• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

velociraptor

Ooooh, watch out, we got a tough, awesome, fun guy here.

If there's someone to blame, it'd be ND for ruining the MP for those who are interested and those who are not interested by forcing people to play it to earn platinum trophies when the main game is single-player. And to top it off, they ruined it further by adding stupid meta-game, which will make people quit their game halfway through because they don't want to mess up their meta game.

Well, whatever. I got my plat. So enjoy your meta-game and your team mates quitting halfway through of it when they fail. Or maybe you'd do it too. Oh wait, that'd make you a hypocrite, won't it?
What multiplayer trophies are there?

What meta-game is this that you speak of?

I was doing terrible yesterday but I've gradually got better at this game. It's fun when you play with a group of friends who are willing to work together as opposed to Rambos.

BadData

And to top it off, they ruined it further by adding stupid meta-game, which will make people quit their game halfway through because they don't want to mess up their meta game.

Pro-tip, quitting a match halfway will really mess up your clan, you get punished with a bunch of sick people... So people who care a lot about the meta game are actually less likely to quit mid-match.

Jachaos

Huh. Only read the last couple pages but surprised at some of the negative reactions. I really like it. It's different from much of the online multiplayer we've had and reminds me a bit of Gears of War 1, with many different nuances of course.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Pro-tip, quitting a match halfway will really mess up your clan, you get punished with a bunch of sick people... So people who care a lot about the meta game are actually less likely to quit mid-match.
You get no penalty if you quit by signing out of PSN or quitting directly to the XMB.

Well your both right and wrong at the same time. If you just quit out the match from the in game menu, you clan will suffer. However, if you actually do it from the XMB (sign out of PSN while in mid match) you do not get penalized. I do not do this myself - but I have played with a "cough" GAFer who uses this technique.

Edit: damn beaten.

Shaprshooter works across all guns.

Welp, time to change my loadouts.

Wow, they really need to re-write that description then. I even looked at it again last night to make sure.

Hmm. I WANT to believe this is true, but the description really makes it seem unlikely. Can you back that up with some type of actual proof? (Other than you just telling us your accuracy "seems" better when you use it).

gibration

Hmm. I WANT to believe this is true, but the description really makes it seem unlikely. Can you back that up with some type of actual proof? (Other than you just telling us your accuracy "seems" better when you use it).

Well, you can try it for yourself in a custom game if you don't believe me. Aim and look at the difference with and without Sharpshooter. It's hardly noticeable but it's there.

Well, you can try it for yourself in a custom game if you don't believe me. Aim and look at the difference with and without Sharpshooter. It's hardly noticeable but it's there.

Well I just sent a tweet to some of the dev's - maybe they will get back to us with an answer?

@So0p_: @tlougame Can someone @ @Naughty_Dog (@Neil_Druckmann or @bruce_straley) please let us know if this is true or not? http://t.co/10dbh4P6jv

I could care less about what they have to say. I've tried it, I know it works.

Ooooh, watch out, we got a tough, awesome, fun guy here.

Lmao! So you are basically saying you don't care if the dev's (you know, the people who made the game) actually dismiss or confirm your claim, because you have tried it, and you KNOW it works?

Hmm. Interesting way of looking at things I guess.

Edit: so I actually just went into a private match, and set up two load outs.

Load out A) silenced semi-auto/crafter/hawk-eyed 2/first aid training 2

Load out B) silenced semi-auto/sharpshooter 3

First equipped load out A. While aiming I didn't feel any gun sway at all.

Re-spawned and equipped load out B. while aiming I didn't feel any gun sway at all.

Finally tried the same thing again, however this time with the hunting rifle in place of the semi-auto, and wow the B load out had dramatically less SCOPE sway!

Anyone who is wondering about the sharpshooter perk, do the same exercise yourself and you will no longer be wondering.

gibration

Lmao! So you are basically saying you don't care if the dev's (you know, the people who made the game) actually dismiss or confirm your claim, because you have tried it, and you KNOW it works?

