• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Rookje

I'm looking for a sleeve for it. Something to protect it while I travel with it in my bag, but I don't want a case since I like going case-less.

Thanks! Downloaded a nice number of new apps from the list there.

A good use for this thing for me might be as a way to get into podcasts. Is Apple's podcast app really so bad as the panning in user reviews claim? I can't imagine it being so awful as to warrant hundreds of 1-stars.
It's free.

Thanks! Downloaded a nice number of new apps from the list there.

A good use for this thing for me might be as a way to get into podcasts. Is Apple's podcast app really so bad as the panning in user reviews claim? I can't imagine it being so awful as to warrant hundreds of 1-stars.

It (was) really, really bad. Bugs, crashes, sync problems, you name it. They may have improved it a bit since but just can't imagine ever using it unless I absolutely had to use a free app.

Shearie

Yeah, the bugs for the Podcasts app use to be pretty bad; in particular, the one where it marked random non-new episodes as unplayed which would drive me crazy. Ever since the last update that fixed all the bad bugs, it's been great. I always liked the interface and the skip buttons that also work on the lock screen. I got into some great podcasts browsing the Top Stations section. Unless you want to make custom playlists, I think it's a fine app.

Thinking about getting one of these now that im done with college... i kinda don't need a laptop anymore, and i have a desktop and iphone.

What do yall do with your ipads when away from wifi though? Just games?

Husker86

Thinking about getting one of these now that im done with college... i kinda don't need a laptop anymore, and i have a desktop and iphone.

What do yall do with your ipads when away from wifi though? Just games?

Tether to phone! (I don't have a Mini, but when I got through my tablet phases that's what I do)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
What carrier? Are you still on the unlimited plan?

I am. Options for me suck. Ah well, NYC is plastered with Wifi damn near everywhere... for the most part.

Though I was underground with a free Microsoft hotspot that my phone found but my Mini didn't. Was weird.

Well I just my iPad mini and I love it !

Screen isn't an issue, I barely notice it's not a Retina display.

Now I just need to find a case I like ...

whitehawk

Banned
Why doesn't the iPad/iPad mini have accounts? My family shares one now, and it would be so much easier to log into mine so I have all my settings and accounts logged in automatically. Now I have to log in and out for every service I use every time.

saelz8

Tried one at Fry's the other day. Love it. Love it. Love it.

I'm tempted to get one now, just sell it when Mini 2 is released.

bought one yesterday. "side-graded" from an iPad 3, so I'll be selling that soon. Yes, I do notice the lack of retina, but I much prefer the lighter weight and one-handedness. It also seems to feel better as a gaming machine as well, due to the better balance of size and weight.

And I might be doing some more flying this year, so it feels like it would be the perfect vacation device as well.

RBH

Tried this out at the Apple Store a couple days ago and absolutely loved it.

The lack of retina was not an issue for me, as the screen size and weight were perfect.

lupinko

I'll be buying an iPad mini later this month, so I just wanted to know how does syncing work when I also have an iPhone 5?

Like what I mean is, I don't want both devices syncing the same apps/media since I want them to have their own things (my education apps and some games on the mini and all the music and other stuff on my iPhone 5).

I'll be buying an iPad mini later this month, so I just wanted to know how does syncing work when I also have an iPhone 5?

Like what I mean is, I don't want both devices syncing the same apps/media since I want them to have their own things (my education apps and some games on the mini and all the music and other stuff on my iPhone 5).

You can configure independent sync options for every ios you connect to itunes.

lupinko

You can configure independent sync options for every ios you connect to itunes.

Oh that's cool, I didn't know since I don't have an iPad, even though in two instances I did have two iPhones but never bothered to notice this (had 3G and 4, then 4 and 5, but only to migrate the devices).

RBH

Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White today released a new report highlighting some of his observations from this week's CES in Las Vegas, noting that "checks" at the show suggest that Apple is looking to launch the next-generation versions of the iPad and iPad mini in March.

"Our checks at CES indicate Apple will release the iPad 5 and the second-generation iPad mini this March. The iPad 5 is expected to be lighter and thinner than the iPad 4 that was released in October, while the form factor of the iPad mini should be similar to the first generation iPad Mini that debuted in October."

White's comments are in line with a previous report from Japanese blog Macotakara which claimed that a thinner and lighter fifth-generation iPad will be launching in March. RBC analyst Doug Freedman had also claimed that Apple was accelerating its plans for the second-generation iPad mini.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/next-generation-ipad-and-ipad-mini-rumored-for-march-launch/

iPad Mini 2 with Retina or go away. If Retina, my iPad will be on sale a week or two prior to some lucky customer on Craigslist. There's nothing else I want or need out of the Mini. It doesn't struggle with any single game or app that I've tried other than text.

If they come out with iPad mini 2, I'm giving mine to my wife and buying the 2nd gen one. Although I have my doubt they can add a Retina display without severely impacting the weight, battery life, cost etc.

I wonder if it'll be like iPad 3(somewhat underpowered to drive the Retina display with good performance). I'm currently planning on waiting til iPad mini 3, so Apple can put a real good CPU/GPU in there.

My GF just won an iPad Mini. I have the iPad 3rd gen.

Not sure what to think of the Mini in my short time with it. I feel like I still skew to the larger screen, but the Mini is intriguing because of that smaller size. It's like the smaller size and weight is nice, but the large nature of the normal iPad is nice too. Quite a dilemma.

