. Tap other objects to interact (eg D A N G E R letters) and swipe left for wheelie.

It's great, at least from the first few levels.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You don't.

Played it this morning - it's mostly tap-based. Tap and hold to duck, release to jump. Tap other objects to interact (eg D A N G E R letters) and swipe left for wheelie.

It's great, at least from the first few levels.

It's an instabuy for me since I loved Joe Danger 1 & 2 but I'm interested to get a feel for how it plays. It seems like a very different game, almost puzzle-like rather then a vehicular platformer (which do exist on the platform, ex: MotoHeroez).

Bii

Anyone still looking for Rayman Jungle Run from Starbucks' pick of the week? I was at two different Starbucks yesterday and noticed they had a ton of cards in their little stands at both locations. If a few of you guys are interested, I can go back later tonight and grab a dozen or two to distribute.

nofi

It's an instabuy for me since I loved Joe Danger 1 & 2 but I'm interested to get a feel for how it plays. It seems like a very different game, almost puzzle-like rather then a vehicular platformer (which do exist on the platform, ex: MotoHeroez).

Not sure how much I can say at this stage.

It's good, very much Joe Danger (in presentation, looks, feel) but tweaked controls. Kinda feels like a different game, but the same. Erk. I'm not doing well here.

Like, you don't accelerate, it does that itself. But you can wheelie to boost. And then tap things.

:/

Er.

Lemme see if I can take a video...

V_Ben

Banned
Oh god Hundreds is fantastic. How the hell do you arrange the second cipher? I know what it says, but I can't put it in the right order!

Anyone still looking for Rayman Jungle Run from Starbucks' pick of the week? I was at two different Starbucks yesterday and noticed they had a ton of cards in their little stands at both locations. If a few of you guys are interested, I can go back later tonight and grab a dozen or two to distribute.

I just grabbed a bunch too. If anyone wants a code for Rayman send me a PM.

I swore off console gaming years ago after the transition to the next gen consoles because I thought most of the games sucked and I'd probably stop gaming...and now all the sudden I find myself gaming even more so on the iPad than I ever have probably.

Picked up Hundreds and Repulze (futuristic racer by the people who did Reckless Racing) last night. Definitely interested in Joe Danger Touch. I'm a sucker for side scrolling racers like that in similar fasion to the Mad Skills series.

PFD

Picked up Hundreds and Repulze (futuristic racer by the people who did Reckless Racing) last night. Definitely interested in Joe Danger Touch. I'm a sucker for side scrolling racers like that in similar fasion to the Mad Skills series.

I did not know that. Consider my interest piqued.

Kevtones

So I picked up:

Tower of Fortune for $0.99 and love it. It becomes a grind but the game is really good in short bursts and highly addictive. It can be cruel too :)

I have $15 in store credit, how are:

The Walking Dead - I have the first two on XBLA but I no longer have Live and am not interested in re-upping soon.
Broken Sword: Director's Cut - have this for the Wii, but it seems like a better iOS game for me given my play-tendencies.
Minecraft - Is it a good jumping off point?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I picked up:

Tower of Fortune for $0.99 and love it. It becomes a grind but the game is really good in short bursts and highly addictive. It can be cruel too :)

The Walking Dead - I have the first two on XBLA but I no longer have Live and am not interested in re-upping soon.
Broken Sword: Director's Cut - have this for the Wii, but it seems like a better iOS game for me given my play-tendencies.

The Walking Dead - Great
Broken Sword: Director's Cut - Great
Minecraft - Minecraft

PFD

So I picked up:

First two are amazing on iOS. Never played Minecraft, but people usually recommend playing the PC version instead.

Kevtones

Well I'm a console guy so Minecraft options are XBLA or iOS. Playing on my phone seems very convenient for the game type...

Broken Sword is a definite at this point.

Thanks folks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom