• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
pming you now,

edit: iOS games now have their own section now on Gamerankings.
Looks like they beat the VITA in more higher rate games

Thank you!

Incidentally, what's the best racer on iOS? Real Racing 2? Asphalt 7? NFS: Most Wanted? I've got a mini and am in the mood for a racer.

Card Boy

Banned
Thank you!

Incidentally, what's the best racer on iOS? Real Racing 2? Asphalt 7? NFS: Most Wanted? I've got a mini and am in the mood for a racer.

1st person? Easliy Real Racing 2 without a doubt. Top down? Reckless Racing 2. Death Rally is abit grindy.

Haha, the fun is just getting started. Having a hell of a time with 38 at the moment.

Tell me about it. I thought I finished both stages but it won't let me progress on to the next one. Either it's a bug or there is some puzzle that I'm missing. I'm thinking the latter...

GeekyDad

Just discovered Fortune Street for iOS -- cha-ching! I had no idea. I got the Wii version for us for Christmas, and my kids and I have been hooked on it for days. Was just looking it up on GameFAQs, and an iPhone version came up. I was like, "wuh!?"

Zeth

Mad Skills BMX is pretty fun.

Thinking I should jump on NFS:MW while it's still $1.

Also re: racing games: Reckless Racing 2 is still my favorite. New drifting stuff is nice.

Also re: racing games: Reckless Racing 2 is still my favorite. New drifting stuff is nice.

I'm still trying to get used to the control scheme in Mad Skills BMX and am sucking big time. Played Mad Skills MX forever so this is an all new animal...but I'm liking it. The jumping and maintaining a rhythm are my biggest issues right now. Need to figure out how to come out of a jump with a lot more consistency.

Double D

I really want to like Mad Skillz BMX but suck terribly at it. I can't even beat the first event. I was hoping this would be a more 'Trials-esque' version of MX, but it's more like Tiny Wings than anything. It's just weird but I'll keep at it for a bit.

Zeth

I'm still trying to get used to the control scheme in Mad Skills BMX and am sucking big time. Played Mad Skills MX forever so this is an all new animal...but I'm liking it. The jumping and maintaining a rhythm are my biggest issues right now. Need to figure out how to come out of a jump with a lot more consistency.

You need to learn to accurately predict the angle at which you come down (when swiping down in air) with consideration for speed and upcoming obstacles. The endless practice option is useful, you can activate it on any stage. You really need to memorize the courses, especially later. Getting in flips for adrenaline also helps, especially before whoops sections. Some rhythm type tracks don't require flips.

I've been a huge fan of Mad Skills MX but this game is very different.

You need to learn to accurately predict the angle at which you come down (when swiping down in air) with consideration for speed and upcoming obstacles. The endless practice option is useful, you can activate it on any stage. You really need to memorize the courses, especially later. Getting in flips for adrenaline also helps, especially before whoops sections. Some rhythm type tracks don't require flips.

I've been a huge fan of Mad Skills MX but this game is very different.

This is the main problem with the game, I'm finding. You can get as good as you like with the mechanics of the game, but you just don't get enough warning of what's coming up to react. The jumps you can carry through your own momentum and the ones you need to jump look incredibly similar and there's really not the time to think about what's going on.

Which is a shame, as the actual mechanics and look of the game are pretty decent.

Although I'd also add that I loath games that force you to link to facebook to play with other people.

This is the main problem with the game, I'm finding. You can get as good as you like with the mechanics of the game, but you just don't get enough warning of what's coming up to react. The jumps you can carry through your own momentum and the ones you need to jump look incredibly similar and there's really not the time to think about what's going on.

Which is a shame, as the actual mechanics and look of the game are pretty decent.

Although I'd also add that I loath games that force you to link to facebook to play with other people.

Agreed. Why they've neglected GC for their leaderboards and opted for Facebook blows my mind. Ugh.

Only thing I can think of is the number of leaderboards required the the social aspect of promoting their game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cook, Serve, Delicious! was upgraded to 1.0.3 yesterday, should resolve all crashing issues hopefully as it has a new and vastly improved music/audio engine. Also adjusted swipe zones, added background effects, and fixed a few bugs.

Later this month there will be a free update adding two new foods and challenges! Woo!

Also there are three iPad codes hidden in this post, just quote to reveal. Enjoy!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Most Wanted is enjoyable, definitely glad I got it during the sale. Maybe not as good as Real Racing 2, maybe a little more limited, and its visual style makes the road hard to see at times, especially if you don't use full brightness, but other than that it's very nice and quite the showcase for the platform imo. Probably best to have that right now than RR2 with RR3 upcoming.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! was upgraded to 1.0.3 yesterday, should resolve all crashing issues hopefully as it has a new and vastly improved music/audio engine. Also adjusted swipe zones, added background effects, and fixed a few bugs.

