• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

The metagame can be pretty addictive. Lost my whole clan and starting from the bottom. It's motivating to see such a small population and wanting to improve it.

It's too bad LoU MP is so experimental though. I definitely want more. UC3 MP was junk, I hope ND realizes that what makes this game so good is the challenge and simplicity (like UC2).

I would love a sequel where the metagame is truly fleshed out. Using resources to buy food, medicine, and weapons, having them war off against other clans from your friends/players fought against (select an enemy in matchmaking to attack for resources, etc).

Making an actual little map in 3D that you can walk and explore, full of your clan members, or something text based like in Valkyria Chronicles. It could be a nice little simulation.

Man, I can't believe how overlooked this MP is. I wish it got more attention, I wonder what the numbers are like...

Thanks. This will help me.

He follows the same tactic a lot of people are adopting. Revolver at medium/close, rifle at long, one hit melee and move fast. Also, communication helps.

Edit: And tag your targets. No one does this.

Double edit: He also makes sure to collect the supplies people drop when killed. I've noticed some people ignore them.

Namja is actually not that great at TLoU (at least wasn't when I was watching him play a few days ago) but he's a great CoD player. I know he's a Socom head though so it may have just been him adjusting back to 3PS from FPS.

Finally my Redbox says it has the game and bam

Sorry, this Redbox location isn't taking reservations at the moment. Browse through the games at another Redbox location.

WTF I won't have a chance to buy the game for a while...

The metagame can be pretty addictive. Lost my whole clan and starting from the bottom. It's motivating to see such a small population and wanting to improve it.

It's too bad LoU MP is so experimental though. I definitely want more. UC3 MP was junk, I hope ND realizes that what makes this game so good is the challenge and simplicity (like UC2).

I would love a sequel where the metagame is truly fleshed out. Using resources to buy food, medicine, and weapons, having them war off against other clans from your friends/players fought against (select an enemy in matchmaking to attack for resources, etc).

Making an actual little map in 3D that you can walk and explore, full of your clan members, or something text based like in Valkyria Chronicles. It could be a nice little simulation.

Man, I can't believe how overlooked this MP is. I wish it got more attention, I wonder what the numbers are like...

I think the numbers are pretty good, if the global leaderboards are any indication.

Also: Yes. The MP is amazing. Simple, but challenging and FUN. Really intense and rewarding. Great team play. Exactly what I loved about Gears of War. And then they started messing with the formula in Gears 2. :(

ShogunX

Why do developers feel the need to uneven the playing field with shitty decisions like putting armour on fucking demand? Seems to be happening a lot in multiplayer games where developers feel the need to implement a shitty feature for no reason at all.

I actually feel bad putting the stuff on and then rushing at people with a custom made spike bat.....such a shitty nooby tactic but whatever gets the job done.

The simpler and more pure the better.

Why do developers feel the need to uneven the playing field with shitty decisions like putting armour on fucking demand? Seems to be happening a lot in multiplayer games where developers feel the need to implement a shitty feature for no reason at all.

I actually feel bad putting the stuff on and then rushing at people with a custom made spike bat.....such a shitty nooby tactic but whatever gets the job done.

The simpler and more pure the better.

You could try playing Survivors.

destrudo

Does anyone else find people complaining about kill stealing a lot in this game? There are times where me and a team mate are both shooting at a guy, and if I happen to be the one who executes him then apparently I'm a dirty kill stealer. I seem to get in these situations a lot where people are bitching at me on the mic, and yet I've had plenty of people take my executions and I don't think I ever felt inclined to say anything about it.

Then there's the people who complain about not reviving them when they're out in the open and you're being pinned down by the whole other team.

Edit: Does anyone have any tips for getting a lot of parts/resources? I can generally get about 4k a match, but it never seems to be enough keep my population up to unlock everything. Right now I'm doing the medic/reviver/crafter with revolver class, and even though I'm constantly getting points I can never break 5k.

Sajjaja

Does anyone else find people complaining about kill stealing a lot in this game? There are times where me and a team mate are both shooting at a guy, and if I happen to be the one who executes him then apparently I'm a dirty kill stealer. I seem to get in these situations a lot where people are bitching at me on the mic, and yet I've had plenty of people take my executions and I don't think I ever felt inclined to say anything about it.

Then there's the people who complain about not reviving them when they're out in the open and you're being pinned down by the whole other team.

Edit: Does anyone have any tips for getting a lot of parts/resources? I can generally get about 4k a match, but it never seems to be enough keep my population up to unlock everything. Right now I'm doing the medic/reviver/crafter with revolver class, and even though I'm constantly getting points I can never break 5k.

