• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Zeth

I ordered the white one so I should have enough time to bail out if I change my mind. My slate iPhone is beat up way too much for being a few weeks old.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Fell asleep just 10 minutes before the online store opened. :/ Ah well, I can wait two weeks.

Got a 32GB white Wi-Fi.

jbueno

Fuck I totally should have got a Product Red smart cover! That with the black and slate would have looked siiiiiiiick.

What is everyone going to use their minis for? I'm thinking primarily games. My iPhone is just a little too small for most games, but the iPad is a little too big and unwieldy. The iPad mini seems like it will be just about perfect, and it'll play iPad AND iPhone games.

Mostly work, to view documents and books while on call and such things. Of course some gaming on the side wouldn´t hurt, I´ll double dip on Cave games that I have on Xbox already and of course DDP Maximum.

Going to be my first Apple product too, I´m a bit excited.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder if the white/silver one sold out first because people are leery of the black/slate thanks to Scuffgate

Might have played a part, but white seems to be the default colour for iPads from what I've seen.

My black iPhone 5 has been caseless since I got it though, so no worries here. It's still scuff-free.

Ravager61

I'd be sorely tempted by the Mini if not for the fact that comics are just so much better on my iPad 3. The iPad 2 was pretty poor for comics - I was always zooming in. I never have to zoom in on the iPad 3. If I want to see more detail, I just hold it closer to my face. Sounds trivial, but it's a remarkably different experience to zooming in.

I honestly just don't want to spend the money to get a full size iPad. Plus, even though I am going to be using for comics, the full sized iPad has always just seemed too large to me. I want something a little more travel sized.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably be biting on the iPad Mini.

mrkgoo

I wonder if the white/silver one sold out first because people are leery of the black/slate thanks to Scuffgate

Interesting point. I think the black looks really good, and yes, a red cover would be totally sweet.

It took 10 whole minutes for them to sell out? Bomba.

WHO IS THE MARKET?!

I really want one. In my current use of the iPad, a mini would go down really well for me.

You know, babies lend to doing a lot of stuff with one hand :)

Talon

tempted to cancel my iphone order, not sure on why i would need both, icloud seems pretty weak and nothing amazing, part of the problem is that I will have two devices that will do pretty much the same thing and the benefits of syncing isn't that great to keep both devices.

All I want from a phone is 4g and to be able to tether it really, the ipad mini seems perfect and makes a ios phone redundant considering the ipad will be with me everywhere.

can anyone change my mind?

What exactly seems weak about iCloud? Unified messages, calendar, and reminders across my computer (browser), iPad and iPhone is pretty useful.

mrkgoo

Hey! congratulations

nope!

Heh, thanks. Been a while now, though. Guess I don't post enough :)

Something I've been learning about use case scenarios changing. I would love a mini. Seems perfect for what I use an iPad for now. I'm just a little dubious at the power. Sure it's powerful enough now, but seeing as it's a bit on the cusp, I'm concerned it might get a bit left behind if there's a leap of tech next year and apps/IOS change to reflect that.

Like if ios7 is a major change and doesn't work on the ipad2. I doubt even apple would do that to the mini, but who knows. The iPad 1 was such a secretive project that it suffered from a little lack of foresight in specs and where iOS was heading. I wonder if the mini would be the same? How long will it remain 'every inch a full iPad'?

I don't see why there is so much love for white ones, black ones have a much sexier backside.

Yeah after messing around with the black/slate Touch, I am a believer in that color. Looks great in person. Otherwise I'm sure I would have ordered the white Mini.

Black it is!

BrettWeir

So damn torn between the mini and a Fire HD 8.9. I absolutely love my (OG) Fire, but do wish it were a little larger. I have it rooted with Jellybean, so Nexus 7 is of no interest to me. I love my Amazon Prime membership......which can be used on both, just more integrated on Fire HD.

Biggest downfall for both devices (imo), is that Google Music doesnt work. I LOVE my Google Music. Especially since I dont need to use up valuable storage space on my device.

Grrrrr.

Cheebo

Banned
So damn torn between the mini and a Fire HD 8.9. I absolutely love my (OG) Fire, but do wish it were a little larger. I have it rooted with Jellybean, so Nexus 7 is of no interest to me. I love my Amazon Prime membership......which can be used on both, just more integrated on Fire HD.

