• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I got an iPad2 just WiFi and Im doing the same for my iPad Mini. Im a university student as well and the two places I use it most, school and home, have wifi. Not to mention coffee shops and a million other places that have WiFi

Yeah, that's what I was thinking because I don't really go out much and even when I do, I hardly have to look things up and I don't want to pay extra when I have my phone with me as well. I'm planning on the 32GB model, and you?

Jswanko

Yeah, that's what I was thinking because I don't really go out much and even when I do, I hardly have to look things up and I don't want to pay extra when I have my phone with me as well. I'm planning on the 32GB model, and you?

32GB as well. I could probably survive with 16 but I like being able to throw videos, music and apps on my iPad without having to stress over what to delete to make it fit.

Alchemy

Do you have a smart phone you can turn into a hotspot? I'm getting the WiFi mini since I can use my Bionic as a hotspot.

16GB works fine for me. Worked on my iPad 1 as well. Splurging for a green smart cover though.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Do you have a smart phone you can turn into a hotspot? I'm getting the WiFi mini since I can use my Bionic as a hotspot.

16GB works fine for me. Worked on my iPad 1 as well. Splurging for a green smart cover though.

I don't think I have enabled that feature on my plan with AT&T, but yeah I plan on getting a 32GB as well since this is for school use among other things.

In addition, I find it funny that Apple doesn't include a set of Earpods with the iPad Mini...

Timan

Developer
Don't foget to use the iOS app to order, its always live before the website.

Ordered the 16gb retina, and the mini for my brother.

bonesquad

Is the 16GB model really enough space? If it was for me, I go big, but I'm having a hard time guessing what would work for someone else who doesn't currently have any iOS device or tablet. Hmm.

Kreven

Uhm, the white iPad mini is only available in 2 weeks in Canada. The black models are still available for day-1 shipping.

Wow-just got my order in. Went back to look at something else on the store, and the white model is already at the "shipping in 2 weeks" window.

OmegaFax

I bought two 16gb models in black. I placed them separately and about ten minutes apart from each other. Let's see what happens.

Edit: I ordered two. I ended up calling Apple and canceling the orders this morning. Not going to lie: I only ordered two because of the potential holiday cash grab. I'd either sell one or both and try to get a bit of extra money. Wholly disinterested in buying Apple products since they discontinued the iPad 3 so quickly. The demand doesn't really seem to be there. I honestly thought they'd sell out of them in an hour. Apparently they made tons and tons, as they did with the iPad 3. They got the supply down to a neuroscience. I don't need it, really want it to even to try out.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Bought a 32GB Black and 16GB Black WiFi model.

Got my confirmation for 11/2 ship. I ordered via Apple Store App within the first 10 mins. Email confirmation came in at 12:09am PDT.

LOL at people who said it was a ripoff (it is IMO)

Remember, iPhone 5 sold out in about 20 minutes too.

Didn't the 5 at least get an hour before they started pushing the date back?

small initial allocations due to low screen yield numbers and a massive international rollout...

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about the screen yield numbers. This seems really fast, even for Apple standards.

Bumhead

Banned
Black 16gb ordered here in the UK.

I did toy with the idea of white but having to wait 2 weeks made an already quite easy decision even easier.

Pachimari

Ordered iPad Mini 16GB WiFi in black. The choice of the black color were an impulse as I really couldn't decide which to go for.

WiFi is fine for me, they got WiFi at my school, at home and at various malls and restaurants. I also have my iPhone 5 I can use as a hotspot.

16GB is also perfectly fine. I got an iPad 2 32GB for all of my games. I'll only use my iPad Mini for writing and reading and small games likes Real Solitaire and Wordfeud.

SteveWD40

So, as an iOS gaming device, any downside to the Mini? I like the idea of more storage for less cash and the smaller screen should make virtual controls more comfortable than on the iPad, but my concern is how it will far with iPad games designed around the big screen?

So say BG:EE for example, which seems so use every inch of the real estate, or things like MTG. I would be interested to see how they run on the "smaller" screen (accepting that the res is the same as the iPad2).

Buying a tablet with a 163 PPI screen in 2012 is just odd.

I'm actually going from retina iPad to iPad mini.

As slick as the retina is I hate the weight and size of the device I currently have. Until i had a laptop I loved my iPad, now I barley touch it unless using it for browsing or media. At this point I would use a smaller device much more.

