• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

ksdixon

I can play Factions MP just fine, but when trying to purcahse the new scoped weapons via the game (can't find them on the store itself) it says PSN is currently under maintenance (PS3).

Managed to get into the MP lobby, but matchmaking took aaaaages. Turned my PS4 off after 10 minutes of waiting.

All I want to do is play some MP. Sigh....

ksdixon

I am loving this new loadout I've put together:
Enforcer,
Damage Marker 1,
Hawk Eyed 3,
Scavenger 2,
with 2 points left over that I can't decide what to put them into.

Damage Marker 1 marks people as you shoot them. So not only do you get the drop on an opponent, but you mark them for your team mates. Since I also run Hawk Eyed, the person glows for the whole team too. The act of not having to press R3 to mark the opponent is especially good for me, since R3 is also the camera, and a lot of the time I accidentally move the camera as I'm marking someone and by the time I've realigned it the person has ducked behind cover.

Hawk Eyed 3 makes the person glow instead of just having an arrow over their heads. This is especially helpful if the opponent does duck behind cover, as we can see if they are bandaging themselves, getting revived, reloading etc. Of course Hawk Eyed at Level 3 actually marks any opposing teammates who're stood near the guy you marked, so sometimes you are able to light-up the entire enemy team at once and all your team can see them.

Scavenger 2 makes me automatically pick-up the blue supplies that enemies drop when I down and execute them. I HATE having to pick these up manually, since sometimes they are thrown a fair way away from the downed body, even through walls so they're outside a building when you killed someone inside. It makes for stupid errors when you're hunting around for blue supplies, sometimes getting killed in teh process. Now I just run over to the dead body and I automatically pick them up. No need to even stop running.

All this not having to stop and mark, or stop and collect blue supplies, not having a massive recoil when shooting (revolver), and not having a gun with weak-ass damage (9mm pistol) allows me to be far more reactive, and I find I play much more aggressively.

My remaining 2 points I keep going back and forth on. Really anything works, I guess. At the moment I'm rocking SharpShooter 1. But if I had just two more loadout points I'd LOVE to put First Aid 2 on there so I could bandage my teamates.

9mm Pistol
Damage Marker 1,
Hawk Eyed 2,
Scavenger 2,
First Aid Training 2

... I also ended-up re-jigging my remaining loadout points by going down to Hawk Eyed 2 and swapping the gun to the 9mm pistol in the end. This gave me the 4 loadout points in order to have First Aid Training 2 (bandage my teammates). Whilst DM1, HE2 and Scavenger2 still allow me to play aggressively, the FAT2 allows me to also help out my teammates as well. Overall this is a very nice all-round loadout that has become my main.

aggressivesupport_zpse555bd93.png

I call this my "Aggressive Support" loadout.

At the moment I'm trying to re-train myself to get used to playing without Scavenger 2 (automatic blue supply pickup). Whilst I love as it gets rid of a major inconvenience, it's simply too many loadout points to spend. I have replaced it with Revivor 3, and now I can be even more able to contribute to the team when I can bandage/revive people quicker. DM1 and HE2 still keep me playing offensively as well though. This is probably the best I can get this loadout to where I can play aggressively and support teammates to the best of my abilities.

I call this my "I Know All" loadout, as the skills are geared towards letting me know where the enemy is.

I'm currently testing-out the new Variable Rifle (essentially a Scoped Enforcer), if I find I don't like it those 2 loadout points would instead be used to bump Sharp Ears to level 3 again, and change 9mm into Enforcer.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I think the maintenance is scheduled to last until midnight eastern time also. Gonna be a bummer not being able to play tonight. I can get into the find match screen but just looks for games continually. Guess going to play offline madden then.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I think the maintenance is scheduled to last until midnight eastern time also. Gonna be a bummer not being able to play tonight. I can get into the find match screen but just looks for games continually. Guess going to play offline madden then.

It's supposed to end at 7:50 PM Eastern.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
It's supposed to end at 7:50 PM Eastern.

Did it change, which I hope it did? Because from what Sony put out it was lasting until 05:00 BST (British Summer Time) which makes it midnight Eastern Time.

"Mondays PSN Maintenance has been rescheduled for tomorrow, Thursday 28th August from 16:00 until Friday 29th August 05:00 BST"

sense

Man I hate when a new guy kills a guy in interrogation. I am like WTF r u doing. If you are going to try out a mode at least know what the objective is.

BadHand

I've been playing for an hour so far and haven't managed to play a single game from the beginning.

1. Enter into half played game on the losing side 2. game ends 3. thrown out of lobby, 4. rinse, repeat.

Really frustrating.

Grinchy

Banned
any chance they remove the 2 hunter/firefly mp trophies? this mp just aint my cup of tea and i really want the platinum

Seriously, play with people from GAF. You don't even have to be on a good team and not only will it be more fun to play, but you'll win most of the time too. Communication goes a long way in this game.

Jeramii

Banned
Me gib and Kilgore have a slot. Add me: Jeramii

Spot was claimed. Add me, and if a spot opens I'll throw an invitation your way.

Thoughts/opinions on:

1) Variable Rifle?
2) Scoped Semi?
3) Scoped Burst?
4) Scoped Assault Rifle? (lol)

Man, I wish the Assault Rifle was more common. I mean, I like the balance of the game just fine, but it seems unusual that it doesn't even have a silencer option. I've been meaning to switch to it just for fun.

In terms of popularity: Semi > Hunting Rifle > Burst. All three weapons also seem to have a pretty good balance between each other.

