• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

I disagree, N7 is great whichever way you hold it and each orientation has it's uses.
Are book and comics usually so tall and thin? I think not. I know websites are often really long, but it's very unlikely that you read all of the information on one screen before the temptation to scroll up takes over. Web pages aren't presented like a page in a book, so the natural reaction is to start scrolling way before you reach the bottom.

derExperte

Are book and comics usually so tall and thin? I think not. I know websites are often really long, but it's very unlikely that you read all of the information on one screen before the temptation to scroll up takes over. Web pages aren't presented like a page in a book, so the natural reaction is to start scrolling way before you reach the bottom.

I'm right now looking at Walking Dead, one page fits perfectly on the screen (Android uses a bit of space at the bottom for it's navigational buttons) and I got used to reading books on this thing in about a minute, don't see the problem. Also on 7/8" you have to scroll and zoom in a bit anyway for the details and I'll take the slightly sleeker body for better handling over a little more screenspace.

I wouldn't be so sure about that 'better handling'. Build quality, edge design/materials, thinness and lightness all contribute to that. I look forward to holding one.

Angst

Here you go:
Bigger Screen: iPad Mini
Better Screen Resolution: Nexus 7
Better Build Quality: iPad Mini
Better Cameras: iPad Mini
Better Internal Specs: iPad Mini (it has the same processor as your iPhone 4S)
LTE/Cellular Availability: iPad Mini
Better Price: Nexus 7
Better App Store: iPad Mini
Battery Life: Seems to be about the same
Size (as in smaller): Nexus 7
Weight (as in smaller): iPad Mini

I seriously doubt the iPhone 4S can beat the Nexus 7 in any tests.

Here you go:

Thanks.

Is the CPU difference big or close enough to not be an issue?

I have heard people say N7 is better and others say mini is better so its a bit confusing.

I have my vita for games so I doubt I would game much on it though. Mainly stream my pc to it to play games when TV is in use.

strata8

I seriously doubt the iPhone 4S can beat the Nexus 7 in any tests.

The A5 has a faster GPU.
48696.png

RevDM

Banned
What's the point of rear facing camera on these tablets? We've agreed long ago that people who use tablets as cameras are assholes.

Going Nexus7

RevDM

Banned
You're going with the Nexus 7 because it doesn't have a rear camera? RevDM pls

No because its cheaper. My point is that apple just tacks shit on its tablet to justify a higher cost. It's like paying for floor mats at the car dealership.

LM4sure

Banned
What's the point of rear facing camera on these tablets? We've agreed long ago that people who use tablets as cameras are assholes.

Going Nexus7

Can't tell you how many people I saw using their ipads as cameras on my most recent vacation. I thought I was being trolled!

Seriously, get a real camera or just use your fucking cell phone. You look like an idiot using a tablet.

it's still nice to have a camera there, my grandfather owns an ipad 2 and sometimes uses the camera even thought it might take rubbish images.

SeanR1221

I think the worst part for me was I really wanted this to be a good price so I could get one for work. I use my iPad all the time, and it would be nice to just have work apps on something smaller and more portable.

I could look into a grant, but I feel kind of bad, as they should really be for families with kids with autism who can't afford an iPad, even if I work with over 10 kids 1:1.

I'd rather a decent front-facing cam than both a crappy rear and front. At least it would be useful.

Don't know if this is accurate:

48698.png

Tegra 3 seems to be faster but not by a lot.

Overall I doubt there is a huge noticable difference either way then. So not really a factor.

I guess I'm leaning towards the nexus more because If I get one its for internet, video and streaming my pc games to it. Id use other things as well but those would be the main ones.

My wife is interested in the mini though. She wasn't until she saw it last night. She wants to hold one in person first though to see if the smaller screen is suitable for her.

Here you go:

Considering it's not in anyone's hands yet, prove it or GTFO.

Cheebo

Banned
Oh and here is another factor, the IPS display on the iPad mini is very likely far superior to the display on the Nexus 7 despite the lower resolution. I like my N7 quite a bit but the colors are pretty washed out.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh and here is another factor, the IPS display on the iPad mini is very likely far superior to the display on the Nexus 7 despite the lower resolution. I like my N7 quite a bit but the colors are pretty washed out.
Yeah, the N7 has a slightly cold/washed out tint to it. Given the iPhone 5's screen, the mini is no doubt a bit better.

Blackhead

Redarse
Comparisons to the current $250 16GB Nexus 7 are a bit pointless. As has already been posted, there are strong indications that the model will get a price drop before the iPad mini has reached any consumers' hands which change the value proposition.

