• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

BigDug13

You guys pushing for retina realize that the power per pixel won't be adequate until the mini 3 right? And that there's no guarantee that it will be as thin or as light as the current model?

I guess you could hold out for a couple more years to see if it's worthwhile, but like the ipad3, the mini2 won't be powerful enough for the resolution.

You guys pushing for retina realize that the power per pixel won't be adequate until the mini 3 right? And that there's no guarantee that it will be as thin or as light as the current model?

I guess you could hold out for a couple more years to see if it's worthwhile, but like the ipad3, the mini2 won't be powerful enough for the resolution.

But the iPad 3 has retina.. does that have bad performance?

cube444

I'm actually happy with my iPad 3 until it dies. I bought the mini as a gift for my nieces and I could never own one due to the step down in resolution. I find the mini way too small and would consider an iPad 5 over a mini 2 or 3.

I think it's perfect for my nieces though who can't decipher between a good resolution and a mediocre one. The mini is the perfect size for kids their ages too.

Talon

Yeah, I'm with Anand - it seems like wistful thinking to assume that the mini would be retina vy next year with the same form factor. I'm sure there will be much gnashing of teeth.

Played with one of these at the AT&T store.

I really liked the size and build quality. It felt better in my hands than my iPad 3 (or the "new iPad" whatever the fuck it's called).
Obviously you sacrifice screen size but it might be more ideal for reading books.

But it's still missing features and priced too high.

Dunlop

Picked one up for my father in law for christmas.

Was disturbing that I was able to by 2 x Galaxy Tab 2's with cases for less than the price of a single 16GB base model

(Apple knows how to make money lol).

The experience started with me wanting to assault an apple Genius when I asked if they had stock on the way to work. It the store was open but not for business (tutorials or troubleshooting with customers?), dude would not answer the simple question and just walked away from me like I wasn't there.

Was impressed however when I picked it up in the afternoon and the whole purchase was done through a Iphone and I was out of the store in under 5 minutes.

I'll play around with it more this week when I go visit but it just seems HUGE

dallow_bg

nods at old men

You think the mini2 will use the same chipset as the iPad 2/3 and not the A6?

numble

You think the mini2 will use the same chipset as the iPad 2/3 and not the A6?
It may use an A6, but whether it uses an A6X, which has a quadcore SGX554, is up in the air (A6 has a tri-core SGX543, and A5X had a quadcore SGX543).

I don't know if you can have denser PPI than the iPad 3/4 without doing some sacrifices to weight and thickness. Maybe with some newer screen tech.

Heh, what games show this or how does this lack of power manifest in an ipad3? This is the first time I've heard this.

It may use an A6, but whether it uses an A6X, which has a quadcore SGX554, is up in the air (A6 has a tri-core SGX543, and A5X had a quadcore SGX543).

I don't know if you can have denser PPI than the iPad 3/4 without doing some sacrifices to weight and thickness. Maybe with some newer screen tech.

Well, if the mini went retina, it would be 326ppi. Remember that's what the iPod touch is, and the new one is razor thin.

mooooose

The minis form factor is the best out of any tablet I've ever used. It's perfect. Retina isn't worth it if it hinders what is supposed to be a portable device.

RedSwirl

Just got one. Now I need to find a cover that doesn't fuck up the aesthetic and form factor. Basically, I wanna go as close to naked as possible while still having some protection.

Also, this thread's OP won't load on the iPad Mini, ironically.

Radec

The minis form factor is the best out of any tablet I've ever used. It's perfect. Retina isn't worth it if it hinders what is supposed to be a portable device.

It is. Nexus 7 felt cheap compared to the mini.

Retina is inevitable though. Apple can easily do it without any weight sacrifices on the mini.

sk3

Banned
The ipad got heavier and thicker when it went retina. Apple should not let that happen again with the mini.

numble

Well, if the mini went retina, it would be 326ppi. Remember that's what the iPod touch is, and the new one is razor thin.
But it would have to be larger in surface area. Why isn't the iPad 4 razor thin when it has lower PPI than an iPod Touch?

The iPod Touch also has relatively poor WiFi battery life.

reKon

Banned
Finally held one of these in a Sam's Club a few days ago. It feels so nice. If I cared enough about dropping over $300 on any tablet I'd pick this over an iPad 2 for sure. Apple is still killing it on the hardware front. A mini with updated specs and improved battery life would be amazing. Now if only it wasn't running iOS =[

Liked the Nexus 7, but I use apps alot and some android apps just aren't tablet ready.

Yeah the app store is apples strength. For me I have found the play store serves my needs just fine but I have plenty of iOS experience and can see why people might prefer the app store.

The key is that the world is seeing how great the 7" (or there about) form factor is. I held off a tablet until both nexus 7 and mini were out as I always though my wife's iPad was way to big.

Pretty sure there are a lot of happy new iPad mini, nexus 7 and kindle fire owners this Xmas. Be interesting to see how sales went because I know at least the mini and nexus sold out a lot in the run up

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any thoughts on how well baldurs gate handles on the mini? Thinking about either getting the ripad 3 or mini still. BGee will be my first purchase.

Right, but the amount of pixels the retina iPad would be pushing is massively more than the retina pod touch. That's the biggie, not necessarily ppi...it's the amount of pixels this thing would have to push.

I just picked a mini up and I'm looking for the best case that wont scratch the back up.

I was looking at the KHOMO Super-Slim and the Photive SlimPad. Can anyone recommend either one of these or another one?

Also, does apple sell a longer cable that what comes with the mini? The one I received barely reaches the top of my nightstand (2.5 - 3 feet tall).

Can't Apple go retina with the IZGO screen and not increase thickness?

Possibly. But then they need to dominate IGZO production and substantially increase the cost of each iPad screen. So whether they want to do that on the product with the lowest profit cut already remains to be seen.

I'm close to getting, I probably would if it weren't sold out everywhere.

Can't shake the feeling I'll have the biggest case of buyer's remorse when the Mini2 comes out.

Carlisle

Can't shake the feeling I'll have the biggest case of buyer's remorse when the Mini2 comes out.

The risk of buyer's remorse when your consumer electronic device gets updated isn't exclusive to Apple products. It'll always happen, so just get what you want when you want it and upgrade when you want.

Even though the mini doesn't have retina, the resolution is still a lot better than iPad 1 and 2, so the jump to retina won't be as stark of a contrast as going from iPad 2->3. Sure it'll be better, but I can certainly live with the current mini res as is for a couple more iterations before upgrading. Hell, I'm still sporting an iPad 2.

buhdeh

Just wait. Yes, tech always improves but I'd have more buyer's remorse getting an iPad 2 and having them move to the retina iPad 3 the next year than I'd have getting an iPad 3 and having them move to the iPad 4.

Of course, this is assuming the next mini WILL go retina

Double D

Already owned an iPad 1. Bought a 4 and 2 minis for christmas. I think I like the mini better than anything. Also I can't really see the difference between any of the displays. I wear glasses but have a current prescription, so I don't think LensCrafters is going to help me out.

Flek

Banned
got a 16gb LTE version for christmas and love it so far. Of course text could be sharper and all but whatever - i like the new dual speakers. They sound really great!

What i disliked is how they swapped the liquid metal pins (you know those tiny things to remove the sim) for a really cheap looking pin thingy. Thats a point where i think … ok jobs wouldn't have done this.

Anyway iam going to review some ipad mini cases in early january - if you guys are interested i can post pictures and short impressions here too.

Anyway iam going to review some ipad mini cases in early january - if you guys are interested i can post pictures and short impressions here too.

Can you list them? That would be great. I'll most likely get a mini with the retina update (whenever that happens), so ordering a good case with it would be nice.

Is it normal for this thing to charge so slowly? It was at 25% last night at around 11pm, it's now 8:30 and its just at 94%. So about a 60% charge in 9 and a half hours?

I don't know if it matters but this was my first time charging it

Zeth

The Mini is perfect for going case-less. Mine has held up much better than my iPhone 5. The painted bezel is still nearly perfect. I don't think I'd give up the sleek lightness for some protection.

SeanR1221

The Mini is perfect for going case-less. Mine has held up much better than my iPhone 5. The painted bezel is still nearly perfect. I don't think I'd give up the sleek lightness for some protection.

I have as,art cover but was looking at cases at Target last night. So many add too much bulk and ruin the sleek look of the mini.

I think I'd be much more comfortable with a case on the mini, because it would actually leave my apartment, unlike the iPad 4.

I'd definitely use something like this.

OMsou.jpg

While it obviously adds more bulk, it seems nicer than going naked.

Fox Mulder

Mine slid to the floor the other day and only left a little scratch on the corner. I almost had a heart attack but will still go naked.

SeanR1221

Since I play a lot of games on it adding any bulk just ruins it. If someone has a very thin, sleek case I'm all ears, but until then I'm sticking with my Smart Cover.

It's funny, my fiancé has a 2008 MacBook. She was going back and forth on the mini. She didn't like the iPad (too big and too heavy) but thought she might like the mini. Her fear was it wouldn't replace her laptop.

Now? She hasn't touched her MacBook. She was thanking me this morning for talking her into the mini. Post PC world, y'all.

I'm thinking of getting some Pen to Write with it( Just bought Notability which was and still might be on sale that I highly recommend), I saw an article on the verge that might help, but was wondering if any of you might have any recommendations as well

Flek

Banned
iam using the mini since the 24th dec. and have done all my mobile surfing on my 4s before and iam not sure if i can get used to the really unsharp text on the mini. Whats wrong with text rendering? I swear i never noticed an problem with text on my ipad1. Could my mini be faulty!?? All i hear is praise - an while i really like the minis display i can´t stop beeing anoyed by how unsharp most of the text on webpages looks …
also wlan problems :(

Top Bottom