I wonder how the Variable will fit into all of this...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, finally finished the Firefly side. Done with the multiplayer before the multiplayer gets even worse with pay-for buffed weapons. Huzzah. Now I can focus on the singleplayer and get my damn platinum. >_> No thanks to Naughty Dog.

Thoughts/opinions on:

1) Variable Rifle?

Pay for. Extremely good until Naughty Dog either nerfs or rebalances weapons (along with the Hunting Rifle. 2 shot buff, really?).

Can be used in CQC (with no zoom) or long range (zoom). 4 shots to the chest will down, 1-2 shots to the head will down. Then proceed to pump one or two more rounds in to execute. It's a semi-auto IIRC, so you can fire it as fast as you squeeze the trigger. So long as you aren't in hit wobble, you can win 99% of battles.

I've been playing for an hour so far and haven't managed to play a single game from the beginning.

1. Enter into half played game on the losing side 2. game ends 3. thrown out of lobby, 4. rinse, repeat.

Really frustrating.

same. I've been on the same day for nearly 90 minutes. this is ridiculous.

Thoughts/opinions on:

1) Variable Rifle?
2) Scoped Semi?
3) Scoped Burst?

1) seems pretty over-powered so far. Been killed by it really fast. As in it kills faster than a semi-auto

2-4) really just feels like the vanilla weapon with a better zoom function IMO. Scoped burst feels a little OP though. Easy headshots with scopes

Thoughts/opinions on:

1) Variable Rifle?
2) Scoped Semi?
3) Scoped Burst?

Man, I wish the Assault Rifle was more common. I mean, I like the balance of the game just fine, but it seems unusual that it doesn't even have a silencer option. I've been meaning to switch to it just for fun.

In terms of popularity: Semi > Hunting Rifle > Burst. All three weapons also seem to have a pretty good balance between each other.

I wonder how the Variable will fit into all of this...
Haven't tried the other weapons yet, but the VR seems like an inferior version of the Enforcer. Costs more to upgrade, and takes more points to use a silencer.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I have one terrible weekend of shit with the family that keeps me from getting on and there's a Variable rifle added to the game??

How is it????

Hunting Rifle never needed that buff.

Nah, totally did. It's not the best weapon for close-mid due to forced scoping and the draw speed making it difficult to use without getting shot. Then there's the single-shot magazine capacity which ensures the enemy will dive for cover before the next shot.

Yet for what difficulty there was, the rewards simply weren't worth it. Two Semi-Auto shots or one full burst from the Burst Rifle would be easier and more damaging, damage leading to follow-up vulnerability when the enemy dives for cover. Not only could they follow-up with themselves, but should the need for a handgun arise (Perhaps they're running low and need to use the handgun in case a second enemy comes), the handgun would be an effective option. The Semi-Auto can be followed up by a Revolver shot or Shorty blast, the Burst Rifle can follow up with two Pistol shots or a Shorty blast at a closer range. Meanwhile, the Hunting Rifle can't follow-up with itself. It has to follow up with two Revolver shots, three Pistol shots, or a Shorty blast at a real close range. These options suck. Hell, it'd make more sense to roll with the Enforcer than the Revolver, but that'd mean Naughty Dog would be forcing pay-to-win bullshit on you.

The Hunting Rifle buff merely puts it on the same level as the Semi-Auto in terms of follow-up vulnerability. Considering the Hunting Rifle's reliance on handguns to finish, it's a very welcome buff.

Welp, finally finished the Firefly side. Done with the multiplayer before the multiplayer gets even worse with pay-for buffed weapons. Huzzah. Now I can focus on the singleplayer and get my damn platinum. >_> No thanks to Naughty Dog.

Pay for. Extremely good until Naughty Dog either nerfs or rebalances weapons (along with the Hunting Rifle. 2 shot buff, really?).

Can be used in CQC (with no zoom) or long range (zoom). 4 shots to the chest will down, 1-2 shots to the head will down. Then proceed to pump one or two more rounds in to execute. It's a semi-auto IIRC, so you can fire it as fast as you squeeze the trigger. So long as you aren't in hit wobble, you can win 99% of battles.

Um, it was always a 2-shot weapon.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The weapons in this game are balanced very well. Even the new DLC weapons. It's impressive.

I would say maybe the only OP weapon is the enforcer. And I'm hesitant to even say that.

There's lots of stuff ND missed on, but weapon balance is pretty damn good. I would love for them to release some more weapon skins. Basically weapons that have the same performance, but look cool. Like some WWII era weapons, and cool modern weapons. But keep the stats basically the same as existing weapons, So people don't cry about it.

I would love for mollies and bombs to get nerfed to hell. Probably won't ever happen, but I think it'd change the game for the better.

And I want bricks and bottles to occasionally come out of supply boxes. I miss the environmental melee kills. I can understand why they didn't do them in mp, but I bet they would work if you had to stun an opponent first. So if you stunned them with a b/b throw, you could set up the running melee. And as a distraction, a b/b throw would show up on the radar.

Speaking of melee, this game desperately needs a little more depth in hand to hand. Giving a counter would do wonders. Letting players holding melee weapons block (degrading the weapon each time) would be a good start. And melee should cost stamina. Brawler users would have a stamina buff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
b/b for stunning and then allowing a frontal shiv (like smoke bombs) would be good - the accuracy needed would be much more difficult than with a smoke bomb so I think that wouldn't be OP. Also using a brick as a melee weapon would work well, even if it only has the same impact as a 2x4 - i.e not a one hit kill.

Top Bottom