• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
robut said:
Oh I think that's definetly Whip. My question is who's the dude on top? He looks super angry and with sharp teeth? Maybe Maxima got a redesign?
Nah, thats Hwa Jai ( Think about him as SNK's Adon ;) )

LowParry

robut said:
Oh I think that's definetly Whip. My question is who's the dude on top? He looks super angry and with sharp teeth? Maybe Maxima got a redesign?

With all these character re-designs, who the hell knows who that third one is. Could be Vanessa for all we know.

GrayFoxPL

arstal said:
I hope FFWA makes it over to US PSN, if that has netplay. I know it's on Japan PSN, and FF is so underappreciated.

PS1 ports have no online play.

AdawgDaFAB said:
So is that supposed to be Hwa Jai, K', and Whip/Kula/Who Knows?

Likely.

I thought that they could be the character standing in front of the screens.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This beast of game is releasing so soon and theres no website covering it.

Goddam' SNKP !!! Hey if anyone from SNKPlaymore (Or Atlus,Ignition,Konami... dunno who's the publisher) is reading this : We need to hype this game up!!

Im tweeting every single bit of info i get.
Im trying to keep this thread updated.

Im doing my part ^__^

hwa jai on the kim team??? Interesting (much better than chang and choi in my opinion), its really cool to see a fatal fury (part 2) team to go head on with the other one...pretty bad ass.

Either way, those graphics are amazing, the sprites are drawn at the same resolution as the guilty gear ones but with crazy detail and animation right? I keep hearing blazblue sprites are drawn at HD but with less detail, so I guess its a matter of preference at this point. I still think XIII is the best looking 2d fighter so far.

PS. is Hwa Jai a bad guy??

Jagernaut

Fersis said:
Nope, there isnt such rule.
MS has a 6 month exclusivity deal. (Dont know if SNKP is going to release the games on PSN)

Is this confirmed? SNK games are worth Microsoft's time to ask for exclusivity?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
atomiswave said:
hwa jai on the kim team??? Interesting (much better than chang and choi in my opinion), its really cool to see a fatal fury (part 2) team to go head on with the other one...pretty bad ass.

Either way, those graphics are amazing, the sprites are drawn at the same resolution as the guilty gear ones but with crazy detail and animation right? I keep hearing blazblue sprites are drawn at HD but with less detail, so I guess its a matter of preference at this point. I still think XIII is the best looking 2d fighter so far.

PS. is Hwa Jai a bad guy??

He was in the first one. Kim with two "bad guys" is a good concept as always. I'd rather have seen anyone else from FF instead- such as Billy, Yamazaki, Rick, or Mary.

With kim on the roster, you kinda need a puncher to balance him out.

arstal said:
He was in the first one. Kim with two "bad guys" is a good concept as always. I'd rather have seen anyone else from FF instead- such as Billy, Yamazaki, Rick, or Mary.

With kim on the roster, you kinda need a puncher to balance him out.

thats true, you got a team that consists of a wrestler, tkd, and muay thai, which is definitely variety, and quite possibly the most interesting team in my opinion.

rvy

Banned
ToD_ said:
I'm at work at the moment, and won't be able to watch the trailer until I get home. Is there anything new in the trailer? Any new/returning characters? (K'?)
What trailer? Did a trailer come out? All I see is an intro video?

Fersis

rvy said:
What trailer? Did a trailer come out? All I see is an intro video?
Its a trailer with the intro ! :lol
CHECKMATE !

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Fersis said:
This beast of game is releasing so soon and theres no website covering it.

Goddam' SNKP !!! Hey if anyone from SNKPlaymore (Or Atlus,Ignition,Konami... dunno who's the publisher) is reading this : We need to hype this game up!!

Im tweeting every single bit of info i get.
Im trying to keep this thread updated.

Im doing my part ^__^

KOF XII was a turd. Why would websites bother with coverage of KOF XIII until it's actually proven to be a good game? Why would any US publisher bother to work with SNK aymore after they release turd after turd. They will be lucky if anybody throws them a bone for KOF XIII. They may end up having to release it on XBLA/PSN themselves.

CO_Andy

Hwa Jai? Of all the Fatal Fury characters they chose him? He was basically a pallete swapped Joe in the original.