Furthermore, the iPad mini isn't in the same class of tablet as the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 fits in a jacket or jeans pocket which the iPad Mini doesn't; one is properly portable while the other isn't. The proper comparisons that should be made to the 4:3 7.9" iPad Mini are the 16:10 8.9" Android tablets like the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Even then the iPad Mini will have competition from the likes of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and the Nook HD+. The Nook HD+ will be in stores on November 1st with a 'retina-class' display and 16GB for $269. It won't feel right for me buying the first generation iPad mini for family and friends this holiday season when all they want to do is browse the web, read books, and check email, facebook and twitter when the Nook HD+ can do all that satisfactorily with a much better screen

There's a really good balanced look at the strengths and weaknesses of the iPad Mini over on The Register at the moment.

Even as little as nine months ago, the Mini might have stood head and shoulders above the competition. But not any more. The Mini’s rivals are now well-made products which deliver a great user experience and can - and do - impress as much as the Apple offering.

This is not to say the Mini is a poor product. But on the basis of the spec, it delivers a lesser user experience than the latest 7in Android tablets - and does so at a greater cost.

noah111

Still Alive
They must have been holding it right then.
What does that even mean?

No need to get your panties in a bunch if the build quality is obviously superior; that doesn't instantly make it the better device of the two, but it's still a pretty non-contravertial fact at this point.

Somnid

Comparisons to the current $250 16GB Nexus 7 are a bit pointless. As has already been posted, there are strong indications that the model will get a price drop before the iPad mini has reached any consumers' hands which change the value proposition.

Furthermore, the iPad mini isn't in the same class of tablet as the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 fits in a jacket or jeans pocket which the iPad Mini doesn't; one is properly portable while the other isn't. The proper comparisons that should be made to the 4:3 7.9" iPad Mini are the 16:10 8.9" Android tablets like the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Even then the iPad Mini will have competition from the likes of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and the Nook HD+. The Nook HD+ will be in stores on November 1st with a 'retina-class' display and 16GB for $269. It won't feel right for me buying the first generation iPad mini for family and friends this holiday season when all they want to do is browse the web, read books, and check email, facebook and twitter when the Nook HD+ can do all that satisfactorily with a much better screen

I would not claim a 7" tablet of any dimension is properly portable. Hell even most phablets aren't.

Comics are actually taller and thinner. Books are inconsequential as most e-read programs adjust the words. Magazines are better on iPad - hands down.

I would not claim a 7" tablet of any dimension is properly portable. Hell even most phablets aren't.

My Nexus fits perfectly in the "inside" pocket of my sports jacket. I barely notice it's there. Very portable device. I think the iPad Mini would be slightly too wide for it sadly.

numble

Furthermore, the iPad mini isn't in the same class of tablet as the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 fits in a jacket or jeans pocket which the iPad Mini doesn't; one is properly portable while the other isn't.

Can I see a photo of the properly portable Nexus 7 in a jeans pocket?

Tobor

Oh, Greyface. You poor dear.

noah111

Still Alive
Furthermore, the iPad mini isn't in the same class of tablet as the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 fits in a jacket or jeans pocket which the iPad Mini doesn't; one is properly portable while the other isn't.
Jeans pocket? Really?

Also, does the iPad mini really not fit in a jacket pocket (assuming your talking about the internal pocket)? Seems like it would, being only marginally wider.

Jeans pocket? Really?

Also, does the iPad mini really not fit in a jacket pocket (assuming your talking about the internal pocket)? Seems like it would, being only marginally wider.

I think an iPad Mini would fit in the outside coat pocket but it definitely would be too wide for the inside one where I keep my Nexus 7. That's not a huge deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination though. It all depends on the coat/jacket of course.

I wouldn't put any tablet in my jeans.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can I see a photo of the properly portable Nexus 7 in a jeans pocket?

Jeans pocket? Really?

... really guys? I know you've read every post in this thread. There is nothing controversial about saying that the nexus 7 fits in a pocket and the ipad mini doesn't:

You put a nexus 7 in your pocket?
In a pinch, it fits just fine. Say I'm getting something out of my backpack while walking around campus or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMMz_vGtxUY

lol @ brainwashed journo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3tjCBxT7N08#t=11s

if it fits in the pocket.... it would have gone into the pocket >_>

I personally think that it would have served Apple a lot better to compare to the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and the Nook HD+. Those are much closer to the iPad mini in price for one thing (the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 is $314 without ads) and the iPad Mini clearly wins in thinness and lightness. The Nooks and Kindle Fires have sold more than the Nexus7 too and has been Apple's main competition so far. Nexus7 doesn't even have decent marketing behind it and a direct comparison made by Apple only serves to raise awareness and put it on the same platform as the iPads.

