• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Girlfriend went to bestbuy at 8 and she was the only one there lol, ended up returning our 2 16 gig 3rd gens, and grabbed two 32 gig 4th gens. Will all the apps I purchased be available for me to download once I set it up with my iTunes account?

bob page

OK, compared to the nexus 7 the 7 screen still looks better :) Seriously though, I played with an n7 after I left the Apple store this morning.
I don't doubt it, but I'm sure the difference between those two is quite negligible. I guess I'll see when mine arrives, as I also formerly owned a N7. The Cultofmac review makes an effort to post a dozen comparison screens between the mini and iPad 3. The resolution is less, we get it, but that's of absolutely no help to people coming from an iPad 2, other tablet, etc (which is quite a few people).

D6AMIA6N

It's obvious they could have done the Retina screen with the Mini, but why didn't they? Fear that it wouldn't sell well enough? To keep it as affordable as possible? To keep a split between the Retina and non-Retina devices?

Alchemy

Still waiting for Mr UPS Man to bring me the goods.

I honesty don't think I'll give a shit about the screen res. I'm still rocking my iPad 1 and this will be sharper than that, so I should be just fine.

Same exact situation as me, but I'm waiting for Mr. FedEx. Kinda pissed the mini wasn't shipped through UPS, they always drop off packages around 10am for me.

It's obvious they could have done the Retina screen with the Mini, but why didn't they? Fear that it wouldn't sell well enough? To keep it as affordable as possible? To keep a split between the Retina and non-Retina devices?

Because a retina mini would require the same exact resolution as the iPad 3/4 which is unrealistic in the mini form factor when you consider battery life and heat. iOS doesn't work with "just increase the resolution!".

I don't doubt it, but I'm sure the difference between those two is quite negligible. The Cultofmac review makes an effort to post a dozen comparison screens between the mini and iPad 3. The resolution is less, we get it, but that's of absolutely no help to people coming from an iPad 2, other tablet, etc (which is quite a few people).

If you're using a 2 you won't care but if you're coming from a 3 (like me) you might.

price. People are whining about the price now, can you imagine if it had a retina and was 399?

Probably:
-Price
-weight
-thickness
-Retina mini next year is a given now

Sh0k

Went to the store during lunch and I decided to get a mini black 32GB. I'm going to use the mini for one year because I'm sure that the next iPad upgrade will follow the mini, iPod touch and iPhone design.

When the new iPad comes out next year, hopefully lighter and a new design, I will give the mini to my wife to replace her Kindle Fire and get the bigger and re-designed iPad for me.

Coming from and iPad 2, the iPad mini screen is the same if not better. The retina iPads are nice, but way too heavy at the moment.

grkazan12

I will miss it, but I still feel good after selling my iPad 3. I might have jumped the gun a bit, but I really like the form factor of the mini going by all the reviews. Hopefully the second gen mini can get a retina bump next year. Agree with everyone else here that going from retina to non retina is the wort thing ever.

Anyone thinking they'll do it sometime in March or is Fall the new refresh for their iOS product line.

Korosenai

So i tried to call my walmart to see if they had any ipad minis.

Me - "do you have any ipad minis?"

Her - "never heard of it so i guess we dont"

Me - "...."

KtSlime

The more pixels you have in a display the more likely some of the pixels will be dead. The smaller the pixels the more likely there will be dead pixels. Who's to say what kind of yields they get on the display they use with the iPhone/iPod Touch, we don't have this data. There are lots of aspects to take into consideration, affordability plays a large part of it, how many they can realistically build plays a part, which devices are competing for which parts, physical constraints, etc. Since there is no more 3GS, they probably have lots of this DPI display available, and they are selling tons of Retina phones, so it is probably wasteful to use the tech on hardware with a smaller margin. Plus starting out with a lower resolution screen gives them a clear upgrade path. It's a smart business decision, and I think they will come out ahead because of it.

Pulled up a comic (HAPPY #1) and it looks pretty darn good to me.

Retina version will be amazing though.

Retina will be better, but my subscription to Entertainment Weekly looks really good on the Mini. Poor mini is going to have to spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

Radec

308g vs 652g

thats pretty huge weight difference to ipad 3/4.

