• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

while i wait for the mini to be restocked, i went ahead and bought the new 4.

first and foremost, the screen looks pretty good. i guess since im used to retina on my ipod, so it didnt really blow me away at first like i thought it would. i also thought it would be a bigger device and surprised at how heavy it feels. (yeah, i never seen an ipad in person before strangely enough. or maybe i just dont remember seeing it)

i havent spent much time with it yet but one thats annoying me off the bat is how the toolbars stay on when you fullscreen videos on it. its like that in both chrome and safari. is there any way to get rid of that? whats the best way to experience youtube on the ipad? also, any way to watch flash videos online? my mom watches indian shows but their websites stream everything in flash.

otherwise im really loving it. its my first ipad and the apps (apps!) look absolutely stunning. i cant wait to dive into this.

any recommendations for apps? i know theres the games recommendation thread, but any apps for the ipad thats visually stunning? i also wanna get some education stuff for my lil bro so he doesnt spend all his day netflixing and gaming on this :p

16:9 is annoying when reading web pages.

16:9 is annoying for everything but videos.
while i wait for the mini to be restocked, i went ahead and bought the new 4.

first and foremost, the screen looks pretty good. i guess since im used to retina on my ipod, so it didnt really blow me away at first like i thought it would. i also thought it would be a bigger device and surprised at how heavy it feels. (yeah, i never seen an ipad in person before strangely enough. or maybe i just dont remember seeing it)

i havent spent much time with it yet but one thats annoying me off the bat is how the toolbars stay on when you fullscreen videos on it. its like that in both chrome and safari. is there any way to get rid of that? whats the best way to experience youtube on the ipad? also, any way to watch flash videos online? my mom watches indian shows but their websites stream everything in flash.

otherwise im really loving it. its my first ipad and the apps (apps!) look absolutely stunning. i cant wait to dive into this.

any recommendations for apps? i know theres the games recommendation thread, but any apps for the ipad thats visually stunning? i also wanna get some education stuff for my lil bro so he doesnt spend all his day netflixing and gaming on this :p

Flipboard.

played with one at apple when picking up my iphone 5 (I caved :S).

The accident bezel detection was a bit wonky and the resolution is quite apparent due to me having to squint to read some text (which makes me notice the pixels, while it's less apparent in moms ipad 2).

But the form factor, is amazing.

I don't need one, but next year... gonna be hard to resist.

lupinko

Well the mini is sold out everywhere here, well local anyway. I tried it out at the Apple store and form factor wise, it is the perfect or close to ideal form I've ever used for a tablet.

But, the lack of retina / A5X (doesn't even have to be A6X) really hurts it in my eyes. Literally on the eyes thing, I've been using an iPhone 4 since launch (and now migrated to iPhone 5), and I cannot go back to a non-retina device.

So, iPad fatty 4th gen for me.

CrankyJay

Banned
The hyperbole is a little much in this thread though, I mean we got people saying this is the "real/true/right iPad", laughable

It's a nice product but it come on, calling it perfect?

Sounds like this is coming from people who have the bigger iPad and appreciate the smaller form factor for their preferred use, so I kind of trust them.

.GqueB.

Banned
He's hardly the only person here saying how much they like it.

bROxl.gif

Az

The hyperbole is a little much in this thread though, I mean we got people saying this is the "real/true/right iPad", laughable

It's the usual talk the first few days. After about 4-5 days once the hype goes down you'll see people talk about what they don't like.

Saw the iPad Mini today at Best Buy. Love the form factor but can't stand the display and slow speed. I'll pass until it has retina. Sorry, Apple, but I'm spoiled with the iPhone 5 and iPad 3.

Pachimari

As much as some positive comments might be "hyperbole", just as much do I think comments such as "screen is terrible as it don't have Retina" to be out of proportion. Though I clearly understand it to be a downgrade for those who have used a Retina iPad every single day.

