• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

By Irrational Games, Valve and Blizzard standards 3.5 years to deliver a game this long and of this quality is efficient.

Lol, yeah some devs iterate differently then others and ND is fortunate enough to only focus on the PS3 which makes it a bit easier then those other devs.

Veggy

I managed to get the Joel Edition from Tesco for £39 thanks to HotUKDeals (other places we're doing it for £60) but the only problem is the few times I bought games from Tesco in the past they've arrived a day AFTER release date

Why can't this game have a normal goddamn release!

Been pretty good about avoiding spoilers - even GAF has been pretty good about it. Just avoid anything that gets posted on IGN, GT, YouTube, Reddit, GameSpot, etc. That's where things get ridiculous with random accounts posting spoilers and such.

antitrop

I wasn't even following BioShock Infinite's developments, and I got the game on Steam two months after its release. Greatly enjoyed it.

I tried to stay away from a lot of Last of Us media, though. Just seems like a game to go into blind.
I've been doing that exact same thing. Before the reviews came out a few days ago all I knew about the game was thematic concepts and ideas. I awaited the game mostly in silence.

Once the reviews came out my hype kicked into full gear, for sure. I am, more or less, going into this game fairly blind.

I wasn't in a media blackout, but I was not actively seeking out information on the game.

RoKKeR

I've been doing that exact same thing. Before the reviews came out a few days ago all I knew about the game was thematic concepts and ideas and I awaited the game mostly in silence.

Once the reviews came out my hype kicked into full gear, for sure. I am, more or less, going into this game fairly blind.

Same here. Hell, I didn't even know if I would be able to play it or not as of today, so now that I know I can my hype is through the roof and I don't know much about the game at all.

AJ_Wings

More like a miracle.

I think it's more to the fact that ND didn't suffer a large number of departures from the core team like say a developer like Irrational did. Heck, the lead artist of TLOU is Nate Wells who was also former Irrational and lead artist on Bioshock Infinite.

Why can't this game have a normal goddamn release!

Seriously. This wait is unbearable with people getting early copies, constant retweets from ND employees on Twitter talking about how the game is so amazing. :|

I still think they should have released the game this past Tuesday. It just makes more sense to me because of E3 being next week, and I doubt people will be talking about TLOU all that much.

MercuryLS

Banned
Got bored, made more avatars.

ibwO08XnMQamCZ.jpg

Can I grab this one?

I wonder which stores will break the street date for this, or if Sony actually locked it down tightly. Sony-published games usually get their street dates broken fairly early from what I've heard.

Same here. Hell, I didn't even know if I would be able to play it or not as of today, so now that I know I can my hype is through the roof and I don't know much about the game at all.
Same
All I know is what I've seen in the trailers
And although a reviews spoiled two important facts about the opening and main plot, I don't what happens. (Avoid the review by Gamerliving)

This is the first game in a long time where I haven't spoiled the plot yet. The hype about the story is just too good.
---

What is the best site to what the E3 reveals live? Like one without a chat?

Most games release on Friday here in the UK. It's annoying to wait 3 days longer than you guys.

I think you can suffer with us, just this once :)

Its not the Friday release that bothers me, its the early reviews (tease), leaks (spoilers), post E3, broken street dates, etc. Did ND really benefit from the month delay? Could they not have made it June 7th, would have solved all my problems :p

Superflat

I wasn't even following BioShock Infinite's developments, and I got the game on Steam two months after its release. Greatly enjoyed it.

Same, I wasn't even hyped when I had the damn thing loading on my PC. Then it quickly shot up to one of my favorite gaming experiences this year.

On the other hand, I've been waiting for TLOU for almost 2 years, with no diminishing hype. If it can live up to my expectations I'll be damn impressed.

gadwn

8 hours in. I love the combat so much. Makes me wanna have shootouts instead of sneaking past the enemies.

The animation work - especially while fighting - is on a another level than anything I have seen before. And some of the cut-scenes looks scary lifelike with that extra added IQ.

Ghazi

I want to get this game so bad, but I don't want to be there if it turns out terrible...

Every single time I've ever purchased a game at launch at full price I've been burned (excluding Halo and Dark Souls)

Loakum

Banned
I just hope the PSN digital release of The Last of Us goes a hell of alot better than the PSN digital release of The Last of Us demo...

AJ_Wings

I want to get this game so bad, but I don't want to be there if it turns out terrible...

Every single time I've ever purchased a game at launch at full price I've been burned (excluding Halo and Dark Souls)

In terms of gameplay and polish, it pretty much lives up to the hype. Shockingly so.

I'm trying to stay dark on the game, but I wanted to ask: are the digital pre-order bonuses (increased crafting/healing speed, Etc.) optional or do they take effect no matter what?

8 hours in. I love the combat so much. Makes me wanna have shootouts instead of sneaking past the enemies.

The animation work - especially while fighting - is on a another level than anything I have seen before. And some of the cut-scenes looks scary lifelike with that extra added IQ.
What is IQ?

---
And do you have cool moments with the enemy AI? I really want to hear how smart or dynamic the Balance of Power AI is

nib95

Banned
Just realised I have not read any negative or non glowing impressions of this game yet, from anyone. This is not how this usually works lol.

So anyone with the game know if you have any behind the scenes videos on there like the UC games?

And anyone know how we can get that documentary that Area5 did for this game?

Image quality. How aesthetically pleasing the image is to your eye. Issues that would negatively affect IQ would be things like jaggies (aliasing), poor antialiasing implementation (blurry FXAA), low native resolutions (goes with jaggies), etc. Or even poor implementation of effects like motion blur or chromatic aberration can cause unsatisfactory IQ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_quality

Does Last of Us use MLAA or something else?

Top Bottom