Krauser, Blood Lawrence, Blue Mary... sigh, and the list goes on.

zlatko

Banned
Kintaro said:
KOF XII was a turd. Why would websites bother with coverage of KOF XIII until it's actually proven to be a good game? Why would any US publisher bother to work with SNK aymore after they release turd after turd. They will be lucky if anybody throws them a bone for KOF XIII. They may end up having to release it on XBLA/PSN themselves.

I'm actually all for it being released on XBLA/PSN. No drive across town for me or dealing with Gamestop employees.

All they have to do is get the net code worked out and this game will be a monster. :D

Acosta

The intro looks great!

I'm actually pretty ignorant about Ash's story, I played the last KOFs in Japanese and I missed many details. Worth checking?

All the frames from the opening of the characters still in question.

Personal Speculation:
11r98io.jpg

Hwa Jai (Teeth, headband, wrist bandage, XII source code, appears before Kim & Raiden in intro)

2hhgnqv.jpg

Vice (Red lapel, black jacket, XII source code, appears after Iori and Mature in intro)

2r2rybt.jpg

K' (Zipper, chest, silver hair, web site banner)

118knmg.jpg

Kula (Young face, long hair, jacket detail, appears after presumed K' in intro)

2vjzipy.jpg

Maxima (White jacket collar, sideburns, appear after presumed K' & Kula in intro)

fml62o.jpg

Takuma (Short hair, older face, XII source code)

Screen caps credit: Simsyas from GameFAQs.

CO_Andy said:
Hwa Jai? Of all the Fatal Fury characters they chose him? He was basically a pallete swapped Joe in the original.

Krauser, Blood Lawrence, Blue Mary... sigh, and the list goes on.
Laurence would have been great. I'd love to see him in KoF.

zlatko

Banned
I think Gunloc is right about all of them. Especially the K' one, because there is 100% no way that could be anyone else in that picture. :lol

mr_boo

Gunloc said:

Personal Speculation:
11r98io.jpg

Hwa Jai (Teeth, headband, wrist bandage, XII source code, appears before Kim & Raiden in intro)

2hhgnqv.jpg

Vice (Red lapel, black jacket, XII source code, appears after Iori and Mature in intro)

2r2rybt.jpg

K' (Zipper, chest, silver hair, web site banner)

118knmg.jpg

Kula (Young face, long hair, jacket detail, appears after presumed K' in intro)

2vjzipy.jpg

Maxima (White jacket collar, sideburns, appear after presumed K' & Kula in intro)

fml62o.jpg

I'm amazed with your eagle eyes OR saddened by my color blindness.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
zlatko said:
I'm actually all for it being released on XBLA/PSN. No drive across town for me or dealing with Gamestop employees.

All they have to do is get the net code worked out and this game will be a monster. :D

That would be fine, but given SNKs record, it would just be on XBLA. :lol Also given their record, the online will be poop. Swallow your pride and ask ARC Systems for help with the code or something.

kdash7

Kintaro said:
That would be fine, but given SNKs record, it would just be on XBLA. :lol Also given their record, the online will be poop. Swallow your pride and ask ARC Systems for help with the code or something.

This. Why cant they just freakin understand this point!! If Online = Poop then KofXIII = Bomb (Console).

Just do it SNK :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I do have to say, though, Hwa Jai's supposed picture looks pretty awesome. That's one serious, violent look.

I still wanna see Darker Hair, and believe that's Whip, in the "Kula" pic, but hey, I like them both...

"Maxima" does look like his armor. Can't be too mad about "The Grappler with Rekka's!" making it in, I wonder if Vapor Cannon would "critical wire" the opponents on counter hit? I DO love that wall bounce -> AA grab combo of his.

K' looks like... K'. He's gotta be the clearest of the bunch.

I prefer Marco over Takuma, but if Takuma is all "Screw Ki, I've got REALLY REALLY strong invisible force!" again, then I can deal with that. Especially if this would help Heidern get back into KoF XIV with the return of the Oyagi team. Then replace Saishu with Ryuhaku Todo! :D

I really look forward to seeing how similiar the potential "head swarp" characters are. After XII having nearly all original characters, it'd be a shame to get some heavy clones for the sake of filling out the roster. Won't be too bad if they have highly unique stances, mostly seperate normals, and smart manipulation of the color palettes in order to bring uniqueness to their looks.

SAB CA said:
I still wanna see Darker Hair, and believe that's Whip, in the "Kula" pic, but hey, I like them both...
I'm pretty sure it's Kula.

