• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Nyoro SF

In FC sepith was pretty generous too. I only had trouble near the very very end of the game.

SC is much tougher though because you're juggling more characters that need more investment overall.

I think there's a bug / oversight in a certain part of the game where Poms spawn way more than normal, not gonna give it away until I beat the game though :) it helps a lot with my trouble in terms of getting characters up to speed level wise. Shoutouts to the guy who gave me the tip about using meatballs.

There are none in Chapter 6.

There are some in
the Esmelas and Amberl Tower.

Thanks!
I already finished the Esmelas and moved on to the next one and since Amberl is last, I can't use it to level up Zane and Schera. Can I backtrack back to Esmelas?

zakujanai

Still working my way through chapter 3, 46 hours and counting. Enjoying this chapter so much more than the filler that was chapter 2, even though I've always been pretty certain that
Renne
is
an enforcer.
Playing together with my partner though and she's just had the idea herself (we just rushed off to
Gurune Gate
after receiving
the letter
). She's devastated at the idea, makes me sad I never really fell for it (assuming we'be actually guessed correctly).

Either way, there's been much more intrigue and far better pacing story-wise, though maybe at the expense of some of the nice little sidequests of other chapters.

I don't want this game to ever end. So glad Cold Steel is coming to soften the blow.

Gu4n

That's... weird. I mean, the very beginning. Basically, still chapter 5.
I should be able go anywhere in Bose except the lake and still need to do the few end-chapter Bose sidequests, surely I can find one somewhere?
They were in
Nebel Valley and the Tower
I'm Chapter 5, so you could give it a go.

Thanks!
I already finished the Esmelas and moved on to the next one and since Amberl is last, I can't use it to level up Zane and Schera. Can I backtrack back to Esmelas?
Not that I know of, and I don't have the game with me to confirm. The latter localation I mentioned has them in groups of six, so that should help you prepare for the boss battle there.

Finalow

any idea how to unlock Ramblin' Gambler achievement? The counter is at 16 and it seems a bit too high for just the books.

Finalow

uh, double post
Bait and rod determine which fish you can get, and the fish itself determines your window based on your bait/rod combo. Trick for me when fishing is to watch the rod; once it starts moving, I jam the spacebar like nothing else matters. I've been able to get Snakehead using the Progress Rod doing this (you really should be using the
Bamboo Fishing Rod from Chapter 3
though). Rod movement also tells you whether or not it's a small or big catch, so you can learn when to save bait. Right now the hugest benefit (aside from completing the Fishing Book) is grinding Rainbow Trout for Space Sepith, which is the kind I usually have difficulty finding and keeping. If you have the
Piscis Heart
rod, Chapter 4 lets you get a lot of good bait for nabbing that fish.

The accessories and ingredients you get from certain fish are useful depending on your playstyle.

Honestly, that may have been Renne's mistake: perhaps she thought of trapping Estelle and Kevin against Ouroboros Archaisms thinking neither could destroy them, when the obvious (sitll risky) strategy would have been inviting Kevin to the Bracer Guild on business, then putting everyone to sleep with cookies. Above all Renne needed to conceal the Orguielle's launch, but she also wanted guests for her mad tea party, so the dissonance here made her act selfishly in a way that ruined Kanone's plan. Of course, Renne and Pater-Mater could have done what Kanone wanted to do twice-over, but where's the fun in that? She thought it better to confuse and terrify the Bracers and the Royal Guard, like Enforcers before here, knowing how odd a little girl working for Ouroboros would be. This doesn't exactly work, though, at least not on Estelle
it the end the explanation I got is that
as Estelle and Renne herself say, "it was just for fun". she went there and while doing the experiment without killing anyone she just wanted to have fun, and arranged all that mess with Kanone and the letters.

Got you covered on the latter! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184387811&postcount=1790

I made a save very close to the boss again just in case.
confirmed to be a bug then. not a surprise that no one has unlocked that achievement yet :p

Taruranto

Finished with the prologue, bosses that can heal themselves multiple times are bananas. =_=

Saw the twist coming, eh.

Got some Xenogears vibes from Chapter 1 beginning.

CH 5 side quest help
Can someone give me hint what the casket thing suppose to be?
Caskets contain; which one is held carefully?

Chapter 5 complete! The boss fight disappointed me a lot. I wasn't too high-leveled and it was a cinch vs. the one in Chapters 4 and 3. But the story for Bose is excellent, and it seems to be continuing. I'm also wondering just what's up with
Joshua underestimating himself yet again
—
does he not know the Bracers have just enough advantage to contribute to his plan
?

wrowa

Annoying, the option to disable mouse input doesn't work.

Talking about mouse controls, is it possible to disable that the cursor automatically sticks to commands/enemies/menu points? Mouse controls are generally pretty good in this game, but a cursor that jumps from point to point even though I didn't move the mouse is the biggest mouse-related sin there is.

Taruranto

Chapter 1 early spoilers

Can I wait until I get a third character (I'm going to guess Olivier, judging by the ship weapons) to do the sub-quests?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that chapter 6 fight
against Gilbert.
Feels very winnable, but requires some luck.

Have to win fast due to the time limit, but the enemies start spread out and have a lot of long range attacks, so they don't close in and huddle together very quickly. And if they deal damage too fast (all down to luck, based on the bonuses and what attacks they decide to use) you have to waste more turns healing instead of dealing damage. Plus they seemingly randomly impede your arts or put up guard.

And, got it.
Got Clock Up EX off turn one, Clock Down on four of them on turn two, from that point they were close enough I was able to off them with some Aerials, sans the smart one that used Max Guard just beforehand to get our of range and block an attack. Comet followed by an S-Break took care of that though.

Completed Chapters 5 and 6. Chapter 6 was so awesome, Estelle da best <3

Chapter 6 spoilers

Joshua past was really sad damn. The highlight was the beach scene between Joshua and Estelle. Loved the way she convinced Joshua to come back, it was so since and heartfelt.

Also Weissman is a huge dick. I laughed at the meeting with him playing the organ because it screamed "I AM EVIL"

Also there is a very well hidden fishing rod in Chapter 6. It is pretty funny how you get it.

flowsnake

Talking about mouse controls, is it possible to disable that the cursor automatically sticks to commands/enemies/menu points? Mouse controls are generally pretty good in this game, but a cursor that jumps from point to point even though I didn't move the mouse is the biggest mouse-related sin there is.

I don't think so, that's how Falcom does the mouse UI in all their PC games I think. Never seen any other company do it and it's really jarring.

I did get used to it when I played Xanadu Next though. Or at least tolerate it.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Is it normal for the framerate to drop when I'm at
Liber Ark
?

I'm finished my first playthrough. I'll post more detailed thoughts about the game tomorrow, but for now, all I want to say is:
my opinion of Kevin has greatly improved after seeing how he handled Weissmann

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Surely the characters realize what's going on in chapter 7 and they aren't just running around totally blind.
Not that it matters either way, since there's not really anything else they could do at that point.

On a gameplay related note, god damn Kloe's still a monster. I feel like she could come pretty darn close to soloing the game right now, if not for her low defense and HP. Bracers and whatnot, just go home, Kloe got this. Where's Cassius, maybe he could put up a fight.

Well idk about being "twice as long as FC" since I ended with 55hrs in this and 40 in FC (granted I missed a few sidequests, but that would have only added an hour or so), but nevertheless it was still an experience. Overall I would say it lived up to my expectations and I look forward to continuing with what we get of the series.

Few things of note at the end.
The game definitely has it's cliché moments, especially starting with chapter 7 and the "towers of doom with a boss fight at the top to stall for time so the big bad can do their thing", but the characters are well written enough to look past those clichés. The last boss was pretty underwhelming despite having way too much health and multiple adds that keep being summoned, way easier than trying to do Loewe without a cheese method. The game also gives just enough of a tease with Kevin at the end to keep you wanting more, even if some of his "mystery" was seen from a mile away.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was some garbage luck in that chapter 7 boss.

