• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered MP |OT| For the love of god please stop running.

the majority of gaffers that played TLoU moved on a long time ago.
Åesop;136906252 said:
Pff casuals ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
Good thing ND catered to them.

I don't feel the weapons are OP, I just feel that taking away some weapons and traits in a game where the online is made to style weapons and traits based on what you're best at as a disgusting practice.
Fair enough. I guess it's a matter of principles for you.

wowlace

More powerful? All the DLC weapons are technically weaker than the stock weapons. Enforcer takes 5 shots to down, revolver takes 3. The variable rifle takes 4 shots to down, the semi auto takes 3. And the full auto takes 5 shots to down.

I have also played hundreds of hours in this game, I can honestly say that the DLC weapons are just fine and in no way OP.

I agree. The enforcer is a fun weapon but no OP. In fact I have just started using the bow and after a few learning matches I started doing really well with it. I think it is probably the closest to OP weapon in game. I never found myself out of bows either.

edit; As I have said prior, I am still playing Factions and will be for the foreseeable future. Hit me up psn - wowlace if you need a party member. Only really one person on my FL that still plays so I would love some gaffers to party up with. I prefer interrogations but will roll in any mode.

HardRojo

I haven't played a single MP match in TLoU Remastered (played a fair amount on the PS3 version) but I'd be down for some matches with other GAFfers, I might fuck up since it's been a while but it'd be cool to pick the game back up with people who I know won't be assholes :D

I'll have some free time tomorrow.

Gray Matter

Why don't you just pay the shitty microtransactions and stop complaining!! Great logic mate, you should start working as PR for the big companies who also don't understand why gamers get mad when game companies bend them over. I'm not being put as a disadvantage by people that are better than me, I and others had had parts of the games removed that should absolutely be there. Stop trying to shoehorn bullshit implications when you quote when I never implied or stated such a thing, ok champ?

I don't feel the weapons are OP, I just feel that taking away some weapons and traits in a game where the online is made to style weapons and traits based on what you're best at as a disgusting practice.

Hey man, I hate microtransactions as much as the next guy. But the complaining about the weapons and perks being OP is just fucking ridiculous. People asked for new weapons and perks and we got them, for a price that's fair. So of you're gonna complain about being at a disadvantage if you doing have the DLC, either get better at the game with the stock weapons or buy the DLC plain and simple.

Haha, too early for me and I've only had one coffee. You know what I mean.

I've been waiting for ages to use wild card on you, so cheers.

Also, I should never have traded this game in... I miss the MP even though I was absolute shite at it. Is the matchmaking working better now?

wowlace

I've been waiting for ages to use wild card on you, so cheers.

Also, I should never have traded this game in... I miss the MP even though I was absolute shite at it. Is the matchmaking working better now?

I feel like the MM is worse now only because the limited player pool. Massive drop off since Destiny hit.

Maybe dropping the bow mid fire fight would be cool? I wonder what the MP would be like if you could pick up enemy weapons like in COD?

tumblr_inline_n8rs8m6s9W1sey3ej.gif

Gray Matter

I think I'm done with this game. None of my friends play this anymore and finding another group of people to play with ain't easy. I no longer have fun when I play alone like I used to before. This lasted way longer than I expected and I had a lot of fun during that time, but it just isn't the same anymore.

Here's hoping TLoU 2(?) has an equal or better MP.

AKyemeni

I think I'm done with this game. None of my friends play this anymore and finding another group of people to play with ain't easy. I no longer have fun when I play alone like I used to before. This lasted way longer than I expected and I had a lot of fun during that time, but it just isn't the same anymore.

I have other games to play, like Samurai Warrior and GTA 5 soon, but I always come back to this game. It sucks me back in.

If you ever feel like downgrading, I still play on PS3 regularly.
;D

Not a fan of UC MP?

I'm praying that UC MP is awesome.

I miss jumping like a madman, taunting, and all the fun of UC MP.

I do hope they get rid of loadouts, as I still feel their Halo-esque weapon pickup system was infinitely better, but maybe they can support both styles.

I'm actually pretty stoked for UC MP and ready to give LoU a rest. I go back for more, but it's a game I've been playing since PS3's release so it's time to go out slowly and sweetly

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yeah sorry about that but isn't that what you're doing, you know stating your opinion as fact?

I am just disagreeing with the term pay-to-win. You can believe it's pay to win - It's not - IMO. It's up to player skill because the weapons are well balanced - for the most part. The rationale is simple: 4 players with variable rifles vs. 4 players with semi-autos = anybody's match - high prob semi-autos win. I am not alone in that assessment, just like you're not alone in yours. I can't find fact anywhere in my opinions.

As for the other comments:
You're using conjecture all over the place like "low player base" because of shitty net code. You don't even know how many players play this game for starters - only ND. Let alone the idea that the game has shitty net code after the patches. In my experience game matches get filled quick and when players leave a match others quickly join during the match - not sure what you're trying to suggest in your rampage - you're all over the place. Semi-Auto is still a 3-shot down rifle. 4-5 shots for armor. Obv headshots don't need explanation. No such thing as bullet sponges due to "bad net code- tick rate". As for lag? Once in a blue moon - standard for MP games. The more I keep reading your posts the more I think you're insinuating the MP is broken - better to start with that instead of dancing around it IMO. Then again you will get called out for such an assertion from the get-go likewise.

Pachimari

I only just got this game for PS4. I completed my review copy on PS3 and is now going through Left Behind for the first time but I'll be jumping into multiplayer and will be looking for some people to play with. I also have the camera mic to chat.

Gray Matter

Not a fan of UC MP?

I do hope they get rid of loadouts, as I still feel their Halo-esque weapon pickup system was infinitely better, but maybe they can support both styles.

I'm actually pretty stoked for UC MP and ready to give LoU a rest. I go back for more, but it's a game I've been playing since PS3's release so it's time to go out slowly and sweetly

I only started playing uncharted since 2011 so I missed out on UC2 which people say is the best one, and UC3 I tried but I joined too late and mainly played the co-op.

Not a fan of UC MP?

I'm pretty certain that Sony/ND will announce a Remastered Uncharted collection in December 6-7th (PlayStation Experience event - Las Vegas). ;) We need something to tide us over until UC4...

No such thing as bullet sponges due to "bad net code- tick rate".
I'm afraid you're the one who comes off as ignorant.

The tickrate is set at 15 Hz, which is way too low for a 60fps, next-gen game.

60fps = the graphics engine updates 60 times per second = smooth framerate
15Hz = the network engine (aka netcode) updates data between players 15 times per second = getting killed behind walls is the norm, especially against laggy players

"I'm finding players quickly" is a nonsensical argument. Do those players have 4-5 bars?

Also, the fact that ND doesn't want to reveal numbers means that they're embarrassed about their player counts, especially since Destiny came out. That's just common sense.

wowlace

Even with the shit netcode and matchmaking, TLOU is a considerably more enjoyable multiplayer experience compared to Destiny. It would be unfair to compare the single player experience because Destiny does not have one.

AKyemeni

We just pushed out a live update with a few tweaks to spawn positions in Interrogation and TDM. There's a lot more to come in the next patch but these are a few changes that didn't require the patch so we're pushing them out now.

To see the new changes just back out to the main menu and re-enter Factions MP. Version number is 1.09.006. This update should be coming to PS4 tomorrow.

Supply Box Adjustments:
- Adjusted supply box locations on Water Tower nearest each team spawn to provide more cover / defensibility

Interrogation Spawning:
- Updated Interrogation spawn points to provide more spawning options for players defending their lockbox on the following maps: Checkpoint, Lakeside, Bill’s Town, University, High School, Downtown, The Dam, Bookstore, Hometown, Bus Depot, Suburbs

TDM / Interrogation Spawning:
- Adjusted some TDM / Interrogation spawns on certain maps that were causing players to spawn too far from the action:

Bill's Town
- Removed spawns behind garage

Checkpoint
- Removed spawns in back alley behind Theater building

High School
- Removed most remote spawns in locker rooms
- Removed most remote spawns in back of gymnasium
- Added spawns inside gym closer to front doors
- Removed most remote spawns in library
- Removed most remote spawns above auto shop

University
- Removed most remote spawns in administration buildings near upper start spawn
- Removed duplicate set of spawns in upstairs sniper perch room above fountain
- Removed most remote spawns in back of science building
- Removed spawns on second floor walkway in science building (behind windows)

http://community.us.playstation.com...xes-coming-soon-to-PS4/m-p/44725695#U44725695

GnawtyDog

Banned
I'm pretty certain that Sony/ND will announce a Remastered Uncharted collection in December 6-7th (PlayStation Experience event - Las Vegas). ;) We need something to tide us over until UC4...