Even though I'm not one of those who have called it "perfect", I guess what they mean is, that its perfect for their uses or the best iPad yet to their needs. In fact, I believe this is the best iPad yet, even after iPad 3.

To me, iPad Mini is the best device since iPhone 4.

CrankyJay

Banned
As much as some positive comments might be "hyperbole", just as much do I think comments such as "screen is terrible as it don't have Retina" to be out of proportion. Though I clearly understand it to be a downgrade for those who have used a Retina iPad every single day.

Even though I'm not one of those who have called it "perfect", I guess what they mean is, that its perfect for their uses or the best iPad yet to their needs. In fact, I believe this is the best iPad yet, even after iPad 3.

To me, iPad Mini is the best device since iPhone 4.

I don't think it's horrible but since I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 I would like to have an all retina family.

Oxn

I wish Apple would embrace landscape mode, and place the Home button on the horizontal end of the device.

Appleman

I think people expecting retina in next year's mini might be gearing up for disappointment. I'm kind of expecting an internals boost but not a whole lot else until they can fit the whole thing in the exact same chassis. I don't expect any iPad 2 -> iPad 3 form factor compromises

Appleman

I wish Apple would embrace landscape mode, and place the Home button on the horizontal end of the device.

Not only do I use portrait mode way more, but since the gestures were added I rarely use it ever, and there's no room on the sides of the mini. PLUS the button's closer to your thumb as it is now when you use landscape

Zeth

I think people expecting retina in next year's mini might be gearing up for disappointment. I'm kind of expecting an internals boost but not a whole lot else until they can fit the whole thing in the exact same chassis. I don't expect any iPad 2 -> iPad 3 form factor compromises

Yep, people are being set up for a big letdown. Unless they invent some kind of magic, it's still going to be extremely difficult to fit a 2048x1536 display and the battery to power it into this device, next year (never mind the A5X/A6X to push the pixels.) I'd put my money on 3rd gen, but I'd love to see it sooner too.
I just think people are a little off-base thinking Apple is simply withholding retina for profit. Imagine the outrage if it'd launched at the same price as the full-size iPad.

Fox Mulder

Of course it's not perfect, it could be a retina screen.

I loved the ipad form, and was skeptical of the mini, but it just works so well. Apple was wrong about the size being wrong for tablets.

Buying this also reminded me why I hate bestbuy. I was there to look at the mini, and they acted like I was an inconvenience. They tried to upsell an older couple into a sale instead of taking mine, and I waited nearly 30 minutes for a person to give a shit and ring me up.

Yep, people are being set up for a big letdown.
Yeah people are expecting it to be retina in six months with the same form factor for the same price and just think that Apple has it ready to go and is just withholding it to get suckers to buy it twice like its not some engineering challenge.

Imagine the outrage if it gets updated and its not retina. Oh lord I can taste the tears already.

Ryck

I love my mini but its far from perfect, like others have said a retina screen would pretty much make it perfect. I personally haven't had any issues with it's speed but I've noticed a few people mentioning that. I do agree that this size is perfect, I never owned a regular iPad but in using my friend's iPads I have always felt they were too big and heavy for me to personally consider.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
A full charge takes 2.5 hours with the 12W charger?

Is this okay to the battery's health? Because now I'm contemplating getting such a charger.

Yep, iPads just draw as much as they can to charge and the 12W charger is recommended on the Apple site for the Mini.

I wanted to test the times and let people know as they don't go into that. The bundled charger is just the iPhone one for cost.

Oxn

Yeah people are expecting it to be retina in six months with the same form factor for the same price and just think that Apple has it ready to go and is just withholding it to get suckers to buy it twice like its not some engineering challenge.

Imagine the outrage if it gets updated and its not retina. Oh lord I can taste the tears already.

Im betting you wish that will be true.

Kaladin

So I went to Best Buy today. I looked at the Mini and the new iPad with retina display. I like the size and weight of the mini, but the resolution is very noticable even with a small glance. I walked out with a 16GB iPad 4. I'm loving it so far. It's my first tablet and I think it will replace my laptop nicely.

