• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Tizoc

_dementia said:
Color Edit was fun in CvS2. One nice feature from last gen that was removed in favor of DLC outfits this gen :(
Err Tekken 6 didn't have DLC outfits I believe? You just kept playing, racking up cash and buying the customizations.

Oh and anyone hear the rumor about the game getting 5 characters never before being in a KoF game? I'm gonna go and assume one of them is Saiki leaving us with 4 =V
OH OH, Billy+Eiji+Freeman

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
5 never before seen in a KoF could also include Raiden and Hwa Jai, however.

Which would leave 3 characters not mentioned, which would be perfect for a team.. hmm.

Of course, they could include Playable Saiki (Normal form) could be another. Which would be cool. Even his other forms could count... which would be a little bleh, but acceptable. I'd rather see other TFTP members (Botan and Ron?) before that, however.

Anywho, color edit will be AWESOME. Really quite interested to see how this all works out! Modifying sprites with this level of color depth + palette sections could lead to some fantastic creations. It might pull it off better than any other modern 2D fighter this gen.

I'd love to see Kushnood in this game, too, BTW. Charged P and K moves would give Raiden a run for his money! I think New Takuma is similiar to him, however, so I don't know if he'd be the freshest choice. But all his personal details (Great overhead to combo out of, his unique forms of Hien Shippukyaku, unique DP, DP breaking, chargeable/mashable variable Ranbu, and advancing parry specials) would help seperate him from the rest.

Grokbu

Do we know if the console version that the DC staff will try out will be close to the final version of the game, or will it only include stuff we have seen so far (by that I mean if it will include the new character we haven't seen, if there are more)?

Tizoc said:
Well he did subject my eyes to that silly post to begin with =/

You're a classy dude.

I'd change my post if you don't want to get banned, pretty sure outright attacking other members is against TOS.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Grokbu said:
Do we know if the console version that the DC staff will try out will be close to the final version of the game, or will it only include stuff we have seen so far (by that I mean if it will include the new character we haven't seen, if there are more)?

Going by that orochinagi podcast, it sounds like he's SEEN the version the DC guys will be trying out, and that he has a good concept of the features it has. He seems to suggest that the color edit option + new stages are in that build, at least.

No real indication of the story mode, mission modes, or any of that are there, yet. Would be nice to have a "completion percent" stamped on this preview!

Grokbu

SAB CA said:
Going by that orochinagi podcast, it sounds like he's SEEN the version the DC guys will be trying out, and that he has a good concept of the features it has. He seems to suggest that the color edit option + new stages are in that build, at least.

No real indication of the story mode, mission modes, or any of that are there, yet. Would be nice to have a "completion percent" stamped on this preview!
Alright, I guess we'll know soon enough.
Gonna be nice to hear about some of the new features in the console version at least. I hope they're allowed to film some stuff too.

tumblr_liez2v1Y651qg03pro1_500.gif

I'm in heaven with that new trailer. C'mon Atlus, you're up next!

edit: Linking again for the new page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ7NlmrUUE4

If the PR is true, then I guess we won't be seeing Yamazaki back. I have faith in SNKP that they aren't adding characters for the sake of adding them and that they will be unique.

But seriously now, we have a crapload of stages, lemme list them:

XII makeovers:

1 - Fat Lady Stage, France
2 - Pyramid, Egypt
3 - Marketplace, China

XIII arcade:

4 - Rose Stadium, USA
5 - Taj Mahal, India
6 - Jungle, Brazil
7 - Bus Square, England
8 - Sumo Festival, Japan
9 - Southtown Rooftop, USA
10 - Saiki Stage, USA
11 - Dark Ash Stage, Fabulous Land

XIII console:

12 - Kyokugen Dojo, USA
13 - Iori '95, USA
14 - Desert Stage, Whoknowswhere
15 - Clock Tower, England
16 - Ruins, some nature area
17 - Esaka '96, Japan
18 - Pao Pao Café, USA
19 - Castle Interior, some place with active vulcanoes?
20 - Getto Stage, probably USA
21 - Blacknoah, high in the skyyyyy
22 - Rose Stadium Rooftop (yeah, ok, whateva)

Hoooo boy. Also glad that there's a great color edit mode that isn't day 1 DLC, I'm really excited for this.

*Edit: I forgot Blacknoah, hahaha. Also, there are rumors that the Rose Stadium Rooftop is also a stage, but I saw the freeze frame before and didn't think much of it, I just thought they showed that just for the hell of it. It's weird to have two stages on the same location, at least Day and Night Stadium in XII looked completely different.

Grokbu

Yeah, they are seriously packing this game to the brim. I think this is turning out to be one of the more ambitious home ports* of arcade games that I've seen.

*Dunno if it can be called a port when it's got a load of new stuff?

Grokbu said:
Yeah, they are seriously packing this game to the brim. I think this is turning out to be one of the more ambitious home ports* of arcade games that I've seen.

*Dunno if it can be called a port when it's got a load of new stuff?

THE KING sounds good, haha.

The more I look at the freeze frames of the trailer, the more I notice the funny story mode shots.

PUKYH.png

I really wonder what the story behind this is, I don't think this one was ever translated by fans.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
K' is so damn boss.... Like Bruce Springsteen boss.

Grokbu

_dementia said:
I wonder if these additions will get backported to arcade as "KOFXIII Ultimate Match" or whatever.
I get the feeling that they're gonna release a nesica version, but who knows?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
General Shank-a-snatch said:
I really wonder what the story behind this is, I don't think this one was ever translated by fans.

I hear they're all translated in the Iphone game? Suprised I haven't seen them listed anywhere, given that.

