• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

JayDub

The more I use this thing the more I'm convinced this is what the iPad should always have been. Jobs had this flat wrong. This should be the iPad and they should call the larger one the iPad XL/Pro or something.

Knowing how Jobs was, he usually focuses on one or few aspects and build the product around that. I think that one of the "main" (note, not ONLY) things he focused on was the keyboard. Being able to type almost as comfortably as a keyboard was probably big for him. As seen, typing on the mini is not as comfortable with both hands. The way people type on the mini is similar to how you would type on a smartphone - with your thumbs.

The mini's size is PERFECT, though.

Kaladin

I'm heading to Best Buy tomorrow and I'm looking at 3 options here.....

Reduced Price iPad 3 32GB = $549.99

iPad Mini 32GB (if I like it) = $429.99

iPad 4 (w/ Retina Display) 16GB = $499.99

What option should I choose here? I don't really think I will need 32GB aside from trips where I won't have access to wifi, but it would be nice to have the extra space. Right now my iPhone 5 only has 5.9GB of 32GB used as apps. I will be using this to replace my aging laptop and it will primarily be a media consumption/web browsing device which I can do some word processing on if needed. I think I'm leaning towards an iPad 4 16GB, but I'm not sure.

Vyer

I won't know until I actually see a mini, but I maintain people would still prefer iPad retina/4 size......if it weighed as much as the mini.

Honestly the mini seems so good that when they retina-ify it I might say fuck it and just buy one of these.

keyboards-and-cases-zaggkeys-mini-7-hero.jpg

I'm assuming by then office for ipad will be out. Latest rumour was spring 2013 right :p

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep...won't be making any more purchases through the online store. Can't do any exchanges at the Apple Store...would need to pay shipping to send it back.

railGUN

Banned
Yep...won't be making any more purchases through the online store. Can't do any exchanges at the Apple Store...would need to pay shipping to send it back.

Did Apple say you'd have to pay shipping? I sent back an iPad and they gave me a prepaid shipping label to print out and use.

JayDub

Wait, what? I thought that was the benefit to order from the Apple Online Store is that you can exchange it at any retail store?

The more I use this thing the more I'm convinced this is what the iPad should always have been. Jobs had this flat wrong. This should be the iPad and they should call the larger one the iPad XL/Pro or something.

For those who rather use an iPad instead of a laptop explain to me why the iPad mini is better then the iPad?

dc89

I don't get this. I'm planning on picking up a iPad 4 but isn't the iPad 3 better than the Mini in every single way except for like weight an thickness?

:lol I guess I was over the top. But there is something really appealing about the Mini.

Kaladin

What option should I choose here? I don't really think I will need 32GB aside from trips where I won't have access to wifi, but it would be nice to have the extra space. Right now my iPhone 5 only has 5.9GB of 32GB used as apps. I will be using this to replace my aging laptop and it will primarily be a media consumption/web browsing device which I can do some word processing on if needed. I think I'm leaning towards an iPad 4 16GB, but I'm not sure.

anyone?

Apath

I liked the white mini a lot more than the black one. Looked much more elegant. The device didn't wow me like I thought it would though. Everyone's over-hyped impressions here put my expectations too high.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I am such a gadget [expletive deleted]. I typing this on my black iPad mini and its pretty good. They do make a good point, tablet specific apps DO make a difference.

I still like my N7, though.

I agree, completely. The mini will probably be the only iPad leaving my house now.

Alchemy

100% agreed. Since Apple is discontinuing the A5X (unlike the A5. which is still being supported), Im guessing they will put the A6 in there next year. A6, Retina display, improved battery tech to at least match the big daddy iPad (doubt they'll try to reach 12+ hours again due to beefier hardware), and it will be hotcakes.

Its amazing because I was watching videos for the OG Macbook Air, and the backlash on performance to price ration were huge. Lots of people saying how it will supplement your desktop, but not replace it. Looking at the MBA now, it is definitely a desktop replacement. And the iPad took over for the "desktop supplement" role in the lineup.

If all you do is surf the web and read email practically any netbook is a desktop replacement. No way in hell do I consider mine a desktop replacement. I don't think a computer in that form factor could ever be a true desktop replacement for me, I need the horsepower a tower provides.

For me the iPad fills its own role as a media consumption device. I read on it far more than I do my computer because of the form factor, and it will be even more true thanks to the mini's size.

How spoiled are you with the Retina or a high resolution display on your phone or any tablet? If yes, go with the iPad 4, if not go with the mini. Since you don't need the extra space, stick with the 16GB. On your next iteration, may be you can go for the 32GB.

If you wanna budget it up and get an iPad 3, I will suggest looking at the refurb iPad 3 on Apple Refurbs starting at $379 rather than buying a brand new one. Better deal.

I never had a retina iPad, so I'm not spoiled. Should I get the mini?

Yes, if you are in the market for a 7inch. Do look at the Nexus 7, unless you need the iOS.

I have to say, I wish the black iPad 4 had that black back on the Mini. Looks leagues better.

There is always one thing that Apple fucks you over with. Let us look at this year -

iPad 3 - Pretty good until you started using it and felt the need for a better processor/graphics
iPhone 5 - Bigger screen, I wish it was a 4.5inch in a very slim factor, may be next year
iPad Mini - Retina display and we all know it is coming next year.
iPad 4 - Redesign, similar to the iPhone 5 or the iPad mini with the black/white slate. We know that it will be coming next year too.