Edit:
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that the iPad mini isn't in the class of quality as the Nexus 7. I was referring to tablet size and category. As in the iPad mini isn't in the same class as the iPad2

mil6es

I really dont get this logic??? dont you mean, you hope it will be better?? becuase I dont know how you have come to that conclusion otherwise.

also the Mini dosnt have GPS???(not like it has a maps app to properly utilise it) this product is becoming more and more irrelevant to me

What does that even mean?

I was referring to one of Apple's infamous build quality faux pas of the past.

No need to get your panties in a bunch if the build quality is obviously superior; that doesn't instantly make it the better device of the two, but it's still a pretty non-contravertial fact at this point.

I'm honestly not that bothered. I'm well aware that there are significant build quality issues with 06, 07 and possibly 08 variations of Nexus 7 models, and I expect Asus and Google to make it good to the users affected. What I took exception to was the Kool-Aid induced automatic assumption that just because it's Apple, the build quality will be top notch. Because I can provide plenty of examples where this was not the case.

Oh wait! The Nexus 7 beat the iPad in a drop test. That Nexus 7 build quality must really suck!

Yeah jeans pockets are for iPhones and iPod touches, iPad mini belongs in a coat pocket or something. No way you can get that in your pants (that's what she said).

I was interested to see if the Mini would draw my interest away from my 5th gen iPod touch, but I need my pocketability and retina.

Still though, this thing is going to be HUGE in education and business. Freaking huge.

Isn't the mini only 15 mm wider than the Nexus overall? If you're getting those monstrosities in a pocket then I doubt this would be much different.

Isn't the mini only 15 mm wider than the Nexus overall? If you're getting those monstrosities in a pocket then I doubt this would be much different.

Yup, at 134mm it's 15 mm wider. I slot a nexus 7 into my jacket pocket and carry it around with me quite comfortably, but I really can't ever imagine it fitting comfortably into a pocket of my jeans. Pretty silly to even try if you ask me.

This whole width thing is ridiculous anyhow - it's stupid to keep blasting the iPad mini on the pocket size thing and distracting people from one of the most critical issues with the new iPad - the screen isn't even full HD.

GavinGT

Banned
Yup, at 134mm it's 15 mm wider. I slot a nexus 7 into my jacket pocket and carry it around with me quite comfortably, but I really can't ever imagine it fitting comfortably into a pocket of my jeans. Pretty silly to even try if you ask me.

This whole width thing is ridiculous anyhow - it's stupid to keep blasting the iPad mini on the pocket size thing and distracting people from one of the most critical issues with the new iPad - the screen isn't even full HD.

The increased width also makes it that much more difficult to hold one handed.

jts

...hate me...
I'm honestly not that bothered. I'm well aware that there are significant build quality issues with 06, 07 and possibly 08 variations of Nexus 7 models, and I expect Asus and Google to make it good to the users affected. What I took exception to was the Kool-Aid induced automatic assumption that just because it's Apple, the build quality will be top notch. Because I can provide plenty of examples where this was not the case.

Oh wait! The Nexus 7 beat the iPad in a drop test. That Nexus 7 build quality must really suck!
You look bothered. U mad bro.

Defective units do nothing to prove build quality, neither do drop tests, especially ones that compare massively different sized devices.

It's pretty clear that Apple's devices build, in terms of materials, precision, fit and finish and solidness when being held is pretty much unrivaled. You're in denial if you think otherwise.

Blackhead

Redarse
This whole width thing is ridiculous anyhow - it's stupid to keep blasting the iPad mini on the pocket size thing and distracting people from one of the most critical issues with the new iPad - the screen isn't hi def.
It's not an either-or argument. You can make both criticisms and I did just that, pointing out the size and screen resolution, in my post.
Well the onus is on you to show that.

Tobor

Edit:

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that the iPad mini isn't in the class of quality as the Nexus 7. I was referring to tablet size and category. As in the iPad mini isn't in the same class as the iPad2

I knew exactly what you meant. It's an absurd notion that the ability to put a tablet in a pocket defines it's category.

Pachimari

So we got anyone excited about the iPad Mini in here or am I alone?

I really don't care that it's wider than N7, don't have a Retina and comes with iPad 2 specs. I even have an iPad 2 and is going to buy this iPad Mini for what is a little bit less than $500.

dem

No because its cheaper. My point is that apple just tacks shit on its tablet to justify a higher cost. It's like paying for floor mats at the car dealership.

The schools I work for wouldn't buy the nexus 7 because it was missing the rear facing camera. They want the kids to be able to make movies.

Top Bottom