I'm afraid you're the one who comes off as ignorant.

The tickrate is set at 15 Hz, which is way too low for a 60fps, next-gen game.

60fps = the graphics engine updates 60 times per second = smooth framerate
15Hz = the network engine (aka netcode) updates data between players 15 times per second = getting killed behind walls is the norm, especially against laggy players

"I'm finding players quickly" is a nonsensical argument. Do those players have 4-5 bars?

Also, the fact that ND doesn't want to reveal numbers means that they're embarrassed about their player counts, especially since Destiny came out. That's just common sense.

You're referring to (death animations behind a wall as you try to flee/take cover?) - a "lag" - which is rare but present. I do notice that, but it's not game-breaking, and the perceived "lag" is at most 2 secs in real time. Needless to say I hardly encounter these - though I don't go into the game counting how many times that happens and what qualifies as to such an event (the one I can think of is vaulting windows trying to flee - but that has more to do with the vaulting animation itself than the lag of the shot registering). To consider it bad net code depends really on your tolerance level of the event bothering your experience - as in: "not fair" "I though I got out" or whatever.... as well as the recurrence of the event. It's not automatically guaranteed as you put it.

If we are referring to that, an extremely worse offender that had real issues with it was BF4 (like actually damaging the experience), a game that uses dedicated servers and is a FPS. Who knows how their netcode looks like - but it definitely had/(has?) a problem with it. It was a rare thing in COD last gen - at least MW2 as far as I can recall. The code "solution" is not solely to blame as much as connection quality would be (with dedicated servers or in the case of P2P, the host). There is no such thing as bullet sponges on the Last of US tho...

As for the "finding players" comment. It's not a "non-sensical argument" at all. The goal of match-making is to match-up players (whether in a lobby or an actual game session). It achieves that goal. Players having 1-5 bars of ping has more to do with the number of players in my area at any given time searching for a match in the same mode that I am - searching for it at the same time that I am. No one knows exactly how the code prioritizes etc - only ND knows - and to assume you or I know is merely speculation. After the patches my results are that while match-making in TLOU multiplayer my lobbies get filled quick and players join live-matches quick when a player leaves. Match-making achieved in a nutshell. I don't go into match-making counting the ping bars but the majority of my matches are lag free. I can not obviously attest for others since quality is circumstantial on many things. Match-making works - that much is factual.

As for the player counts....I was addressing an assumption the other poster made: "Bad" net code leads players to stop playing TLOU = reason why there's a low player base in MP". That's a generalization with conjecture sprinkled on top. As for your comment, to really gauge what's considered a strong MP base we would have to know how many players actually bought TLOU:R on PS4 and compare it to other games in the genre among other things to say that Naughty Dog is/should be embarrassed about the recurring rate of its player base in MP after x amount of months. That was not what was being argued at any rate - so you missed the context of it.

BF4 = 10 Hz (before the server update)
TLOU = 15 Hz <-- Do you consider this acceptable?

Both of them are way too low for 60fps online gaming.

Also, I don't understand the FPS bias? Just because FPS games are more popular, it doesn't mean that TPS games should be ignored. Both genres benefit from low lag.

The difference between dedicated and p2p is that increasing the tickrate on a p2p game is basically free in terms of bandwidth and CPU, while on the dedicated scenario it means that you have to pay for more bandwidth and better servers (faster CPU).

My tolerance level for getting killed behind walls/cover is extremely low. I'd rather get killed by 5-bar, pre-nerf EE2 mollies all day, every day.

Everyone and their mom knows that ND games have a low player count compared to behemoths like CoD/BF/Halo/Destiny. That's why ND changed the player count in UC2 from "online players" to "daily players" (they were ashamed for the 1.05 fiasco) and then they removed it altogether from UC3 ("we wanna compete with the big boys" <-- LMAO!).

ps1: Killzone Shadow Fall has faster matchmaking than TLOU Remastered. I can find players in less than 30 secs. On the other hand, ND matchmaking (UC2, UC3, TLOU) seems to be way too slow sometimes.

ps2: TLOU sold 1 million copies (18k players at peak/day 1) on the PS4 and 7 million copies on the PS3 (around 9k players when TLOU PS4 was launched). Yeah, I got those figures from ND.

GnawtyDog

Banned
BF4 = 10 Hz (before the server update)
TLOU = 15 Hz <-- Do you consider this acceptable?

Both of them are way too low for 60fps online gaming.

It's not a matter of considering something technical that I have no full (100%) understanding of "acceptable" - (that is of course - its correlation to the experience).

What I should consider acceptable is the experience. Which I find more than acceptable - I find it great since I play almost daily. And I have described my experience above....so feel free to re-read it.

The question is rather what other games in the console market offer better solutions (net code tick-rates) with noticeably better results. If you could show me some, with sources as to the different tick-rates used resulting in noticeably a better experience that would be a nice read.

As for the player counts - like I said, you missed the context of what I referred to - so that talk is of no interest to me as much as the conjecture that I addressed.

You don't seem to care that much about tickrate.

I understand that not everyone cares about technicalities, but you have to understand that many people who played TLOU during the experimental weekend (30 Hz tickrate) loved it for some reason, whether they had netcode knowledge or not. ;)

Regarding player counts, you still don't get my point: I'm a pursuer of truth, no matter what it is. When someone hides something from me, it means that he's not very confident to reveal the truth. That's what ND did during the 1.05 fiasco, so there's no reason to defend them.

Accusing someone of "conjecture" is lame, unless you have the guts to reveal the truth in public. Got it?

Fucking hate this Company and Sony.

AGAIN for the UMPTEENTH time I struggle to get a game. 50 fucking minutes and only in one game.

Fix. This. Shit.

GnawtyDog

Banned
You don't seem to care that much about tickrate.

I understand that not everyone cares about technicalities, but you have to understand that many people who played TLOU during the experimental weekend (30 Hz tickrate) loved it for some reason, whether they had netcode knowledge or not. ;)

Regarding player counts, you still don't get my point: I'm a pursuer of truth, no matter what it is. When someone hides something from me, it means that he's not very confident to reveal the truth. That's what ND did during the 1.05 fiasco, so there's no reason to defend them.

Accusing someone of "conjecture" is lame, unless you have the guts to reveal the truth in public. Got it?

If person x uses conjecture to argue or push a narrative I can't call it out? BTW I am not even sure you understand the conjecture/context in the first place so replying to me with unrelated arguments and points is rather non-sense. For example: "He's fat so he must eat a lot". It stops right there. So please, no need to continue.

As for the tick-rates - like I said, it comes down to how much it affects the experience. Obviously if you want to talk more deeply about the subject which you're so inclined to push we need more info to form a complete argument (and I have outlined what that info would be, in my previous post). Otherwise, there is no point.

If person x uses conjecture to argue or push a narrative I can't call it out? BTW I am not even sure you understand the conjecture/context in the first place so replying to me with unrelated arguments and points is rather non-sense. For example: "He's fat so he must eat a lot". It stops right there. So please, no need to continue.

As for the tick-rates - like I said, it comes down to how much it affects the experience. Obviously if you want to talk more deeply about the subject which you're so inclined to push we need more info to form a complete argument (and I have outlined what that info would be, in my previous post). Otherwise, there is no point.
Your analogy is ridiculous.

My point is that ND is hiding something from us (the consumers) and instead of criticizing that, you decide to call me out for trying to find out the truth? Are you serious?

Regarding tickrates, it's not my fault that most console gamers are not educated enough to pursue technical details, such as tickrate, milliseconds (instead of vague bars) etc etc. That's why console developers rarely disclose them. Blame the majority, not me.