Later this month there will be a free update adding two new foods and challenges! Woo!

Also there are three iPad codes hidden in this post, just quote to reveal. Enjoy!

Took the second, thanks =)

(I'll be back with OPINIONS)

dwebo

thanks chubs, took the 3rd

Would anyone like Mass Effect: Infiltrator?

EDIT: PM'd Gamecocks625.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Got the first. Thanks for sharing it.

Kunan

Oh man Super Hexagon is so much simpler on the phone than on iPad. I tripled my previous score on first try and consistently do better than my previous best score every single attempt. It's not quite as trance inducing though. The iPad one is intense as it fills your vision.

Fox Mulder

Thank you!

I played asphalt 7 a bit but Most Wanted is pretty nice. Works great on the mini and looks fantastic.

My iCade came yesterday and after a little hassle getting it to work with my iPad 2 (had to switch keyboard layouts for some reason) I am having a blast with it. My biggest complaint is the loud controls. I would have payed a bit more just to have quieter buttons and stick. I am sure I will get used to it though. Now to play tons of Shmups this weekend.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My iCade came yesterday and after a little hassle getting it to work with my iPad 2 (had to switch keyboard layouts for some reason) I am having a blast with it. My biggest complaint is the loud controls. I would have payed a bit more just to have quieter buttons and stick. I am sure I will get used to it though. Now to play tons of Shmups this weekend.
Here's my current intended to play with iCade games haul (I have a few more but feel they won't be played a lot) if you want ideas (mostly not shmups), mine (ok not exactly) has yet to arrive though, to know how well each works with it.

Edit: replace Random Heroes with Super Lemonade factory, that seemed like the better of the freebies.

Selection is pretty slim, games perfect for it don't support it, hopefully iOS 6 will be jail-broken soon to use blutrol and iMAME.

iceatcs

Also if u willing jailbreak, get blutrol. It make unsupported games to work with icade. Best on any apps using virtual controller.

Heel

Nice! Seeing the update pop up made me want to go in and finish the game, but now I don't want to miss the new foods and challenges along the way, hah.

smr00

Banned
Is Myst good? I returned my ipad for another because every game was crashing and i got to playing the room and didn't stop till i finished it and now i need more puzzle like games that are similar.

The Room is sogood.gif

Bii

Alright, I have 19 Rayman Jungle Run codes up for grabs. Works only on US iTunes Store. PM me if you want one. I'll update this post if all codes are gone. If they're not all claimed, I'll probably offer the leftovers on another forum.

Edit: All gone. :]

HooYaH

Alright, I have 19 Rayman Jungle Run codes up for grabs. Works only on US iTunes Store. PM me if you want one. I'll update this post if all codes are gone. If they're not all claimed, I'll probably offer the leftovers on another forum.

Too bad I already have the game. Anyone know when Baseball Superstars 2013 suppose to come out for iOS?

I'd like one. My wife would probably enjoy it on her iPad.

Flunkie

Banned
Dammit. Twewy went up in price before I bought it. I thought the sale went THROUGH 1/4. :(

Just discovered Fortune Street for iOS -- cha-ching! I had no idea. I got the Wii version for us for Christmas, and my kids and I have been hooked on it for days. Was just looking it up on GameFAQs, and an iPhone version came up. I was like, "wuh!?"
Japan only?

RedAssedApe

Banned

Edit: 13 left.

muchas gracias

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Look forward to impressions. Raiden has me tempted more than ever, but support still seems a little sketchy. Also can't decide between the 8-bitty which is cheaper and more compact, or the icade core which has a proper little stick

Silvawuff

Is the Chaos Rings on freeappslots the HD version or just iPhone one? I was thinking about trying it out, but the resolution on iPhone games bothers me when I play them on iPad.

The HD version isn't much better. In fact, it's downright horrible. Don't trust the "HD" tag on any SE titles. It's still a good game, though, if not a bit grindy and repetitive.

Picked up the Grading Game on this thread's recommendation. I love it! Having way too much with it. For whatever reason, the "Super PACs" level kept throwing me for a loop! Couldn't grade it down to an F for the longest time.

And thanks to Bii for hooking it up with a Rayman code! Super fun! <3 iOS Gaming GAF.

Please add me on gamecenter: the_log_ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom