• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

I posted earlier in the thread mentioning the same. Hadn't had any freezes in multiplayer or singleplayer till recently. It seems every other session I have at least one lock up. Funny enough, it's normally Dam when it happens but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

I think for me it may have been my PS3 at fault. I had noticed the fan was getting a bit louder recently, so I tried to clean as much dust as I could. Been playing for several hours today since and had no problems.

Gorillaz

Hope they add a Lab playlist like what someone else said. Would love to see some of there fun mix and match gamemodes.

Also would love a gamemode where It was unranked, No supplies needed to be collected. This along with coop is the only thing missing imo

So has anyone had the game go through the motions of loading you into a match (not just dropping you into a match), seemingly take forever to load and the return you to the lobby without saying you lost a connection or were kicked form a match? Just had that happen to me and it logged that the day had passed and it was as if I collected zero supplies for my clan so I lost 15 people and now everyone is hungry (obviously). My build is such that I'll sort that supply issue out in a couple of days but for fuck's sake that was one of the more annoying bugs to have encountered.

Edit: It just fucking happened again! My population took a huge hit this time and I've collectively gone from 147 down to 88 because of the two times this happened. Still have two weeks to finish my Hunter journey and get my Skull Mask but I will rage like crazy if this bug becomes the reason I don't get that unlock.

Man, the last few days before today playing this game were really off days for me. Mostly my aim -- I felt like I could get a down to save my life.

Today all of a sudden I'm having no trouble at all. Such is life. Good games by the way, Killthee and Evolved.

Hope they add a Lab playlist like what someone else said. Would love to see some of there fun mix and match gamemodes.

Also would love a gamemode where It was unranked, No supplies needed to be collected. This along with coop is the only thing missing imo

Supplies are part of that fine balance and having another game mode would spit the player base up even more resulting in longer waiting time inmatchmaking, I hope they don't fuck with that. Uncharted 2 MP wa tweaked way too much, U3 mp never felt as good. Sometimes when you make something good you need to leave it alone instead of tweaking it and adding things and end up messing it up like having one too many visit to a cosmetic surgeon.

I wouldn't mind a tournament or patch in clan support. New maps, etc. But please no gameplay tweaks.

Listening to the latest Blogcast, they had the MP devs and mentioned that this has been their largest multiplayer population to date.
I'm glad people are really liking it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Listening to the latest Blogcast, they had the MP devs and mentioned that this has been their largest multiplayer population to date.
I'm glad people are really liking it.
Guessing they didn't say anything about the DLC right?

Guessing they didn't say anything about the DLC right?

It was asked but they didn't go into any detail besides saying that there is two pieces of DLC planned. Which we already knew. To me it sounded like they're pretty excited to talk about DLC but can't right now.

benjammin

Please add me to the list, psn - benjammin172. I'm just getting into the mp now and it's a ton of fun. Despite the fact that I'm very mediocre

Finally finished my Hunter journey (and nabbing that platinum in the process), so here are my thoughts re: TLoU MP in its current form:

sandlot-forever-o.gif

- Finishing a Journey, let alone both, takes forever. Maybe those of you that spend a lot of your gaming time playing MP in other games are unaffected by this, but the last 3 weeks of my Hunter journey had that same zombie-like tedious feeling as when I was going for the Perfectionist (75% game completion) trophy in Just Cause 2. I don't have any real suggestion for how it could be changed however, given the clan-growing objectives. It just felt way too long, imo.

tumblr_m7ln1ubl0L1r2k7mzo1_500.jpg

- OP weapons aside, I think TLoU's MP has some of the best balance I've played in a multiplayer game. I would say a lot of that balance is built into the fantastic map design. I never saw a lobby roster and thought "oh shit, it's a bunch of Lvl 75+ badasses. I'll never get my parts/complete my mission.". I've seen Lvl 0's and 1's just decimate teams despite their weapon/skill disadvantage. I can't speak for Supply Raid since I played 99% of MP in Survivors, but I think ND has created something super accessible here.

Heroes_HiroNakamura_CharlieAndrews_OrigamiCranes.gif

- I will say that for my particular style of play, once I got Collector 2 and Crafter 3, the game became a lot more fun. I really enjoyed just keeping my team stockpiled with a ridiculous amount of items.

tumblr_mpoakhwzfq1r2yq9fo1_500.gif
(Source)

- The MP needs infected badly. I have no doubt we'll see it introduced in later DLC, but I thought that it could've been used to great effect, especially in the later weeks, to break up some of the monotony.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

- Overall, this was one of the best MP experiences I've had in a while. I'm definitely going to be taking a break from it and play some of the other games I've been neglecting, but I honestly can't wait to see what new maps and elements ND brings to the MP in TLoU. This is the first time I've ever cared about continuing my MP experience in a game, so hats off to them.

Reule

I think for me it may have been my PS3 at fault. I had noticed the fan was getting a bit louder recently, so I tried to clean as much dust as I could. Been playing for several hours today since and had no problems.
I don't even know. It's literally every other session now and always The Dam. Doesn't happen every time I play The Dam but it's always that damn map. I'll clean my PS3 again but it's pretty clean and well ventilated. Disc is fine too so no idea. :(

Vitanimus

Part of me is secretly hoping ND will patch in more supply boxes or move boxes about in the DLC patches because there are so many unused areas in a lot of maps.

1. The bottom three houses in Lakeside after the supply box near the trailer are almost never ventured into unless it's a last one standing scenario and they're holed up somewhere.
  2. The movie theatre and firehouse in Checkpoint are also underused, although not as bad as the Lakeside houses. At least they have the benefit of good, but obvious, sniping spots.
  3. All of Downtown. lol
  4. The gym in the High School maps.

There is just no motivation to go to any of these areas because of the lack of supply boxes. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or detrimental to the balance of the maps if there were more supply boxes or they were moved about to utilise all this "wasted" space. The Dam however uses every inch of the map which is quite nice.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm really getting annoyed with the "dynamic" supply boxes. In survivors, if your team has just a one round lead, every fucking box will dick you over. Open a box and get one rag. I have gone to 3 boxes and sometimes still not be able to craft anything. It's bullshit.

I can see giving the last guy in a 1v3 a bunch of bombs and crap, I get that... but the balancing boxes where the team with a lead gets dicked over so hard is beginning to grate on me. Really brain dead design imo.

Alienous

I don't even know. It's literally every other session now and always The Dam. Doesn't happen every time I play The Dam but it's always that damn map. I'll clean my PS3 again but it's pretty clean and well ventilated. Disc is fine too so no idea. :(

My PS3 overheats 3 minutes into any multiplayer session in TLOU, so as much as I want to I just can't play it.

I'm not too bothered, just praying the same doesn't happen with GTA V.

Part of me is secretly hoping ND will patch in more supply boxes or move boxes about in the DLC patches because there are so many unused areas in a lot of maps.

1. The bottom three houses in Lakeside after the supply box near the trailer are almost never ventured into unless it's a last one standing scenario and they're holed up somewhere.
  2. The movie theatre and firehouse in Checkpoint are also underused, although not as bad as the Lakeside houses. At least they have the benefit of good, but obvious, sniping spots.
  3. All of Downtown. lol

There is just no motivation to go to any of these areas because of the lack of supply boxes. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial or detrimental to the balance of the maps if there were more supply boxes or they were moved about to utilise all this "wasted" space. The Dam however uses every inch of the map which is quite nice.

This is very true, I think I've only ever ended up down there a couple of times. I'm not sure if more supply boxes would be a good thing, but moving them around in different patterns is a good idea and would change how maps are approached. I'd love to see that happen.

As for Downtown, it needs to be removed and replaced with another map. It's just a waste having it there. I'd love to see ND's voting statistics, lol.

Alienous

3. All of Downtown. lol

I think the point kind of is to have a fall back / regrouping point in every map, which isn't usually a combat area. Not all of the map has to be used; it is certainly useful to have at least some of the map as a 'go to' area for when shit hits the fan.

The lower part of the dam still has quite a few hiding places that you don't tend to fight someone in, the only difference being that these places aren't in a building.

I remember reading that if you shot someone with armor in the legs, your shots would ignore the armor and therefore making it easier to kill them. Do you guys know if that's true? I always forget to test it.

SharkJAW

I remember reading that if you shot someone with armor in the legs, your shots would ignore the armor and therefore making it easier to kill them. Do you guys know if that's true? I always forget to test it.

It's true. I found out by accident, but armor only covers the upper body, so shots to the leg ignore the armor entirely.

Jinjo

There's a PSN text chat we use to group up. I'll add ya and send ya an invite.

Where my invite at yo? :p

My clan is sitting nice at 121 atm. Could do with some good teammates now. Unlocked everything except for skull and the flight helmet. I'll probably get the second one, don't know about the first. In a good match I can get 100 supplies no problem, but I really don't feel like quitting every single time things go bad, just because of some minigame. But now I'm there I hope I can keep those numbers up haha. Still have 6 weeks to go in my second journey.

Just changed my load out to:

- Semi Auto Rifle
- Healer 3
- Collector 3

Get tons of parts off the bat from load out boxes and healing teammates in gun fights, upgrade to armour and upgrade Rifle quick. Gunfights go better, and you get 100+ parts when the match is over.

Was playing the University on Survivors a short while ago and the location of the first box near the trailer was moved a little to the left, in a less exposed area. Didn't notice any other changes though.

I love Downtown :(

And finally I can get through playing the MP without not respawning or other game breaking glitches :D

So I'm trying to unlock all the hats and other customation pieces. I'm currently at 100 survivors at 5 weeks; day 5. Currently struggling with getting more population. Been doing all missions successfully and reaching level 3 on all. But by week 5 I'm not getting enough supplies, I get around 60-75 per match and now they're slowly dying off due to being sick. Any tips on how I can keep the population growing?

Jinjo

I just freed myself of the metagame shackles. Did my second run as a Hunter and managed to unlock the skull mask too! (and I did it all in the no party playlist lol) The platinum for this game was the cherry on top.

And finally I can get through playing the MP without not respawning or other game breaking glitches :D

So I'm trying to unlock all the hats and other customation pieces. I'm currently at 100 survivors at 5 weeks; day 5. Currently struggling with getting more population. Been doing all missions successfully and reaching level 3 on all. But by week 5 I'm not getting enough supplies, I get around 60-75 per match and now they're slowly dying off due to being sick. Any tips on how I can keep the population growing?

Crafter 3 and First Aid 3 is where it's at. Craft as much as you can to get those gifts. Do whatever you want the remaining 2 points, but a semi-auto is nice for defence. Play Survivor btw. Pick healing/gifting for 100% risk only, maybe marking but you can use those for easy +10%. You want to get a population of 130+ going before you head into week 12. Then just maintain it through the challenges. Use partboosters only on that last week just for extra comfort. You need to net about 95 supplies to maintain a healthy 110 population in order to unlock that coveted skull mask (and then when you get it come to the conclusion it's really not that cool).

What load out are you using? That's pretty important to how many parts you're earning.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
This game needs a tournament system like in Metal Gear Online. Make winning matter D:

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can't believe this game has been out 2 months now and we still don't have any release dates for dlc.Another month and I'll be moving onto GTAV. lol

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really hope it's out before GTA Online at least, I can't see me playing much else afterwards which is a shame since BritGAF loves some TLoU multi.

I suck by myself playing online though, at week ten now and only have 60 peeps.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Åesop;76911083 said:
This game needs a tournament system like in Metal Gear Online. Make winning matter D:
I've been saying the same thing since launch. Something like MGO's Survival mode matchmaking would have been perfect for the game. Solo people would be encouraged to party up for it & groups looking for a challenge would jump in for the competition/prizes.

Gen X

I have quit more multiplayer games today than the rest of my gaming life added together. Usually I don't whinge about the mp side, if it's bad then it's bad and I don't touch it but TLOU has proven itself day in day out, till today.

I played the meta game four roughly four weeks today so that is 28 rounds roughly. less than 1/4 of those did the players on the other team have 3/4 bars. The rest were lag fests playing with people in Asia, Eastern Europe, even a few games in the US (I'm in Oceania).

I would run past a doorway then a few seconds later die from a sniper bullet when I was surrounded by walls. Items from the chests wouldn't pick up, hell one game I had red dots on my radar warping all around me. I had couple of really good games, one where we steamrolled them 15-0 but the rest. When my clan is on the line I am not going to risk it all because of some piss poor match making. Atleast let me choose a region to search in.

Next gen better be an improvement whn it is behind a paywall. There is no excuse.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Today I saw one enemy floating in the air as he slowly drifts away lol.. I was like

1360809152454_zpsdf3f8656.gif

His character was obviously somewhere else but I was able to shoot his stucked "phantom" version. Happened 3 times. Don't know if he's glitching, wall-hugging etc. or its just lag

Gen X

One loadout I am using for max parts has revolver as my only weapon, Reviver 2(? The one that gives you 50% more parts), Crafting 3 and Collector 2. Still struggling to get more than 4300 but that's more my lack of downs than anything else.

Jinjo

One loadout I am using for max parts has revolver as my only weapon, Reviver 2(? The one that gives you 50% more parts), Crafting 3 and Collector 2. Still struggling to get more than 4300 but that's more my lack of downs than anything else.

Parts should not be your main concern, it should be the supplies itself. Ditch reviver 3 and collector 2. Get first aid 3 instead. Every heal (not every single person you heal but every heal itself) nets you one supply. People get hurt way more often than they actually go down. Stick in cover and heal away your teammates that do stick their face out. You have 2 points left over to get a nice semi-auto to get more downs yourself, which nets you more supplies as well. Again, if you want to build your clan it's about hitting those supplies, not necessarily parts. Still, with that loadout I net 5000-6000 parts easy.

Having said that, I really enjoy having unlocked everything and just be concerned with winning matches. Had some epic 4vs1 and 3vs1 stand-offs that I won, because my loadout is more "kill-oriented" now. I love the shotgun, it is the best last-stand weapon in the game.

zma1013

Parts should not be your main concern, it should be the supplies itself. Ditch reviver 3 and collector 2. Get first aid 3 instead. Every heal (not every single person you heal but every heal itself) nets you one supply.

All the "bonus parts" skills get you extra parts that are converted into supplies at the end of the game. Getting parts IS getting supplies at the end of it. The only way you directly get supplies while playing is by picking them up off of players you've killed or downed and died. Still, you are right that reliably getting parts is easier with First Aid, but occasionally in games you can end up reviving lots of people and the bonuses from that can stack quite a lot.

Top Bottom