• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Eusis

One thing: You can definitely skip text. It's the B button on an Xbox controller. Tap to skip one line, hold to quickly fast forward through text.
More accurately (if this can't already be guessed by "B button") it's the cancel button. But yeah, this isn't one of those games where you have to suffer long text scroll.

eastx

One thing: You can definitely skip text. It's the B button on an Xbox controller. Tap to skip one line, hold to quickly fast forward through text.

Thanks guys! Fixed that mention.

The things he says about a 12 year-old girl aren't easily dismissed as "questionable," for me.

It's good to remember that age of consent is not universal between cultures, and that Japanese attitudes on that subject are different from typical Western attitudes.

The things he says about a 12 year-old girl aren't easily dismissed as "questionable," for me.

You need to supply some quotes, because so far I haven't seen anything.
It's good to remember that age of consent is not universal between cultures, and that Japanese attitudes on that subject are different from typical Western attitudes.
Not to mention that anything Olivier says is a) hard to take seriously and b) is immediately shot down by Estelle or someone else.

AaronB

I knew the FC went on sale, and realized that if I change my region to Turkey where I'm living now, it's only about $6. Hopefully I'll get to SC sometime next year; they both look really cool.

eastx

Uh, why would you nonchalantly drop a giant FC ending spoiler in a review that purports to review both games? I haven't finished FC yet.

AFAIK I didn't mention anything about SC's story that isn't in the OP of this thread. The premise of a game is not a spoiler. It just isn't. But it definitely wouldn't be wise to read a review of something if you didn't want to know the premise.

wrowa

AFAIK I didn't mention anything about SC's story that isn't in the OP of this thread. The premise of a game is not a spoiler. It just isn't. But it definitely wouldn't be wise to read a review of something if you didn't want to know the premise.

The premise of SC kind of is a spoiler when you advertise that the review is for both games (which resulted in him/her thinking that story-wise you wouldn't cover more than the beginning of FC). After all, a video game review is traditionally used to form a purchase decision - and for someone who wants to know whether or not FC and SC are worth playing it's quite a big blow when you just reveal the ending twist of FC. If you think it's necessary to reveal SC's premise (why though? If you treat FC and SC as one big game it makes absolutely no sense to reveal something that happens midgame), you could have just wrote two separate reviews. Or you could have written a small warning that you'll spoil the ending of FC, despite it being a review that is supposed to cover both FC and SC.

eastx

The premise of SC kind of is a spoiler when you advertise that the review is for both games (which resulted in him/her thinking that story-wise you wouldn't cover more than the beginning of FC). After all, a video game review is traditionally used to form a purchase decision - and for someone who wants to know whether or not FC and SC are worth playing it's quite a big blow when you just reveal the ending twist of FC. If you think it's necessary to reveal SC's premise (why though? If you treat FC and SC as one big game it makes absolutely no sense to reveal something that happens midgame), you could have just wrote two separate reviews. Or you could have written a small warning that you'll spoil the ending of FC, despite it being a review that is supposed to cover both FC and SC.

I didn't talk about the twist at all. The only way the story description could be any more vague would be if I left the character's name out. But that takes away the bit of continuity the reader needs to follow what vague story overview I'm even providing. I love you guys, but when people start to get too cray-cray about spoilers, IMO it's better to try to steer them in the right direction instead of just arriving at the point where literally nothing can be discussed.

wrowa

I didn't talk about the twist at all. The only way the story description could be any more vague would be if I left the character's name out. But that takes away the bit of continuity the reader needs to follow what vague story overview I'm even providing. I love you guys, but when people start to get cray-cray about spoilers, IMO it's better to try to steer them in the right direction instead of just arriving at the point where literally nothing can be discussed.

I just don't get the thought process behind covering two games in one review but then dropping something that is an obvious spoiler for people who haven't yet played one of the games. If you want to cover two connected games in one review, it should be quite obvious that it's not a good idea to reveal too much about the second game's story, so that the review actually still remains useful for the people who aren't there just for the SC content.

eastx

I just don't get the thought process between covering two games in one review but then dropping something that is an obvious spoiler for people who haven't yet played one of the games. If you want to cover two connected games in one review, it should be quite obvious that it's not a good idea to reveal too much about the second game's story, so that the review actually still remains useful for the people who aren't there just for the SC content.

I have considered that feedback, but again, it's not a spoiler. It's the premise. Any review of any game is likely to discuss story to some extent, including (of course) the premise. Anyone who has such a pointlessly broad definition of spoilers should abstain from reading reviews. This very thread's OP contains the exact same information, so you're being especially silly.

wrowa

I have considered that feedback, but again, it's not a spoiler. It's the premise. Any review of any game is likely to discuss story to some extent, including (of course) the premise. Anyone who has such a pointlessly broad definition of spoilers should abstain from reading reviews. This very thread's OP contains the exact same information, so you're being especially silly.

This thread is not trying to cover both FC and SC. But your review is. That's what you wrote in your post, after all. And of course the premise for SC is a spoiler to people who haven't played FC...

I don't actually care, though. I just think it's kind of an unfortunate decision to write a review that is supposed to cover two games, but then putting an ending spoiler to the first game in it and that's why I can definitely see where StarCreator is coming from. But, hey, it's obviously up to you.

Shizuka

But you're not writing that review for people that read the OP, you're writing a review for everybody. Also, this thread is specific about SC, it can contain sensitive information regarding FC, but your review contains information for both, there is bound to have someone that'll want to know how both games are before playing FC and having any sort of spoiler for the game isn't exactly nice.

I'm not here to criticize your review, but spoilers are the last thing that should be in a review, specially when you're covering two games, one that's a direct sequel to the previous one.

I purposefully didn't read the OP for the reasons you state, and only started to read your review because it purported to be a review of the overall series and not SC alone.

This game validated my habit of keeping multiple saves yet again!

Went through a story sequence, after which I decided to stop in at the guild branch, where I saw that a side quest I never even accepted had been failed (probably due to advancing the story too fast). So I loaded a save 10 minutes prior, before the story sequence, beelined to the guild branch, and hey, the quest is now available. Sorry story, walking around Liberl beating up monsters and picking up doodads takes priority!

Multiple saves, y'all.

wrowa

This game validated my habit of keeping multiple saves yet again!

Went through a story sequence, after which I decided to stop in at the guild branch, where I saw that a side quest I never even accepted had been failed (probably due to advancing the story too fast). So I loaded a save 10 minutes prior, before the story sequence, beelined to the guild branch, and hey, the quest is now available. Sorry story, walking around Liberl beating up monsters and picking up doodads takes priority!

Multiple saves, y'all.

I'm in chapter 3 and I've got... more than 150 separate saves. Yep.

duckroll

I'm not sure why we're going on and on about FC spoilers in a thread about SC. I mean, honestly, people should just know better. If you're reading everything in a SC thread and trying to have a discussion while clicking on links posted in the thread, you're probably going to get spoiled on FC if you're not done with it. I was playing FC before I started SC, and I knew to mostly stay away from reading the thread.

Shouta

You guys are crazy. I never missed a mission and I only had one save when I went through the game the first time, lol.

I just rotate through 10 save slots, but yeah, same diff.

Gotta save before selling a bunch of stuff,
or buying a bunch of stuff,
or approaching a boss,
or starting a sidequest,
or ending a sidequest,
or leaving a city,
or entering a city,
or or or or or...

That was a pretty long cutscene just in the middle of Chapter 3.
We get some updates on a lot of other characters, and we can start to see things coming together, between the Joshua/Josette/Kyle/Don group and Schera and Anelace meeting up with Kevin. It looks like the Intelligence Division are about to make a big play, and the pact signing is going to be the big turning point. Meanwhile, the society are trying to keep everyone distracted off in Bose while this goes on. There's a lot of intrigue here.

And I don't trust Renne one bit. That's no ordinary girl, and she's up to something. I'm just not sure exactly what yet.

You guys are crazy. I never missed a mission and I only had one save when I went through the game the first time, lol.

One save for me, too. I've missed out on some BP, but I always check the guild and talk to every NPC before advancing the story.

Nyoro SF

Well, normally I don't do this, but I figure if they're going to give me that many save slots, I might as well use them.

I can't think of a game with more save slots than this one though. lol

Eusis

I'm not sure why we're going on and on about FC spoilers in a thread about SC. I mean, honestly, people should just know better. If you're reading everything in a SC thread and trying to have a discussion while clicking on links posted in the thread, you're probably going to get spoiled on FC if you're not done with it. I was playing FC before I started SC, and I knew to mostly stay away from reading the thread.
Funnily enough it's because of noticing posts like yours that I was dancing around the spoilers. But logically no, if you're here then spoilers for the first game are fair game, much like any other sequel OT thread should be.

And a review for the duo of games probably could stand to be vaguer about the second game. It should probably be treating it as one whole, not two separate parts at that point given people would want to read to know if the series on a whole is worth playing.

I have at least one page of saves dedicated to each Chapter, which so far bring it to around 50 or so.

Also, the ingredients quests in this game are ironically easy to complete if you neglect making meals from recipes the way I do, lol. I had an easy time completing
Diaset's Secret in Rolent
and the
Anterose request in Bose
because I fish often and hoard food items. Buying meals is usually fine, but I have the sinking feeling late-game is going to be less kind towards me.

The airship flight to
Bose
is super-interesting because you can talk with non-Schera party members you fought alongside in the Chapter 4 boss fight and learn about
what their post-battle dreams were, and what they make of them
Olivier, of course, probably has the funniest recollection, but Kloe realized that Luciola's bewitching dream made her complacent, wanting to live in a past unreachable which Ouroboros would love to incapacitate enemies and common folk with

Aeana

I learned a very long time ago that relying on a single save in a lengthy game is asking for heartache one way or another.

I rotate through 10 saves, saving whenever I remember (or opening a monster chest, or if it's obvious a boss is coming up), but make chapter saves on another page.

It's all redundant after I missed the first Gambler Jack volume.

Tenebrous

I learned a very long time ago that relying on a single save in a lengthy game is asking for heartache one way or another.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've been double/triple saving since the PS1, and I don't think that's ever going to change.

Psxphile

I didn't bother with FC, but now in SC and going in without a guide I'm thinking keeping a save for each major point within each chapter should be good enough (basically allotting one page of saves for each chapter). I haven't needed to go back and load an older save for whatever reason, but piece of mind is worth its weight in mira.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've been double/triple saving since the PS1, and I don't think that's ever going to change.

Because so much of my gaming history is RPGs (which are chockful of missables and/or bugs), I've been trained to save as a reflexive reaction. The idea of not using all the save slots available doesn't make sense to me.

Eusis

Because so much of my gaming history is RPGs (which are chockful of missables and/or bugs), I've been trained to save as a reflexive reaction. The idea of not using all the save slots available doesn't make sense to me.
I don't know about THAT, but it is why I lament that so many games just want to run with a full auto save system. I appreciate that as a fail safe but it's nuts how some games don't seem to comprehend that people might want to manually save at a specific point. And in formats where it'd make more sense to do so, like RPGs!

wrowa

On PC, it's so easy to just use a new save file every time you save, though. There's no good reason against it.

But, yeah, I'm saving way too often. I don't even really care a lot about missing stuff and so far I never reloaded a save, but it's just nice to know that there's backup. I guess. It's weird. I'm weird.

That's not a penguin :v

Penguins definitely moved from "cute" to "worst animals ever" in my book. Thanks Trails.

Let's not forget pandas.

I havent been this scared of cute animals since Etrian Odyssey.
Ive so far been rolling with one save, but I may possibly be regretting it with the boss after
Kloe
joins.

Psxphile

There is no penalty for running away right? No loss of bp or rare items later in the game?

Nope, none whatsoever. You can run from every battle without fail save for plot-based fights and bosses, I think.

EDIT: oh wait, re-read the question... can't say for sure about loss of BP. I only ever tried running from regular mobs (to farm Shining Poms). There could be a penalty for running from a battle you're required to win as part of a job.