Look at the detail on the character's outfit here in the white square.
2804ld2.png

Now look at the green detailing on Kula's standard outfit, under her bust line.
acs6ci.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gunloc said:
I'm pretty sure it's Kula.

Look at the detail on the character's outfit here in the white square.
*Mega Image 1*

Now look at the green detailing on Kula's standard outfit, under her bust line.
*MegaCute Image 2*

Shhhh, it's just that Whip has decided that she'd dress like Kula, since they're so friendly, and SNK wanted Whip in a more fanservicey outfit! XD Seriously, though, the long white strands of what look to be hair, at the lower left, do support the Kula theroy. It's just that the darker patches near her head could also be seen as a shorter, darker color haircut (which could STILL be Kula, since her hair is only blueish when using her powers).

I'd just prefer to have Whip paired up with Leona in my fights, rather than Kula. And her long range playstyle would be a nice counter/compliment to Duo Lon. But it'll still be nice to see how great Kula's Anti-k powers are rendered... They could be real showstoppers.

It'd be great if this game is full of a bunch of endings and story art showing re-designs of much of the old cast... that'd be a great way to raise hype for this game, and sequels, to show "Hey, look, we redesigned Eiji! Keep buying KoF, and you'll see this awesome look in future sequels!"

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
atomiswave said:
thats true, you got a team that consists of a wrestler, tkd, and muay thai, which is definitely variety, and quite possibly the most interesting team in my opinion.

the team concept isn't that important since you can edit teams. That said, this post I'm doing will probably be the most worthless post I'll ever do on GAF, I'm just going to fanboy rant.

[FANBOY]

With Rick you would have had kicker, puncher, and wrestler- which is what I wanted. Axel Hawk would have been a funny 2nd option. (A George Foreman clone in a fighting game)
Heavy D would be been awesome as hell, but wouldn't fit. I really think Heavy D! is one of SNK's top 5 designs of all time, though I wish he wasn't all about linking jabs at high level. Makes him feel like a SF4 character.

I was really hoping Kula would get a new outfit, or at least new pants, and a gameplay revamp. I like Kula the character, but I really feel SNK doesn't do her right.

Going into fanboy mode here, but if they made a XIV with eight more chars: here's what I'd do

Ash/Adel/Rose- flesh out ash by giving him a team. A playable Rose I can imagine being REALLY annoying.

Malin/Yamazaki/Oswald- new criminal team. Malin and Oswald are the two new chars who are missing from this game, and they're both awesome. It's wrong that they aren't in this to me.

Vanessa/Seth/Ramon- each gets a new outfit and some modernization. Seth's my favorite of the bunch. Vanessa rivals Kim a bit kicking vs punching, Seth is just one of the most awesome SNK designs, and Ramon is what Fuerte wishes he was.

Billy/Eiji/Rock would be nice also, but I think the above would add more.

[/FANBOY]

[now turns into Sam the Eagle]

Seriously, I have no logical reason to be given SNKP's track record this gen, but this is the most positively hyped I've been on a fighting game in years. Hopefully the arcade release allows retention of hype (SF4 and KOFXII the hype died down a bit after seeing them in arcades). Just about every decision to me for KOF12 gameplay-wise seems like a decision I'd consider good. My big worries about this game right now is the netcode, and whether my hype will make it impossible for this game to reach it.

It's going to be very easy to disappoint me with what I'm expecting now.

AAK

They can still add characters for console release. I remember XI had many console exclusives.

Personally want Eiji, Oswald, and maybe Vanessa.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Augemitbutter said:
i see every fighter mentioned in those pics but takuma.

unsure about the most important one :(

I thought I saw Takuma pretty clearly. It looks it his pic was taken from one of his winquote posts where he's holding his arms above and below him (forget which game had that, think it was 2k2). Kula's also looked like that to me.

Doesn't explain Hwa Jai, but then again nothing could.

I don't think we're getting DLC chars in XIII unless the game is a success (by Blazblue standards) , and they upgrade the arcade. I hope we do, I'm just not expecting it.

Fersis

KOF XIV talk.
DLC talk.

hehe oh you guys!

Ok i want to hype this game, i want to people to know about the true rebirth.
What would you guys recommend to do? Im tweeting a lot about #KOF, ok what else i can do?

Fersis said:
What would you guys recommend to do? Im tweeting a lot about #KOF, ok what else i can do?

bump this thread with anything new as humanly possible without affecting you work?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
KOF XIV talk.
DLC talk.

hehe oh you guys!

