• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've just got to the start of
Winter

Met up with
David and am now in a high room at the top of the building, and am getting annihilated by the rush of runners/clickers and a bloater. I've got bugger all health, hardly any ammo and get fucked up by the second wave that arrives just before the bloater.

What is the best tactic here? Playing on Hard, 15 hours thus far. Any pointers would be great.

thanks

Stay in the hallway instead of the big open room which leaves you open to clickers. Let David stun them for you to line up a shot. I had a bomb here which I nailed the bloater with, then I used the rest of my ammo on it.

Hardest part of the game for me.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Agghh... I'm dying to play survivor, but my brother still has the game.... I never replay games either, I wanted to immediately start up again after it was over.

meep!

Neo Member
Beat the game this morning. Best. Game. Ever! Seriously it's amazing how well everything in the game work together, it has such high productionvalues on every part of the game. Took me around 23 hours to beat, alot of that time was spent looking at the beautiful environment and getting inspired by the incredible texturework.

The scene towards the end
where you run into the giraffes is possibly the most beautiful moment I've experienced in gaming history

Now I get what all the fuss was about with them
giraffes
. That was a lovely scene.

97%, 17h30 min. These last 17% went rather fast :/ Sucks that the game is ending soon, but I'll save it for tomorrow.

Did you take a 4 hour shit with the game running? It took a little over 18 hours for me on Hard not rushing and getting my ass kicked for a bit during the
first and second bloater encounters

Regardless, I'm jels that you are only 23% in...lucky soul.

It's Dennis, it was 1 hour playing, 9 taking pictures.

The_Monk

I'm sorry :(

I'm still at 68%! :D I love this game so much that I like...don't want to play it so it doesn't end haha.

I think I'm at 61% or 67% fellow GAFfer. No way I'm in a rush. This game will last one more week at least.

Playing it on Hard and trying to save every item and bullet I can because I know I really going to need them...

raindoc

I've just got to the start of
Winter

Met up with
David and am now in a high room at the top of the building, and am getting annihilated by the rush of runners/clickers and a bloater. I've got bugger all health, hardly any ammo and get fucked up by the second wave that arrives just before the bloater.

What is the best tactic here? Playing on Hard, 15 hours thus far. Any pointers would be great.

thanks

on "Survivor" i took out the first wave mostly with melee kills after David stunned them.
When the two Runners dropped from the roof I moved to the upper level and threw a nailbomb onto the swarmed David, cleaned up with the Hunting rifle.
The Runners drop quite a bit of ammo for the Hunting rifle, so let the first wave come close for you to reload.
Nailbomb (at least the resources) and Molotov (cupboard on the upper level) should be in the room, IIRC.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Agghh... I'm dying to play survivor, but my brother still has the game.... I never replay games either, I wanted to immediately start up again after it was over.

Survivor has been a challenge... they give you nothing. lol

I've been able to hoard important resources by mainly stealthing and melee fighting wherever possible, but yeah... it's tense at times.

I feel like the enemies can absorb more damage in Survivor, unless you're right in their face. At first, this bothered me, having such low supplies and the enemies absorbing shotgun blasts. But then I realized if you get uncomfortably close to them, they go down same as any other mode. A few meters away and the clickers can take 4-5 shotgun blasts. But right up in their face it's one and done.

I realized that if you upgrade your health with pills, it completely fills you life bar (something that would normally exhaust two health kits). So I've been holding a upgrade in the bank as a back-up first aid method, and crafting Molotovs instead of health kits. I also only craft shivs with the blades (for the locked doors) and don't waste blades on anything else. And I never use the shivs on enemies. Just not enough blades in the game to waste shivs on enemies.

This has been very fun so far... but I have to admit, I've died quite a bit more than I did on hard.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I've been able to hoard important resources by mainly stealthing and melee fighting wherever possible, but yeah... it's tense at times.

I feel like the enemies can absorb more damage in Survivor, unless you're right in their face. At first, this bothered me, having such low supplies and the enemies absorbing shotgun blasts. But then I realized if you get uncomfortably close to them, they go down same as any other mode. A few meters away and the clickers can take 4-5 shotgun blasts. But right up in their face it's one and done.

I realized that if you upgrade your health with pills, it completely fills you life bar (something that would normally exhaust two health kits). So I've been holding a upgrade in the bank as a back-up first aid method, and crafting Molotovs instead of health kits. I also only craft shivs with the blades (for the locked doors) and don't waste blades on anything else. And I never use the shivs on enemies. Just not enough blades in the game to waste shivs on enemies.

This has been very fun so far... but I have to admit, I've died quite a bit more than I did on hard.

I did the same thing with hoarding my pills as a free heal. Need to play this asap

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
And credits.

The greatest game I've played in 16 years.

I agree. I took a couple days to think about it, and I'm pretty comfortable saying it's the best game I've ever played. Hit all the right notes. Tone was amazing. Combat was thrilling. Solid games writing with very good performances.

Had a few warts, but what doesn't.

Finished this yesterday. Great game, I can't remember how many times I had my neck ripped out.

Literally had my heart racing at parts.

To think Naughty Dog have another 160 people working up something for the PS4. It will be glorious.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've played around 5 hours. It's very unique for whatever repetitive mechanics they used. I am really enjoying it. I thought I understood the plot by watching the reveal trailer, gameplay videos, and etc. But it really caught me off guard. And its something you really appreciate after playing through game A and game B. I have taken a few breaks. Its an excellent game, but do to the hot summer days I've been playing for a few hours then calling it good for the day.

So I am currently a while into my bumper play session i'd be lying if I said the game isn't getting any better because it is but not a lot better. Though I do have high hopes for it. I am currently at the part when
the truck starts shooting you and you ahve to make your way through the buildings.
. I stick to my guns though and have to say the infected are some of the worst enemies ever in a game especially the clickers, thankfully the humans are a lot more fun to fight.

Rising_Hei

I have played a few hours already, and i can say that...

Low IQ? bad framerate? really? this game is the most impressive thing i've seen this gen so far... i think that most people is biased because the next gen is around the corner and we are used to see games running on good PCs... but this is the most advanced piece of tech visually speaking there is on console, and i haven't had a single drop in framerate when gameplay matters

I've played around 5 hours. It's very unique for whatever repetitive mechanics they used. I am really enjoying it. I thought I understood the plot by watching the reveal trailer, gameplay videos, and etc. But it really caught me off guard. And its something you really appreciate after playing through game A and game B. I have had taken a few breaks. Its an excellent game, but do to the hot summer days I've been playing for a few hours then calling it good for the day.

Haha yes. They edited those trailers perfectly. Nothing was what it seemed.

Finished this yesterday. Great game, I can't remember how many times I had my neck ripped out.

Literally had my heart racing at parts.

To think Naughty Dog have another 160 people working up something for the PS4. It will be glorious.

Imagine Uncharted on PS4 with the semi-sandbox levels, the more sophisticated story, and the greater emphasis on exploration that TLOU had

PrimeRib_

The first 15 minutes, I thought maybe I had to "unlock" listen mode until I realized it was purposely disabled for this mode. I'm about 70% complete at this point - key battles have been incredibly tense with limited ammo and tougher enemies. I think so far, I've never had more than 15 bullets (for all guns). Just a few minutes ago, I was playing a scene and realized every single gun had one bullet. And 4-5 hunters inbound. This mode is no joke.

Biggest d'oh moment was in following a guide for the comic book trophy, realizing one I needed was behind a shiv door (which I couldn't make). Will. Not. Make. The. Same. Mistake. Twice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sorry to be persistent with this question, but uh, hey: I just left "The Dam", how far, percentage-wise, am I through the game?

Completed it.

Hell of a ride. Outside of a few mechanical (sometimes wonky enemy AIs) and technical issues (glitches, texture pop ups), this game was fantastic. Often, cinematic driven experiences can be more style than substance but I think with this game, a better than usual balance of the two was achieved. I don't think any specific element about this game is earth shattering per se, but the way everything comes together; the gorgeous locations, the pleasant pacing and well delivered/times dialogues, the varied set pieces and options afforded to you in many encounters, the consistently high production values, the characterisation, they're all in near perfect harmony. The experience felt cohesive, memorable and whole and the ending leaves a quite a bit to ponder on. Very well done Naughty Dogs.

PrimeRib_

sorry to be persistent with this question, but uh, hey: I just left "The Dam", how far, percentage-wise, am I through the game?

You can check by going to options, "load game" and hovering over the last autosave. It tells you in percentage, how far you are.

Go to Options, then Load Game. Linger on your most recent save and you'll see both your completion percentage and time played

Fair play on survivor this is the hardest thing I have played since demon souls
What are you up to? I just met up with
Henry/Sam
and overall I've found it much more tense and tactical than my Hard playthrough. Due to a lack of resources, I've found you have to stay on the move and really improvise on the fly.

Survivor is the best way to experience the game, gameplay-wise.

DoomGyver

What are you up to? I just met up with
Henry/Sam
and overall I've found it much more tense and tactical than my Hard playthrough. Due to a lack of resources, I've found you have to stay on the move and really improvise on the fly.

Survivor is the best way to experience the game, gameplay-wise.

I finished survivor last night, by far the hardest section for me was the
Will shoot on sight area, because I had absolutely nothing to fight with and only 25% health. I had to use stealth to kill just for the chance of maybe 3 revolver rounds.
My survivor time complete was only 5 minutes more than on hard. ~14 hours

I just beat game on normal. Was owning by end. Should I do Hard or Survival next?
Survivor....I played first on Hard, but due to the lack of supplies and ammo, Survivor just feels like the truest TLOU experience IMO

Like I entered the
Pittsburgh checkpoint/bookstore
with 1 rifle round, 2 shotgun rounds, one arrow, 2 revolver rounds, a half shiv, and that's it. No medkits, not enough supplies to craft anything

So intense, you really have to change up your tactics

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Looking at the chapter select, I missed a ton of stuff. I thought I was being thorough too! For that I'm doing NG+ before survivor.

Also, I missed a training manual at Bill. The shiv upgrade apparently? No wonder I had to use so many resources on them.

I finished survivor last night, by far the hardest section for me was the
Will shoot on sight area, because I had absolutely nothing to fight with and only 25% health. I had to use stealth to kill just for the chance of maybe 3 revolver rounds.
My survivor time complete was only 5 minutes more than on hard. ~14 hours
Really? I'm 50% through on Survivor and I'm already been playing an hour longer than my Hard playthrough. That's probably because I taking my time to plan out my tactics more and because I'm spending more time exploring and just soaking in the visuals and atmosphere

TheCloser

Banned
So i thought i'd take my time and pick up the last of us later this week. I called just about every store in the city of Saskatoon and the whole city is sold out. Wow, is the game that good?

So i thought i'd take my time and pick up the last of us later this week. I called just about every store in the city of Saskatoon and the whole city is sold out. Wow, is the game that good?

Yes, yes, yes. 110% amazing. I never had a game affect me such a way. Very few movies or books can get me to care about the characters in the way that The Last of Us did. Not even TT's The Walking Dead got me as emotionally invested. My chest was tight and I had butterflies in my stomach in some moments. The story is that good IMO

And that's just the narrative. The combat is violent and intense and the atmosphere is incredible,

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Can anyone speak on whether the soundtrack is worth a purchase? I loved it in-game, but seeing a load of 1-2 minute tracks always takes the wind out of my soundtrack excitement. Don't want another poorly edited audio dump that doesn't work out of context.

Mikey Jr.

Hahahaha, Ellie just took out 3 bad guys by herself.

There were 3 guys in close proximity to each other in a room, so I bolted, but I guess Ellie got stuck in there, so she just fucked all 3 of them up. She just kept jumping on their backs, stabbing them.

It was the most hilarious thing I saw in this game, but also awesome. Wish this was on the PS4 so I could have recorded it....

Hahahaha, Ellie just took out 3 bad guys by herself.

There were 3 guys in close proximity to each other in a room, so I bolted, but I guess Ellie got stuck in there, so she just fucked all 3 of them up. She just kept jumping on their backs, stabbing them.

It was the most hilarious thing I saw in this game, but also awesome. Wish this was on the PS4 so I could have recorded it....

Yo, spoiler tag your original post.

Top Bottom