Biggest downfall for both devices (imo), is that Google Music doesnt work. I LOVE my Google Music. Especially since I dont need to use up valuable storage space on my device.

Grrrrr.
Can't you just use Amazon's music streaming service on the iPad (or Fire) since there is an app for it and it does the same thing as Google Music?

Heh, thanks. Been a while now, though. Guess I don't post enough :)

Something I've been learning about use case scenarios changing. I would love a mini. Seems perfect for what I use an iPad for now. I'm just a little dubious at the power. Sure it's powerful enough now, but seeing as it's a bit on the cusp, I'm concerned it might get a bit left behind if there's a leap of tech next year and apps/IOS change to reflect that.

Like if ios7 is a major change and doesn't work on the ipad2. I doubt even apple would do that to the mini, but who knows. The iPad 1 was such a secretive project that it suffered from a little lack of foresight in specs and where iOS was heading. I wonder if the mini would be the same? How long will it remain 'every inch a full iPad'?

Dude, I can identify with this worry but think, the 3GS is still supported with iOS 6. It's four generations old and it's still supported. The iPad mini will be launching with iOS 6, I'm fairly certain it'll hold up for at least the next two-three years.

mrkgoo

Dude, I can identify with this worry but think, the 3GS is still supported with iOS 6. It's four generations old and it's still supported. The iPad mini will be launching with iOS 6, I'm fairly certain it'll hold up for at least the next two-three years.

Supported is not the same as useable, sadly.

As for mini, I'm tempted to wait. Well, actually, I don't really have an option to buy at all, so that,s a bit misleading:p

So from an iphone/no tablet setup, I am looking to move to a android phone/iPad setup. I really do think tablet apps are a determining factor for me, but more and more I've liked what I see on the Android side of things. Aside from music, I'm not really concerned about interactivity between the two.

I'm also looking into using the Android for teethering with the mini ipad, using Sprint's unlimited data plan. Every month I fear running out of the 2GB I currently have with AT&T. Are there any better setups or carriers for this? Anybody have any experience with this?

mrkgoo

Ok, that's a fair point

I think Apple has learnt their lesson somewhat, after the disappointment of ios4 on the 3G.

They dared not put ios6 on the original iPad! And hopefully they are a bit more forward than the oriigina iPad specs wise.

I can still see ios7 doing something new, but then relating to, say, retina devices only. Ah, who know, it's all pointless speculation.

Still rocking my 3G and original iPad :p

iPhone 5 coming hopefully very soon.

MrMephistoX

Man the only thing that is making me debate upgrading my iPad 2 to an iPad Mini instead of a 4 is the weight (important for bed reading/surfing) and the style on the back.

I will probably still get the iPad4 but I wouldn't need to debate if they reduced the weight back to iPad2 levels and stylized the back the same.

I was set on getting an iPad mini because we're giving my 3 to my parents in law so they can stay connected with our newborn via Facetime but the lack of retina display killed it for me. I might get a replacement 4 at this point or wait until the inevitable iPad mini with Retina display launches or Apple finds a way to reduce the weight of the iPad 5. I prefer the larger screen but it's pretty hefty.

Sora_N

I don't own any apple products, but I see a lot of issues of not having retina display for this mini. My girlfriend owns an iPhone 4S, will she notice any difference if I got her the mini? She is an average/mainstream user.

I don't own any apple products, but I see a lot of issues of not having retina display for this mini. My girlfriend owns an iPhone 4S, will she notice any difference if I got her the mini? She is an average/mainstream user.

Probably not. It will have the new screen tech, so it it will have better contrast/color and the screen is closer to the front of the glass. It won't be as pixel dense, but the quality of the screen is higher.

LCfiner

she might notice (I'd be surprised if someone didn't notice) but she might not care. I dunno. how much does she read text on the 4S? Will she be reading a lot on the new mini? has she ever once commented on how crisp the screen looks on the 4S?

Talon

Probably not. It will have the new screen tech, so it it will have better contrast/color and the screen is closer to the front of the glass. It won't be as pixel dense, but the quality of the screen is higher.
Not to mention you hold the device further from your eyes than a phone.

Sora_N

she might notice (I'd be surprised if someone didn't notice) but she might not care. I dunno. how much does she read text on the 4S? Will she be reading a lot on the new mini? has she ever once commented on how crisp the screen looks on the 4S?

