• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

I had Gorilla Glass devices before where everywhere except the screen was scratched badly and the screen is still perfect.

Yeah, screen protectors are terrible, not worth the compromise.

A while ago I put my keys in the same pocket where I put my Galaxy Nexus. After few minutes I realized the mistake I made, but it was too late.

Gorilla Glass. Only really scratch resistant if you won't let it get in contact with anything but your finger.

I really wish laptops came with a taller screen. I don't really care to watch videos on a laptop or netbook, but having browsers or, worse yet, a text document squished down into a 3-inch tall strip is really annoying.

Amen.

madmook

Loving this little guy. Picking up my 3rd gen iPad now feels like weightlifting. Can't believe they were able to squeeze even more battery life with lower capacity than iPad 1/2.

I think people expecting retina in next year's mini might be gearing up for disappointment. I'm kind of expecting an internals boost but not a whole lot else until they can fit the whole thing in the exact same chassis. I don't expect any iPad 2 -> iPad 3 form factor compromises

Yeah, my guess is the limitation is the battery size needed to power retina. Unless battery tech makes another revolution for Apple during R&D, don't count on retina....unless you want something like 5 or 6 hours battery life.

Totakeke

Yeah, my guess is the limitation is the battery size needed to power retina. Unless battery tech makes another revolution for Apple during R&D, don't count on retina....unless you want something like 5 or 6 hours battery life.

So what is the supposed battery target for iPad mini to have Retina Display with a reasonable battery life? Gimme some numbers.

LCfiner

Well, the iPad 2 to iPad 3 battery increased from 25 watt hours to 42.5. that's a 70% increase. Some of that was for the large A5X chip and part was for the extra power needed for the display (I understand that massive backlighting power was needed)

iPad mini uses a 16 W-h battery. My guess is that a retina iPad mini will need something like an IGZO display tech which uses less power. so we won't need a 70% increase in battery size to power it which would mean a 27 W-h battery - same size as current main ipad. that would sacrifice the huge weight advantage.

Maybe they'll find that with a less power hungry screen and with even smaller chip production processes, they can get away with the same size battery or something only 20 to 30% larger in size.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wont speak for anyone else, but when I said this is how the iPad should have always been, I meant the size/feel. Obviously it won't be perfect until it has Retina and a faster chip.
The perfect iPad mini will be one that's on par with the current 10" model at the same time the 10" is also released. Or at least the previous 10" generation technology. Like if the iPad mini had come out as basically an iPad 3 instead of an iPad 2.

Hopefully in time as the technology catches up, and they don't decide that the mini can afford to be the "low end" iPad. I don't think they should treat it as a second class iPad and hopefully in time it will be closer in specs as they release them simultaneously.

Either way I look forward to the iPad mini 2 and iPad 5.

People are saying that because that's exactly how it feels
exactly. It feels like the idea of the ipad fully realized. Portable, high quality, lots of screen space, light, thin, etc....

But of course someone who prefers the bigger would say otherwise. But the vast majority of impressions I've read are along the pro mini lines.

mrkgoo

The perfect iPad mini will be one that's on par with the current 10" model at the same time the 10" is also released. Or at least the previous 10" generation technology. Like if the iPad mini had come out as basically an iPad 3 instead of an iPad 2.

Hopefully in time as the technology catches up, and they don't decide that the mini can afford to be the "low end" iPad. I don't think they should treat it as a second class iPad and hopefully in time it will be closer in specs as they release them simultaneously.

Either way I look forward to the iPad mini 2 and iPad 5.

It's only a 'second class' iPad if you know what GHz and A5 are.

I was in the store today, and people were oggling the iPad mini, and people thought it was the same price as the iPad - but when they saw the actual price, they were marvelling at how it was such a cheap iPad. They nearly bought it on the spot because they thought it might have been a pricing error.

The average consumer (which, let's admit it, is the target audience for the iPad) doesn't care so much about stats, just what it can do. Sure, they may be a little uninformed, but that's how it is (they thought cellular meant it could make phone calls).

LEt's face it, rhe iPad mini is totally a capable iPad right NOW. However, I do question it's longevity seeing how rapidly they iterate iOS. That said, it's possible the rapid revisions are slowing, at least in incremental features.

I was in the store today, and people were oggling the iPad mini, and people thought it was the same price as the iPad - but when they saw the actual price, they were marvelling at how it was such a cheap iPad. They nearly bought it on the spot because they thought it might have been a pricing error.

The average consumer (which, let's admit it, is the target audience for the iPad) doesn't care so much about stats, just what it can do. Sure, they may be a little uninformed, but that's how it is (they thought cellular meant it could make phone calls).

LEt's face it, rhe iPad mini is totally a capable iPad right NOW. However, I do question it's longevity seeing how rapidly they iterate iOS. That said, it's possible the rapid revisions are slowing, at least in incremental features.
That is my main reservation with the mini. How well will it do with upgrades by using the older chipset.

SO! I finally got to play with one today and........... I gotta agree with the reviews. This is, hands down, one of the most impressive devices Apple has put out in recent memory. The device itself is pretty small, but the screen is larger than I imagined. It is nothing like I expected (i.e. I assumed it'd feel just like a Nexus 7 which is the only 7 inch tablet I've tried).

Oh, and the build quality.... jeebus! And it is SO light!

The screen is noticeably low res, but honestly it was only a problem with text. I played Temple Run and some other 3D game I can't remember the name of and the 3D graphics looked pretty damn sharp.

All in all, the iPad Mini is a pretty amazing little device. Can't wait for the retina display version a year or two from now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Oh, I agree. But in the end it's still an iPad 2 in a smaller casing. Not that it matters to me, but you know Apple will want to get it to as close to the 10" model as they can as soon as they are able to while still keeping the price where it is.

Oh, I agree. But in the end it's still an iPad 2 in a smaller casing. Not that it matters to me, but you know Apple will want to get it to as close to the 10" model as they can as soon as they are able to while still keeping the price where it is.

You sure? It looks to me like it will be on the iPod touch update scale. IE I doubt we will see a new mini next year. Like the touch I think they will keep it around two years, and when the iPhone, iPd ect all get new form factors the mini will as well, retina and an A6. Gives them enough time to figure out how to stuff Retina inside without making it bigger/compromising battery life.

Also it's NOT an iPad 2.

Same as the iPad 2
-A5
-512MB RAM
-1024 x 768

Different
-Significant display improvement 44% more color space true RGB & better contrast
-Gorilla Glass 2 much thinner also with digitizer in the LCD so much closer to the display
-LTE
-Better Wifi chip
-Siri
-3D & Turn by Turn maps
-50% of the weight
-Thinner

The display looks way better than an iPad 2. Sure its the same resolution and only about 18% smaller pixels but look how much sharper the better color and contrast the display has.

gZTTV.jpg

Thats the same tech as in the iPad 2 vs the iPad mini. Yes, it is noticeable. Images definitely look better on iPad mini. Outside of resolution, the iPad mini has the best LCD tech around, just like the current gen iPhone, iPod touch and new Retina iPad.

Addnan

My UPS tracking was working up until a few hours ago could see it making its way through the UK, now it says. "Not all tracking information is available at this time. Please try again later"

Is this normal, only had something arrive by UPS once before.

Played around with one today at an Apple store. Nice little device. Love the back/build quality as well. Wish they had applied that to the new full sized iPads. Thing seemed popular too. Tons of people were playing around with them. I would probably (and will probably, sometime early next year) pony up the extra Benjamins for a full sized Retina iPad instead, but I can see this thing being very, very popular.

source on those two?

It's already been said in the reviews/look at it in person. it's using the new same display tech as on the other devices. Use your eyes?

In almost every review they mention how the display looks nice, and closer to the surface of the glass like the new devices but unfortunately lower res.

Not sure where to look exactly for that since apple.com does not show anything about the display tech.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Went and saw the mini today. After using a retina pad for ages now I found the resolution so bad to look at. Fuzzy text everywhere. I couldn't go back to non-retina now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
We're going to need Anand's screen analysis to truly know about the color accuracy on the mini.
And it's already been proven that the digitizer is not part of the LCD.

We're going to need Anand's screen analysis to truly know about the color accuracy on the mini.
And it's already been proven that the digitizer is not part of the LCD.

Where was that? I remember seeing a tear down and they said the digitizer wasn't in the glass, and the LCD still worked when they were removing it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Where was that? I remember seeing a tear down and they said the digitizer wasn't in the glass, and the LCD still worked when they were removing it.
Exactly. It's not like the iPhone 5 where the digitizer is part of the LCD.
In the tear down they removed the glass and input still worked on the separated glass portion.

Been playing a bunch of games on my Mini today, plus browsing some tumblr and GAF. This thing is fucking perfect. I don't know that I'll ever buy a normal-sized iPad again.

A while ago I put my keys in the same pocket where I put my Galaxy Nexus. After few minutes I realized the mistake I made, but it was too late.

Gorilla Glass. Only really scratch resistant if you won't let it get in contact with anything but your finger.
I have taken my keys to the screens of my iPhone 4 and 5 on purpose to prove a point to coworkers and neither of them scratched.

Gattsu25

Banned
I didn't pre-order this. I'm going to try to buy one tomorrow.

16GB should be enough as I will only be using it for Google Music/Web/Games

japtor

What's the best IRC client for iPad?
Colloquy. The last update introduced some funky bugs on iPad but it's still generally good, hopefully they get those fixed soon.
Well, the iPad 2 to iPad 3 battery increased from 25 watt hours to 42.5. that's a 70% increase. Some of that was for the large A5X chip and part was for the extra power needed for the display (I understand that massive backlighting power was needed)

iPad mini uses a 16 W-h battery. My guess is that a retina iPad mini will need something like an IGZO display tech which uses less power. so we won't need a 70% increase in battery size to power it which would mean a 27 W-h battery - same size as current main ipad. that would sacrifice the huge weight advantage.