Nyoro SF

Nope, none whatsoever. You can run from every battle without fail save for plot-based fights and bosses, I think.

I like this.
I just fought a big group of monsters that confused my entire party in a single hit. I watched slowly as they all began killing each other. If I hadn't been able to run I would've been a dead dodo. And retry offset is for wimps.

Psxphile

I like this.
I just fought a big group of monsters that confused my entire party in a single hit. I watched slowly as they all began killing each other. If I hadn't been able to run I would've been a dead dodo. And retry offset is for wimps.

Chrono Cross is the same way: battle getting too hot for you? Equipment not up to snuff? Need to move some elements around? Escape, make some changes, and get right back in there. You could even run from bosses. They'll just sit and wait while you get ready to try again.

OnFire331

Currently replaying FC. Going for a Max BP run to carry over to SC.

There is no penalty for running away right? No loss of bp or rare items later in the game?

It'll be recorded in your bracer notebook, forever mocking you for the one time you ran away from a battle.

Bebpo

Banned
That's a known bug, but as you say, thankfully there's a relatively simple workaround.

So, 50 hours later, I've finished the game. From just a few hours into FC right up until the very end of SC, one thought has remained constant, and it's not one that many here will agree with.

Kinda-notreally-spoilery:
The game would've been more enjoyable & original without the romance between E&J. The brother/sister dynamic was so much more interesting.
Total-spoilery:
Not much would needed to have changed. The scene on the beach after Joshua rescues Estelle from the Glorious... Why couldn't it be a sister telling her brother that their family loves him, and to stop being a bit of a tit and come home to her and them?

Speaking of bugs, I stumbled across a rather large one, apparently (spoilers).
I didn't get to fight Renne in the Axis Pillar, exactly the same as this guy/girl describes. Went straight from Lucciola to Loewe.

Now that people are starting to finish the game, I'm curious what your thoughts on the ending are? (obviously SPOILERS). Mainly interested if people will feel like they need The 3rd after they finish SC.

I know I did.

Thanks guys! Fixed that mention.

Are you suggesting that the age of consent in Japan is 12? Or that if sexualizing children was a part of Japanese culture,that it would somehow make it okay?

Tenebrous

Now that people are starting to finish the game, I'm curious what your thoughts on the ending are? (obviously SPOILERS). Mainly interested if people will feel like they need The 3rd after they finish SC.

I know I did.

FC Spoilers.
I thought the ending was a bit poor compared to FC. After all the combat was outta the way in FC, you could still go around, talk to everyone (so much damn dialog to be had), you were made a Senior Bracer, and then of course the reveal of Weissman & the cliffhanger with Joshua & Estelle. That was a damn great ending.

SC Spoilers.
SC just ends with an escape sequence, a cutscene, and a minimal amount of dialog between Joshua & Estelle. The little conversation between Raynard/Cassius/Joshua/Estelle wasn't all that interesting, and the cutscene wasn't all that, either.

I wanted to talk to the Queen again. I wanted to talk to everyone on the ship. I wanted to talk to Richard & Cid. But nope, none of that.

Chapter 2 wrapped, I'd be annoyed that characters not in your party don't get exp except for the fact exp scales so it's easy to catch someone up, double if you win a shiny pom fight.

Also is the Odyssey of Anton achievement bugged? I'm pretty sure I met him for the first time in chapter 2 and yet the achievement unlocked?

Tenebrous

Chapter 2 wrapped, I'd be annoyed that characters not in your party don't get exp except for the fact exp scales so it's easy to catch someone up, double if you win a shiny pom fight.

Also is the Odyssey of Anton achievement bugged? I'm pretty sure I met him for the first time in chapter 2 and yet the achievement unlocked?

Where did you meet him?
If you met him in Rolent, then that's his final spot. He's been on every airship you've travelled on until that point.

Nyoro SF

Not just that but I think the achievement icon is wrong as well. Could be wrong on that front but we'll see.

Also I'm still getting frame judder when walking around; especially bad in Grancel. Should I enable Vertex Shading to get rid of it?

Top Bottom