• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

I love the form factor of the iPad mini. Very sleek. Very comfortable to read/browse in bed. But I can't stand the non-retina display. So I'm going to stick with my Nexus 7 until the next model of iPad mini releases and then I'm going to go for it.

iam using the mini since the 24th dec. and have done all my mobile surfing on my 4s before and iam not sure if i can get used to the really unsharp text on the mini. Whats wrong with text rendering? I swear i never noticed an problem with text on my ipad1. Could my mini be faulty!?? All i hear is praise - an while i really like the minis display i can´t stop beeing anoyed by how unsharp most of the text on webpages looks …
also wlan problems :(

Congrats, you have good eyes. It's a curse these days, I know.

Snaku

Banned
I love the form factor of the iPad mini. Very sleek. Very comfortable to read/browse in bed. But I can't stand the non-retina display. So I'm going to stick with my Nexus 7 until the next model of iPad mini releases and then I'm going to go for it.

I'm in the same boat.

I'm thinking of getting some Pen to Write with it( Just bought Notability which was and still might be on sale that I highly recommend), I saw an article on the verge that might help, but was wondering if any of you might have any recommendations as well

I bought this, the Adonit Jot Classic Stylus: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GSS8TG/?tag=neogaf0e-20.

31U2bklNYOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seems to be good, although I don't really take many notes or draw, so. It was a replacement for one of those fat spongy-tipped pens, which I found fairly useless.

Metalmarc

got a 32gb mini and wish id got a 64gb one now im already down to 10gb in a space of 3 weeks, no music, no videos, just apps and only a few! but they are big ones like:

batman dark knight rises
dead space
nba jam
mass effect
monoploly

etc and yes i want to keep all of these apps

I bought this, the Adonit Jot Classic Stylus: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GSS8TG/?tag=neogaf0e-20.

31U2bklNYOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Seems to be good, although I don't really take many notes or draw, so. It was a replacement for one of those fat spongy-tipped pens, which I found fairly useless.
Cool, have you had any problems with scratches or anything, how long have you had it? I think scratches on my screen is my most worrying problem with one of these so far

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I got a Mini for Christmas and I am utterly transfixed at the perfection of this device. Seriously pleased and happy. Also, I've picked up Magic 2013 and have been getting destroyed but having fun.

Cool, have you had any problems with scratches or anything, how long have you had it? I think scratches on my screen is my most worrying problem with one of these so far

No problems with scratches, but I honestly have barely used it. I don't really see how it would scratch the screen, it's a plastic disk against glass. It's a very nice-looking stylus and performs much better than the foam-tipped ones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have the Adonit mini and don't like it. It's weird because you have deliberately make sure the little saucer is straight and it makes it very cumbersome and un responsive. You can't just make strokes instinctually you have to mind the saucer. Also the saucer pops off easily. And it seems to not register touches on my mini very often.

I have the Adonit mini and don't like it. It's weird because you have deliberately make sure the little saucer is straight and it makes it very cumbersome and un responsive. You can't just make strokes instinctually you have to mind the saucer. Also the saucer pops off easily. And it seems to not register touches on my mini very often.
I've posted my dream tablet in the Windows 8 hardware thread, but should Apple ever decide to finally add pen support in some way or another, that doesn't require weird rubber or saucer pens, my god, I'd be all over it. Even a Wacom layer with an optional pen for $79 would be bought in an instant.

Fact is, all pens so far are terrible and I can't believe it hasn't changed yet.

cbox

I've posted my dream tablet in the Windows 8 hardware thread, but should Apple ever decide to finally add pen support in some way or another, that doesn't require weird rubber or saucer pens, my god, I'd be all over it. Even a Wacom layer with an optional pen for $79 would be bought in an instant.

Fact is, all pens so far are terrible and I can't believe is hasn't changed yet.

The refresh rate on these tablets is pretty crappy too, 1:1 would be amazing...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I'm currently reading The Walking Dead on my Mini and it is perfect.

What app are you using? I need a decent comic viewer. Preferably one I can side load with some cbrs I bought a while ago, but a good native store is a plus too.

jts

...hate me...
C'mon, styli on the iPad are not so bad. I mean they are pretty basic yeah. But I enjoy the hell out of doodling with them anyway, certainly beats using the finger.

Of course, if the tech evolves, the better.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I have such an urge to sell my 32G ipad 2 and get a mini, but i know i will want the retina display when it comes out. oh man.