I think many can compromise the screen quality gap of the 3/4 to the mini for it's size and weight.

LOL, I just read the cultofmac review. The screen is this thing's achilles heal, but lord almighty is that reviewer being hyperbolic when he talks about how bad the screen is. It's not retina quality, but it's also not as shitty as he says.

Pachimari

I absolutely love my iPad mini screen and I'm happy to be one of those who can appreciate it and really like it. Of course I came from an iPad 2 but I have an iPhone 5 and my sister an iPad 3.

LOL, I just read the cultofmac review. The screen is this thing's achilles heal, but lord almighty is that reviewer being hyperbolic when he talks about how bad the screen is. It's not retina quality, but it's also not as shitty as he says.

so im guessing you really like the device now, despite the screen?

damn now im even more salty i cant find one. i might just get the retina ipad so i dont feel like crap today lol :(

agreed. It's really being blown out of proportion. Especially once you get used to it it's fine. You're not gonna be using it side by side with the retina display at all times.

It could be a lot better though, and it will be. But it's fine.

I'm not sure why people are so confident that there will be a retina version next year.

If they went with the bare minimum res to achieve 'retina spec' on this size of screen, it would be something in between 1024 and 2048, resulting in nasty scaling for unoptimised apps, and a third resolution for iPad app developers to worry about.

If they made it full-on 2048 to match the full-size iPad, it would look better than the full-size iPad. Unless they increase the full-size iPad res again... which seems equally as unlikely for the same reasons - scaling, development troubles. They would need to do something special to the full-sized iPad to keep it appealing otherwise everyone will pick the Mini next year.

Even if the big iPad was faster, I don't think Apple would allow the Mini to have the better screen.

so im guessing you really like the device now, despite the screen?

damn now im even more salty i cant find one. i might just get the retina ipad so i dont feel like crap today lol :(

The device itself is great. Light, but not too light. Small, but not too small. Performance hasn't been an issue. Text is blurrier than Retina/HD obviously, but holy shit is it not the disaster that guy is trying to paint. I have a Kindle to read on, but this wouldn't be hard to read on either. The only thing I dont like is the smart cover. It's just not staying in place like I think it should. It was free, so not a big deal. If you like iOS gaming, this is probably the best option. I'm having a blast with games on it.

LCfiner

there is no way apple will have a third res for the mini's retina incarnation. it'll be the same res as the ipad 3 but with the ppi of the ipod touch/ iPhone.

heck, the current mini already has a better screen than the $399 ipad 2. they won't care if the screen ppi is sharper than the ipad. the screen is still smaller and, by that time, the ipad will likely be on an A7 chip and will have other little advancements to differentiate it (plus the much larger screen is a selling point for some people)

They'll make a retina version when they can get a display tech that allows for the battery size to remain close to what it is now, so weight and thickness don't skyrocket when the res is increased.

Izick

Just got mine, and I couldn't be happier.

I dare say this device is "cute".

image.php

dc89

It took amazing will power to resist a iPad Mini today.

Simply incredible devices, got more hands on time with one today. I REALLY want one. My 3rd Gen IPad is just....meh now. :(

njean777

Have mine sitting in front of me in the plastic, I really have no need for one at all. Just don't know if I should return it, or wait and see if I can get a pretty penny when christmas comes around and everybody will want one and apple will not be able to provide.

Izick

It took amazing will power to resist a iPad Mini today.

Simply incredible devices, got more hands on time with one today. I REALLY want one. My 3rd Gen IPad is just....meh now. :(

I don't get this. I'm planning on picking up a iPad 4 but isn't the iPad 3 better than the Mini in every single way except for like weight an thickness?

I don't get this. I'm planning on picking up a iPad 4 but isn't the iPad 3 better than the Mini in every single way except for like weight an thickness?
for some people when you see the that form factor and that hardware and the screen size it just clicks as "ideal". I'm one who never had a problem with the normal ipad 1/2/3/4 size but when you see the mini it's just like "this.....this feels right".

Not for everyone of course.

Have mine sitting in front of me in the plastic, I really have no need for one at all. Just don't know if I should return it, or wait and see if I can get a pretty penny when christmas comes around and everybody will want one and apple will not be able to provide.

gaf giveaway...make it happen :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
308g vs 652g

thats pretty huge weight difference to ipad 3/4.

I think many can compromise the screen quality gap of the 3/4 to the mini for it's size and weight.
Yeah. The mini is 2/3 of a pound compared to 1 1/3 on the full iPad. That weight difference will be huge when you've been using it for so long. It's like when I went from my MacBook Pro to my MacBook Air. There's just no contest. The Air is just light enough to be noticeable when you're using it every day. I am wondering about the 13" Retina Pro's difference in weight vs the 13" Air. It's only a half a pound more than the Air, which is about the weight of the iPad mini. Even a small amount of weight makes a difference when you're using something all the time.

Izick

Those are two pretty big negatives for a supposed portable device.
Maybe for some I guess. I'd rather get a tablet that was like a bit heavier and thicker but looked 10x better, screen-wise.
for some people when you see the that form factor and that hardware and the screen size it just clicks as "ideal". I'm one who never had a problem with the normal ipad 1/2/3/4 size but when you see the mini it's just like "this.....this feels right".

Not for everyone of course.

Hmm, I don't know. I had a Nexus 7 and it was too small for me. Also, I don't have a smartphone, but I feel like if I did, I would never really ever feel the need that I wish I had a middle ground between it and a regular iPad, especially with how much something like the iPhone 5 could do. Just too niche for my needs I guess. Whatever floats your boat though.

BFIB

Ugh. I am such a gadget freak. Even though I have a Nexus 7, and am very happy with it, I keep checking this thread for photos of the device, and impressions.

Have a GS3 that I adore, yet I still lurked the iPhone 5 thread.

I have a problem.

Spec wise of course it is but some people prefer the smaller and lighter form factor of the mini. Try them both and see which you prefer is my advice.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Ugh. I am such a gadget freak. Even though I have a Nexus 7, and am very happy with it, I keep checking this thread for photos of the device, and impressions.

Have a GS3 that I adore, yet I still lurked the iPhone 5 thread.

I have a problem.
Never too late to join the tablet revolution.

Maybe for some I guess. I'd rather get a tablet that was like a bit heavier and thicker but looked 10x better, screen-wise.
Hmm, I don't know. I had a Nexus 7 and it was too small for me. Also, I don't have a smartphone, but I feel like if I did, I would never really ever feel the need that I wish I had a middle ground between it and a regular iPad, especially with how much something like the iPhone 5 could do. Just too niche for my needs I guess. Whatever floats your boat though.
I also owned a nexus 7 and agree that it was a bit on the small side physically. But the screen real-estate on the mini is muchhhh higher. It's also a bigger device in general, physically.

I don't use a laptop much at all yet so yeah for me it has a use. Definitely shouldn't be used as a middle ipad, it should be used as your only ipad if you get one.

What I've been telling myself to keep me under control is that the next iPad will have the same design and build quality of the iPad Mini and that I'll feel like a fool later if I buy it or a fourth gen iPad now.

It's kinda working so far, but who knows for how long.

KtSlime

Only about 62% better really, but yeah, I prefer retina as well.

The iPad gen 3 is only an iPad 2 with a better GPU and retina display. The mini will have the same, if not better results since it's got a quarter of the pixels to push.

Izick

Well the iPad will be my first Apple tablet, and my first 10" tablet, so I'm definitely excited. Maybe after a while I'd see how benefecial a smaller model may be, but I really plan on using the iPad 4 to basically replace my laptop, which I mainly browse the web and watch videos on anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In a few minutes I'm going to go and see if the store has the mini in stock. At the very least I hope they have them on display. But at this moment I am now leaning towards the black. I just love me that back part. It looks so nice.

Well the iPad will be my first Apple tablet, and my first 10" tablet, so I'm definitely excited. Maybe after a while I'd see how benefecial a smaller model may be, but I really plan on using the iPad 4 to basically replace my laptop, which I mainly browse the web and watch videos on anyway.
then yeah get a 4, should be funtastic. It's all a win in terms of goodness.

Top Bottom