• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Pachimari

Fuck I totally should have got a Product Red smart cover! That with the black and slate would have looked siiiiiiiick.

What is everyone going to use their minis for? I'm thinking primarily games. My iPhone is just a little too small for most games, but the iPad is a little too big and unwieldy. The iPad mini seems like it will be just about perfect, and it'll play iPad AND iPhone games.

So I'll have

iPhone 5 for social, travel, photos, and videos
iPad mini for games, music, and possibly books
iPad (OG) loaded with movies/TV shows (for when I visit my parent's house and want to watch stuff with my dad via his Apple TV)

iPhone 5: For everything on the road and as my GPS.
iPad 2: Is my game hub. Will ONLY be used for games.
iPad Mini: For reading books, writing notes, editing PDFs and for all my regular apps.

I also ordered a 16GB mini, as I'm using Spotify, Netflix, Dropbox and such cloud services anyway.

This is kind of a bizzarre question, but will I be able to sync the backups from my iPad to my iPad mini? Obviously iPhones/iPods and iPads can't share backups, but I want to keep all my current game saves from the stuff that's on my OG iPad and transfer it to the mini. Will that be possible in any way, or is there even any way to know right now?

Also, I wonder what iPhone apps will look like on the mini, both in normal view and in 2X mode?

LCfiner

This is kind of a bizzarre question, but will I be able to sync the backups from my iPad to my iPad mini? Obviously iPhones/iPods and iPads can't share backups, but I want to keep all my current game saves from the stuff that's on my OG iPad and transfer it to the mini. Will that be possible in any way, or is there even any way to know right now?

Also, I wonder what iPhone apps will look like on the mini, both in normal view and in 2X mode?

yes. also, iphones and ipads can share backups. incompatible apps would be excluded form the restore, though

Cheebo

Banned
I got my Nexus 7 and it's a very nice tablet and love Jelly Bean (more than iOS in a lot of ways) but man the app situtation is really really terrible. I can't handle being stuck using all these phone apps on a tablet, especially when most android phone apps aren't even as good as the iOS phone apps. iPad mini even with the lower rez is the better option just for the iPad apps. That and the Nexus 7 feels really cheap, the iPad mini I doubt will have that cheap build quality feel.

Somnid

Trying to decided between the iPad mini and Nexus 7.

Really just want it for browsing and video playback on flights...

I think anything will do that well enough whether it be Kindle, Nexus or iPad. Here's some things to consider:

-Nexus will have the best performing browser
-iPad Mini cannot play HD movies
-Kindle Fires in general are built for movie playing including better audio and a better screen as well as better movie content options (also available on iOS but not currently Android) though your other app selection is a bit bare.

I'd say a mini isn't what you're after here unless you have a large iTunes library. If you have your heart on a Nexus get a Nexus but for your use cases you may also consider a Kindle Fire. I'd also say if size is less of a consideration to look at other models as well as they will still be plenty carry-on portable.

Cheebo

Banned
I think anything will do that well enough whether it be Kindle, Nexus or iPad. Here's some things to consider:

-Nexus will have the best performaing browser
-Kindle Fires in general are built for movie playing including better audio and a better screen as well as better movie content options (also available on iOS but not currently Android) though your other app selection is a bit bare.

Safai on iOS performs a lot better than Chrome on my Nexus 7 in my experience. Nexus 7 despite project butter is still quite a bit more sluggish than iOS and Safari.

And as for movies the screen quality despite the resolution on the iPad minis bound to be far better, the screen on the Nexus 7 is pretty cheap and had washed out colors.

It can, just not natively. And at that size, it's not really a big deal. A 720p movie scaled to the Mini will look fine. That HTC 1080p phone? Cool tech, but am I gonna get a blu-ray experience on a 5" screen? No, I want to watch movies on a big TV. I would prefer to watch a 480p movie on a 40" TV than a 1080p movie on a 5" phone.

And the iPad Mini can output HD movies to a TV if you want that.

Somnid

Safai on iOS performs a lot better than Chrome on my Nexus 7 in my experience. Nexus 7 despite project butter is still quite a bit more sluggish than iOS and Safari.

And as for movies the screen quality despite the resolution on the iPad minis bound to be far better, the screen on the Nexus 7 is pretty cheap and had washed out colors.

Depends on the device. An iPad 3 or iPhone 5 should beat out a Nexus 7 in render speed due to the faster CPU/GPUs but an A5 does not bench faster in javascript performance.