Hmm. Interesting way of looking at things I guess.

How else do you want me to put it? Even if the devs say no, Sharpshooter still decreases the sway for any gun.

How else do you want me to put it? Even if the devs say no, Sharpshooter still decreases the sway for any gun.

But that's where the issue arises, aside from the hunting rifle, military sniper, and POSSIBLY the bow, the other guns don't (well at least i can't seem to notice any) have any sway at all while aiming. The camera simply zooms in a little bit, vs. the scoped guns which have a simulated "scope" view.

gibration

But that's where the issue arises, aside from the hunting rifle, military sniper, and POSSIBLY the bow, the other guns don't (well at least i can seem to notice any) have any sway at all while aiming. The camera simply zooms in a little bit, vs. the scoped guns which have a simulated "scope" view.

The farther you aim the more noticeable it becomes. Because the other guns don't have much sway to begin with it can be hard to notice but if you look closely it actually does decrease.

Multiplayer is great and our team manages to win 95% of the games . My only concern is that we find everyday mostly the same players so when the other players see us they quit the game before it stars.

Are the servers decidated to the same people every time?

Balance in the team is important we play as is were a RPG, each member has a role.

I agree playing with firends is the best but even play as a lone wolf is funny.
I'm starting to wonder myself. My team dominates way too much for the matchmaking to be totally fair. I want more of a challenge but we never seem to get paired against teams on par with us.

Ted

I'd highly suggest you play through at least part of the single player first, that is the main meat of the game and it will also let you adjust to the controls and style of general gameplay. Some of the things you do can carry over a bit from single player, some things don't. Given that there is a bit of a learning curve to the multiplayer, you will probably get crushed if you have zero experience at all with the game.

I generally go into online MP expecting to be crushed! I am *that* guy I'm afraid.

I had a little go at the SP to get a feel for the controls, I literally only played up to
agreeing to smuggle Ellie and waiting for Tess to arrive back after checking the weapons
. Controls are OK, different to the few other games like this I have played but reasonably intuitive. I haven't really got into the SP game itself but I suspect I will, there are a few annoyances but they're off topic here.

Once I was happy with the control scheme, vaguely at least, I tried the MP...

Now /this/ I *like*.

What a refreshing change to find a slower paced, thinking, team death match game. I chose the matchmaking (no parties) option and was surprised by the general helpfulness of most of the people I encountered. The first few games I just stuck following people around and tried to watch peoples backs though I think I broadly just got in the way of everyone.

After a few games and finally starting to get the crafting I continued to mostly hang back so people could come crawling back to get healed under covering fire. Despite it being largely random covering fire it seemed reasonably successful when the other guys were already acting as a loose team. The folks I was playing with were mostly on mic (about four in total across the "lobby" of eight) and were really helpful with tips. They were also generally being forgiving of my fucktardery and encouraging when I actually did something right. The first time I got a down and execution with a plank with nails in it's fair to say "the crowd went wild"... relief mostly I expect!

Anyway, definitely a generally positive experience.

Fortips anyone wanting to get into the MP, playstation blog posted a feature that has some pretty good tips that've been mentioned a lot. More at the link.

Thanks for the link, some useful tips that a little more sense after a few games to get a feel for how it all works. I'm still awful, but marginally less awful.

If you see some dude bumbling ineffectually around looking for a plank, be gentle, that's probably me.

Mobius1

Yes. That is of course if its true. Jury is still out on it IMO.

Test it out yourself in a private match, I found no differences with sharpshooter equipped on non scoped guns.

Three reasons why I think Sharpshooter applies to all guns:

1. Even though the aiming reticule is static, I've noticed a difference in how far bullets veer off-course on the semi-auto at long range. It's not so much your aim that sways as it is the character's body

2. That PS blog article linked on the previous page recommends Sharpshooter for the semi-auto and revolver

3. When you use parts to upgrade a weapon, improved accuracy is one of the benefits. It would make sense that Sharpshooter is buffing this same stat.

Vitanimus

I was rereading this thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=576273

and I remember the overall disdain for Listen Mode when the trailer came out. Now that we have played the game for more than a month, how do you guys now feel about Listen Mode?

I have no problem with it at all. I think people who complain about listen mode in the multiplayer portion of the game are a bit silly, or at least people who choose not to use listen mode think they are somehow "above" other players, who view listen mode as an exploit rather than a mechanic. If you can see them, then they can see you unless you have covert training 2+. I would not be against a mode setting that disabled listen mode however.

Mobius1

If you can see them, then they can see you unless you have covert training 2+

Not entirely true, if you're crouched and standing still you won't show up on listen mode while still being able to see others who are moving.

Still, I agree its a fair mechanic. Unless you have no interest in gaining parts or kills, you will spend most of the match in motion. The only time you'd make use of going completely silent is if you already know someone is coming your way, in which case kudos to that person for being alert.

Would anyone like to join me for some recorded games? I'm still kind of a noob but I'm trying to test out my capture setup that includes my own voice as well as whats coming out of the PS3.

If you are interested, add me on PSN: xenorevlis

Otherwise, I'll just keep going in the single player :)

God I wish this multiplayer had cinema mode like uncharted. I just had a game where I used the blow smoke gesture in front of an enemy just as he was getting shivved by a teammate. The timing was so damn perfect.

DoucheVader

Neo Member

Signing out of the PSN IE: hit Triangle on "Account Management" will avoid this.

OR have a friend invite you. I think that gets you out of matches Scott Free too.

What multiplayer trophies are there?

What meta-game is this that you speak of?

I was doing terrible yesterday but I've gradually got better at this game. It's fun when you play with a group of friends who are willing to work together as opposed to Rambos.

A couple of trophies for going through all 12 weeks as Firefly and Hunter. Not too hard though.

The Meta-Game is your clan. If the Clan population reaches 0 you need to start the 12 weeks over. So don't mess up on your 100% missions.

This game punishes run and gun. Also revive before you execute.

Would anyone like to join me for some recorded games? I'm still kind of a noob but I'm trying to test out my capture setup that includes my own voice as well as whats coming out of the PS3.

I may be down for this what kind of capture device do you have?

Three reasons why I think Sharpshooter applies to all guns:

1. Even though the aiming reticule is static, I've noticed a difference in how far bullets veer off-course on the semi-auto at long range. It's not so much your aim that sways as it is the character's body

2. That PS blog article linked on the previous page recommends Sharpshooter for the semi-auto and revolver

3. When you use parts to upgrade a weapon, improved accuracy is one of the benefits. It would make sense that Sharpshooter is buffing this same stat.

Non-scoped guns don't have sway and the character doesn't sway either.

The difference between Scoped vs Non-Scoped is Scoped weapons have Sway and Non-Scoped have Bullet Spread.

DoucheVader

Neo Member
I used to do this, but everytime I do the guy I revive steals my execution. Now I finish the downed guy with a few shots from my pistol before I revive.

If you want to play as a team it's best to share executions. If a person downs and executes a guy you only get 2 bullets. If you down the guy and your team mate executes you get 2 bullets and so does your buddy.

This game isn't about killing, its about surviving. The only time you NEED to get executions is when you are doing the missions.

If me and a buddy down 2 guys we swap who we execute to get more bullets and clan supplies. Given this game spawns you with so few bullets, this can make a huge difference and you can save your parts for upgrading your guns.

zma1013

Non-scoped guns don't have sway and the character doesn't sway either.

The difference between Scoped vs Non-Scoped is Scoped weapons have Sway and Non-Scoped have Bullet Spread.

There is sway to non-scoped guns, just aim the damn things and watch your reticule wobble all around. I have no idea if that skill effects the sway for those guns, but I know they have sway, just look with your eyes. It mostly goes away when upgrading your guns fully.

dsigns1

If you want to play as a team it's best to share executions. If a person downs and executes a guy you only get 2 bullets. If you down the guy and your team mate executes you get 2 bullets and so does your buddy.

This game isn't about killing, its about surviving. The only time you NEED to get executions is when you are doing the missions.

If me and a buddy down 2 guys we swap who we execute to get more bullets and clan supplies. Given this game spawns you with so few bullets, this can make a huge difference and you can save your parts for upgrading your guns.
Didn't know that. All I know is if I down a guy someone will sprint out to steal the kill. I need to stop playing with randoms.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Didn't know that. All I know is if I down a guy someone will sprint out to steal the kill. I need to stop playing with randoms.

Game is more fun if you don't think of it like that.... if you're trying to win, especially against a good opponent, sometimes it's better if a downed player gets killed as fast as possible. Unless you're trying to bait the other team in. And instead of thinking of it as a "steal" think of it more like a donation. Maybe that other guy really sucks and that 75 parts just bought him armor or a weapons upgrade, or some much needed ammo. You are an altruist! lol

Seriously though...

Sometimes steals are accidental, but yeah it is annoying when randoms are little red-handed thieves. It's easy to tell those types.

DoucheVader

Neo Member

The game mode names are telling "Supply Raid" and "Survivor". Neither are called Team Death Match. If you want to survive and out-wit the other team you got to work together. If you are worried about getting executions before you revive you have 100% the wrong mind set.

No one from Naughty Dog will send you a special reward from having the most executions. I promise! :)

Vitanimus

The game mode names are telling "Supply Raid" and "Survivor". Neither are called Team Death Match. If you want to survive and out-wit the other team you got to work together. If you are worried about getting executions before you revive you have 100% the wrong mind set.

No one from Naughty Dog will send you a special reward from having the most executions. I promise! :)

...Or maybe he needs those executions so he doesn't lose 100% of his clan? Wanting executions does not mean that he's being reckless.

Jinjo

Been playing multiplayer a lot more in the past few days. Really like it, but for some reason I was doing better when I started playing than I do now lol. Been playing with my loadouts and currently I'm using the Burst Rifle with Brawler 2, Explosives 2 and a shotgun as personal ordinance (lol) and I'm really liking this loadout (and doing better again too).

Anyone else have some other good loadouts to share? Don't necessarily care about maximizing my partgains to get the most survivors, I just want to do well in the game.

Speaking of which, the metagame is fun in a way, but the challenges really mess with my normal playstyle A LOT (and subsequently I end up sucking in those matches).

Moofers

I'd love to! I'll add you today.

Been playing multiplayer a lot more in the past few days. Really like it, but for some reason I was doing better when I started playing than I do now lol. Been playing with my loadouts and currently I'm using the Burst Rifle with Brawler 2, Explosives 2 and a shotgun as personal ordinance (lol) and I'm really liking this loadout (and doing better again too).

Anyone else have some other good loadouts to share? Don't necessarily care about maximizing my partgains to get the most survivors, I just want to do well in the game.

Speaking of which, the metagame is fun in a way, but the challenges really mess with my normal playstyle A LOT (and subsequently I end up sucking in those matches).

If you want to do well, Covert Training 2 will keep you invisible to listen mode while crouch-walking. I try to always have it unless I'm going for meta-game objectives.

First Aid 1 or 2 are both invaluable. Level 1 because sometimes you need to take cover and heal FAST while the enemy bears down on you. Level 2 because its an easy way to contribute to your team's success and earn parts in the process.

People often forget that parts are for more than just the meta game. They get you armor and weapon upgrades in the store that are invaluable. I always try to stick with 1 loadout per game if I can so that I can fully upgrade weapons ASAP and get that armor when I feel the need. Stuff like Crafter 2 may not seem important to helping you stay off the enemy radar, but the gifts you give teammates get you 100 parts and you spend less time in the backpack. Just like First Aid 1, being able to craft something very quickly when in a jam can really make a difference, especially in Last Man Standing mode.

Silenced Semi-Auto is my weapon of choice, btw. I used to always keep the 9mm for backup, but have recently switched to the revolver. Its just so much more effective up close, which is most often when I tend to need it.

When trying for meta-objectives, I go Revolver only. It frees up the points I need for Craft 2, First Aid 2, Covert Training 2, and Revive 1.

Did anyone experience having their character getting "stuck", I was in a match where my character every time was near a wall he would stop moving,I couldn't do anything more than moving the camera right or left, got killed like 5 times this way, at the end I was kicked from the next match.

The worst part was I was next to the window, the enemies killed one guy and all of them in the small room, I had a molotov and could not throw it. I hit my the control really hard.

Grinchy

Banned
From reddit:

Q: In The Last of Us, will infected be incorporated into multiplayer?

Neil Druckmann's response: "No plans."

Whoa sweet. So there will be a game mode called No Plans where the infected come in waves and you don't have time to plan out your defense? Gonna make a new thread with the new news!

Jinjo

From reddit:

Q: In The Last of Us, will infected be incorporated into multiplayer?

Neil Druckmann's response: "No plans."

Well, to be fair he also said they were only working at SP DLC atm. So multiplayer DLC hasn't started yet, hence the "no plans", but that doesn't mean there never will be an infected mode in multiplayer. I'm on to you Druckmann.

If you want to do well, Covert Training 2 will keep you invisible to listen mode while crouch-walking. I try to always have it unless I'm going for meta-game objectives.

First Aid 1 or 2 are both invaluable. Level 1 because sometimes you need to take cover and heal FAST while the enemy bears down on you. Level 2 because its an easy way to contribute to your team's success and earn parts in the process.

People often forget that parts are for more than just the meta game. They get you armor and weapon upgrades in the store that are invaluable. I always try to stick with 1 loadout per game if I can so that I can fully upgrade weapons ASAP and get that armor when I feel the need. Stuff like Crafter 2 may not seem important to helping you stay off the enemy radar, but the gifts you give teammates get you 100 parts and you spend less time in the backpack. Just like First Aid 1, being able to craft something very quickly when in a jam can really make a difference, especially in Last Man Standing mode.

Silenced Semi-Auto is my weapon of choice, btw. I used to always keep the 9mm for backup, but have recently switched to the revolver. Its just so much more effective up close, which is most often when I tend to need it.

When trying for meta-objectives, I go Revolver only. It frees up the points I need for Craft 2, First Aid 2, Covert Training 2, and Revive 1.

I rolled with Covert Training 2 and Crafter 2 for the longest time before. It netted me some good parts, but I don't have enough loadout points yet to also get an ordinance weapon in it. I actually have a healer-type (first aid & revive) and stealth/snipe-type class set up, but I always end up picking my go-to assault class. Much more fun to play for me personally. I'll try 'em out though, thanks.

Vitanimus

I played a few games with some randoms with a loadout consisting of a revolver, crafter 3, first aid healing 2 and collector 1 and it was glorious. whycaniholdalltheseparts.jpg

Gonna try go for the skull mask now because it's annoying me that I don't have it. :-(

dsigns1

...Or maybe he needs those executions so he doesn't lose 100% of his clan? Wanting executions does not mean that he's being reckless.
Yup. I play the meta game since I'm trying to unlock everything. Also when I say they steal usually it is them sprinting out for a steal which leads to the idiot being shived in the process when he could have just let me finish him off from my safe spot. I mainly play survivor so losing a teammate and finishing off the other player is very important.

Vitanimus

The melee system in multiplayer is stupidly broken. Played a game where in 3 instances where my 2x4 should've killed the other player, but NOPE their 2x4 gets priority over mine. Big sigh.

Top Bottom