Final words, this is the tech world and you are never satisfied.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright, speaking to an Apple Online Store rep and yeah they will send me a shipping label. Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the Canadian Apple Retail Store sucks for returns. :(

Kaladin

How spoiled are you with the Retina or a high resolution display on your phone or any tablet? If yes, go with the iPad 4, if not go with the mini. Since you don't need the extra space, stick with the 16GB. On your next iteration, may be you can go for the 32GB.

If you wanna budget it up and get an iPad 3, I will suggest looking at the refurb iPad 3 on Apple Refurbs starting at $379 rather than buying a brand new one. Better deal.

I like the display on my iPhone 5, but it's my first experience with retina. I have never had it on a tablet or anything bigger though I think resolution is an important feature for me.

I won't know until I actually see a mini, but I maintain people would still prefer iPad retina/4 size......if it weighed as much as the mini.

Nope, not me, not my wife, and not my sis. This size is perfect. My sister came over to check it out and then drove to Target to buy one for herself immediately. I'm sure opinions will vary, but I'm guessing the Mini is going to be the popular iPad due to size/weight. It won't destroy Amazon or Google at this price, but I can see it cannibalizing iPad original sales. Time will tell.

Vyer

Nope, not me, not my wife, and not my sis. This size is perfect. My sister came over to check it out and then drove to Target to buy one for herself immediately. I'm sure opinions will vary, but I'm guessing the Mini is going to be the popular iPad due to size/weight. It won't destroy Amazon or Google at this price, but I can see it cannibalizing iPad original sales. Time will tell.

I can't quite tell if you are disagreeing with me or not. :). I think it has more to do with weight (and price) than screen size. I have a 7" tablet in the Nexus. I'd trade that screen size if I could get the weight of the Nexus to go with it.

But yeah, I haven't seen a mini yet so I could feel differently when I do.

Alchemy

This is SO not what anyone who owned a regular iPad was saying just 12 months ago.

Well its pretty much how I used my iPad 1, though I wasn't the one who purchased it for myself in the first place. I found it to be redundant and only used it for reading comics.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If I had been spoiled by a Retina display on an iPad I'd probably not get the iPad mini this time and would wait until the next update when it most likely has Retina. But then again, if I had a Retina iPad, I probably wouldn't be upgrading this year anyway and would be waiting for next October anyway. So really, iPad mini for me!

My iPhone and old iPod touch were Retina but I'm used to a non-Retina display on the iPad. I can stand it another year or two.

Ryck

Found a dead pixel while using Chrome, it's at the bottom left of the screen but I can't unsee it now. -__-

rezuth

Has anyone switched from an iPad 3 to the Mini and if so is the screen an issue? Will my retina usage have spoiled me?

Fox Mulder

damn.

I love the ipad, so I'll definitely have to get some hands on time with the mini.

I'd suggest looking at Apple's website for a real reduced price ipad 3. They sell refurbished models with the 16GB at $379 and the 32GB at $469. Buying one from a retail store is dumb now.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Ugh. I am such a gadget freak. Even though I have a Nexus 7, and am very happy with it, I keep checking this thread for photos of the device, and impressions.

Have a GS3 that I adore, yet I still lurked the iPhone 5 thread.

I have a problem.

COCts.jpg

JOIN US

jts

...hate me...
Has anyone switched from an iPad 3 to the Mini and if so is the screen an issue? Will my retina usage have spoiled me?
Well I switched from iPad 3 to iPad 2 which is even more extreme, and tbh the device I lay my eyes on all day has an even lower DPI, my MBP 13".

I love retina and everything, it's the future and I wish the day comes when all displays will be like that. But it's nothing I can live without just yet.

Strangely or not, the only display that I can't see myself going back is my phone's. I could manage if I had to of course but I really really really don't want to.

Maybe it's because retina right now seems to come at a cost on most devices except the iPhone where it's just perfect. Highest DPI and no drawbacks.

MRORANGE

How long does it take the ipad mini to charge? mine has been charging since 2 hours and is just over 50% :s

any way to make it charge faster?

I agree, it's the weight that is the problem. Some people may prefer the smaller size for dumping in a bag, but it's the lightness that is making people warm to the product. If you ask people why they prefer the size, they'll either say 'I can hold it in one hand more comfortably' or something vague like 'it just feels... right'. Both reasons can be equated to the weight. If the big iPad was the Mini's weight, it would be just as easy to hold in one hand, and would suddenly start to 'feel right' too.

Therefore I totally disagree with this. The iPad is the correct size, much more suitable for reading full-page comics and magazines. If anything it could be ever so slightly bigger (by keeping the same frame and reducing the bezel by about 3mm all round). It's just too heavy. If it shed around 250g it would suddenly make complete sense.

jts

...hate me...
How long does it take the ipad mini to charge? mine has been charging since 2 hours and is just over 50% :s

any way to make it charge faster?
The best bet would be a 10 or 12W USB charger like the ones that ship with the full size iPads, but it's yet to be known if the mini can make use of the extra wattage of those.

Top Bottom