The collector perk gives you 10% more parts on level 1, and 20% more on level 2.

I don't really experience bitching about KSing, but more so about how other people are "hacking," when the person who died says "OMG HOW DID I MISS THAT? HE SHOT 1 SHOT ME FROM 124235632462 MILLION FEET! HAX!" when they just run away from the team...

Qwell

Going to be playing for about an hour or so until the wife gets home if anyone is interested.

PSN: Qwell
Mic: of course

and I won't bail after one game this time, sorry about last night

i don't get complaints and i wouldn't give any either. in fact i welcome it. i hate seeing a guy i couldn't quite finish off getting revived/healed.

Neiteio

I'm thinking about giving multiplayer a whirl today or tomorrow. Any tips? Like which mode should I try first? What customization options should I use? What should I know as far as basic mechanics are concerned?

Survivors is my preferred game type. Last guy will always get rushed with armour and then punched to death or hit with a bat.

I just dont see why armour is on the game. It's an unneeded perk.

I don't mind armour. Game would be too easy to kill otherwise IMO. It may piss people off that a sniper rifle headshot would take two kills, but I think that's part of the charm of struggling for your kills, chipping away at the enemy, and using tactics. There are times where I get confident with armour, get blasted, and scamper away as fast as I can with my armour shelling gone down the drain. The enemy lets me go (since they are too cautious of chasing me into an ambush), and they decide to finish me off later.

Also, armour gets more expensive the more times you buy it. There seem to be some strategies of getting more Parts that I'm not fond of though, and I think they contribute to the frustration of mid-combat armour more. The one-use booster that grants you more Parts + the booster seem to be too godly of a combination to constantly ensure armour. I don't know if the armour price hike combats that tactic, but I hope it syncs well. Somebody has to test it.

I think the other side of this is that sure, you could buy armour, but I could use those Parts to buy myself a shotgun or Assault Rifle, which would make mincemeat out of your armour/health.

I do think, however, that armour should have an install time, like health, to combat mid-combat easiness of donning armour.

I was playing a Survivor round where I was able to repurchase armour and finish off a guy in a 1v1, since I killed two of his other teammates.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Played this last night and had a blast. Nice change of pace to the run and gun of most online shooters. Having shitty teammates could be rage inducing though.

nib95

Banned
Fuck yea! After you guys told me about the Bow pre-set load out, I used it and got my 9/9 bow kills mission in one game! Only had a day (game) to do it which makes it better!

This is going to sound really stupid but the in game store font looks so much like the rest of options, I had no idea how to buy armor or weapons. I assumed we only had the first two options (ammo; weapon upgrade) that are shown in store that could be bought.
Boy did I feel stupid when I went into the store and pressed down on the d-pad to find out there are other things that I could buy.

So, I don't know how I feel about the Mercenary playlist.

I do think some people will quit this game out of lack of teamwork and frustration. It's a shame, because this game requires more effort to enjoy, but the game IS rewarding.

I think maybe having a tutorial of some sort would have been as helpful. I was able to best a team with mics in Survivor with my team of randoms, so it's not impossible, and you know what? We all stuck together and had each other's backs. It seems all some newbies need is a good guide... or maybe some decent matchmaking.

I worry the community will be too split up with Mercenary playlists, and it kills my hope for a brand new playlist with a new mode.

ThisOne

So, I don't know how I feel about the Mercenary playlist.

I do think some people will quit this game out of lack of teamwork and frustration. It's a shame, because this game requires more effort to enjoy, but the game IS rewarding.

I think maybe having a tutorial of some sort would have been as helpful. I was able to best a team with mics in Survivor with my team of randoms, so it's not impossible, and you know what? We all stuck together and had each other's backs. It seems all some newbies need is a good guide... or maybe some decent matchmaking.

I worry the community will be too split up with Mercenary playlists, and it kills my hope for a brand new playlist with a new mode.

Did they announce a Mercenary playlist or are you just speculating? I, for one, would like to see a Mercenary playlist. Tired of getting dominated by level parties. They could also stand to improve the matchmaking in general. What's up with a team of level 0, 1, 4, and 9 going up against four level 15+ ???

Did they announce a Mercenary playlist or are you just speculating? I, for one, would like to see a Mercenary playlist. Tired of getting dominated by level parties. They could also stand to improve the matchmaking in general. What's up with a team of level 0, 1, 4, and 9 going up against four level 15+ ???

Mercenaries is confirmed. I wouldn't mind it, if I wasn't so worried about splitting the community

RyanDG

I don't mind armor too much overall, but generally, I do think it should take parts to build that you have to scavenge for rather than just be given to you based on points. I also think that there should be an ammo upgrade for armor piercing bullets.

So instead of adding something new and exciting, they add yet another variant of the other two modes? *shakes head*

Hey ND, instead of adding more deathmatch variants, add something objective-based or even co-op, will ya?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the multiplayer, but I'm already getting a little bored of the same two game types.

Mik_Pad

Banned
So instead of adding something new and exciting, they add yet another variant of the other two modes? *shakes head*

Hey ND, instead of adding more deathmatch variants, add something objective-based or even co-op, will ya?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the multiplayer, but I'm already getting a little bored of the same two game types.

Mercenaries is confirmed. I wouldn't mind it, if I wasn't so worried about splitting the community
Is it mercenaries like in RE or what?

Mik_Pad

Banned
I think it's just a mode where you can't join a game as a party with friends. Everyone is joining the game on their own so you won't have parties of four people just rolling over scrub randoms.

I'm pretty sure it's just taking the modes we have now, making them solo-only affairs (no parties allowed), and making them a separate playlist. It doesn't seem necessarily to me.
I got excited for a moment, well that's good news for the people that play with randoms.

^ That's exactly what it is

I've been thinking of something objective based like Search and Destroy, but I just don't think the map size/design suits for something like that. I also think a generic mode like CTF with infinite spawns wouldn't suit the game. I think the whole concept of having rounds/limited lives makes the game what it is...

Which is why I think another variation of deathmatch can be fun.

Something like Multi-man VIP, where one person on each side is marked...basically, this person is tasked with collecting a designated number of resources/has his own special mission. He should have 3x armour, but is limited (no weapons, or just a pistol). His teammates must protect him. You can spawn an infinite number of times. But if your VIP dies, you are in sudden death mode. Your remaining teammates must then kill the enemy's VIP to force the enemy into sudden death, while the enemy could either finish the objective (which is the VIP's job), or eliminate the remaining players.

Thoughts?

ThisOne

Something like Multi-man VIP, where one person on each side is marked...basically, this person is tasked with collecting a designated number of resources/has his own special mission. He should have 3x armour, but is limited (no weapons, or just a pistol). His teammates must protect him. You can spawn an infinite number of times. But if your VIP dies, you are in sudden death mode. Your remaining teammates must then kill the enemy's VIP to force the enemy into sudden death, while the enemy could either finish the objective (which is the VIP's job), or eliminate the remaining players.

Thoughts?

Sounds like it could be fun. I think a multi-team mode might be fun too. Say three teams of 3 or four teams of 2.

Thoughts?

That would actually be pretty interesting/fun.

Hmm, I think a variant of something like Plunder from Uncharted could be entertaining as well. Just make it a package of supplies that spawn in certain areas of the maps and you have to score 5 to win. It would kind of fit in with the world (getting supplies is crucial). While a mode like Turf War (from Uncharted) probably wouldn't make sense in the narrative of the game, I still think something like that would be pretty fun.

Of course, what I really want is a co-op mode with 2-3 players vs clickers/runners/
bloaters

ShogunX

I don't mind armour. Game would be too easy to kill otherwise IMO.

Sorry to only quote this part of your post but this is the whole point. I appreciate games where everybody is on a level playing field and knows what exactly is expected of them. Having low health is perfect for the risk/reward gameplay (especially seeing as the game has health packs) and regen health perks) the title very much promotes.

Flanking a team camping in a building only to find them all decked out in magical appearing armour is a bit disheartening considering you have such limited ammo. Of course there is a chance you can take them all out by having a bomb or something else but that really isn't the point.

I like that the game has in game crafting but I dont know why things like armour and bullets aren't incorporated into this mechanic and even gun upgrades - The more you loot the more powerful you become. Something like that would be a lot more interesting as it would encourage people to move around the map more and make the loot boxes worth fighting for.

Tagg9

Ugh, I had like 6000 points and the host disconnected on the last round. I just lost half my population and the other half is sick. So annoying.

Eleuin

Just got 121 supplies in one game of survivors, was only using covert training 2 and 2 silenced weapons.

Thanks for the invite Nibs but I was in game.

vilmer_

Ugh, I had like 6000 points and the host disconnected on the last round. I just lost half my population and the other half is sick. So annoying.

Something really needs to be done about this. And matchmaking, the high level and experienced players just roll people. All you see is the other team leaving in droves. What if it's the first couple times a person fires up multiplayer? A bad taste in their mouth such as this in a lot of cases could deter them from ever wanting to play mp again. But then again I think we're at a point where a large portion of people jumping into multiplayer think they can just rush in and mow people down.