I've got decent internet too....
Decent internet is not what you need to "excel" in ND games. And yes, having a bad reputation online-wise (rewarding laggers) drives many people away, whether you want to believe it or not. On the other hand, they have a pretty good reputation SP-wise.

@GnawtyDog

One last time (since you dismissed it):

TLOU sold 1 million copies (18k players at peak/day 1) on the PS4 and 7 million copies on the PS3 (around 9k players when TLOU PS4 was launched). Yeah, I got those figures from ND.
^ This is NOT conjecture. I got those numbers from a ND QA. Do you know what a QA is? Obviously not.

Do the math. Less than 2% play ND games online. The ratio is even worse in the PS3 version.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Your analogy is ridiculous.

My analogy is not ridiculous, it's an example of conjecture which flew over your head.

My point is that ND is hiding something from us (the consumers) and instead of criticizing that, you decide to call me out for trying to find out the truth? Are you serious?

Calling you out? Last I checked you called my response to another poster ignorant. So unless you're his alternate account, there is no such thing as calling you out. I only explained myself and gave you a proper response with courtesy - something I think anyone would appreciate for the sake of discussion.

Second, your little internal search for truth with ND is of no interest to me and my discussion has been centered around what I replied to said poster. So trying to pull me into that imaginary discussion of yours is really unwelcomed to the say the least.
Regarding tickrates, it's not my fault that most console gamers are not educated enough to pursue technical details, such as tickrate, milliseconds (instead of vague bars) etc etc. That's why console developers rarely disclose them. Blame the majority, not me.
I am not sure how this is relevant unless this is your response to my question for "better info regarding tick-rates" - which at any rate does not advance the discussion at all. So, if you don't have that, for whatever the reason - there is no point in continuing with only a "more is better argument".

Decent internet is not what you need to "excel" in ND games. And yes, having a bad reputation online-wise (rewarding laggers) drives many people away, whether you want to believe it or not. On the other hand, they have a pretty good reputation SP-wise.
I have never discounted the possibility that there are some players that are put away by bad experiences with MP (in all games, not just TLOU), however, to single it out as a sole reason or to insinuate as much is not exactly correct. That's why I called it out and it's self-evident to anyone that can think critically.

One last time (since you dismissed it):

I dismiss that which is not relevant to what was argued. I have made that clear very well. Now I would appreciate if you don't pull me into your internal discussions about ND's "truth's and lies". Of course to avoid derailing the thread any further, as well as my lack of interest in such. You can continue it on your own obviously - just appreciate if my user-name is not thrown around in the talk @ tanpantoala.

A butthurt ND fanboy is trying to belittle me for being on the consumers' side. That's pathetic.

You're the same guy who insinuated that I'm too "dumb" to "fix" my NAT/PS4 networking setup. You don't even know who you're talking to, kiddo.

ps: Please do me a favour and spell my username correctly at least, just like I did for yours.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
A butthurt ND fanboy is trying to belittle me for being on the consumers' side. That's pathetic.

You're the same guy who insinuated that I'm too "dumb" to "fix" my NAT/PS4 networking setup. You don't even know who you're talking to, kiddo.

ps: Please do me a favour and spell my username correctly at least, just like I did for yours.
Got issues, go take it to PM - nobody needs to read it here.

Cotrip

From the announced PlayStation panels:

The Last of Us Multiplayer: An Inside Look - Come get an inside look into the development of The Last of Us Multiplayer. Learn how the team solved challenges like making stealth work in a competitive third-person shooter, building the latest DLC, and how new add-ons are conceived, produced, and balanced. Featuring Erin Daly (Lead Multiplayer Designer), Quentin Cobb (Game Designer), Elisabetta Silli (Game Designer), Robert Ryan (Game Designer), and Anthony Newman (Game Designer).

Maybe they will reveal something... maybe :(

Cotrip

They got a patch to get out and they teased some DLC for Factions

When? Where?

I'd love a new mode. I don't like the idea of a hardcore mode, but something without boxes could be cool. Sometimes I'm frustrated by how the position of the boxes dictates the flow of players through the map.

Top Bottom