Cheebo

Banned
Depends on the device. An iPad 3 or iPhone 5 should beat out a Nexus 7 in render speed due to the faster CPU/GPUs but an A5 does not bench faster in javascript performance.

Not talking about bench speeds, but just overall smoothness. iPhone 4S/iPad 2 are still a lot less laggy in just general usage than my experience with my Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean.

Somnid

It can, just not natively. And at that size, it's not really a big deal. A 720p movie scaled to the Mini will look fine. That HTC 1080p phone? Cool tech, but am I gonna get a blu-ray experience on a 5" screen? No, I want to watch movies on a big TV. I would prefer to watch a 480p movie on a 40" TV than a 1080p movie on a 5" phone.

And the iPad Mini can output HD movies to a TV if you want that.

This argument makes no sense especially in context but cool, buy yourself an iPad Mini.

Not talking about bench speeds, but just overall smoothness. iPhone 4S/iPad 2 are still a lot less laggy in just general usage than my experience with my Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean.

I haven't noticed this but I have less time with a Nexus 7. Worth noting.

This argument makes no sense especially in context but cool, buy yourself an iPad Mini.
In the context of what? Life? I'm not really in the market for a Mini, quite happy with my iPad 3. I was trying to say that the quality of a movie experience is always compromised by screen size in all portable devices, and seeing a 720p movie natively on a 1280x800 7" screen is not going to be a significantly better experience than the same 720p movie scaled to a 1024x768 7.9" screen.

Indeed, going from an iPad 2 to an iPad 3, the massive increase in resolution made barely any difference to 720p video content. The improvement in colour quality was much more significant. And the iPad 3 still sucks for watching movies compared to a TV.

Please note that I'm talking just about video content here. I'm not saying PPI doesn't matter in general - the Nexus 7 clearly has an advantage there and will deliver a more 'retina' like image quality for still images and text. I just think that for video content, the lack of native 720p is not an issue, and the colour quality would have a bigger effect on the content. I'm interested to see the in-depth display tests.

Dunlop

Does the mini have GPS?

Just assured a friend that it will (she wants to use it as a GPS in the car also), not that I look at Apple's site I just see Wifi and Digital Compass, the 3gs version has "assisted GPS"

Did I just goof?

Cheebo

Banned
Does the mini have GPS?

Just assured a friend that it will (she wants to use it as a GPS in the car also), not that I look at Apple's site I just see Wifi and Digital Compass, the 3gs version has "assisted GPS"

Did I just goof?

LTE one has GPS, not wi-fi.

Somnid

Does the mini have GPS?

Did I just goof?

Assisted GPS is accurate enough but only the LTE version has anything, base models don't.

mil6es

Trying to decided between the iPad mini and Nexus 7.

Really just want it for browsing and video playback on flights...

I say get the Nexus 7, if your just browsing and using it for movies its the best option,

-cheaper
-can display HD natively
-can put your own movies on it without using proprietary software(itunes)
-cheaper

Vyer

-Nexus will have the best performing browser

I'd say a mini isn't what you're after here unless you have a large iTunes library. If you have your heart on a Nexus get a Nexus but for your use cases you may also consider a Kindle Fire. I'd also say if size is less of a consideration to look at other models as well as they will still be plenty carry-on portable.

The Fire would have better movie content options than the Nexus, but not the mini. The Mini would get both iTunes and Amazon.

How much would first gen iPads be sold now?

I'm in a campaigns course where we have to turn in a book and we want to make an interactive ebook

Pachimari

The black one is sold out here in Denmark.

I'm actually thinking what I would use a GPS inside the Cellular version for. I mean for showing where I am on Facebook, as a GPS and for location based services I guess. I don't think I would be using that a lot on my Mini, rather on my iPhone 5.

Ravager61

I'm strongly considering buying an iPad mini. I already have a macbook and an iPhone. I think my primary usage of a tablet would be for reading comics and maybe some limited gaming. The iPad is better for those, right?

Zeth

Think I'm gonna place an order for the white. I think the back will hold up better and smudge less, then again the slate would match my iPhone 5.

LCfiner

I'm strongly considering buying an iPad mini. I already have a macbook and an iPhone. I think my primary usage of a tablet would be for reading comics and maybe some limited gaming. The iPad is better for those, right?

I think the 10" ipad screen is better for comics than any other size. they can be read with no zooming.

the retina screen and high quality comic images makes for a awesome experience but the retina model is noticeably heavier than, say, an ipad 2. Either way, I tended to use two hands holding the ipad while reading comics and it was never an issue.