Also, armor is fine and all but give something that can circumvent it as an upgrade in some way ala armor piercing bullets.

So, just a thought: It's very easy for a winning team to widen their winning gap. There's a good mechanic where the supplies for the winning team dwindle while that of the losing team greaten. But I worry still, that the winning team can dominate with two very easy rewards that should be tweaked to:

a) Enhance realism

b) Give a fair shot to a losing team

Winning teams gain Parts a lot. Especially with the right loadout. This isn't necessarily a problem, however, I do find that a winning team can have a really easy time stacking armour as a result.

I've played a few games where I've lost my armour, only to pop it back on almost instantly behind cover. I don't think this is all that fair, but I do think that the fact that Armour gets more expensive the more times you buy it is a good tradeoff.

Still, if a team is making enough parts, they can lose armour, and then instantly rebuy it.

1) Make armour require "installation" like health. It should take 1.5x-2x as long to put armour than use a health kit

The second point I want to make is in regards to picking up ammo after killing an enemy.

I'm fairly certain that killin g enemy enemy rewards you with ammo.

2) Ammo pickups should only be rewarded if the enemy was using the same gun (and thereby ammo) as you.

This is important because a steady supply of ammo by killing enemies will constantly ensure a player never runs out of ammo; this means they don't have to purchase ammo, allowing them to stock up for the bigger purchasables like armour and power weapons. This would also make the cheaper ammo one-use booster more effective; at this point, it's useless since you can get ammo easily through kills, and supply crates.

These issues are more common in Supply Raid, where a winning team can have a chokehold on the enemy by constantly getting insta-armour, and having a constant stream of ammo via kills/assists. I also think a good high-level strategy is to farm Parts via Part-enhancing boosters, which can contribute to the gap.

Making Armour require an install time in mid-game combat, and dropping ammo only when the ammo matches what the enemy was using can help reduce the large gap winners seem to sometimes run off with

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Thoughts?

I like this. A "VIP" would make sense in the game world as well (i.e. someone like Ellie).

It could make for some great mind games. One team is all huddled round the VIP in a traditional way, while the other has made a "dummy" formation while letting their VIP sneak carefully around the map collecting supplies. It would be super tense for the VIP himself, watching both sides in a stalemate and having to stay perfectly hidden from any stragglers on the opposing team.

You could even make the VIP super weak (no armour, only a pistol), but super sneaky (can't be heard at all while crouch walking); or even give players the choice of a tank/ghost VIP.

Sorian

Banned
I think a lot of the armor complaints would disappear if it was only purchasable from the respawn menu. It can be frustrating when someone can just duck behind cover and put on more armor when they just lost their first set. It would make more sense if you could only spawn in with it (and it is permanently lost when you die, sucks that someoe shivved you and you were in a full set, they beat you like a rug and you deserve the parts lost).

They need to nerf the armor a bit or at least make it unresistant to Molotovs. I hit a guy with a molotov once, only to see his armor fall off and shrug off the molotov completely. How can armor protect you against fire? Unless it has some sort of fire retardant.

Armor does not save you from a Molotov. Ive been killed quite a few times with a Molotov while wearing armor. It must of not been a direct hit. Ive survived Molotovs without armor when it barely hits me.

I've just created the same loadout.

I've been reviving people constantly. It really is a great way too gain parts.

I don't think there is for winning.

Good lord this shit is good. Last two games have both been over 6200 parts easily. Just finished my 12th week with 96 survivors so I got all the unlocks too.

Quoted for truth. My bro, Ryu, doesn't have a Gaf account, but he says you're welcome, or something to that effect.
"We have enlightened these newbies, Rivers"

They need to add multiplier if you eliminate the other team 4-0 in Survivor.

2x multiplier for 4 - 0
1.5x multiplier for 4 - 1
1.25x multiplier for 4 - 2

It fucking sucks being the best team and getting 40 supplies.

TommyLove

Neo Member
They need to add multiplier if you eliminate the other team 4-0 in Survivor.

2x multiplier for 4 - 0
1.5x multiplier for 4 - 1
1.25x multiplier for 4 - 2

It fucking sucks being the best team and getting 40 supplies.
they really do. what i usually do is I try to be the last man standing and take out the other remaining players and just leave one person so I can tie up the game on purpose in order to get more rounds, but it doesn't really work really well if you have good randoms on your teammates that wants to 4-0 the team.

Top Bottom