Honestly, hype is what you're doing, and all you can do short of buying 100,000 copies yourself when it comes out. I'm trying to get people to give XIII another chance myself. I think locally it will- our area is more pro-SNK then most US areas.

I think SNK needs to have a good game and decent (read: SF4 quality) netcode to have any sort of chance.

The game itself, the drive cancels should make it fun- and allow for goofy combos without overpowering things, so I think the only thing that could trip them up on that end is balance.

I really do see a lot of potential with what SNK is doing, and it's being done in ways that to me, seem smart.

AAK said:
They can still add characters for console release. I remember XI had many console exclusives.

Personally want Eiji, Oswald, and maybe Vanessa.

Was a lot easier then, and they were 90% recycled NGBC sprites with some gameplay adjustments, like taking away Tung's stupid NGBC 40-hit muscleman.

Still salty over those chars being banned competitively- except for Kusanagi who had infinites it made no sense to ban them.

Fersis

:lol
Hehe you got a tag.
Looks like Hitokage's work.

* Looks at own tag *
It was Dragona
;__;

tzare

Fersis said:
KOF XIV talk.
DLC talk.

hehe oh you guys!

you could try to interview someone at SNK and give them feedback and ideas. I'm sure they are aware of fans out there, but just in case XD

Fersis

tzare said:
you could try to interview someone at SNK and give them feedback and ideas. I'm sure they are aware of fans out there, but just in case XD
He.
Last week i sent emails at SNKP America, Ignition,Atlus (Asking if they're going to publish).
No dice.

Finaika

arstal said:
did King have her fwd+B in this? Is Trap Shot safe?

Will try to give some gameplay advice, as I've used all thsoe chars in tournies. This advice may or may not be relevant due to changes.

If so, on corner knockdowns maybe a mixup of grabs, blocking, low B into trap shot or venom strike, and fwd+B can be used. Use crouch C for air defense (if it's still good)

Don't spam Surprise Rose. Spamming supers is as bad in KOF as spamming ultras in SF4.

Athena blocked C arrow was free combo in close, use close D to start?

If you can run under under a jump, low B, low A link (usually easy for msot chars) into a special is a good idea. Takes experience to know when to do it.

vs Ash's big bubble, best counter is to jump it with Mai, then try to dive at his feet. Counterable and punishable if predictable, but blocking it leads to a riskier mixup. You couldn't have punished him for doing it with HCF+K since you had thrown a fireball (he used it right)

If the netcode is like 98UM on XBL, and PSN on top of it, you may not wish for the game Fersis. ^_^ My bet is eventually either XIII replaces 98/02 and this is moot, or PC folks hack the aracde hardware and put GGPO in about 2-3 years.
Don't think King have her fwd+B.

Thanks for the advice. I don't usually play as King though, just trying out the new Women Team :D

Fersis

Hey JGAF ,any chance of translating the new blog post? *v__v*

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
He.
Last week i sent emails at SNKP America, Ignition,Atlus (Asking if they're going to publish).
No dice.

I know Ignition said it would depend on netcode. They weren't going to publish an SNK game with poor netcode.

Konami might be a possibility now with them doing the arcade.

Fersis

arstal said:
I know Ignition said it would depend on netcode. They weren't going to publish an SNK game with poor netcode.

Konami might be a possibility now with them doing the arcade.
Yup i should try Konami America.

But you know gaming websites are the ones with good contacts in the industry (Not the Fersis).

So yeah: If someone with good contacts is reading this, come on guys lets hype this game up!!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
Yup i should try Konami America.

But you know gaming websites are the ones with good contacts in the industry (Not the Fersis).

So yeah: If someone with good contacts is reading this, come on guys lets hype this game up!!

Worst case scenario,I think SNK will PS3 Japan port it themselves, and we can import I'm sure. I'm not too worried. I think this KOF will do well enough in Japanese arcades that someone will pick it up.

vgachi57

Gunloc said:

Personal Speculation:
fml62o.jpg

i'm hoping it's not takuma (since ryo is pretty close) and instead gato, from motw and xi. i thought he was a way more interesting archetype.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ganked from ON, which is back and idiot free now:

SonicTempest said:
Translated today's blog entry on drive cancels and hyperdrive mode:
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2010/04/post_4.html

Q: Tell us about the 'drive cancel.'
A: Drive cancelling is a system where you use up some of the hyperdrive gauge to cancel special moves into special moves or special moves into DMs. You can even use EX special moves and EX DMs.

