• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Superflat

So last year Dolan concluded everything was Uncharted. What are the chances that at E3 2014 everything will be The Last of Us?

I guess we need to see the sales first.

I think it'd be a similar situation that happened after Uncharted 2 where publishers push devs to copy the most superficial aspects of the most talked things about that game. Elaborate set-piece explosions during gameplay was the take-away that time, where what they really should have been looking at was creating gameplay scenarios that other games weren't doing as much.

At the same time, the stuff praised in TLOU are much more nuanced and subtle for studios to try to incorporate into their games because it has so much to do with extremely complex AI programming, and creating a well-developed tone and atmosphere. It's definitely not as easy to copy as "run forward while explosions happen".

iNvid02

I hate myself for watching both Demon Souls and Dark Souls on a live stream. I never played those games .... i will make sure that won't happen again with Dark Souls 2.

nonono. you need to rectify that shit immediately son

at the very least get yourself dark souls to play over the summer

antitrop

I'm 90% sure that The Last of Us will be the new number 1.

1. Bioshock
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
4. The Darkness
5. Metro: Last Light

The Darkness does not get enough appreciation!

I don't know if I would even put it in my Top 10 for the entire gen, but I definitely think it's one of the better FPSs and one of the most overlooked games of the gen.

Except for the World War 1 part. Damn does that part really drag the game down.

I hate myself for watching both Demon Souls and Dark Souls on a live stream. I never played those games .... i will make sure that won't happen again with Dark Souls 2.

You're dead to me....

Seriously, one of the best new franchises ever. Dark Souls is such a well crafted piece of art. There is enough game and story in Dark Souls 1 alone to fill a trilogy

The Darkness does not get enough appreciation!

I don't know if I would even put it in my Top 10 for the entire gen, but I definitely think it's one of the better FPSs and one of the most overlooked games of the gen.

Except for the World War 1 part. Damn does that part really drag the game down.

Best love story this gen by a mile too

DukeBobby

I haven't found the time to really get into Dark Souls, even though I've had the PC version for a while. Also, with my shitty internet, GFWL is a massive hindrance.

I did enjoy Demon's Souls, although not as much as everyone else did.

Superflat

My off-the-top-of-my-head top 5 right now in no real order:

Dark Souls
Uncharted 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Bioshock Infinite
Journey

... I think. This thread moves so fast :O

bu ...but i've already seen the whole game ...

That does sort of sully the experience a bit cos you won't be as amazed by all the little shortcuts and hidden shit now. Shame on you.But you should still play it.

it's one of the very few games I wish I could play from start to finish again completely fresh

iNvid02

bu ...but i've already seen the whole game ...

dammit, i had to go back and re-read what you wrote lol, i just saw "i never played those games "

urging people to rectify that is a reflex now. i would still recommend playing it

Dark Souls is a game about gameplay.

What you're saying to me reads the same as "But I've already seen all of Super Mario Bros!".

What does that have to do with playing it? :p

That does sort of sully the experience a bit cos you won't be as amazed by all the little shortcuts and hidden shit now. Shame on you.But you should still play it.

it's one of the very few games I wish I could play from start to finish again completely fresh

true, its all about the gameplay. it sucks you into its world and its just engrossing

antitrop

I own Demon's Souls, but I've never played more than the first section. I do technically have a fresh Souls experience waiting for me, but I couldn't go back to 720p/30fps after playing the Prepare to Durante edition of Dark Souls.

The weird thing is TLoU is confirmed to be at E3. I mean what do they want to show? MP? i have seen enough of this game. I hope they just have the game on the show floor and not a presentation.

I'm guessing the launch trailer. A new gameplay segment seems less likely but still possible. MP has never been the focus so I doubt they'd use their precious E3 time for that.

Koralsky

Ok, most of the experienced players should play this game on hard - it's a different experience, where the fear of death and survival elements are on another level. On hard TLoU is just challenging, quite challenging, but in a good way.

The game wants from you to be more clever, more powerful, more careful. I'm quite sure that i'll fight for Platinum trophy, because the gameplay is just amazing.

I own Demon's Souls, but I've never played more than the first section. I do technically have a fresh Souls experience waiting for me, but I couldn't go back to 720p/30fps after playing the Prepare to Durante edition of Dark Souls.

I have yet to play demon's due to the "not having a PS3 at the time" issue so I might have to go pick that up, I hear PSN+ is a great investment.

So many people have told me Demon's is much better than dark but I think that's the Sony hipster fanboy talking more than critical thinking.

720p/30fps is very hard to bear after the beauty of Durante's work

Also look what you did... you turned this into a GOTG list thread :p

Very good game and one of the best of last year but not substantial enough to have that sway over me

Now best soundtrack this gen? you could be onto something

The whole 80's theme and neon soaked colours is exactly my cup of tea. Of course the soundtrack is fantastic I still regularly listen to it. Its as if the devs reached into my head and made a game out of everything I like.

