• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Pachimari

iPad Mini works with the new 12W charger.

Now charges at 10% every 15 minutes, so you will save over an hour.
Wow great, thanks for the impression.

I'll now consider it, even though I haven't had trouble waiting on it charging for like 4 hours but of course it might get tiresome to me at length, I don't know yet. :)

I have a broken ipad 2.... I think its 250 to fix at the store.

should I just get a mini or pay to fix the 2? I also just bought a Surface last week
Go try a Mini and decide. If it were me, I would have just gotten a Mini. It's way more usable and personal than iPad 2.

No problems with th pe new Smart Cover, works great so far.

Also, iPad mini is the perfect size for babies!

mNtVf.png

derder

should I just get a mini or pay to fix the 2? I also just bought a Surface last week

I would do neither. Sell the ipad 2, keep the surface and wait to see if you find yourself needing a second tablet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's mkv (and other format) players, although I don't know if they can handle 720p+ yet since they're using the CPU to decode (last I checked)...the A6 in the big iPad might be able to though since it's much faster though.
I'm out of the loop cause I mainly only use remote transcoding/serving (Airvideo and Plex) but I don't think that's true at all and for a long time now. Oplayer is one example of an app that plays MKV, and if you search for MKV on the App Store you'll find other results as well.
I was not aware of this. I thought they violated the terms of the store or something stupid like how you can't have your own WebKit engine or JavaScript engine or something. I'd be interested in trying them out. Sadly all my MKV content is pretty much 720p.

Fox Mulder

Went to bestbuy to try out the mini and bought one. So light and sexy.

basically paid $80 for it too after selling my ipad 2 on ebay.

Vyer

Go try out a mini. The difference in money over repairing might be worth it for a new device/form factor.

I hate reading on it, but gaming is great. Played a ton of stuff on it so far and nothing has given it a problem yet. Finally had my first Browser refresh with a bunch of apps running and music streaming. It's not perfect, but its future is clear. I stand by my assertion that this form factor is the future of the iPad line moreso than the bigger iPads.

It's kind of obvious, but many apps need to add a font size feature and deal with the fun/logic of fitting that font size in small spaces that may or may not expand.

For example, was using the ESPN app and went to a Gamecast, and the 'result of play' live feed's font is too small for the resolution. Retina could handle it, but it looks a bit garbled on the Mini.

bob page

It's kind of obvious, but many apps need to add a font size feature and deal with the fun/logic of fitting that font size in small spaces that may or may not expand.

For example, was using the ESPN app and went to a Gamecast, and the result of play live feed's font is too small for the resolution. Retina could handle it, but it looks a bit garbled on the Mini.

I'm sure most apps will update this fairly easily. I think Flipboard already pushed out an update to address this.

Fox Mulder

interesting.

I'll have to pick one up, since the ipad 2 charged quickly with the big charger. This little dinky charger is the same as the iphone right?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
interesting.

I'll have to pick one up, since the ipad 2 charged quickly with the big charger. This little dinky charger is the same as the iphone right?

Yeah, it's the same as the iPhone. 5W.

The new charger is also better than the old iPad ones, which were 10W.

LCfiner

I got to play with one at an Apple store this morning. I'll join with the other predictions.

this will be the best selling iPad within a year.

The size and feel of it in your hands is fantastic. I am so glad that Apple is moving away from those thin, butter knife edges and to these smooth, full rad corners. It's so much nicer to hold.

The weight and single handed use of the ipad, combined with compatibility of the full iPad app catalog is going to make it very popular, regardless of the price. And, unlike other 7" tablets I've used in store demos, the ipad mini didn't feel cramped when displaying full web pages. I never liked the 7" models since they were so skinny in portrait mode that I thought they were only good for reading single column text and sacrificed too much screen real estate to deliver their light weight. The mini gets much closer to an ideal balance. I'd probably still prefer to use stuff like iPhoto and Numbers on the 10" model but I'd rather read gaf and twitter on the 8".

And, surprisingly, I didn't hate the screen. I loaded up NYTimes.com and a few other text heavy sites and, yes, it was worse than the ipad 3 but it was better than the first two ipads and text was clearly legible to me without having blocky pixels become too obvious. I was using it at the approximate distances I would use it at home. 12 to 24 inches away. I could live with this display. Luckily, though, this display is a temporary thing as ipad minis will surely get the retina screen in an iteration (or two). And then, man, it might be... perfect?

I just got the mini last night and its fantastic, holding this thing with one hand comfortable is worth the price alone.

How much should I sell my ipad 2 for? It has a scratches on the back and a scratch on the front. Is 250 with a smart cover too much?

Fox Mulder

I just got the mini last night and its fantastic, holding this thing with one hand comfortable is worth the price alone.

How much should I sell my ipad 2 for? It has a scratches on the back and a scratch on the front. Is 250 with a smart cover too much?

I sold my nearly year old Apple refurbished ipad 2 for $385 shipped on ebay. It was mint and was still under Apple's year warranty on refurbs though. I didn't even have covers or any extra stuff. I just listed it at .99 on ebay and let it run. It had like 20 bids above $250.

I sold my nearly year old Apple refurbished ipad 2 for $385 shipped on ebay. It was mint and was still under Apple's year warranty on refurbs though. I didn't even have covers or any extra stuff. I just listed it at .99 on ebay and let it run.