Q: What sort of situations would you use a drive cancel in?
A: The basic idea is to do more damage by comboing your specials into one another. As for more interesting uses, let's see...you can deliberately use a special move that has some recovery lag, to bait a guard cancel attack from your opponent, but you can cancel the lag from your special move using a drive cancel to beat his guard cancel attack. Alternatively you can cancel your special move into a special move that will let you escape from the guard cancel attack without getting hit.

So you can use it in various situations to create an advantage for yourself.

(ST's note: Certainly sounds a lot like roman cancelling from the GG series)

Q: What's the difference between drive cancelling and hyperdrive mode?
A: A drive cancel is a single cancel, but hyperdrive mode is a mode where you can do as many cancels as you want for a fixed time. Hyperdrive cancels will also let you cancel more types of moves than a regular drive cancel, so you can do different types of combos in hyperdrive mode than you can with a regular drive cancel.

Therefore, drive cancels are something that you might do depending on the situation. Hyperdrive mode is something you use when you want to land a high damage combo.

Q: Looks like fun to go for a high damage combo!
A: Yeah. We think that a lot of the fun of fighting games comes from crushing your opponents with powerful combo attacks, so we're in the process of figuring out how best to let players go on the offensive in the manner that they desire.

Even in terms of graphics, we added the afterimage effect to give the impression of speed and acceleration while doing these cancel combos.

Q: So I guess I should show my skills through coming up with my own combos, eh?
A: I mentioned powerful combos are, but the truth is that these combos vary depending on the opponent character, your distance from the opponent and so on. Practice will help one figure out which combos are best on which opponents and at what distances.

We want to create a system with numerous possibilities where you can say "I can research hyperdrive mode combos and show off my dominance!", so please, do try many different combos.

Of course, don't restrict yourself to just practical combos - we're also happy to see people try out combos that stupefy others with their flashiness!

Q: Finally, please tell us your favourite combo using drive cancels or hyperdrive mode.
A: OK, here's a combo that uses drive cancels.
My recommendation would be to drive cancel Athena's Psycho Sword into her EX Psycho Ball. The EX version of Psycho Ball does multiple hits, so you can make use of the extended stun time to run forward and do followup attacks. It's easy to do, and it's a combo that hasn't been seen in KOF until now.

Q: Eh? That actually connects? Drive cancel and hyperdrive combos definitely seem very deep and entertaining.

Next week, we'll talk about KOF XIII's story. Until then!

Drive cancel stuff sounds a LOT like roman cancels from Arc games, though much easier to do (no hitting multiple buttons requires) I like.

One concern I have is that the combos might end up too good, especially if you get meter too easily, or damage scaling isn't good enough. That said, this won't be anywhere near as hard as FADC's/FRC's, so this should be quite accessible, and I think overall this will end up a good design mechanic.

It's hard for me to find anything to be negative about on this game so far.

Fersis

arstal said:
Ganked from ON, which is back and idiot free now:

Drive cancel stuff sounds a LOT like roman cancels from Arc games, though much easier to do (no hitting multiple buttons requires) I like.

One concern I have is that the combos might end up too good, especially if you get meter too easily, or damage scaling isn't good enough. That said, this won't be anywhere near as hard as FADC's/FRC's, so this should be quite accessible, and I think overall this will end up a good design mechanic.

It's hard for me to find anything to be negative about on this game so far
Why do you look for negative stuff all the time?
Surrender to the hype !

Whats ON by the way?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
Why do you look for negative stuff all the time?
Surrender to the hype !

Whats ON by the way?

Orochinagi.com

I've just been burned so many times by my own hype I'm pessimistic about stuff. It's why I"m always looking for the bad, and am happy when it doesn't come.

Blazblue, SC4, and VF5 were the only games this gen that pleasantly surprised me

SAB CA said:
GGPO + SNKP: Eh... I dunno how much to believe this. But you have to Admit, XIII would be the perfect fit for it.
Speaking of ggpo, I heard it's been shut and the site is down. . . anyone tried it?

Olaeh

The sprites don't zoom in and the speed is much faster. If the netcode is decent I'll definitely buy! I'll probably buy it regardless, but still...

I said I wouldn't be fooled again after XII was sort of a disappointment but I can't help it, my hype level is through the roof for this game.

Top Bottom