• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

zma1013

Yeah I agree, I think Collector is hard to beat if you're looking to get more parts. Regardless of what you could replace it with, it just seems like you get more parts more easily with it on since it applies to everything you do. When I want to meet supply quota, I go with the collector perk class.

Hospital
Suburbs
Hotel
Sewers

Pretty much this. The hotel in general has got some great vertical design with their basement/boiler room -> kitchen/restaurant, and guest rooms.

The Sewers and Hotel (if the lower levels) need Infected spawns.

Fireflies should get a buff from the Hospital if it's the hospital and not simply a hospital. In fact, there should be "base maps"-- maybe Hospital for Fireflies and something like Checkpoint or a map based on the Pitt. Bridge Checkpoint for the Hunters-- that give the respective faction a random buff for the game duration.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So it turns out I may not be able to get online later tonight. I'll definitely jump into the PSN chat room though if I can make it.

I got thrown into the 4th round of a game right as my team was about to lose, and now I've got 66 hungry people and 18 sick. What the hell.

I got thrown into the 4th round of a game right as my team was about to lose, and now I've got 66 hungry people and 18 sick. What the hell.

I had that happen once on my 12th week of my Firefly journey (on my Hunter now). Sabotaged my game to the point that I just barely missed getting my 85 population after 12 Weeks unlock. /rage

That doesn't happen anymore though since when I'm in matchmaking I will leave immediately if a list of players populates immediately (as opposed to a few at a time) since that's a telltale sign that it's going to drop you into the middle of an ongoing match. If I choose Find A Match and it immediately just shows a map I'm about to be dropped into, I dashboard the fuck out of the game. This wouldn't be an issue if they just included a way to cancel something like that, but until I get all the unlocks I want there's no way I'm putting my population at risk like that again.

Collector is a waste. You could make up any difference with Crafter 3 and First Aid 3. And you'll be more helpful to your teammates (more gifts + heals).

Some combination of crafter/firstaid/reviver fit into however many loadout points you have is the best support build for your team. And probably still better for parts than collector.

Huh, I'm going to try that tonight. I'll replace Collector 2 with Crafter and see how that works out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Huh, I'm going to try that tonight. I'll replace Collector 2 with Crafter and see how that works out.

Let us know. I might be wrong... I can only really speak for myself. For me collector was redundant and I prefer the in-game benefit of being able to craft more/faster and heal/revive teammates.

Also, I have all 13 loadout points, probably should mention that, you really need all of them.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

I'm on my 3rd time through and the only unlocks i'm missing are the 100+ pop and the 95 pop after 12 weeks (is it 95?) ...

I was only 5 off and 2 bad games and 20% loss of my clan mission at 11 1/2 weeks completely screwed me. Those 2 bad games were situations very much like yours and i'll never deal with that shit again. For one whole 12 week period i'm going to be "that guy" that quits every game that goes badly until I get that fucking skull mask and my black rancher hat. Then it's back to good ol having fun.

I'm on my 3rd time through and the only unlocks i'm missing are the 100+ pop and the 95 pop after 12 weeks (is it 95?) ...

I was only 5 off and 2 bad games and 20% loss of my clan mission at 11 1/2 weeks completely screwed me. Those 2 bad games were situations very much like yours and i'll never deal with that shit again. For one whole 12 week period i'm going to be "that guy" that quits every game that goes badly until I get that fucking skull mask and my black rancher hat. Then it's back to good ol having fun.

It's 85 pop after 12 weeks for the Skull Mask (the last one I need) and 115, 120 pop for the Beret/Black Rancher Hat respectively.

Here's a site I found with a very nice list of all customization unlocks and their conditions. [Gamewise.co]

AFAIK, if you try and be "that guy" and bail during a game while in-session (as opposed to before it starts), you'll get penalized as if you didn't collect anything. I don't know if dashboarding registers the same way though. My best advice is focus more on builds that just stockpile parts (a few good examples in the posts above) and perhaps down yourself/be more reckless if it looks like your team is steamrolling just to extend the game that one additional match in which you can collect more parts. Remember, it doesn't matter if you win the game, it matters how many parts you've collected. Focus on hitting those supply drops and crafting/gifting/healing. I'm in Week 8 of my Hunter journey (already done with Firefly) and I use a Crafter/Collector build that has kept my population right around 100-105 pretty consistently, and only takes me two days to recover to that level after a -20% pop Firefly attack.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Any details on when and how many maps will drop? I thought ND said some info would drop in a few days last Fri.

Love the MP on this. Usually only play it though if i'm in a group as it can be pretty unforgiving without communication.

Gaf Username : Soul Destroyer
PSN ID : Souldestroyer199
Timezone : UK
Mic/No Mic : Yup.

Feel free to hit me up on PSN :)

Let us know. I might be wrong... I can only really speak for myself. For me collector was redundant and I prefer the in-game benefit of being able to craft more/faster and heal/revive teammates.

Also, I have all 13 loadout points, probably should mention that, you really need all of them.

Alright so, I just got done playing a ton of matches with Crafter 3 equipped and not Collector 2 (shout out to killgore, castaction and kitton.)

I don't think I'm going to be changing back to Collector (also keep in mind this is literally the first time I've used Crafter after 29 weeks finished.) I do think crafter is better than collector, but I did not notice myself getting more parts. I was getting about the same I always get but I actually like crafter more because your helping your team out with gifts. To me, that part can't be argued -- giving your teammates bombs, molotov's and such enhances their survivability.

Also, while I was getting more parts right off the bat with Crafter. After 2 boxes, crafting shit and giving a gift in like the first minute of the game, I could already upgrade my gun and that is HUGE for me as I only use a Revolver and I think it is garbage without the upgrades.

So, yeah. I'm convinced if you're gonna have one or the other Crafter is better because of the gifts. The difference in parts you get is slim to none if you ask me, but you get more parts earlier and that really helps.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
It's 85 pop after 12 weeks for the Skull Mask (the last one I need) and 115, 120 pop for the Beret/Black Rancher Hat respectively.

Here's a site I found with a very nice list of all customization unlocks and their conditions. [Gamewise.co]

AFAIK, if you try and be "that guy" and bail during a game while in-session (as opposed to before it starts), you'll get penalized as if you didn't collect anything. I don't know if dashboarding registers the same way though. My best advice is focus more on builds that just stockpile parts (a few good examples in the posts above) and perhaps down yourself/be more reckless if it looks like your team is steamrolling just to extend the game that one additional match in which you can collect more parts. Remember, it doesn't matter if you win the game, it matters how many parts you've collected. Focus on hitting those supply drops and crafting/gifting/healing. I'm in Week 8 of my Hunter journey (already done with Firefly) and I use a Crafter/Collector build that has kept my population right around 100-105 pretty consistently, and only takes me two days to recover to that level after a -20% pop Firefly attack.

Dashboarding does not penalize you. It's the safe way to bounce out of a game that has disaster written all over it.

My first time through the Hunter's 12 weeks i had 104 pop at one point. Knowing i was 11 away is fucking infuriating whenever I take the time to think about it. The week 11 and week 12 missions have been consistently fucking me sideways
BUT
I have yet to make a single build with the collector skill. When i read it and tried it very early on I thought it was pretty weak compared to all the other available skills that could potentially make you more deadly/useful/productive/fast ect. ect. ... the last page or two here have actually made me consider running collector in perhaps those final weeks just for the extra push to make up ground when you lose that 20% - i have so far agreed with a few other posters here that crafter/healer is overall the better choice as you simply have more chances to ding supplies than if you don't run them... so perhaps i'll build a week 11/12 setup that runs healer and collector along with strat 2 and one gun or something like that. Just focus entirely on supply instead of working objectives and going for kills or what not...

I need that skull mask. I need it so bad.

How many loadout points do you have available? Also, do you care about the metagame of survivors and cosmetic unlocks or are you just interested in playing MP?

For me, I've found a good balance between being a team player and satisfying my need to feed the many mouths of my clan. I've got a "Santa Claus" build going that only has the Shorty but is kitted out with Collector 2, Crafter 3, Marathon 1, and Explosive Expert 1.

Keep to a routine of swooping in on toolbox locations, crafting, and gifting things to your teammates. You'll help out a ton, always have options for flushing out enemies with explosives, and get a ton of parts/supplies to boot. By the end of game I'm usually earning the most parts by a couple thousand.

University, Checkpoint, and to a lesser extent BIll's Town and Dam maps are your friends for this build. High School is so-so and Downtown is a deathtrap.

TL;DR Find a role that you're comfortable in that allows you to feel satisfied even if you get taken out a lot.
12 I think. I'll try that out but I just hate dying all the time by people whose guns deal crazy damage.

12 I think. I'll try that out but I just hate dying all the time by people whose guns deal crazy damage.

You're just getting outshot - happens to everyone. Are you upgrading your weapon? You need to if not.

And you mentioned earlier that you "suck" and guarantee that you don't, you're just teaming up with randoms. Playing with other good players in this game makes you better. Start playing with GAFers :)

zma1013

so perhaps i'll build a week 11/12 setup that runs healer and collector along with strat 2 and one gun or something like that. Just focus entirely on supply instead of working objectives and going for kills or what not...

If you're going for straight up parts, why include strat 2? It doesn't do anything directly to get you more parts and takes up 4 loadout points.

todahawk

If you're going for straight up parts, why include strat 2? It doesn't do anything directly to get you more parts and takes up 4 loadout points.

My 'pure parts' build for survivors is revolver/burst rifle, collector 2, crafter 3, marathon 1/2 (depending if I keep the burst rifle).

start of third round last night (iirc) I bought armor, upgraded burst to lvl 2 and revolver to level 2. finished with 6400+ points. was averaging over 5k easy.

of course the last match of the night we got swept 4-0 and I went from 100+ healthy clan to 25 hungry and 8 sick or some shit.

If i'm playing supply raid I run shorty/burst with crafter 3, first aid 2 and revive 1 iirc. Almost always have enough parts for full upgrades and armor whenever I need it.

Stoffinator

Has anybody been playing this game the last few hours? It has been really laggy. On the Dam level nobody could even punch each other and there has been a lot of disconnects with players.

I really hope ND brings The Lab playlist to tlou mp. I have seen so many good game mode ideas between this forum and the official playstation forums that they should let the player community beta test them in the lab to what works and what doesn't.

todahawk

Muahahaha, playing survivor last night had to matches back to back, 7370 & 7725 parts using the build I listed above. averaged around 6k last night.

zma1013

So uhh, how do I go about recording what's playing on my TV to my PC? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I need. TV tuner card? I don't want to watch TV on my PC though, I want to record. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

Muahahaha, playing survivor last night had to matches back to back, 7370 & 7725 parts using the build I listed above. averaged around 6k last night.

I could use a survivor partner. Most of the people on my friends list want to do supply raid all the time, but I'd like to start playing survivor more. zma1013 just like it is here if you're interested.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So uhh, how do I go about recording what's playing on my TV to my PC? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I need. TV tuner card? I don't want to watch TV on my PC though, I want to record. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?
You need a capture card, something like this. Be aware that the HDMI signal in all PS3's (and possibly all PS4's) is HDCP encrypted, so you'll need a capture card that either supports component like the one I posted or a way to bypass the HDCP.

Rodelero

Collector is a waste. You could make up any difference with Crafter 3 and First Aid 3. And you'll be more helpful to your teammates (more gifts + heals).

Some combination of crafter/firstaid/reviver fit into however many loadout points you have is the best support build for your team. And probably still better for parts than collector.

Big difference IMO between the best support class and the best parts class. For example, the marking booster is a great team perk, but doesn't help you get parts so much. The parts system fails to correctly reward players fairly. Hate it and the metagame really.

If you want parts, crafter 3, first aid 2, collector 1 is the best bet. Got the skull mask now, and happily no longer needing to play like that for parts.

Reviver, just doesn't make sense as (2 & 3) lower how much healing you can do thereafter.
Of course, the main advice - don't play with anyone!

todahawk

I could use a survivor partner. Most of the people on my friends list want to do supply raid all the time, but I'd like to start playing survivor more. zma1013 just like it is here if you're interested.

Sure thing, i'll add ya shortly, mid match right now.

I have a 2-3 solid people I play with regularly and another 3-4 semi-regularly. Haven't played with many gaffers but the group i play with almost all have mics and are pretty solid.

zma1013

Sure thing, i'll add ya shortly, mid match right now.

I have a 2-3 solid people I play with regularly and another 3-4 semi-regularly. Haven't played with many gaffers but the group i play with almost all have mics and are pretty solid.

Won't be on again tonight. Perhaps I'll see you on tomorrow or the next day.

Had to dashboard out of a game last night, week 12 day 4 or 5. Game joined me into a supply raid match that was already at last man standing. I hate to take the cheap way out but fuck that noise.

I keep trying to make selfish loadouts, but I always end up going back to being a group support class. I finally dropped revive from my loadouts as I have noticed even in pugs players will rarely let a downed player live.

I can't wait to see how this game continues to evolve. I hope we get a "woods" map

Moofers

I've got some friends who are just getting into this and I wanted to make a beginner's guide. Feel free to add to this, as I'll just be linking the direct post in our facebook group, and I can edit in any other good advice.

-Keep in mind this is for beginners only! Eventually you will outgrow some of these tips and behaviors. This is just to help you get eased into the game.

Rules

Pretty simple. Both game modes are just about killing the other team. The only difference is that Supply Raid has you respawning after you die, where Survivors is just 4 vs 4, first team to win 4 rounds wins the match.

In Supply Raid, if you gather supplies and weapons, you'll keep them when you die. In Survivors, all items and special weapons are reset each round except the ones you buy with parts.

Basics

You earn parts for everything you do in the game. Think of parts as currency, because you buy ammo, armor, upgrades, and weapons with it during matches. There are more ways to earn parts aside from killing enemies. You can get them by making items, marking enemies (click right stick when an enemy is in your sights and your team will see them) downing enemies, healing teammates, reviving teammates, and giving gifts.

If you find that its hard to get kills at first, focus on supporting your team and crafting as many things as you can. Once you have all the perks unlocked, you can be the top scoring player in a match just by helping out the most. Teamwork is really rewarded, and I'm not just talking about flanking!

Supply Boxes are scattered around the maps and show up as a white dot on your radar. Open them up to get all the ingredients for bombs, molotovs, shivs, etc. Make these a priority in every game.

Loadouts

You won't have all your loadout points unlocked yet. You'll need to experiment with all the guns and see which ones suit your playstyle, however I recommend the semi-auto as you can down an enemy in as few as 3 hits with it. When its upgraded, its pretty accurate from long range and you can pop off several shots before reloading or running out of your starting ammo. Others may recommend the bow, but I've personally found that weapon to be a bit more difficult to use, though its stealth perks are undeniable.

As for your perks, start with First Aid 1. Why? Because you'll heal yourself much faster than you would without it. This can really be important when you get winged and you see enemies closing in on your radar.

Also try Crafter 1 and 2. Remember, ABC: Always Be Crafting! This will eventually become your most important perk when you want to keep the clan in your meta-game alive or you just want to have a lot of parts to spend each game. At first you'll just create things quicker, but once you get Level 2 unlocked, you can give a gift to your teammates for every 3 items you make. This gets you parts that you'll want to remember to spend on weapon upgrades. Make whatever you can, when you can. Don't hoard ingredients in the hopes that you'll eventually make that elusive molotov, just make what you can and go with it! You might die and lose all your ingredients if you're playing Survivors, so make that shiv and health kit beacuse that's an easy 60 parts for you right there.

Also try Covert Training. The 2nd level of this lets you hide from enemies' radar when moving while crouched. This really helps you slip in behind enemy lines when needed, or make a sneaky escape if you feel like you're in a bad spot and want to relocate.

What should I do?

Again, remember ABC: Always Be Crafting! A typical game should consist of you and the smart members of your team making their way to every available supply box on the map. Should you meet resistance at a supply box from the other team, you may want to consider hanging back and seeing what they do before you go trying to push your way in. These boxes are important because they don't just supply you with extra weapons, but sometimes they have 100 parts in them and the items you make are also netting you parts. Again, all this should be spent in the store (R1 while in your backpack) on weapon upgrades first, armor second, ammo only in a jam or when you know you're going to get into a firefight.

Make weapon upgrades a priority because once you buy one, you'll have it for the rest of the match. Armor will stick with you between lives/rounds, but it can be destroyed and you'll need to buy it again. That's why I always make it a 2nd priority over upgrading my main weapon.

LISTEN! Listen Mode is limited, unlike the campaign mode. However, its super useful and you can see enemies through walls as long as they aren't sitting still or using the Covert Training perk, which hides them as they move while crouched. Once you get a little ways from your spawn, or in the case of Supply Raid, every time you spawn, its best to listen to Lt. Dan: Shut up! Get down! Listen!

Stick with your team! Sometimes you will have idiot teammates that are just suicidal. You'll have to know better than to follow them into the frying pan. Eventually you'll want to play around with flanking on your own if you feel like you can pull it off, but the majority of the time you are best off when you have at least 1 teammate nearby who can watch your back. You never know when an enemy is going to crouch out of the dark with a shiv ready for your neck, so its good to have an extra set of eyes and firepower!

Outnumbered? Get to any surviving teammates you have, but try to keep down and quiet if possible. Sometimes you'll have to run and get organized once you're there.

Alone? Get to a supply box! Normally you'd need to make bombs/molotovs/etc. but in the event that you are the last man standing on your team, a supply box will have these ready to go! Expect 1 or 2 of each, which could be the difference between putting up a good fight and going down in flames. If you can pull it off, grab this stuff, find a spot to hunker down, and lay bombs all over the place! Then get your molotov ready to throw at the first sign of ANYTHING.

Be okay with dying! Its going to happen and it doesnt matter. Just have fun! Try supporting your team with gifts and heals, sneaking up on enemies for stealth shiv kills, or whatever you want. Play around with the different weapon loadouts and see what feels good!

Good stuff to know

Smoke bombs are good for more than just creating a cloud to hide behind. If you can smoke an enemy, they'll be stunned for a moment, allowing you to run up and shiv them from any angle, as opposed to the normal rule that they can only be shiv'd from behind. Or if you don't have a shiv, just shoot them while they're stunned!

Molotovs have crazy range! If you even SEE an enemy holding one and looking your way, get outta there! If its in the air and their aim was true, well, YouAreAlreadyDead.jpg.

Bombs work differently than in campaign. If you just press R1 with it equipped, you'll set it down and it now works like a proximity mine. If you aim with L1 and throw, it will detonate shortly after it lands. You can also spot the ones enemies have laid with Listen Mode and you can mark them for your teammates to see once you have them in your crosshairs, should you not want to blow it up for some reason.

There's no friendly fire. You can bomb yourself out of existence and accidently set yourself on fire, but your teammates will not pay the price for your bumbling.

If you die, you may want to set up for the next round by making your purchases in the store before the round starts. This kind of thing would allow you to do something wild like buy a Military Sniper Rifle and as soon as the round starts, sprint up to the equivalent of the 50 yard line and pick off your enemies by surprise!

Some people will say never craft a health kit. This is true only some of the time. Yes, they are already scattered around the maps, but you still get 30 parts for each one you make and sometimes its best to just make the damn kit and get your parts.

Last thing and I'll say this again because it bears repeating, HAVE FUN! Don't worry about dying, take it all in stride, and remember its just a game. When your corpse gets teabagged, and it will, learn to laugh about it because at some point you'll have your moment and you may be returning the favor. Hell, your whole team may be in on it if you pull off a sweep!

So enjoy. This is one of the coolest competitive multiplayer shooters to come along in a generation that has been craving innovation like this for years.

Yours Truly,
PSN: Unoillnino

PS- Remember your ABC's!

Ted

Great post Moofers.

I've certainly been doing better (parts wise) since moving to a support role, so much so I have at last completed the Firefly meta-game "journey".

I quite like rocking with the Shorty in my support class as it gives some serious short range firepower if someone does get up close. The only problem is you need to be reasonably accurate despite the wide spread as you only get two shots before re-loading.

Vitanimus

Good points Uno! The MP is so much more fun once you get past the metagame and just do what you want in terms of loadouts. Usually in the first supply box you hopefully get enough supplies to make a shiv, a nailbomb or a smoke bomb. If you're using crafter 2/3, I find it's better to go for the shiv and smoke bomb rather than just the nailbomb so you can make a gift.

It's way better to wait for the second box before crafting anything : reinforcing that 2x4 should get precedence over everything else, including the shiv. You won't be able to gift anything until that second box anyway.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Good info Uno. I've been tight on time this week since I'm throwing a housewarming party tonight and I've been trying to get stuff ready, but I hope to jump into the multiplayer (and hopefully play with some Gaffers) over the weekend.

Jinjo

Nothing like joining a losing team that got completely mopped up in the first round, find yourself the last man standing vs 3 players and single handedly win the round. You're not steamrolling anyone on my watch dudes. It ended with me and the final enemy running laps around a car. Eventually his juice ran out and his face made friends with my modded 2x4 lol.

And then I got disconnected in the next round..

Love this multiplayer. What's this GAF handle everyone is talking about for setting up multi-games?

So if I don't use Covert 2 or 3, then even when crouch walking, guys can see me in listen mode? Always been confused on this. Seems kind of shitty to have to dedicate a perk to curb the wall hack.

AKyemeni

So if I don't use Covert 2 or 3, then even when crouch walking, guys can see me in listen mode? Always been confused on this. Seems kind of shitty to have to dedicate a perk to curb the wall hack.
Yes. You have to be completely still while crouched.

Also: If you are holding a projectile, like a smoke bomb, molotov, or nail bomb, enemies can still see a pulse coming from your hand in listen mode, REGARDLESS if you are using covert training or crouching still.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Here's some advice: Don't worry about LM.

Just stick with your team and play smart... it's really unfortunate LM is in the game, terrible game design imo, but don't let it affect how you play. They still have to shoot you to kill you, and the best players I've played with don't even use covert. Upgrade your weapons, buy armor. And shoot them before they shoot you. LM is just an annoyance. Don't allow it to be a hindrance by thinking about it too much or letting it alter your playstyle. Maybe someday ND will grow a brain and make a mode without all of that bullshit, but I wouldn't hold my breath, they seem pretty proud of themselves right now.

Reule

Brawler 2, Crafter 3, and Machete is beastly. Put armor on and feel like a samurai. It's awesome cutting down three guys down when you're the last one left. I also love the sound when you upgrade the machete. SHHHHHIIING.

Locked up 3 times last night during multiplayer, never happened to me before in this game.
I posted earlier in the thread mentioning the same. Hadn't had any freezes in multiplayer or singleplayer till recently. It seems every other session I have at least one lock up. Funny enough, it's normally Dam when it happens but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

gibration

Here's some advice: Don't worry about LM.

Just stick with your team and play smart... it's really unfortunate LM is in the game, terrible game design imo, but don't let it affect how you play. They still have to shoot you to kill you, and the best players I've played with don't even use covert. Upgrade your weapons, buy armor. And shoot them before they shoot you. LM is just an annoyance. Don't allow it to be a hindrance by thinking about it too much or letting it alter your playstyle. Maybe someday ND will grow a brain and make a mode without all of that bullshit, but I wouldn't hold my breath, they seem pretty proud of themselves right now.

I'm actually the exact opposite. I use Covert 3 and I play around Listen Mode. Stealth is key imo and using both definitely gives you an advantage over others.

todahawk

Nothing like joining a losing team that got completely mopped up in the first round, find yourself the last man standing vs 3 players and single handedly win the round. You're not steamrolling anyone on my watch dudes. It ended with me and the final enemy running laps around a car. Eventually his juice ran out and his face made friends with my modded 2x4 lol.

And then I got disconnected in the next round..

Love this multiplayer. What's this GAF handle everyone is talking about for setting up multi-games?

There's a PSN text chat we use to group up. I'll add ya and send ya an invite.

Top Bottom