Guess we'll know soon enough either way! And it's way too cool to see a return of Sky Noah... as much as I dislike KoF 2003, I did enjoy that stage, and how violent Rose seemed, when backed into a corner. The daughter recieved daddy's anger issues, the son recieved his fighting ability!

Sibarraz on DC points out that the craggy-ground looking mansion area might be Chizuru's mansion, btw. This makes sense, since Iori sneaks in to talk to her overnight, in the story writings.

I doubt this means she'll playable be in the game (I'd love for her too, but she'd be powerless at this point in the story...), but it'll be nice to see her show up anyway...

SAB CA said:
I hear they're all translated in the Iphone game? Suprised I haven't seen them listed anywhere, given that.

I'd be surprised if more than 20 people bought it, but yeah I hope to see them soon.

It could be Chizuru's mansion, but that would mean that other characters should be there to defend her. Unless they are using stages as a backdrop and they do dialogues like XIII arcade mode mixed with brief animation parts like Kyo vs TFTP. She has to be REALLY depressed if she neglected her mansion that much, though.

To be honest, I don't think we'll get more stages, because 10 new stages + at least 5 (?) new characters is a lot in one year (for a console version, that is) and we know SNKP ain't the richest around the block, even though the arcade version did well. If only we could get a brief glimpse of the gameplay in Story Mode, then we could conclude how the stages will be used.

Grokbu said:
I get the feeling that they're gonna release a nesica version, but who knows?
PLEASE not a Nesica version, keep it in the X2. I don‘t want to be stuck playing an outdated version at the arcade, I had enough of that with BB >=/ Have they even found a way to play CS2 outside Japan yet?

Anyways, that trailer makes me extremely hype for this again.

SolarKnight said:
PLEASE not a Nesica version, keep it in the X2. I don‘t want to be stuck playing an outdated version at the arcade, I had enough of that with BB >=/ Have they even found a way to play CS2 outside Japan yet?

There was an arcade in Texas that had CS2.

patrickthehedgehog said:
150+ reviews on itunes. Nicest fighter on iOS for sure!

(doesn't own Apple thingies on his PC) Not bad, I guess.

Oh, and I finally realized why there were voices playing for no reason in the Rising Star trailer, they took the audio straight from the Arcade promo video from last year. Didn't they get access to the material from the game? Strange.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
K' is so damn boss.... Like Bruce Springsteen boss.

Maxima looks like Kiryu Kazama. Class on his own.

Is it confirmed we'll get at least 3 new characters never in KOF?

Probably someone from aof or ff. I want John the Guile copy from AOF, and the charge grappler Jubei from FF. Who else hmmm...? Oh, Rock Howard of course!

^ Yes, John Crawley would rule.

We might get Jin from AOF3. He's already made his nonsensical cameos in XII and 02UM, he could be an easy to produce character to make his fans happy.

GrayFoxPL said:
Maxima looks like Kiryu Kazama. Class on his own.

Is it confirmed we'll get at least 3 new characters never in KOF?

Probably someone from aof or ff. I want John the Guile copy from AOF, and the charge grappler Jubei from FF. Who else hmmm...? Oh, Rock Howard of course!

I often wonder when we will his glory again. Timeline canon says he's too young for KOF yet, Jenet and Tizoc being in XI negates this. Oh let me stop my Rock fanboy tendencies

Grokbu

SolarKnight said:

Regarding CSII, as I understand it, there are arcades that have it by using special boards that doesn't need nesica to run.
I'm not really sure though, so don't take my word for it. :p

Urban Scholar said:
I often wonder when we will his glory again. Timeline canon says he's too young for KOF yet, Jenet and Tizoc being in XI negates this. Oh let me stop my Rock fanboy tendencies

Garou age:

- Jenet, Tizoc, Gato, Hotaru, Kush

KOF age (waaaay too young):

- Rock (child in 2001 and 2002 Terry winpose, 2003 intro)
- Dong and Jae

Fatal Fury and KOF are completely different timelines.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Garou age:

- Jenet, Tizoc, Gato, Hotaru, Kush

KOF age (waaaay too young):

- Rock (child in 2001 and 2002 Terry winpose, 2003 intro)
- Dong and Jae

Fatal Fury and KOF are completely different timelines.
if true then it's great !! let's put everyone IN

^ Including the kids? That would be some lousy parenting, haha.

Urban Scholar said:
Trust me when I got into KOFXI I dealt with the canon making no sense years ago already.

There are many things that don't make sense at all, it's not worth worrying about it. For example, here are some things that bother me right now:

- Geese is alive, but young Rock still hangs out with Terry. It's never explained how they ended up, unless I missed it somewhere.
- Psycho Soldiers (at least Kensou) talk about Ron in the XIII ending, but are they really supposed to know about him? He's supposed to be a villain lurking from the shadows, waiting for the Dragon Power within Kensou and Bao to grow stronger.

That's from the top of my head. The XIII dialogues hint at more future sidestories; Vice knows about the Dragon Power and Duo Lon seems to know _something_ mysterious about Ryo and Yuri.

They definitely have some 'splaining to do.

\/ Oh, of course. It would just be strange for example to have Dong and Jae in their early 20s during gameplay when they were already considered kids for the KOF timeline. It should be one or the other. Unless they are planning for a huge timeskip and give everyone grey hair, wrinkles and them swallowing painpills after doing a NeoMAX.

I was reading some of the stories on KOF-i while on a break at work. I only made it through the "Before the Tournament" and "Fatal Fury" team stories. Honestly the didn't make much sense to me as I'm not so huge into the actual KOF story, but someone should transcribe them and post them up! I'm surprised by how long some of them are (Ash's story).

photo-1.png

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sooooo, according to THE ANSWER on DC, Billy and Saiki are both playable on the EVO build... Neomax is also only 2 meters in HD mode now.

Top Bottom