• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Alienous

I agree. I'm getting towards the end of my hunter play through and it's become a shit show with fire fly attacks, disconnections, and joining games and being down and put. I liked the meta game in the beginning but now it's distracting.

It really hit me when I was playing a match with randoms. Every person I downed, I would hear a teammate on the mic saying, to another teammate, "Danny, quickly get the special execution before he gets it" (he meaning me). So, naturally, I begin to race him to the special executions. Near the end of the match I hear the guy with the mic say "Ah, damn, Danny, it doesn't look like you'll be able to save your clan, you still need a couple of special executions. There's no chance now" and my heart sank. This is the brutality that players are experiencing in many of their matches, and it changes the way they play entirely.

The multiplayer is actually pretty fun from what I've played, but it's a shame there aren't more modes. I'd love for some more objective-based modes and especially co-op.

Also, the fact that there is no host migration is incredibly disappointing and frustrating if you are even remotely into the metagame aspect of it. Seems weird they didn't have this in the MP considering both Uncharted 2 and 3 had host migration. *shrug*

It really hit me when I was playing a match with randoms. Every person I downed, I would hear a teammate on the mic saying, to another teammate, "Danny, quickly get the special execution before he gets it" (he meaning me). So, naturally, I begin to race him to the special executions. Near the end of the match I hear the guy with the mic say "Ah, damn, Danny, it doesn't look like you'll be able to save your clan, you still need a couple of special executions. There's no chance now" and my heart sank. This is the brutality that players are experiencing in many of their

That sounds horrible. I usually just pick the spotting, healing, and sometimes reviving missions. I focus on those things anyway.

On a side note I giggle like a school girl everytime someone trips over one of my bombs at a supply box.

The multiplayer is actually pretty fun from what I've played, but it's a shame there aren't more modes. I'd love for some more objective-based modes and especially co-op.

Also, the fact that there is no host migration is incredibly disappointing and frustrating if you are even remotely into the metagame aspect of it. Seems weird they didn't have this in the MP considering both Uncharted 2 and 3 had host migration. *shrug*

Yeah. Here is to hoping the support the MP mode constantly.

TommyLove

Neo Member
Is there a points bonus for

a) Winning
b) Being alive at the end of a round

?
NaughtyDogs should definitely give bonus parts for winning or 4-0ing the whole rounds.

You get about 200 bonus parts for being the last one alive and make sure you go to the supply box because you will get ALL THE GOOD STUFF to take down all your enemies if you're outnumber.

Didly

Banned
Someone who knows how should make a new google doc but only make it viewable by quoting.

edit:

Didly can you revert back to a non-messed up version or no?

I joined a bit late so I cannot, but I've organized it and created a new one and will manually put names in that I see in this thread.

I'll do most of this when I get home later today. And maybe I'll start a thread surrounding it a bit later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Edit: If you guys can be civil for long enough, here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avc4k2dmSL5mdENNZWdSVjNYZ2l1a04wLTlZOHBQamc&usp=sharing

Hopefully, we can get people to add to the list in an organized fashion. Once I add the people from the past 21 pages - feel free to help lol, I'll curate it personally so people can't delete it...

J-P

Neo Member
It seems I'm the only one who totally ignores the meta game and just plays for fun and to win. Oh well everyone plays their own way. Please add me as I'd rather play with you guys than with randoms. I play mostly at night and heavily on late Friday night through the early am.

PSN: MASOCHIST187

No mic

Team player, I like to mark and snipe.

AngryMoth

Ok just experienced my first 'lost connection to host' which I'm pretty sure was a rage quit and yeah it's fucking bullshit. Fix this please ND. 100% of my population at risk as well right now

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So I did a bit of 'experimenting', and it seems that you only get punished for disconnects when they are not of your own making.

I get kicked > Clan ruined.
Host leaves > Clan ruined.
Cut off my own connection > Clan is fine, mission stats are as if nothing happened.

So, yeah. That's a bit backwards, isn't it? Has ND commented on this yet?

Didly

Banned
IN ORDER TO VIEW THE LINK, "QUOTE" ME. IT WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR REPLY BOX BETWEEN THE EMAIL TAGS.

The Official NeoGAF TLOU MP List is here.

I've saved a copy. Right now, anyone can edit it. We'll see how long it can stay in one cohesive piece.

If it get's deleted, I'm taking away global editing access and will simply add PSN tags when I see them here.

Also, I might start a thread just so we can get more people! So keep a look out.

--

Edit: Sorry, didn't know about the members-only email trick until now. Truthfully, it may be too complicated for some so I might just go back to the public list.

So I did a bit of 'experimenting', and it seems that you only get punished for disconnects when they are not of your own making.

Cut off my own connection > Clan is fine, mission stats are as if nothing happened.

I'd say you should close session from XMB as soon as you see that the screen goes black and wants to bring yo back to the online menu saying you lost connection. It wont transfer the data. I did it once: it said that i had hungry and sick people, i think i closed the game with the xmb prompt and it didn't save. So i'm assuming logging off psn won't save it either :)

They really need to fix the problem when a host leaves a match you get a 0 on your progress for that day. I just got to week 6 and im risking %100 of my population and the first 2 matches the host quits, leaving me with 1 day left to do everything if the host stays the game.

Mik_Pad

Banned

It doesn't help that people are boosting trophies by disconnecting hampering the experience for everyone. That's the main reason why MP trophies shouldn't exist.

It doesn't help that people are boosting trophies by disconnecting hampering the experience for everyone. That's the main reason why MP trophies shouldn't exist.

Boosting isn't even necessary for the trophies though. As long as you have even 1 person left in your clan after 12 weeks, you get the trophy. I think they're more likely doing it for the Leaderboards. Which shouldn't exist either since the top scores are nearly always hacked anyways.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Official NeoGAF TLOU MP List is here.

I've saved a copy. Right now, anyone can edit it. We'll see how long it can stay in one cohesive piece.

If it get's deleted, I'm taking away global editing access and will simply add PSN tags when I see them here.

Also, I might start a thread just so we can get more people! So keep a look out.
There is a way to hide the link by quoting so only members can access it but I'm not informed how to apply it, maybe a fellow GAFfer wants to help.

Well the link is out in the world already but the way to hide links/codes/whatever is to put them in the Email tags I believe. Then people have to quote to reveal.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ok, I asked my brother. He's now 6th on the clan leaderboards (or was last time I checked), and uses...

- Revolver
- Nothing
-Collector 2
- First Aid Training 3
- Reviver 1
- Marathon Runner 1

The trick is to revive and heal the shit out of your team mates!!! Healing using the X button racks up a ton of points over time.

You should also be marking enemies, picking up weapon boxes, getting headshots, crafting items, and so on. It really helps that he's good at getting downs and special executions, as these give good payouts, but the initial heal/revive tip should get you on your way.

At his best he got 7900 parts while playing solo. When playing in a party he seems to be averaging about 6000, all using the same method.

Good lord this shit is good. Last two games have both been over 6200 parts easily. Just finished my 12th week with 96 survivors so I got all the unlocks too.

That's really stupid. You would have thought ND learned from the whole Uncharted 3 quitting fiasco (which they finally fixed). Not having host migration in a game like this is just incredibly silly in general.

Anyone playing RIGHT NOW?

Caemgen
Mic: Yes
English/Dutch

That's really stupid. You would have thought ND learned from the whole Uncharted 3 quitting fiasco (which they finally fixed). Not having host migration in a game like this is just incredibly silly in general.

But there IS migration...

At the end of a game your parts get converted to those ration things I think (whatever they're called). Do you lose parts if you buy something during the game (ie armor and ammo)?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Boosting isn't even necessary for the trophies though. As long as you have even 1 person left in your clan after 12 weeks, you get the trophy. I think they're more likely doing it for the Leaderboards. Which shouldn't exist either since the top scores are nearly always hacked anyways.