Those can be done even better on the retina iPad, get the mini if being small and thin are a absolute must

Pachimari

Actually, I think I'll use my iPad 2 for comics too instead of my iPad Mini. Now my iPad 2 will have more space anyway, as I'm erasing all apps on it (not games though).

Ovid

So both iPad's have gone on sale this morning. Do you guys think that the iPad 4 will be sold out? I would prefer to purchase it at the Apple Store next week.

I'd be sorely tempted by the Mini if not for the fact that comics are just so much better on my iPad 3. The iPad 2 was pretty poor for comics - I was always zooming in. I never have to zoom in on the iPad 3. If I want to see more detail, I just hold it closer to my face. Sounds trivial, but it's a remarkably different experience to zooming in.

I got my Nexus 7 and it's a very nice tablet and love Jelly Bean (more than iOS in a lot of ways) but man the app situtation is really really terrible. I can't handle being stuck using all these phone apps on a tablet, especially when most android phone apps aren't even as good as the iOS phone apps. iPad mini even with the lower rez is the better option just for the iPad apps. That and the Nexus 7 feels really cheap, the iPad mini I doubt will have that cheap build quality feel.

This is exactly where I am with my N7. I love Jellybean, but the app experience is just terrible, and I keep finding myself returning to my iPad for just about everything sans reading books on the Kindle app, browsing, and email.

I bought the Mini for my wife, but I'm going to wait until the inevitable Retina refresh, because I just can't see myself going back to reading at that resolution-it's bad enough on the N7, which is significantly better than what the Mini is going to be.

This is exactly where I am with my N7. I love Jellybean, but the app experience is just terrible, and I keep finding myself returning to my iPad for just about everything sans reading books on the Kindle app, browsing, and email.

I bought the Mini for my wife, but I'm going to wait until the inevitable Retina refresh, because I just can't see myself going back to reading at that resolution-it's bad enough on the N7, which is significantly better than what the Mini is going to be.
I was just in the apple store and totally agree. My gf has the iPad 3 and looking at the 2 screen was meh

Ok, the screen tech...does it have the same lamination process as iPhone? I know it's not "in cell" like the latest iPhone and iPod touch, but was hoping it would still implement the same lamination technique used as the iPhone 4 and 4S. That'll at least make the screen look better even with lower res.

I'm in a campaigns course where we have to turn in a book and we want to make an interactive ebook
Don't do it? iPad 1 does not have iOS6, and is essentially truncated as far as being development goes from this point onwards for apps.

Don't go for a 1st gen iPad. This isn't some "gotta have the latest" tech talk or whatever...it just straight up isn't a good purchase right now. Try to find a used iPad 2 if you can.

Alchemy

I think the 10" ipad screen is better for comics than any other size. they can be read with no zooming.

the retina screen and high quality comic images makes for a awesome experience but the retina model is noticeably heavier than, say, an ipad 2. Either way, I tended to use two hands holding the ipad while reading comics and it was never an issue.

When I read comics I generally use the panel zooming, so the iPad mini will be perfect for it. Instead of flipping through pages you flip through panels. The lighter mini will be awesome for it.

bob page

Same, sold my N7 because of the app sitation. Jelly Bean was great but the apps made all of their effort on the OS front pointless.

I'll probably wait until Mini reviews start coming out to see if it's worth it for me (the Google event may also change things).

LCfiner

When I read comics I generally use the panel zooming, so the iPad mini will be perfect for it. Instead of flipping through pages you flip through panels. The lighter mini will be awesome for it.

true enough but I read enough comics with page-sized panels that I needed to see a full page fairly often

MRORANGE

tempted to cancel my iphone order, not sure on why i would need both, icloud seems pretty weak and nothing amazing, part of the problem is that I will have two devices that will do pretty much the same thing and the benefits of syncing isn't that great to keep both devices.

All I want from a phone is 4g and to be able to tether it really, the ipad mini seems perfect and makes a ios phone redundant considering the ipad will be with me everywhere.

can anyone change my mind>

MRORANGE

tempted to cancel my iphone order, not sure on why i would need both, icloud seems pretty weak and nothing amazing, part of the problem is that I will have two devices that will do pretty much the same thing and the benefits of syncing isn't that great to keep both devices.

All I want from a phone is 4g and to be able to tether it really, the ipad mini seems perfect and makes a ios phone redundant considering the ipad will be with me everywhere.

can anyone change my mind?

whoops: double post.

Top Bottom