• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Alienous

I played some Survival for a change earlier, and my clan started dropping like flies. This was despite me posting decent scores and winning pretty much every game.

Once you get to around the 100 mark, it's near impossible to maintain your group by playing survival. There aren't enough rounds to gather the parts you require unless you manage to kill everybody, heal your team and craft a shit load of items.

The problem is that you have a minimum of 4 rounds, and a maximum of 7 (assuming no draws). Supply Raid, however, is always the same amount of parts potential. If your team ace the enemy team in Survivor, you'll have a shorter match and less opportunities to gain parts. The solution would be to calculate a players 'parts per round' and find an average value across the rounds played. At the end of the match you award players this 'parts per round' value, multiplied by the amount of missed potential rounds. That way doing well and winning quickly doesn't penalize you.

MrJTeera

Anybody got a glitch where you constantly get "Firefly Attack" for the random event? I swear to god I'm sick of going back and forth between 90 and 70 ish population.

Dantis

Just had the worst game ever. On a team with like three new players against some fairly high level guys. Rest of the team kept getting wiped out before I'd even managed to craft my stuff.

It can't be helped, but man, it's frustrating.

Jarek23

Banned
I played some Survival for a change earlier, and my clan started dropping like flies. This was despite me posting decent scores and winning pretty much every game.

Once you get to around the 100 mark, it's near impossible to maintain your group by playing survival. There aren't enough rounds to gather the parts you require unless you manage to kill everybody, heal your team and craft a shit load of items.

I find it to be the opposite, when I play Supply Raid I can hardly manage to feed 70 people. In survival there's at least the good chance that it will go to 6 or 7 rounds. Regardless of what you play though, feeding 100 is hard. Every game needs to be your best game and in Survival you need to be the best player to the point where you are the last man standing nearly every time and occasionally dying on purpose to let the other team win to play that extra round for those extra supplies.

Supply raid seems to be too run and gun for me, there are enough other games I can play that let me do that. Unless I'm just unlucky and finding those types of matches, Survival is slow paced most of the time, far better team work with randoms in my opinion.

Jarek23

Banned
Anybody got a glitch where you constantly get "Firefly Attack" for the random event? I swear to god I'm sick of going back and forth between 90 and 70 ish population.

It's not a glitch, it'l happen more often the further along you get. Weeks 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 you have a 100% risk to clan challenges. So even if you do your best you still lose 20% of them.

raindoc

WTF is going on in this game? one dude drops THREE (3) out of the four of us in 5 seconds with a fucking handgun and then heads straight across the room to the enemy most far away from him (me) to start executing.

fake Edit: being stuck for an eternity until the next "respawn wave" hits, i decided to vent here. respawning earlier than anticipated, i've been kicked for being idle, resulting in one third of my population being hungry, although i've provided a surpass of goods ever since day 1. fuck this, i couldn't even piss in this short time, yet they start starving despite the leftovers from yesterday.

Tangeroo

WTF is going on in this game? one dude drops THREE (3) out of the four of us in 5 seconds with a fucking handgun and then heads straight across the room to the enemy most far away from him (me) to start executing.

fake Edit: being stuck for an eternity until the next "respawn wave" hits, i decided to vent here. respawning earlier than anticipated, i've been kicked for being idle, resulting in one third of my population being hungry, although i've provided a surpass of goods ever since day 1. fuck this, i couldn't even piss in this short time, yet they start starving despite the leftovers from yesterday.

Was he using El Diablo? I've done this myself (dropped an entire team single-handedly with one) and I can feel the absolute rage the other team goes through.

raindoc

Was he using El Diablo? I've done this myself (dropped an entire team single-handedly with one) and I can feel the absolute rage the other team goes through.

no. silenced 9mm.

EDIT: new game, new luck. joined in progress. crouched 3m to the next box, got dropped. crawled back to a teammate. waited for i dunno how long, while he ignored me.
this MP has so much potential, but it is the worst with randoms. i hope cordyceps hits soon.

I've done it with superior positioning and the revolver in close quarters. Sometimes you can catch people off guard and with a little strafing and some luck all your shots land and theirs miss.

Then there's also just getting outplayed. Nobody likes to admit it when that happens (I know I sure don't) but it happens.

Are there additional levels to the explosive upgrade? My loadout perpetually states that explosives are "new" but it only details the single point level and if i equip it the "new" does not disappear. The text box layout does not show the level of the ability or any upgrades, it just says it costs one point. It is annoying because my gear menu item constantly has the exclamation mark next to it.

Gadirok

Ugh had a bad night with MP yesterday. Kept losing every match. Not because of me, but because I had no coordinated team while the enemies all used mics every match. There was one instance where three of the enemies threw 3 smokebombs from behind cover and took all of us out.

It just felt bad.

Anbec7

I just have a question, since I don't know how to change my character skins.. I only have the bald dude but are there other skins? Like in the uncharted multiplayer?

Thanks.

Also getting friends with a mic is a must! yesterday I found some random dudes and we had a blast in survivor shouting at each other for help/backup

I just have a question, since I don't know how to change my character skins.. I only have the bald dude but are there other skins? Like in the uncharted multiplayer?

Thanks.

Also getting friends with a mic is a must! yesterday I found some random dudes and we had a blast in survivor shouting at each other for help/backup

There don't seem to be any character skins for some reason. You can pick your hat, mask and helmet, but who you are in each match seems to be random. Unfortunate really after all the customization in unchsrted 3 or all the character skins in uc2 and 3. Hopefully this will change in the near future.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Netcode here is fucking garbage. I'm tired from disconnections and getting hungry/sick survivors.

Like I said... meta game is designed in a way to punish the people who actually care about it.

And of course they lock a bunch of shit behind it.

I think the core game is very strong, but the MP design is underdeveloped and poorly designed.

There isn't a mode that is actually true to the feeling and tone of SP. The boosters and shit are holdover from their Uncharted MP philosophy and it seems incredibly out of place in this game. At least to me. It honestly bothers me, that I consider TLoU probably the best game I've played, and they decided to go so gamey with the MP when "less is more" design philosophy was the backbone of TLoU. I don't feel like the MP represents the spirit of the game proper.

It was very disappointing to see only two variants of bare bones TDM with a (in practice) poorly implemented meta game.

Nothing about TLoU seems lazy... until you click on "factions".

edit: The maps are decent though, imo.

Anbec7

There don't seem to be any character skins for some reason. You can pick your hat, mask and helmet, but who you are in each match seems to be random. Unfortunate really after all the customization in unchsrted 3 or all the character skins in uc2 and 3. Hopefully this will change in the near future.

That's some DLC I would buy I like this MP a lot...
Thanks!

Alienous

Just got my first two 'host left the match' games today.

Fucking awful. I went from 121 survivors to 66 in a mere 3 games.

One I finish with 85 survivors I can forget about this horridly thought out metagame.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really wanted to dress up my character in MP, and the only thing they let you customize is hats, and 75% of them are stupid.

Can't pick gender. Can't pick clothes. Can't choose armor besides a helmet. Can't customize your character's physical appearance.

No beards.

I mean, come on!? No beards in Hobo Wars? Not cool man.

Alienous

I really wanted to dress up my character in MP, and the only thing they let you customize is hats, and 75% of them are stupid.

Can't pick gender. Can't pick clothes. Can't choose armor besides a helmet. Can customize your character's physical appearance.

No beards.

They should have done a Red Orchestra 2 type progression. Your level should be represented in game by the length and grayness of your beard. New players a clean shaven, veterans are graying.

... maybe even for the females?

Grisby

Can't pick gender. Can't pick clothes. Can't choose armor besides a helmet. Can't customize your character's physical appearance.

No beards.

This I can get behind. I hate being a random dude all the time.

AlexBasch

Melee is fucking bullshit. :| I have surprised guys from behind only to have them turn back, and beat me in two punches while I'm mashing Square. Does it have a rhythm pattern or something?

I'm actually really suprised at how much randoms are working together in my games
Got messages from guys thanking me for spotting and healing.

Because seriously, some fuckers just pass you by when you're bleeding and no enemies are near. I can even be a bullet sponge for you to flank someone, dipshit.

Vlodril

Melee is fucking bullshit. :| I have surprised guys from behind only to have them turn back, and beat me in two punches while I'm mashing Square. Does it have a rhythm pattern or something?

Got messages from guys thanking me for spotting and healing.

Because seriously, some fuckers just pass you by when you're bleeding and no enemies are near. I can even be a bullet sponge for you to flank someone, dipshit.

There is a skill for melee called brawler. Maybe that is why?

Am I being a jerk for leaving lobbies and then coming right back when its obvious there is a team of 4 seasoned players playing together and 3 other low level randoms in a room? Its the only way I can seem to eventually find a game with similar level of competition.

I'm actually really suprised at how much randoms are working together in my games

Yep. Already added by 10 people when I was playing random with them. We decided to start parties and communicate even better.

The thing I've realized at this game is that if you want to win, you not only need to communicate (random or no random; people will listen if you've swift enough; there are some annoying fucks who won't revive you even if you waggle in their face), stick together in group of twos (best way to avoid team wipe-out via Molotov or bomb), know your role (Are you assault? support? sniper? healer? Pick your perks as per the class you want to be) and play your role accordingly.

I get shit loads of points if I only heal. I don't even need to kill people yet I'm on top just by ensuring my team mates are alive. I also get shit loads of points by crafting and ensuring I gift items or lay down traps (free kills!), or I can pick a sniper or bow and mark people for everyone to know and see, and pick them off from far. I can also be a brawler and go for one melee kills while I smoke the place. As long as you let others know what perk you have, they will fit accordingly.

Am I being a jerk for leaving lobbies and then coming right back when its obvious there is a team of 4 seasoned players playing together and 3 other low level randoms in a room? Its the only way I can seem to eventually find a game with similar level of competition.

Yes, you are being a jerk (lol). I've had matches where I've manhandled people will level 25+ and two clan survivals or more, and I still whoop their ass with my level 4 character and others in the same page. In other days, I've played with the top 50th players on my team and we get our asses kicked.

I've only played 2 matches with non Gaffers and was awfull. Maybe I just had bad luck...

Its definitely is based on luck, I suppose. People who are "veterans" i.e. higher ranked or are familiar with the game are generally more keen to follow or help than others. Then again, people who are new to it are also keen to listen to ensure they get the full experience. People don't know how to revive, people don't know how to heal, people don't know how to gift crafts, people don't know a lot, and in some cases they think they're not playing right without realizing that a lot of it is tied to the right loadout selection. Its also a problem because you cannot see the controls in options and have to look at the manual which requires quitting the game, installing the manual, updating the manual (THE MANUAL HAS A PATCH!) and going through the information. It's still not informative enough, so the loading screen is all people have to wait for to show you how shit is done. By the time you see that loading screen, you're already deeply invested in the game.

Cycle continues.

I'm going to start playing again.

Overboost

Anyone else disappointed with the lack of unlockable content? I mean, have I seriously unlocked everything there is to unlock after just a few days of playing? Not talking about hats/helmets, but skills and loadout points. The important stuff.

This MP should have weeks of content to grind for, and I suppose a prestige mode, if you're into that. I'm only level 17*, btw (beat the 12 weeks with Fireflies once so far). Now there's nothing left to look forward to except some new emblems if I ever hit 105 population, which seems unlikely.
No beards.

Post of the month right here.

JawzPause

Are there additional levels to the explosive upgrade? My loadout perpetually states that explosives are "new" but it only details the single point level and if i equip it the "new" does not disappear. The text box layout does not show the level of the ability or any upgrades, it just says it costs one point. It is annoying because my gear menu item constantly has the exclamation mark next to it.

I have the same bug! We need to report this to someone at ND to fix, not a huge problem but it is annoying.

I have the same bug! We need to report this to someone at ND to fix, not a huge problem but it is annoying.

I have the same bug. I find the exclamation marks extremely annoying. Even before when it wasn't bugged, I shouldn't have to select everything that is new to get the exclamation mark to go away

Yep, we need more people, we have cookies! :D

I'll join. What's your PSN ID?

edit: We're already in a party and didn't realize it, lol.

Our group still needs two more people.

Kard8p3

I have the same bug. I find the exclamation marks extremely annoying. Even before when it wasn't bugged, I shouldn't have to select everything that is new to get the exclamation mark to go away

I'll join. What's your PSN ID?

edit: We're already in a party and didn't realize it, lol.

Our group still needs two more people.

What game mode?

raindoc

No beards.

Post of the month right here.

i agree with the junior. and evolved1.

Alright guys, I'm just about to play multiplayer for the first time ever. Is there a clan or faction I should join?

edit: nevermind, I just got 3 different error messages when trying to connect :/

waypoetic

Banned
Got my first "connection lost" in this game.

Thanks kaoz, pusha-t and that other guy i can't remember what his PSN name was :p

Tangeroo

No beards.

Beards are OP bro. Might as well allow for aim-botting.

Top Bottom