Wow, that is crazy considering a refurb 3 is less than that lol

I sold my nearly year old Apple refurbished ipad 2 for $385 shipped on ebay. It was mint and was still under Apple's year warranty on refurbs though. I didn't even have covers or any extra stuff. I just listed it at .99 on ebay and let it run. It had like 20 bids above $250.

wow that is crazy lol. I figured I wouldnt get more than 250 for it. So basically after fees and shipping you probably cleared 320 bucks?

Ryck

So do you guys turn off your iPad at night? With my iPhone I don't but I'm not sure if I need to leave my iPad on all night.

LCfiner

you mean holding the power button and turning it off? no. totally not needed.

if you mean putting it to sleep, well, yeah.

japtor

I think the 4/3 has better colors than the mini. The mini seems washed out for some reason to me or at least definitely not as vivid.
Interesting, I remember a review saying it got the improved colors like the newer screens, although I guess that could mean it's just better than iPad 2.
I was not aware of this. I thought they violated the terms of the store or something stupid like how you can't have your own WebKit engine or JavaScript engine or something. I'd be interested in trying them out. Sadly all my MKV content is pretty much 720p.
I think most of them have free "lite" versions to test out.

I traded in a 32GB iPad 1 to Amazon for $230...I'd try to sell an iPad 2 for at least $300-350 (if not more like the guy earlier).

I'd suggest Amazon for you too but I think that front scratch might disqualify it, plus you get credit so you kind of have to deal with the issue of Amazon not selling iPads except through third party merchants.

Mairu

Coming from an iPhone, I'm kind of irritated by all the wasted space on the iPad home screen. I get that part of it is so you can go landscape or portrait, but there's just so much room between all the apps! I don't use many folders on my Phone, but I think I'm gonna have to figure out some game categories on the iPad so I don't have so many home screens.

bob page

Interesting, I remember a review saying it got the improved colors like the newer screens, although I guess that could mean it's just better than iPad 2.

I think most of them have free "lite" versions to test out.

I traded in a 32GB iPad 1 to Amazon for $230...I'd try to sell an iPad 2 for at least $300-350 (if not more like the guy earlier).

I'd suggest Amazon for you too but I think that front scratch might disqualify it, plus you get credit so you kind of have to deal with the issue of Amazon not selling iPads except through third party merchants.
Looks like trade-in for a like-new 16gb iPad 2 is $300- might do that to avoid eBay and PayPal fees.

Alchemy

Coming from an iPhone, I'm kind of irritated by all the wasted space on the iPad home screen. I get that part of it is so you can go landscape or portrait, but there's just so much room between all the apps! I don't use many folders on my Phone, but I think I'm gonna have to figure out some game categories on the iPad so I don't have so many home screens.

I folder the shit out of my iPad apps, I think I would go insane without folders.

I folder the shit out of my iPad apps, I think I would go insane without folders.

Yeah there's no way I'd be able to stand using an iPad without folders. My dad doesn't use them and just has pages and pages of apps and a few folders and it drives me nuts. How does he find anything ugghhhh

.GqueB.

Banned
I got to play with one at an Apple store this morning. I'll join with the other predictions.

this will be the best selling iPad within a year.

The size and feel of it in your hands is fantastic. I am so glad that Apple is moving away from those thin, butter knife edges and to these smooth, full rad corners. It's so much nicer to hold.

The weight and single handed use of the ipad, combined with compatibility of the full iPad app catalog is going to make it very popular, regardless of the price. And, unlike other 7" tablets I've used in store demos, the ipad mini didn't feel cramped when displaying full web pages. I never liked the 7" models since they were so skinny in portrait mode that I thought they were only good for reading single column text and sacrificed too much screen real estate to deliver their light weight. The mini gets much closer to an ideal balance. I'd probably still prefer to use stuff like iPhoto and Numbers on the 10" model but I'd rather read gaf and twitter on the 8".

And, surprisingly, I didn't hate the screen. I loaded up NYTimes.com and a few other text heavy sites and, yes, it was worse than the ipad 3 but it was better than the first two ipads and text was clearly legible to me without having blocky pixels become too obvious. I was using it at the approximate distances I would use it at home. 12 to 24 inches away. I could live with this display. Luckily, though, this display is a temporary thing as ipad minis will surely get the retina screen in an iteration (or two). And then, man, it might be... perfect?

This reads like an ad and it creeped me the hell out. Are you a robot?

Pachimari

A full charge takes 2.5 hours with the 12W charger?

Is this okay to the battery's health? Because now I'm contemplating getting such a charger.

Blackhead

Redarse
And, unlike other 7" tablets I've used in store demos, the ipad mini didn't feel cramped when displaying full web pages. I never liked the 7" models since they were so skinny in portrait mode that I thought they were only good for reading single column text and sacrificed too much screen real estate to deliver their light weight. The mini gets much closer to an ideal balance.
wat, lol

LCfiner

This reads like an ad and it creeped me the hell out. Are you a robot?

Yes. And what can I say, my robot hands liked the feel of the iPad mini a lot.

Charred, my comments about the aspect ratio and screen size can't be that crazy? A 16:9 screen in portrait is fine for reading things like a twitter feed, rss, or other text but if you want to view a larger web page in full, it feels cramped.

Top Bottom