Darko

Someone stole my mini lte :(
Saw it was online still using find my iphone but They turned off location services so i couldnt track it... Hasnt been online since yesterday do assume they wiped it already :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Saw it was online still using find my iphone but They turned off location services so i couldnt track it... Hasnt been online since yesterday do assume they wiped it already :(
Damn that's bad. How did they take it?

jts

...hate me...
I have such an urge to sell my 32G ipad 2 and get a mini, but i know i will want the retina display when it comes out. oh man.
Do it anyway. Think like this, if you get it as soon as possible, you reduce your exposure to the risk of the retina mini coming later than expected.

At the same time, the money you will lose when you upgrade from the mini to the retina mini, is mitigated by the money you will also lose from the deprecation your iPad 2 will/would suffer from now till that moment.

ipadmini-handheld.jpg

Do eet.

jts

...hate me...

Damn son, I'd be heart broken :(

Don't forget to report it. I think that once Apple gets the serial of stolen products, they will keep them when they go for repair.

Also, I think that stuff can be done with your IMEI number as well, not sure. Theoretically, it can be at the very least banned from cellular service.

mooooose

What app are you using? I need a decent comic viewer. Preferably one I can side load with some cbrs I bought a while ago, but a good native store is a plus too.
Comic Flow, I believe. It doesn't have a native store though, but it works with CBRs, all the comics look great, organization is easy, and getting comics on it is decently easy. You can either connect to it through your computer and a WebDAV client, like Cyberduck (it sounds harder than it is, if you're not into this stuff haha) OR you can apparently load them from iTunes.

You can ALSO load them onto Google Drive/Dropbox, and just download them as you need them (which is what I did initially but then I started reading them too fast, so I just downloaded all of them).

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Thanks...

Aaaaand just found something. Dust under the screen or a stuck pixel. Not sure. Fuuuuuuu.

I've had my mini since launch and I still love it. I find it completely useless for reading books, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite for that, so no big deal. For gaming, sports apps, browsing, social apps, Skype etc it's amazing. I got shit for saying that it was the "perfect" size when it came out, but my mind hasn't changed. This little sucker is pretty much perfect in size and weight. Retina, more memory and a better processor will be the cherry on top.

I've had my mini since launch and I still love it. I find it completely useless for reading books, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite for that, so no big deal. For gaming, sports apps, browsing, social apps, Skype etc it's amazing. I got shit for saying that it was the "perfect" size when it came out, but my mind hasn't changed. This little sucker is pretty much perfect in size and weight. Retina, more memory and a better processor will be the cherry on top.

I think the size and shape is absolutely perfect. I hate the shape of the big iPad since the iPad 2. It's just uncomfortable to hold with that weight and the sharp corners. But it's just the rest that is lacking on the mini and that's a shame, IMO. I simply can't go back to a non-retina display, even if the dpi is a big higher than on my OG iPad. Seeing the picture jts posted hurts, because it's so pretty and I want it really bad, but not with the current hardware. In the mean time I'll just keep using my iPad 4 and be jealous of everyone who can enjoy the mini.

mooooose

I only notice the screen if I look at a better screen and then at the mini. Otherwise, I don't realize what I'm missing.

Happy with my mini.

Doodis

Been an iPhone user for years, but I'm just now planning to jump into the iPad world. Went into the Apple store the other day to compare the iPad 4 with the iPad mini. I'm so torn. The retina display on the larger iPad is just so beautiful, but man, that thing is soooo heavy. It's almost uncomfortable to hold with one hand.

The mini just feels so perfect in your hand. But that screen! Ugh. I'm planning on using it as a reading device as well as everything else, so I'm just having a really hard time deciding. First world problems, ya'll.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a white iPad Mini for Christmas and love it. It's an upgrade from the iPad 1, so it's good to use an iPad that can actually handle some decent workloads. I've already used it so much. I put Dropbox on it so I can study from anywhere, a file browser lets me use my NAS, NY Times app, etc. Yes that's nothing any iPad can't do but that form factor, so nice.

Been an iPhone user for years, but I'm just now planning to jump into the iPad world. Went into the Apple store the other day to compare the iPad 4 with the iPad mini. I'm so torn. The retina display on the larger iPad is just so beautiful, but man, that thing is soooo heavy. It's almost uncomfortable to hold with one hand.

The mini just feels so perfect in your hand. But that screen! Ugh. I'm planning on using it as a reading device as well as everything else, so I'm just having a really hard time deciding. First world problems, ya'll.