The usability for me outweighs the retina, would I love a retina mini sure? Will I get one this thin with this battery life anytime soon? Hell no. Plus apple needs a reason to make me upgrade right?

The bigger concession I am making is downgrading to 512mb of RAM :(

Was kinda dicking around on the Apple store just now, saw the iPad mini still had a delivery date of November 2nd. So I decided to pick one out, just for fun because I don't have the cash right now, and this offer pops up for an Apple credit card with no interest if you buy under $999 and pay it off in 6 months. So I think, what the fuck, may as well apply even though I won't get approved.

I got approved.

I think, this is dangerous, credit cards are dangerous, be careful with this you don't need another credit card bill. But then I reason with myself, I can only use it for Apple products which I buy maybe once every blue moon, it's no shipping, no interest, it's 6 months to pay off less than $400, I can easily pay it off in time. Especially with my birthday in November and Christmas coming soon after.

So my finger slipped and I ordered a 32Gig iPad mini, black, Wi-Fi. Then my finger slipped again and I added a grey Smart Cover.

WHOOPS!

Still, that's only like just over $500 to pay off in 6 months. Not a problem.

But, odd thing, it's 1:30AM here and all through check-out it said "Estimated Shipping: Delivers Nov 2"

My order is currently processing so I suppose it could just be that the Apple site hadn't updated, and honestly it's not a BIG DEAL if I don't get it on the 2nd. But still.

Wheee

Edit: Even the confirmation email says it's going to deliver on the 2nd. Wowzers.

Pachimari

I think I will never sell my iPad 2, it's thinnes and weight is just the best of all of the regular iPads. :D Though, my iPad Mini will feel much better.

I'm thinking of buying a red smart cover.

They're all at a romney rally

ByNpj.gif

Bumhead

Banned
I'm thinking of buying a red smart cover.

I went for Grey although kind of wish I'd gone for something a little more colourful. A black/slate iPad with a Grey cover sounds kind of boring, if a little more uniform than slapping pink on it or something I suppose.

Did anyone pay extra for shipping? I've ordered from Apple online before but can't remember what shipping I paid for, if any. I've simply gone for free standard shipping with the mini, which does say Apple will ship via a courier for expensive or heavy items, but does anyone have any negative experience with Apples standard shipping?

I was at the mercy of the Royal Mail waiting for a Vita from Amazon earlier this year and would rather avoid that clusterfuck ever happening again. My 1st gen launch iPad came from Apple a day early and via a courier but I can't remember if that was with free shipping or not.

Pachimari

I went for Grey although kind of wish I'd gone for something a little more colourful. A black/slate iPad with a Grey cover sounds kind of boring, if a little more uniform than slapping pink on it or something I suppose.

Did anyone pay extra for shipping? I've ordered from Apple online before but can't remember what shipping I paid for, if any. I've simply gone for free standard shipping with the mini, which does say Apple will ship via a courier for expensive or heavy items, but does anyone have any negative experience with Apples standard shipping?

I was at the mercy of the Royal Mail waiting for a Vita from Amazon earlier this year and would rather avoid that clusterfuck ever happening again. My 1st gen launch iPad came from Apple a day early and via a courier but I can't remember if that was with free shipping or not.

I actually went ahead and bought the Product Red smart cover.

I have a black smart cover and a grey smart case for my iPad 2, so I figured I would like to try something more colorful this time and I think red and black goes along real well. :)

So no GPS on this mofo? (The wi-fi version, at least.)

Jesus Christ, Apple.
Don't all their WiFi products lack GPS?

Fuck I totally should have got a Product Red smart cover! That with the black and slate would have looked siiiiiiiick.

What is everyone going to use their minis for? I'm thinking primarily games. My iPhone is just a little too small for most games, but the iPad is a little too big and unwieldy. The iPad mini seems like it will be just about perfect, and it'll play iPad AND iPhone games.

So I'll have

iPhone 5 for social, travel, photos, and videos
iPad mini for games, music, and possibly books
iPad (OG) loaded with movies/TV shows (for when I visit my parent's house and want to watch stuff with my dad via his Apple TV)

Edit: I should clarify when I say music for the iPad mini I mean music creation with Garage Band and a few other apps. I use Spotify and Amazon and some other streaming apps for actually listening to music on my iPhone to keep it light and running fast.

Top Bottom