• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Why did I buy Hundreds!? Action puzzler is my least favorite genre of all but I like Canabalt a lot (more than any other endless runner) so thought I'd give it a shot. It's an action puzzler alright....

At least my mistakes on iOS cost $1-5 instead of $40-50. :p

Vire

Question, sorry if this has been asked before. What's the significance of the level names in Super Hexagon, like "Line" in the early goings.

kodt

Banned
Question, sorry if this has been asked before. What's the significance of the level names in Super Hexagon, like "Line" in the early goings.

Once you hit 60 seconds you beat that level. Each level is split into sections: Line, Triangle, Square, Pentagon, Hexagon. It just helps you know how far you have made it without looking at the time.

PFD

Your goal is to reach hexagon (60 secs) to complete a level. Every 10 seconds your shape grows (every 15 secs between 30 and 60.)

Vire

Gotcha! Thanks guys. I've made it to Triangle thus far. This game is addicting! Very challenging though...

Oh god, space agency is going to all new star soccer levels of addiction isn't it...

Hundered is slick. But I'm just not feeling it. It encourages multi-touch right away but I just cover the screen with my fat digits and insta-die.

Interested in repulze impressions. Close to biting on that one as well

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I modified the "2012/December haul of games" section in the OP to be inclusive of games 'recently discovered on GAF'. This to have an excuse to add Space Agency to that list, it deserves it.

Any objections? :)

Heel

I modified the "2012/December haul of games" section in the OP to be inclusive of games 'recently discovered on GAF'. This to have an excuse to add Space Agency to that list, it deserves it.

Any objections? :)

That makes some sense. I'm sure we're going to discover some gems that we missed.

I think we should be starting an archive area and link to each month's thread instead of cluttering up the OP with old picks from other months. That way people that are looking for recommendations can click through the archives, and people who visit monthly can just see what's fresh.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That makes some sense. I'm sure we're going to discover some gems that we missed.

I think we should be starting an archive area and link to each month's thread instead of cluttering up the OP with old picks from other months. That way people that are looking for recommendations can click through the archives, and people who visit monthly can just see what's fresh.

My plan was to gradually whittle down the 2012 haul as new games pop up. Might make more sense to have a 'new releases' section and a 'also currently hot shit on GAF' section (already moving in that direction tbh!) rather than 'this month'/'last month' sections.

Past |OT|s are currently linked in the Additional Threads section.

Heel

My plan was to gradually whittle down the 2012 haul as new games pop up. Might make more sense to have a 'new releases' section and a 'also currently hot shit on GAF' section (already moving in that direction tbh!) rather than 'this month'/'last month' sections.

Past |OT|s are currently linked in the Additional Threads section.

Oh, I didn't even see the old threads linked. I think our OP may be suffering from feature creep...lol.

Heel

FreeAppDaily now has $5 and $10 Amazon gift cards if you were looking to cash out. Grab them while you can.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ooh nice, The Grading Game has been featured by Apple! Really fun title, more fun than it's premise seemingly has any right to be, hah.

PFD

/highfive

I've used several of these services but they always end poorly. I think I'm done with them for awhile.

Based on my experience, freemyapps is the most reliable service out of them. They have a steady stream of sponsor apps, and iTunes cards are always in stock.

Oh god, space agency is going to all new star soccer levels of addiction isn't it...

Hundered is slick. But I'm just not feeling it. It encourages multi-touch right away but I just cover the screen with my fat digits and insta-die.

Interested in repulze impressions. Close to biting on that one as well
It's a pretty good Wipeout type time trial racer at this point. They said they are releasing more modes. Great so far.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was hardcore on freemyapps for some days back when it started, but I stopped because the hassle of installing a bunch of random apps isn't worth it for me anymore. I recently started trying my luck daily on freeappslots after seeing it mentioned in the thread, I weirdly enjoy dealing with that turd of a site as it's almost a game on itself.

Zeth

Hundreds is really cool. Repulze is ok but the steering controls need work (also no bots yet). Swing King is a slick production but pretty derivative, plays like Contre Jour a bit.