I'd probably have to wait for a refresh before I did anything drastic. Retina or above would be an absolute requirement.

Enco

I would be rather anoyed if they push out a new mini already ... fuck apples new half year release circle
You don't have to upgrade.

I hope they do push a new one out. Why wait another 6 months? What does that help? If they have the technology then great, release it.

Mairu

I would be rather anoyed if they push out a new mini already ... fuck apples new half year release circle

It's not like Apple products lose all their value as soon as a new one is released. Just sell it and get the new one. I don't see the big deal.

when the retina version comes out in March I'll join you guys, can't wait

why would you be annoyed? because you can no longer show off that you have the latest apple tech? because I see no other reason as a new retina mini release doesn't change YOUR product in anyway

Husker86

why would you be annoyed? because you can no longer show off that you have the latest apple tech? because I see no other reason as a new retina mini release doesn't change YOUR product in anyway

People say this a lot and I don't fully agree.

If you buy something that is soon replaced by something that is better at the same price it can be a bit disheartening. Similar to when the Nexus 7 doubled it's storage shortly after release; no, peoples' tablets didn't suddenly get crappier, but the value they got for their money did. This is usually all part of the game with electronics, but one year of usage is normally enough to make that value worth it.

If you take it to the extreme I seriously doubt you would have the same line of thought. What if, out of nowhere, Apple released a retina Mini one month after launch? You really think all of the launch buyers shouldn't feel bummed because hey, their tablet didn't suddenly change?

And I'm sure people will be mad because they can't run the streets showing off they have the latest Mini...yeah, that's the reason.

I felt similar when they replaced the iPad 3 relatively quickly. I got over it though and now know to wait for complete generational (as far as CPU/GPU tech goes) changes before I go in next. Though now I'm tabletless and am not really struggling without one.

Vyer

If you buy something that is soon replaced by something that is better at the same price it can be a bit disheartening. Similar to when the Nexus 7 doubled it's storage shortly after release; no, peoples' tablets didn't suddenly get crappier, but the value they got for their money did. This is usually all part of the game with electronics, but one year of usage is normally enough to make that value worth it.

If you take it to the extreme I seriously doubt you would have the same line of thought. What if, out of nowhere, Apple released a retina Mini one month after launch? You really think all of the launch buyers shouldn't feel bummed because hey, their tablet didn't suddenly change?

And I'm sure people will be mad because they can't run the streets showing off they have the latest Mini...yeah, that's the reason.

I felt similar when they replaced the iPad 3 relatively quickly. I got over it though and now know to wait for complete generational (as far as CPU/GPU tech goes) changes before I go in next. Though now I'm tabletless and am not really struggling without one.

I wonder if they are trying to find the 'sweet spot' in release schedules. I was a little annoyed about the iPad 4th gen after 6 months, but right about that time the Nexus got bumped after 3 and that by comparison was a lot worse.

Maybe these days with Android and Windows devices releasing more frequently you can't go that long anymore without something on the market. 1-3 months seems too short, but I guess it could be argued these days that 1 year is too long.

Flek

Banned

Yeha this -- 5 month is just to quick. I would love a Retina mini but iam not going to sell my mini at a loss. When Jobs was arround they had this great 1 year life circle of iProducts which lead to happier customers and products with bigger technologic advancments to the products before. Now within 1 year we have a ipad4, ipad mini and ipad5 and mini retina incoming. Sorry but at this price ita bullshit. Exapecialöy with souch an important feature like retina

and dont give me this "show off" bullshit - thats not what this is about

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Pretty sure nothing will get me to upgrade from the mini unless it's Retina.

But as I write that.... I know it's not true.
I use it so much that a processor or memory upgrade would benefit me as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't buy the rumor of a 6 month update cycle, but if they did switch to one, I don't see why it's a bad thing. Technology evolves fast. If they have something better, let them release it. Stop getting mad at a company for making their products better and enjoy what you have. Plus the high resale value makes it almost moot anyway.

MasLegio

Banned
considering buying an iPad mini for my mother as a gift on her 70th birthday

anything I should consider?

any accessories to suggest?

will probably buy the 4G version with 6 months of prepaid 4G (10GB)

what apps?

Yeha this -- 5 month is just to quick. I would love a Retina mini but iam not going to sell my mini at a loss. When Jobs was arround they had this great 1 year life circle of iProducts which lead to happier customers and products with bigger technologic advancments to the products before. Now within 1 year we have a ipad4, ipad mini and ipad5 and mini retina incoming. Sorry but at this price ita bullshit. Exapecialöy with souch an important feature like retina

and dont give me this "show off" bullshit - thats not what this is about

Why would you sell your mini at a loss as opposed to waiting until you feel they've done enough to deserve your money? Unless Apple receives a lot of complaints about their release schedule and it hurts their image somehow, there's not much else we can do I think. The iPad 4 changing things up did bother me right or wrong, but ultimately it works just fine.

I'm looking to get to a retina/LTE mini when it's eventually released. Do I lose out on a lot if I trade my iPad 3 in at a physical store? I've never used eBay or Craigslist, but I guess I need to get comfortable if there are no advantages from doing it a local place.

SteveWD40

I can't help but feel that the 4 was a misstep or a way to get to a Q3 / pre Xmas release for all tablets. Recent info points to all new tablets being Q3 2013 now.

Top Bottom