• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Jinjo

Cant wait 'till I'm done with work and these deadlines so I can indulge some more in this. I have a question though, I bought the season pass and saw it included a rifle clip capacity upgrade. But when I go to my load-out I see nowhere to select it, is it automatic or something?

I don't have the game myself but I played a bit of the multi at my friend's gaff yesterday and have to say I really enjoyed it! My performance was less than desirable (I was getting destroyed) but I really loved the pacing of the matches, especially when you're the last one left against 4 other players, very tense stuff!

Can't wait to get some money and buy the game myself!

Marleyman

Banned
Finally finished SP last night and went on to some MP afterwards. Wow, I got owned but after some games I got used to things. How do you mark people, btw?

Vitanimus

I'm very wary of online multiplayer in general, but TLOU has me very intrigued. Is it worth jumping in? I usually avoid playing online due to getting nervous over the pressure haha.

Alienous

I'm very wary of online multiplayer in general, but TLOU has me very intrigued. Is it worth jumping in? I usually avoid playing online due to getting nervous over the pressure haha.

The pressure can be immense, especially due to the attached meta game, but it's one of the most tactical online shooters I've played. It isn't about killing. Resource management, healing, teamwork, running when you know you'll lose, hiding, supporting etc. You'll always have a role.

TommyLove

Neo Member
I'm getting quite frustrated trying to get the skull mask for the 4th time now due to host leaving the game and being kicked, which starves and sicken my clan to death. Also, all the random players I've played with don't know how to maximize supplies by drawing and losing rounds on purpose in order to have more rounds to earn more parts. The best method I think is to lose 2 or 3 rounds on purpose just to get free 100 parts from supplie box and just win the game afterwards instead of 4-0ing the team. Drawing the first four or more matches works just as well if you want to win, but you won't get the extra parts I believe.

If anyone that wants to help me out that would be great. My PSN is TOMNG206 and I only play survival mode. Unfortunately, I don't have a mic, but I understand the game pretty well. I'm currently level 43 with a 2.16 KDR. If we're getting dominated somehow, I will try my best with my try hard class :D

Alienous

I'm getting quite frustrated trying to get the skull mask for the 4th time now due to host leaving the game and being kicked, which starves and sicken my clan to death. Also, all the random players I've played with don't know how to maximize supplies by drawing and losing rounds on purpose in order to have more rounds to earn more parts. The best method I think is to lose 2 or 3 rounds on purpose just to get free 100 parts from supplie box and just win the game afterwards instead of 4-0ing the team. Drawing the first four or more matches works just as well if you want to win, but you won't get the extra parts I believe.

If anyone that wants to help me out that would be great. My PSN is TOMNG206 and I only play survival mode. Unfortunately, I don't have a mic, but I understand the game pretty well. I'm currently level 43 with a 2.16 KDR. If we're getting dominated somehow, I will try my best with my try hard class :D

Play Supply Raid. Nobody's going to willingly lose rounds.

TommyLove

Neo Member
I've tried supply raids a few times, but I never have enough supplies to feed my clan while wiping all 10+ of their lives. Survival mode in my opinion is the best way to earn more supplies to feed a huge clan.

Guys I have not read though the thread, however I dunno wtf is going on.

Is there a guide or something.

Whats with the time? Week 1 day x. and Wtf are we suppose to do?

Finished Single Player on Normal and started on Survivor.

TommyLove

Neo Member
Guys I have not read though the thread, however I dunno wtf is going on.

Is there a guide or something.

Whats with the time? Week 1 day x. and Wtf are we suppose to do?

Finished Single Player on Normal and started on Survivor.
In the multiplayer, you have to survive 13 weeks. They will give you some challenges in each week to increase your clan's population by 5%,7% and 10%, while some raids will that can wipe out your clan's population by 60%,40%,20% depending on which tier of challenges you completed. If you don't complete the challenges on the later stages of the attack raids, which is 7-8 weeks mark, they can wipe out 100% of your clan members, which means you'll have to start all over if you want to earn all the customization gear. It is recommended to pick the easiest challenges for the attack raids that can wipe out your entire clan.

You need a certain amount of supplies to feed and to increase your clan's population. To get everything, you need 120 population to get the last hat and to get the skull mask, you need at least 85 population after the 13 weeks. You'll earn supplies from downing the enemies, execution, special execution for extra points, marking enemies, healing, crafting items, etc. To maximize supplies per game is to have a bunch of rounds and to provide a lot of team support. Pray that you don't get drop from host leaving or being kick, which can make your whole clan suffer from sickness and hunger, which will lead to easy death tolls if you can't supply enough for the next day.

ButchCat

Here is a quick tip, for those who are performing poorly in a match and feel that they won't stack up enough supplies or meet the mission requirements to maintain a large clan count simply quit the game to the xmb, that way the game doesn't punish you for leaving a match. This I found especially useful in the later weeks.

I've just started the multiplayer over the weekend and am currently on Week 2 Day 4. I still don't properly understand how survivors get sick or hungry yet, but I barely just got the required amount of supplies on the last match I played.
I'm really enjoying it though, it's reminding me of MGO 2 slightly, or what that could have been if everyone didn't play every mode as a TDM on that.

In the multiplayer, you have to survive 13 weeks. They will give you some challenges in each week to increase your clan's population by 5%,7% and 10%, while some raids will that can wipe out your clan's population by 60%,40%,20% depending on which tier of challenges you completed. If you don't complete the challenges on the later stages of the attack raids, which is 7-8 weeks mark, they can wipe out 100% of your clan members, which means you'll have to start all over if you want to earn all the customization gear. It is recommended to pick the easiest challenges for the attack raids that can wipe out your entire clan.

You need a certain amount of supplies to feed and to increase your clan's population. To get everything, you need 120 population to get the last hat and to get the skull mask, you need at least 85 population after the 13 weeks. You'll earn supplies from downing the enemies, execution, special execution for extra points, marking enemies, healing, crafting items, etc. To maximize supplies per game is to have a bunch of rounds and to provide a lot of team support. Pray that you don't get drop from host leaving or being kick, which can make your whole clan suffer from sickness and hunger, which will lead to easy death tolls if you can't supply enough for the next day.

thanks!

maomaoIYP

Ok, I asked my brother. He's now 6th on the clan leaderboards (or was last time I checked), and uses...

- Revolver
- Nothing
-Collector 2
- First Aid Training 3
- Reviver 1
- Marathon Runner 1

The trick is to revive and heal the shit out of your team mates!!! Healing using the X button racks up a ton of points over time.

You should also be marking enemies, picking up weapon boxes, getting headshots, crafting items, and so on. It really helps that he's good at getting downs and special executions, as these give good payouts, but the initial heal/revive tip should get you on your way.

At his best he got 7900 parts while playing solo. When playing in a party he seems to be averaging about 6000, all using the same method.

Wow that is amazing. I just tried doing collector 2 with first aid training 3, and I scored my 1st 6000+ game, it was incredible. However it was the last day of my 12 weeks and I only managed 82, missed the skull mask by three.

andycapps

This is some of my favorite multiplayer this gen. It's so different than what I'm used to. Survival is my favorite, by far. Glad some Gaffers talked me into it. I only do Supply Raid when I'm playing with randoms.

Tagg9

So who votes to kick you? I got kicked last night(first night playing MP) I guess for being a new player and/or sucking.

I believe you can only be kicked if you repeatedly attack your team mates (eg. with nail bombs). Otherwise, it's just a connection error.

Doomshine

Just started this for the first time. Is the hunting rifle as bad as I think it is? I usually like rifles but it just takes way too long to kill with it compared to other weapons and leaves you really vulnerable after a shot. Maybe I'm missing something,

Anyway, it was fun as long as the matches were even. Not sure how much a higher level helps but some players just seemed to be able to take incredible amounts of damage and obliterated my team.

Just started this for the first time. Is the hunting rifle as bad as I think it is? I usually like rifles but it just takes way too long to kill with it compared to other weapons and leaves you really vulnerable after a shot. Maybe I'm missing something,

Anyway, it was fun as long as the matches were even. Not sure how much a higher level helps but some players just seemed to be able to take incredible amounts of damage and obliterated my team.

Treat it like a Bolt Action Sniper Rifle. Use long distances and higher ground when possible. If shooting at a target unaware of you, try for the headshot to down them quickly. It's a pretty powerful weapon and I've done pretty well with it personally.

Cant wait 'till I'm done with work and these deadlines so I can indulge some more in this. I have a question though, I bought the season pass and saw it included a rifle clip capacity upgrade. But when I go to my load-out I see nowhere to select it, is it automatic or something?

I was under the impression that the season pass bonuses are for SP. This is the description in the webstore:

By downloading today, you’ll also get four bonus single player upgrades, exclusive to Season Pass holders:

• Increased crafting speed.
• Increased healing speed.
• Rifle clip capacity upgrade.
• 9mm reload speed upgrade.

There are no unlocked loadout skills that make the higher level players able to take more damage. Maybe they were wearing armor? You can buy that during a match if you have 450 parts.

Raxus

No. In fact it can be quite annoying. Unlike the other starting weapons it can take people down with one shot to the head. Great for dam and lakeside.

As far as higher level people go they do have an inate advantage of having more skills and points but nothing tops team work in this game. Sticking together and reviving teammates goes a long way. Most of the advanced powers are in the preset loadouts too if you want to give them a spin before unlocking them.

Alienous

I want a way to opt out of the metagame once I'm done getting all of the unlocks. It's limiting the ways I can play, and I don't want to ignore it completely.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It's amazing how often my team loses based on how many people have mics. 80% of the time I'm the only dude with a mic in the room. god damn

When the other team has 2 or more people with mics we get run over. Like fucking clockwork.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
RAGE INDUCING MOMENT!!!! I hate this game sometimes! Got disconnected from my first two matches while trying to do the friggin missions Hunters attack 100% population risk, on the last day 3/3 I thought I'd do minimum but couldn't get 10 gifts in one match to give to people, was so friggin close though and I asked everyone in my team to not kill the guy for just 15 seconds but they ignored and now I am back to week 1. If only I hadn't gotten disconnected from the first two matches, I was so close too week 12 day 3... Ugh, think I'm done for a while! :'( :'(

I hope they release new modes and/or game types. I really like being stealth, so maybe a "hardcore" mode with no listen mode, limited HUD, etc

LogicStep

I didn't even know this had a MP component. I just put the disc in and off the the campaign. I'll try it out once I finish the game.

Wow that is amazing. I just tried doing collector 2 with first aid training 3, and I scored my 1st 6000+ game, it was incredible. However it was the last day of my 12 weeks and I only managed 82, missed the skull mask by three.

Nice work, I'm glad it helped. Just apply the same method next time and you'll easily make your parts quota as well as having a pretty sizeable clan by the end.
Also, save your healing challenges for week 12 when the Firefly's/Hunters attack. As you've seen, it's ridiculously easy to complete.

I want a way to opt out of the metagame once I'm done getting all of the unlocks. It's limiting the ways I can play, and I don't want to ignore it completely.

I agree. I'm getting towards the end of my hunter play through and it's become a shit show with fire fly attacks, disconnections, and joining games and being down and put. I liked the meta game in the beginning but now it's distracting.

Didn't bother to play the multiplayer at all till today, but for some reason It won't let me get into a game, I get "cannot connect to ticket server" I can't seem to find a workaround, already deleted the game data but didn't see to help. Anyone else had this problem or know a work around?

Kikarian

Ok, I asked my brother. He's now 6th on the clan leaderboards (or was last time I checked), and uses...

- Revolver
- Nothing
-Collector 2
- First Aid Training 3
- Reviver 1
- Marathon Runner 1

The trick is to revive and heal the shit out of your team mates!!! Healing using the X button racks up a ton of points over time.

You should also be marking enemies, picking up weapon boxes, getting headshots, crafting items, and so on. It really helps that he's good at getting downs and special executions, as these give good payouts, but the initial heal/revive tip should get you on your way.

At his best he got 7900 parts while playing solo. When playing in a party he seems to be averaging about 6000, all using the same method.
I've just created the same loadout.

I've been healing/reviving people constantly. It really is a great way too gain parts.

Is there a points bonus for

a) Winning
b) Being alive at the end of a round

?
I don't think there is for winning.

But for being the last alive you get 'bonus parts awarded'.

Didn't bother to play the multiplayer at all till today, but for some reason It won't let me get into a game, I get "cannot connect to ticket server" I can't seem to find a workaround, already deleted the game data but didn't see to help. Anyone else had this problem or know a work around?
A quick google search and I found this thread on the official forums: Cant connect to ticket server. They think it's due to the PSN maintenance today.

Top Bottom