GeekyDad

subscribed. keep meaning to get in this thread.

Now that Wario64 is banned, we have room for one more. :p

As an aside, picked up Mini Motor Racing over the holiday. It's probably my new favorite micro racer. Very simple, fun controls, and whole lot of content. Very cool package. Not sure if it's still free, but it was for a while.

Gav47

Yeah, Hundreds is great. Cool presentation, nice ambient music and the cipher puzzles add an extra bit of depth to the experience.

numble

I was hardcore on freemyapps for some days back when it started, but I stopped because the hassle of installing a bunch of random apps isn't worth it for me anymore. I recently started trying my luck daily on freeappslots after seeing it mentioned in the thread, I weirdly enjoy dealing with that turd of a site as it's almost a game on itself.
Compared with back when it started, the point rewards are much higher. In December there were at least 5 apps that gave you over $1 of credit for the download, and many are in the 50¢ to 66¢ range.

Now that Wario64 is banned, we have room for one more. :p

As an aside, picked up Mini Motor Racing over the holiday. It's probably my new favorite micro racer. Very simple, fun controls, and whole lot of content. Very cool package. Not sure if it's still free, but it was for a while.
I absolutely love Mini Motor Racing on the iPad. Probably my favorite top down racer

bonesquad

Yeah, Hundreds is great. Cool presentation, nice ambient music and the cipher puzzles add an extra bit of depth to the experience.

Has anyone played Hundreds on an iPhone (or Touch)? I saw elsewhere that the game is hard to play on the small screen.

okno

The Grading Game, Fur Fighters and Vice City have consumed my life. Boyfriend got me an iPad mini and I can't put the thing down. The fact that I have Fur Fighters in my hands is just surreal.

Hundreds is really cool. Repulze is ok but the steering controls need work (also no bots yet). Swing King is a slick production but pretty derivative, plays like Contre Jour a bit.
Yeah steering in repulze is the biggest issue right now. It's not broken by any means but it just doesn't feel right. Still an OK game though but not sure how long it will stay in the rotation.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hundreds is great. Ciphers in it are a nice touch and are fun. I got stuck on the 4th one though. At first it seemed like it's a very long anagram with all words jumbled together, but I'm not so sure anymore.

randomly decided to play reckless racing 2 again after the iphone 5 update. love the new (well august update) drift stuff. I usually get crazy frustrated in drifting modes, but when you get a good run... feels good.

KtSlime

Anyone know if the text in Chrono Trigger is retina? Trying to decide between it or Chaos Rings 2 before the sale ends.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Anyone know if the text in Chrono Trigger is retina? Trying to decide between it or Chaos Rings 2 before the sale ends.

From the screenshots, the text is markedly clearer than the ugly muddy filter they put all over the pixel art. IMO text should be the last of your worries compared to that.

KtSlime

From the screenshots, the text is markedly clearer than the ugly muddy filter they put all over the pixel art. IMO text should be the last of your worries compared to that.

I'd be playing in Japanese, so text is always of primary concern. But that's good to know. Yeah, I can't say I care for the filter they applied to the game from the screenshots I saw in iTunes.

Is the Chaos Rings on freeappslots the HD version or just iPhone one? I was thinking about trying it out, but the resolution on iPhone games bothers me when I play them on iPad.

Card Boy

Banned
Order and Chaos Online (now subscription free)
Quote 4 Code

Burnout Crash
Quote 4 Code

Got them from FreeAppSlots. Its fucken USA only garbage so i can't use them.

Is there anything like FreeAppslots and FreeDailySpin or whatever they are called for people outside the US?

colinp

Banned
Order and Chaos Online (now subscription free)
Quote 4 Code

Burnout Crash
Quote 4 Code

Got them from FreeAppSlots. Its fucken USA only garbage so i can't use them.

Is there anything like FreeAppslots and FreeDailySpin or whatever they are called for people outside the US?

Hmmmm, iTunes says the order & chaos code is invalid. You sure you put it in right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom