• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Tenebrous

NF can seriously go fuck themselves.

(Spoilers)
Thought the ending of FC was bad? Two painfully long, very losable back to back bouts right at the very end? Well you don't know fucking anything until you trudge through the last two hours of SC without the chance to save. I've shit to do!

Just had a weird bug on the PSP version. After opening the chest by the stone monument on the Erbe Scenic Route, half the screen flashed red for a second. I got worried the game was about to crash or something, but it returned to normal after just a second.

Oooooooo, you've been marked by the curse. Congrats(?)!

Tenebrous

Chapter 8 sidequest spoiler -
screw that giant group of abyss worms with 12k health each.

The only one I couldn't do. Best way to do it would be everyone with the highest speed possible, Agate's S-break, zeram on Agate, S-break, zeram on Agate, etc...

That's all I can think of.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Ran into a bug in the Final Chapter:

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...556/AFBA0A438EFB93E234E5A484C65E87ECDEB975CC/

I can't select any of the options here using a controller. The options won't highlight. I can work around it by using the mouse, though.

Chapter 8 sidequest spoiler -
screw that giant group of abyss worms with 12k health each.

This one took me quite a few attempts, but I was ultimately able to do it by casting Clock Up EX on everyone and having Joshua continually spam Evil Eye on the biggest group possible.

Tenebrous

That's a known bug, but as you say, thankfully there's a relatively simple workaround.

So, 50 hours later, I've finished the game. From just a few hours into FC right up until the very end of SC, one thought has remained constant, and it's not one that many here will agree with.

Kinda-notreally-spoilery:
The game would've been more enjoyable & original without the romance between E&J. The brother/sister dynamic was so much more interesting.
Total-spoilery:
Not much would needed to have changed. The scene on the beach after Joshua rescues Estelle from the Glorious... Why couldn't it be a sister telling her brother that their family loves him, and to stop being a bit of a tit and come home to her and them?

Speaking of bugs, I stumbled across a rather large one, apparently (spoilers).
I didn't get to fight Renne in the Axis Pillar, exactly the same as this guy/girl describes. Went straight from Lucciola to Loewe.

duckroll

WTF are you talking about? Outside of quickly showing flash backs to the last game to refresh the audience which didn't happen in xenogears you can't compare xenogears story telling method to trails at al.

There are a number of similarities. It wasn't a negative comparison. Xenogears excelled at foreshadowing and ominous teasing on a large scale, often while the player's party was doing certain things on one side of the world, there would be many scenes along the way filling up what is happening on the other parts of the world, especially involving antagonists or other characters who the characters are trying to find. This narrative format was not something FC used much of, although it started appearing more towards the end. In SC it seems this will be the de facto method of pushing multiple plot threads forward without the player having to be in every place at the same time.

Plus, there are robots in the SC intro. Finally! I've been waiting for this!!!!

So another neat little example of different dialogue that could only come up with a certain character in your party.

Early chapter 3 stuff when you go to the Royal Villa:
With Kloe in your party, you get a really interesting scene when walking into Duke Dunan's room, with some very nice moments for Kloe. It's pretty interesting, and something easy to miss if you just didn't have her with you. I think it does a good job of tying in with her arc (and showing that Dunan is still a complete ass).

There are so many little touches put into this game.

Amakuni

Alright I got a quick question for you guys before I buy this.

I played the first game over the summer, and liked it alright, except the game was way too easy, the only challenge being a boss fight where winning is optional and the final boss. So is the sequel harder? Or should I except to breeze through like the first one?

Steel

Banned

I played the first game over the summer, and liked it alright, except the game was way too easy, the only challenge being a boss fight where winning is optional and the final boss. So is the sequel harder? Or should I except to breeze through like the first one?

With a similar line of thinking to this I tried the game on Nightmare. After getting my ass handed to me and making my way through the prologue I switched to hard, which was much less of a challenge but I still got my ass handed to me a bit by the prologues final boss. It's definitely harder than FC.

It's harder on Normal, but not drastically, rather in the sense that you've got much tougher field mobs/quest encounters + bosses that require good use of Arts and denying turn bonuses to enemies (among other things). Stick with Normal at first, then bump up to Hard if that's not enough; the Prologue is much harder on Hard than what follows it for a while, mind.

And yes, meeting
Duke Dunan
at Erbe w/Kloe in your party is amazing. But what's even better is when you ask if
he's seen Renne
. Playing the game well means knowing not just who to fight with, but who to have around when opportunities present themselves.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What was the reward for getting to rank C? Accidentally skipped through the text box before I read it and nothing in my inventory is really standing out as new/good.

Steel

Banned
It's harder on Normal, but not drastically, rather in the sense that you've got much tougher field mobs/quest encounters + bosses that require good use of Arts and denying turn bonuses to enemies (among other things). Stick with Normal at first, then bump up to Hard if that's not enough; the Prologue is much harder on Hard than what follows it for a while, mind.

You can't change difficulty mid playthrough. It's why I went through the prologue twice. And honestly, the only part on Hard in the prologue that's touch and go is the final boss.

And yes, meeting
Duke Dunan
at Erbe w/Kloe in your party is amazing. But what's even better is when you ask if
he's seen Renne
. Playing the game well means knowing not just who to fight with, but who to have around when opportunities present themselves.

The scene where you talk to him
with Renne accompanying you and her and Estelle start making fun of him and he gets incredulous
is another good one.

There are so many rewards for the player if they just make sure to run around talk to all those people with certain characters with them. I really enjoy that.

zakujanai

Except I don't tell you when that character joins the party, all I tell you is his joining is the flag for the side quest that every other page someone is asking "where is this quest" or "I missed it when did I miss it". If I said something like
once you return to Ruan with Kevin in the party a riot will happen leading to Olivier showing up and he'll join the party, the game will then point you in the direction of the academy at this point you need to check the bracer board for the quest as that's the small window it's available
where I start talking major plot details then it'd cross over into being real spoilers. I don't think saying Zane, Tita, Kloe, Olivier, Schera, or Kevin joining the party is in anyway a spoiler, other characters like
Joshua and Josette
those are spoilers that people might be upset if it's revealed they're playable at some point.

I would consider it a spoiler in the same way Thanos being in GotG is a spoiler IE not at all hence why I didn't even consider tagging it. Of course spoiler culture being the worst thing ever it seems like posting anything will get someone to cry spoilers.

I understand what you're saying, what you said wasn't heavy ob plot spoilers at all. If I'd read your comment when I was still early in chapter 1 though it would'be pissed me off to have the surprise of that unexpected meeting taken away from me.

That said, most people don't seemed arsed about posting location spoilers for chapters so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to them. Personally, I'd rather not find out where I'll be going (or who I'll be meeting) until I play the chapter.

Chapter 4:
So Rolent is turning into the Tower of Latria? Is that what the bells and fog and soul-stealing are from? :p

So another neat little example of different dialogue that could only come up with a certain character in your party.

Early chapter 3 stuff when you go to the Royal Villa:
With Kloe in your party, you get a really interesting scene when walking into Duke Dunan's room, with some very nice moments for Kloe. It's pretty interesting, and something easy to miss if you just didn't have her with you. I think it does a good job of tying in with her arc (and showing that Dunan is still a complete ass).

There are so many little touches put into this game.

That was one of the scenes I was talking about above. Good use of character motivations with her and Joshua.

eastx

Good news for people with accents!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky SC will be launching on the PlayStation®Store in Europe and Australia on November 10, 2015, for €26.99, £21.99, AUD $40.95 and other applicable regional pricing via the PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system. This follows a successful debut on the North American PlayStation®Store as well as on PC worldwide on October 29, 2015.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Aqua Master fishing rod

Explains why I didn't see it, was looking at equipment and quartz. Thanks.

Finished chapter 5. Interesting stuff. My severely underleveled mandatory character got 7 levels off that boss. Probably would have been 9 or so if not for killing some monsters just before it.

It's nice that, at least for now, (character availability spoilers, I guess?)
Estelle is the only mandatory party member. I've pretty much neglected Zane outside the brief period he was required, so I'm dragging him along with my usual Kloe + Olivier combo.

Speaking of which, my Kloe is kind of ridiculously powerful at this point. Amazing support and her ATS is so high she's pretty easily my most reliable damage dealer for anything except fire of physical damage. And she's fast enough that she can often cast either immediately or after just one turn. Then add in Estelle throwing around some Clock Up EX/Clock Down(!) things get out of hand in my favor pretty quickly just between the two of them.

So, has anyone determined what the point is in the different "stages" of elemental arts? For example, Aqua Bleed might deal 1100 damage, Blue Impact costs double the EP, but might do 1300. Ever since I realized the difference in damage was so minimal, it never seems worth it to spend the extra EP on more expensive arts unless I need something to multitarget.

So, has anyone determined what the point is in the different "stages" of elemental arts? For example, Aqua Bleed might deal 1100 damage, Blue Impact costs double the EP, but might do 1300. Ever since I realized the difference in damage was so minimal, it never seems worth it to spend the extra EP on more expensive arts unless I need something to multitarget.

Yup. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/979866-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky/70794825

Post #6 answers your question.

If there's any game that's close to be a modern Xenogears, it's this one. Although, maybe "modern" isn't the best way to describe a game from 2006 ... nor would it be "modern" for 2006.

What age is Tita supposed to me? Some of the dialogue around her is, uh, unsettling.

It reaches its peak in The Third. It's just awful.

YES November 10th i have no other games to play then

*remembers fallout 4*

AHhhhhhh how do i choose

Fallout 4 will likely get more content down the road to make the game keep going and going, probably best to just get Trails SC out of the way so you can focus all your time on Fallout

wrowa

Fallout 4 will likely get more content down the road to make the game keep going and going, probably best to just get Trails SC out of the way so you can focus all your time on Fallout

If past Bethesda games are an indication, Fallout might also need at least a couple weeks of patches. :D

Tenebrous

What level was your party going into the final fight? After losing to
Luciola and her damn fog monsters
twice, I decided to save the rest of SC for this weekend.

Late 80s early 90s. About level 80 for the Lucciola fight. I did one shot it, though it took about half an hour, some cheese (Agate's Wild Rage>S-Break over and over again before picking off the melee immune one with arts), and popping a few Zeram capsules in the process.

Awkward when One AoE spell kills everything minus the one enemy cowering and all the other aoes hit nothing for a minute :X

I went through almost the entire game like that, haha

Dio

Banned
She's too damn sexy, is what I think everyone is saying.
I'm in Chapter 6 and literally no one has said this. The only thing I could possibly think of that would be related, MAYBE, would be
that the girls tease her about how close she is to Agate and even then it's not even implying anything sexual.

In chapter 1, I just got to the
Academy and reunited with Kloe. The scene with her and Estelle on the auditorium stage is the highlight of the game so far. It's so well done and touches me on a personal level as well.

Not sure if Tita herself is the problem or other characters... commenting on her?

The game pushes a romance between her and an older character.

I'm in Chapter 6 and literally no one has said this. The only thing I could possibly think of that would be related, MAYBE, would be
that the girls tease her about how close she is to Agate and even then it's not even implying anything sexual.

No, it definitely is. In 3rd, the party suggests there be an "age difference relationship."

Olivier says some extremely, extremely inappropriate things.

Top Bottom