The whole 80's theme and neon soaked colours is exactly my cup of tea. Of course the soundtrack is fantastic I still regularly listen to it. Its as if the devs reached into my head and made a game out of everything I like.

I imagine you enjoyed FC3 Blood Dragon greatly then?

It felt like a 3D Hotline Miami in many ways. Similar vibe and almost an identical soundtrack

EDIT: Now I'm listening to Hydrogen from the HM soundtrack lol. Dat Bass

creyas

But for a game of its kind you don't really have a definitive last 1/3. I mean the DLC was my last 1/3 technically and that was far from half baked

Yeah it's necessary to consider how you look at the game. I'm pretty much just interested in story playthroughs; it didn't hurt that much the first time, but on repeat runs it really eats away at the game for me. The very end being up to snuff covered for a lot of it the first time.

1. Bayonetta
2. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
3. Rayman Origins
4. Super Street Fighter 4
5. Team Fortress 2

Outside Bayonetta, there's probably 25 other games I could slot in here

I really don't like Demon/Dark Souls

1, Uncharted 2
2. RDR
3. Far Cry 3
4. Dark Souls
5. The Walking Dead

Honorable mentions for State of Decay and GTA 4

I really hope TLOU can soon be my number one. Gritty realistic apocalyptic fiction, zombies, open ended gameplay with tons of replayability, an engrossing narrative, a bleak fully realized world, smart AI...it has everything I love in a game

antitrop

1. Bayonetta
2. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
3. Rayman Origins
4. Super Street Fighter 4
5. Team Fortress 2

Outside Bayonetta, there's probably 25 other games I could slot in here

I really don't like Demon/Dark Souls
Bayonetta is one of the only games I've finished more than once this generation. What a damn fine action game.

Devil May Cry 4 and Spec Ops: The Line are the only others that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not the type to replay games.

Leeness

My top 5 for the gen...hm... It's so hard D:

Journey
Portal 2
Bioshock Infinite
The Walking Dead
Xenoblade

Maybe...? Does Mother 3 still count? I see it count half the time. I dunno, other things like Assassin's Creed 2 trilogy, PoP08, Ghost Trick and many others could be in there... There's been a lot of awesome games this gen.

I'm pretty pretty certain this will end up as one of my favourites though. I'M DYING FROM WAIT.

Ok, most of the experienced players should play this game on hard - it's a different experience, where the fear of death and survival elements are on another level. On hard TLoU is just challenging, quite challenging, but in a good way.

The game wants from you to be more clever, more powerful, more careful. I'm quite sure that i'll fight for Platinum trophy, because the gameplay is just amazing.
I love the sound of this. Is it that same type of Dark Souls challenging, where you have be careful and cautious and smart or die?

I imagine you enjoyed FC3 Blood Dragon greatly then?

It felt like a 3D Hotline Miami in many ways. Similar vibe and almost an identical soundtrack

I was really excited for it because in theory as you say it looked like a 3D Hotline Miami but honesty the filter was ugly and the gameplay and story boring. Simply tries too hard wheras Hotline Miami was effortless. Though I did love the soundtrack.

ampere

I was expecting a really overdone PR style OP, but I am very pleasantly surprised.

Great OP, but I'm going to avoid reading the thread much as I want to play the game with as little info about it as possible.

SaberVulcan

Anyone here able to find a place I can buy the PS3 bundle w/ Last of Us that delivers outside of EU? Anywhere I look wont ship overseas, and things are looking grim for it coming to North America by release.

Darkgran

I have been neglecting my PS3 for far too long. I have missed out on some great exclusives..

Going to start giving it some love with this game and then jump into some of the older ones later.

Emwitus

My games of the gen:

1) Metal gear solid 4
2) Uncharted 1/2
3) Gran turismo 5 (out of necessity since there's no competition for my att here)

Not surprisingly, those are the only games i've bought this gen too.

Yup.

My best games EVER?

1) Metal gear solid 3
2) Ocarina of time
3) Metal gear solid 1
4) Metal gear solid 4
5) Uncharted 1/2

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Bricks are quieter and more aerodynamic. #teambrick

Welcome fellow Melee Mason! Bricks are as abundant as bottles in TLOU and I guarantee you won't regret this decision. Once you go brick you'll never go back.

Just tap the D-Pad to reveal that sexy little Lego-looking block icon and i guarantee you will know comfort in this bleak, dystopian, post-apocalyptic world.

PLUS, brick in hand, you are just a few taps of the square button away from cracking that chunk 'o' manly masonry upside some poor fools head, be they plague infected or garden variety homosapien.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a call to action! If you're going to play TLOU you *must* pledge your allegiance to #teambrick!

This game feels nothing like Uncharted imho. The bullet impact and the sound effects are much much better. Still takes to many bullets to down a enemy though.

That's good to hear. I didn't mind so much the insane amount of enemy health. It was the incredibly unsatisfying bullets, sound effects and physics that ruined it for me.

Top Bottom