Agreed with all of that. Your best option is to wait for the retina Mini. I'll definitely be selling mine when the retina version is eventually revealed. I don't recommend the Mini for reading. I don't really recommend any backlit device for reading books. Blurry text and the light blasting into your eyes regardless of brightness just tires your eyes.

jts

...hate me...
I recommend the mini for reading.
I've been reading so much more since I got it. The size is so comfortable, perfect weight too.

And the screen... is gud.
It's not perfect, sure. You can't use an infinitely small font. But just up that font size a notch and you're golden.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I wouldn't try that. I had two gorilla glass phones in the past and both scratched when I put them in the same pocket with my keys.
With iPhones?

I've done the key test (forcibly "scratching" back and forth on the glass) on all my iOS devices there's never been a mark.

Pachimari

I got a white iPad Mini for Christmas and love it. It's an upgrade from the iPad 1, so it's good to use an iPad that can actually handle some decent workloads. I've already used it so much. I put Dropbox on it so I can study from anywhere, a file browser lets me use my NAS, NY Times app, etc. Yes that's nothing any iPad can't do but that form factor, so nice.
I'm interested. Which file browser lets you browse your NAS? :)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
My sister and brother in law bought me and iPad Mini and I love it!

About the screen war, it's noticeable when side by side, but it's nowhere near a deal breaker like some people are making it out to be.

Raistlin

About the screen war, it's noticeable when side by side, but it's nowhere near a deal breaker like some people are making it out to be.
Matters the use-case and your expectations.

AndTAR

Great, good you're enjoying it!

For most of my uses, I think the rez is fine also. I never found it difficult to read text in portrait on the old iPad, for some reason. (Until a certain threshold, ofc: about 3-4px.) Pictures do suffer, though.

Also, here in Denmark, the price for a used Mini is starting to match the price for a used iPad 2 - so pretty great deal (or just iPad 2 retaining massive value? lol)

I think I'd be much more comfortable with a case on the mini, because it would actually leave my apartment, unlike the iPad 4.

I'd definitely use something like this.

OMsou.jpg

While it obviously adds more bulk, it seems nicer than going naked.
I was a faithful Portenzo user on the iPad 3, but its thickness/bulk just barely exceeded my tolerances. While Mini book cases are probably about as thick, I imagine it would become a lot more tolerable, simply due to the lower weight. So pretty hooked on the book cover thing for the Mini..

DarkFlow

Banned
It's a real shame apple has locked down the OS so tight. I was hoping for a jailbreak before the year was out, now it won't likely happen till 6.1 drops, if ever.

I was a faithful Portenzo user on the iPad 3, but its thickness/bulk just barely exceeded my tolerances. While Mini book cases are probably about as thick, I imagine it would become a lot more tolerable, simply due to the lower weight. So pretty hooked on the book cover thing for the Mini..

See, that's what I'm saying. I'd never buy something like this for my iPad 4, as it's already heavy and bulky and I wouldn't take it with me anyway, but the mini would be perfect for it, as long as it doesn't doubles the weight.

AndTAR

Finally got this beast; second-hand for 25% below retail, acceptable enough to me.

Really liking everything, don't really mind the iPad 2 internals; however, it seems to behave a lot different than my iPad 2, regarding retention of things in RAM. Safari just kills tabs like a lunatic maniac, much more than my iPad 2 ever did. Could it be iOS 6 consuming loads of memory, or something?

Zips

I was given a mini for christmas. Never had an Apple device before, and hadn't planned on getting a pad, but it seems pretty useful for social apps and some other things at least.

Any (free) apps people recommend?

RoylAsult

So ive been itching to get an ipad for some reason and im starting to regret buying my macbook air over the summer. Ive been looking on Amazon and have been seeing some 1st gens for about 280 on Amazon which isnt that bad but i wondering if its even worth to get the first gen or just to wait till the others are cheaper, the main thing i would use it would be to watch netflix and movies and to occasionally surf the web

lupinko

I'll get around to picking up a 16GB iPad mini sometime this month.

It is primarily going for school use, I'll splurge on a 64GB or whatever highest capacity model whenever they do a retina version.

If I want to type notes in class, is it worth it to get a keyboard? I feel the screen may be too small for that. Idk.

I'd think so. iPad Mini keyboard is adequate but I still think you need an external keyboard for any actual work. Even note taking.

If I want to type notes in class, is it worth it to get a keyboard? I feel the screen may be too small for that. Idk.

Depends on how quickly you are wanting to type. It's certainly possible to type in landscape and be fine. But if you plan on having to type pretty quickly, I'd suggest a keyboard.

Top Bottom