She uses the 4S for texting, but not really reading. Some casual games.

I want to get the mini so she can read her lecture notes.

Yes she has commented on how crisp the screen looks.

It's really easy to tell form a 3GS to a 4 but the iPad mini has a great LCD panel, it just wont be as sharp.

mrkgoo

Not to mention you hold the device further from your eyes than a phone.
Iv never really bought this argument. For sure after a certain size you have to be further away to take in large screen.

But I ten to have most mobile devices at te same distance. Usig my iPhone right now. It's in my lap.

Talon

Iv never really bought this argument. For sure after a certain size you have to be further away to take in large screen.

But I ten to have most mobile devices at te same distance. Usig my iPhone right now. It's in my lap.
You must love to squint.

My laptop is used further from my eyes than my tablet which is further than my phone.

Husker86

Grrrrr.

Not tryin to talk ya one way or another, but just to let you know (since I recently discovered this myself), there are a few nice third party Google Music Apps on the iOS AppStore. They work just the same as the stock app on Android in that you can select playlists/songs/albums to save for offline listening.

I'm interested in seeing the Fire HD 8.9 screen.

Bumhead

Banned
Both my items - 16GB Black Wifi mini and a grey Smart Cover - are "Preparing For Shipment".

Anyone else?

Seems an advanced stage considering I only ordered this morning. Is this pretty standard practice for an Apple pre-order or are we likely to see items being shipped ahead of the 2nd?

mrkgoo

You must love to squint.

My laptop is used further from my eyes than my tablet which is further than my phone.

Nah, I guess my vision doesn't,t preclude holding devices at at different distances. My laptop, yeah that is further away.

I use normal GAF on iPad 1 and click on things without zooming either.

Alchemy

Both my items - 16GB Black Wifi mini and a grey Smart Cover - are "Preparing For Shipment".

Anyone else?

Seems an advanced stage considering I only ordered this morning. Is this pretty standard practice for an Apple pre-order or are we likely to see items being shipped ahead of the 2nd?

I ordered at midnight last night and my mini is still processing -.-

dwebo

Anyone else?

either way, you're not getting it before the 2nd. fedex/ups or whoever will hold it until then

MRORANGE

What exactly seems weak about iCloud? Unified messages, calendar, and reminders across my computer (browser), iPad and iPhone is pretty useful.

I'm a Windows guy, I always go back to the desktop so I won't have half the features. I get my music from bandcamp or spotify and rip my own movies from DVD's , for icloud to work I would assume you would need to be invested into the itunes system which I am not.
Unified messages, calendar, and remindersI can appreciate to some extent.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm a Windows guy, I always go back to the desktop so I won't have half the features. I get my music from bandcamp or spotify and rip my own movies from DVD's , for icloud to work I would assume you would need to be invested into the itunes system which I am not.

I don't use iTunes for anything other than the occasional local backup, and enjoy the benefits of iCloud.
It's basically for backup, and sharing photos/contacts/calenders/notes/reminders and more between devices.

Talon

I use Spotify as well. Barely have anything from the iTunes store.

I use a Windows PC as well. I used to rely on third party solutions for reminders and tasks, but I've found Reminders across my devices and on the iCloud site to suffice for my needs.

Sora_N

For those who own(ed) an iPad, which cases are most useful? I was thinking of that 3 fold magnetic smart cover, but I noticed one that turns (so you can do portrait and landscape whenever you want) after you stand it up.

gblues

Banned
tempted to cancel my iphone order, not sure on why i would need both, icloud seems pretty weak and nothing amazing, part of the problem is that I will have two devices that will do pretty much the same thing and the benefits of syncing isn't that great to keep both devices.

All I want from a phone is 4g and to be able to tether it really, the ipad mini seems perfect and makes a ios phone redundant considering the ipad will be with me everywhere.

can anyone change my mind>

Depends greatly on your data usage.

An iPhone uses post-paid billing for data usage. That means that, once your monthly quota is used up, you pay based on what you use. An iPad, by contrast, typically uses prepaid billing. When you exhaust your quota, your iPad tells you that your data plan is exhausted and you have to buy another plan or wait until the next month.

To decide if it makes sense if you should keep the iPhone, determine how much data you need and compare the plans to see which is less expensive: an iPhone with a phone package, data package, and marginal data overages, or buying pre-paid blocks of data ad hoc.

Top Bottom