It isn't necessary but it can prevent a 100% threat to wipe out your clan by disconnecting.

At the end of a game your parts get converted to those ration things I think (whatever they're called). Do you lose parts if you buy something during the game (ie armor and ammo)?

The blue cans represent "Supplies" and no you don't lose them. Your ending part balance is the combined amount you've received during the game regardless of what you spend.

nib95

Banned

--

Edit: Sorry, didn't know about the members-only email trick until now. Truthfully, it may be too complicated for some so I might just go back to the public list.

Awesome. Quite a few players.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I'll leave my info if anyone wants to add me, my english isn't perfect so usually I am a little quiet. If you add me just let me know you are from GAF.

PSN ID: mik_pad
Mic: Yes
Central America
English/Spanish

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Also, just for the fun of it, from best to worst;

Lakeside
University
Bill's Town
Dam
Checkpoint
High School
Downtown

Downtown being pretty far below the others and Lakeside and University being top tier.

Alienous

IN ORDER TO VIEW THE LINK, "QUOTE" ME. IT WILL SHOW UP IN YOUR REPLY BOX BETWEEN THE EMAIL TAGS.

--

Awesome, I just updated my listing.

I'll use a mic as long as those on the other end can bare listening to my voice.

Now we need to start setting in motion a GAF tournament...

Jarek23

Banned
The more I play this, the more I'm starting to realize that as I'm no longer a new player, I absolutely hate playing with or against the majority of new players.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Added my PSN to the google doc
PSN: Danny-kun
Add me and we might play sometime.
I have a mic and I try my best to help out.

Pancho

Qurupancho

Lakeside
University
Bill's Town
Dam
Checkpoint
High School
Downtown

Downtown being pretty far below the others and Lakeside and University being top tier.

So I guess Downtown is universally hated xD
Mine is
High School
University
Bill's Town
Dam
Checkpoint
Lakeside

Downtown

Mik_Pad

Banned

Lakeside
University
Bill's Town
Dam
Checkpoint
High School
Downtown

The only one I haven't tried is Downtown but I certainly approve of the rest.

8byte

Banned
Here is a quick tip, for those who are performing poorly in a match and feel that they won't stack up enough supplies or meet the mission requirements to maintain a large clan count simply quit the game to the xmb, that way the game doesn't punish you for leaving a match. This I found especially useful in the later weeks.

This is crappy though, you basically leave your team hanging without a player. If you're dgoing poorly...keep playing and get better? These workarounds ruin the game, and are poor practice. Stop doing it, please.

Mik_Pad

Banned
This is crappy though, you basically leave your team hanging without a player. If you're dgoing poorly...keep playing and get better? These workarounds ruin the game, and are poor practice. Stop doing it, please.
This is exactly what I was complaining earlier, boosting affects the enjoyment of other people specially in a game like this.

Pancho

Qurupancho
They need to nerf the armor a bit or at least make it unresistant to Molotovs. I hit a guy with a molotov once, only to see his armor fall off and shrug off the molotov completely. How can armor protect you against fire? Unless it has some sort of fire retardant.

RyanDG

They need to nerf the armor a bit or at least make it unresistant to Molotovs. I hit a guy with a molotov once, only to see his armor fall off and shrug off the molotov completely. How can armor protect you against fire? Unless it has some sort of fire retardant.

I'm pretty sure I've one hit killed guys in armor with molotovs before. Is it possible his armor got shrugged off by a bullet hit and the molotov missed (barely?). I know the hit detection on molotovs can be a bit wonky at times.

Leeness

It's definitely not your normal multiplayer game. I wish I had more time to play it, because it seems the more you invest in it the more you get in return.

I actually never play multi (my Internet is super spotty) but I had to play this one because I love the game so much. So hopefully I'll get better haha. Otherwise people are gonna be all "oh man, Leeness is trying to play, everyone sign off :/".

Haha

Top Bottom