I had preordered a white one with delivery due on the 15th. But I just had a change of mind and grabbed a black one instead. Now I have to wait till the 27th :/

sruckus

I hate that I came into this thread. I was truly planning on waiting to buy for a generation or two since I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 2 from work. But it is definitely heavy to hold for long periods of time, I'm stuck killing the screen quality with a horrible screen protector, and it doesn't feel like really mine for storing personal stuff. I'm going to be buying a Mini I guess!

So I went to Best Buy today. I looked at the Mini and the new iPad with retina display. I like the size and weight of the mini, but the resolution is very noticable even with a small glance. I walked out with a 16GB iPad 4. I'm loving it so far. It's my first tablet and I think it will replace my laptop nicely.

You made a good choice.

I hate that I came into this thread. I was truly planning on waiting to buy for a generation or two since I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 2 from work. But it is definitely heavy to hold for long periods of time, I'm stuck killing the screen quality with a horrible screen protector, and it doesn't feel like really mine for storing personal stuff. I'm going to be buying a Mini I guess!

iPads and iPhones never, ever need a screen protector. I'm absolutely anal about that stuff and yet have never had a scratch on the glass of any iOS device. It's Gorilla Glass, friend.

sruckus

iPads and iPhones never, ever need a screen protector. I'm absolutely anal about that stuff and yet have never had a scratch on the glass of any iOS device. It's Gorilla Glass, friend.

It's not me dude. I have a distaste for screen protectors and cases of all sorts. Especially these ones that KILL the screen quality and turn it matte.

Fox Mulder

Yep.

It's understandable that people want to baby their devices, but the screens are tough. I also preach the nude lifestyle.

Yeah the 9.7in iPad is certainly a laptop replacement for many people. Heck, it was my laptop for a while until I got a MacBook. The iPad mini is a great companion device, though.

Can we please stop with this myth? Gorilla Glass and similar glass is not scratch resistant.

My OG iPad has tiny scratches and my Galaxy Nexus has scratches, so does the 4S of a friend. They might not be as bad as they would be with normal glass, but they can happen and it doesn't even have to be under extreme circumstances.

midonnay

sand is its kryptonite

just have a normal cover and a microfibre to wipe dust off and you should be fine

my ipad2 is fine without it as well as the nexus 7 which has an apparently inferior glass

Can we please stop with this myth? Gorilla Glass and similar glass is not scratch resistant.

My OG iPad has tiny scratches and my Galaxy Nexus has scratches, so does the 4S of a friend. They might not be as bad as they would be with normal glass, but they can happen and it doesn't even have to be under extreme circumstances.

I'd say if your OG iPad has "tiny scratches" after 2.5 years then it's mission accomplished.

lupinko

I may preach the house of jobs like many of you, but to go without a screenprotector and say that the gorilla glass is invincible is just ridiculous.

Screenprotectors 4 life.

Rocking dat Ghost Armor on my unlocked iPhone 5.

I'd say if your OG iPad has "tiny scratches" after 2.5 years then it's mission accomplished.

And yet they could've been prevented with a screen protector that no one needs on iOS devices, because they're magically more resistant to scratches than other devices.

midonnay had the right idea, when he said that a standard cover and a microfibre is the way to go on tablets.

16:9 is annoying for everything but videos.

I really wish laptops came with a taller screen. I don't really care to watch videos on a laptop or netbook, but having browsers or, worse yet, a text document squished down into a 3-inch tall strip is really annoying.

I have a tiny chip out of my iPhone 5's front glass, at the top edge. Stuff like that doesn't really bother me, but it's not indestructible.

Totakeke

I had Gorilla Glass devices before where everywhere except the screen was scratched badly and the screen is still perfect.

Yeah, screen protectors are terrible, not worth the compromise.

Top Bottom