Maybe they'll find that with a less power hungry screen and with even smaller chip production processes, they can get away with the same size battery or something only 20 to 30% larger in size.
Yeah the main thing isn't so much increased battery life as much as a more efficient display (and to a lesser extent the other components). That said with newer display tech they could also pull off a thinner and lighter display (on top of lower power consumption) to cram in more battery if necessary.

serious question! why on earth is the ipad (3rd gen) takes forever to bloody charge? it takes like 3 hours for it to go from 10% to 60%. Hope the mini fix this problem.

my laptop has an even bigger battery and it charges faster than this POS! and wtf it takes like 10 mins to install an app on this thing? firmware or what? should i update to 6.01?

With all the trolling you do in Apple threads I'm shocked that you actually have an IPad. On that note it certainly shouldn't take 10 minutes to install an app, unless you mean downloading and installing a particularly large app.

japtor

my laptop has an even bigger battery and it charges faster than this POS! and wtf it takes like 10 mins to install an app on this thing? firmware or what? should i update to 6.01?
Do you charge your laptop with USB?

Just reminded me of something from a while back, the iPad's 42 watt hour battery is more than the 11" MacBook Air's 35Wh (...but of course that has a 45W charger vs the 10-12W one the iPad has).

And yeah apps shouldn't take that long to install unless they're pretty big. If everything is taking that long try restarting it, hold down the power button until a power off slider shows up, then hold it again to boot back up.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Why is my Wifi not enabling when in sleep? I can press the home button and the Wifi icon will not even show until I have unlocked it.

Woke up this morning, no e-mails or anything, sure enough, I unlock it and then suddenly it starts collecting e-mail.

Is it fucked?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Why is my Wifi not enabling when in sleep? I can press the home button and the Wifi icon will not even show until I have unlocked it.

Woke up this morning, no e-mails or anything, sure enough, I unlock it and then suddenly it starts collecting e-mail.

Is it fucked?

Mine always seems to be on LTE or 3G when locked for a while. Then it pops back on 3G.

Doesn't mean mines using 3G as well?

ultrazilla

Is it fucked?

Sounds like a simple problem with your "push" settings in email. I seriously doubt there's anything actually wrong with your device.

With all the trolling you do in Apple threads I'm shocked that you actually have an IPad. On that note it certainly shouldn't take 10 minutes to install an app, unless you mean downloading and installing a particularly large app.

yeah i got an ipad 3 doesnt mean i have to worship apple like most of you guys do, a POS is a POS, it doesnt matter who made it. So i charged the fucker for 5 hours now and is 85%. wtf?

Oppo

got to play with a mini yesterday - they sure are cute.

but I think I have to stick with the bigger one. I get why people like this 8" version – I like it more than I thought I would – but it's just too small for me, those extra inches make a big difference. the big iPad is almost exactly the same size as a letter-sized piece of paper, I love that for my primary purposes (browsing, comics, photos).

and now I wait until they actually start shipping LTE iPad 4s. razzumfrazzum

yeah i got an ipad 3 doesnt mean i have to worship apple like most of you guys do, a POS is a POS, it doesnt matter who made it. So i charged the fucker for 5 hours now and is 85%. wtf?

ipad 3 and 4 do take about 5/6 hours to get a full 100% from empty, it's not the best but it's what it does so just get used to it or buy a mini *shrug*

Make sure you are charging through the supplied 12v plug adapter, anything else might be lower voltage like an iphone plug or some mac USB ports, my mini doesn't feel like it can charge my ipad 3 very fast.

Wat.

I don't know what you're doing to make "slow" or if you're just regurgitating things you may have heard from a lone review.

Did I diss your mother or something? I've owned every iPad since the OG and it's noticeably slower than the 3. The hardware differences alone make this an incontrovertible fact.

Gattsu25

Banned
Real talk, folks.

If I cannot find an iPad Mini 16GB Wifi is the iPad 2 16GB Wifi a good compromise?

What features of substance am I losing out on?

Most of the features on Apple's website seem to indicate that it's not much of a downgrade outside of losing siri and worse cameras (I don't give a care about either feature sets). Are the CPUs the exact same on the new model? They don't give any pertinent details about that other than the name of the processor?

How about graphics comparisons vs the mini? No mention of that on their site

jts

...hate me...
Did I diss your mother or something? I've owned every iPad since the OG and it's noticeably slower than the 3. The hardware differences alone make this an incontrovertible fact.
Um... no they don't? The CPU is the same. Actually sometimes the iPad 2 or mini are faster than the 3 because they don't have a retina display, with all that implies (although on the 3 there's a quad GPU to help it).

Top Bottom