Renne uses her special on turn one. OHKO's two characters. The robots get petrify on the third character and that's another KO two turns later. Remaining four robots are able to get off the second half of Kloe's HP.

Lost before I even got a single turn in.

Baliis

Well that was some garbage luck in that chapter 7 boss.

Renne uses her special on turn one. OHKO's two characters. The robots get petrify on the third character and that's another KO two turns later. Remaining four robots are able to get off the second half of Kloe's HP.

Lost before I even got a single turn in.

If it makes you feel better, I posted it earlier but
she one hit KOed my whole party with her first attack when I first got to her. Was a bit of a wtf moment.

zakujanai

This game is so screenshot-worthy. Got over a hundred screenshots already... most of it from Olivier's lines.

300 and I'm only near the end of chapter 3. Going to have even more than I did from FC. Even sent a few to my phone to use as wallpapers. Don't know why people find the game ugly, it's the perfect look for my tastes. I'm actually slightly put off a tiny bit by the move to 3d in Cold Steel.

Is there a way to tell what difficulty you're playing on?

Is this game just significantly harder than FC, or what? I'm at the BEGINNING of Chapter 1, and I'm fighting things that are hitting me for 900. It seems... significantly harder than the first game, and I wonder if I bumped up my difficulty on accident.

duckroll

Just beat chapter 1. That was some great shit. Coming right off FC and going into SC definitely makes the entire experience super cohesive. It's funny how Estelle hasn't figured it out yet, or maybe they didn't want to mention it because it's an optional side quest in FC, but
turning the "Phantom Thief" thing from the first game into a major story villain is super awesome. So was all the foreshadowing of the Old Schoolhouse in FC. That room with the statue always looked super dodgy to me!

Is there a way to tell what difficulty you're playing on?

Is this game just significantly harder than FC, or what? I'm at the BEGINNING of Chapter 1, and I'm fighting things that are hitting me for 900. It seems... significantly harder than the first game, and I wonder if I bumped up my difficulty on accident.

Sounds about right to me. The beginning of SC is definitely meant to be much tougher than usual, because it expects the player to be familiar with the game systems and not want much hand holding or easy-mode curve at the start. So it picks off where FC ended, with monsters being tougher and the characters trying to get even stronger. You'll notice that to balance it out, the basic healing arts and balms heal for 1000 now instead. After an hour or two the difficulty will dip a little once you're used to the higher damage thresholds, but overall yeah, the game is definitely harder than FC.

Sounds about right to me. The beginning of SC is definitely meant to be much tougher than usual, because it expects the player to be familiar with the game systems and not want much hand holding or easy-mode curve at the start. So it picks off where FC ended, with monsters being tougher and the characters trying to get even stronger. You'll notice that to balance it out, the basic healing arts and balms heal for 1000 now instead. After an hour or two the difficulty will dip a little once you're used to the higher damage thresholds, but overall yeah, the game is definitely harder than FC.

Ah.

I'm admittedly a bit rusty. I just replayed FC, but I did it on new game plus with all my stuff carried over just for a story and full bracer quest completion run.

Good to know.

Just beat chapter 1. That was some great shit. Coming right off FC and going into SC definitely makes the entire experience super cohesive. It's funny how Estelle hasn't figured it out yet, or maybe they didn't want to mention it because it's an optional side quest in FC, but
turning the "Phantom Thief" thing from the first game into a major story villain is super awesome. So was all the foreshadowing of the Old Schoolhouse in FC. That room with the statue always looked super dodgy to me!

giphy.gif
I played last year and just breezed through the LP to refresh myself so I COMPLETELY forgot about
The Phantom Thief sidequest. Seeing it all come back like this, wow. That's both nuts and awesome. I'm not surprised that there were more secrets in the Old Schoolhouse though, that place reeked of hidden secrets.

This game is so screenshot-worthy. Got over a hundred screenshots already... most of it from Olivier's lines.

That's the main disadvantage of the PSP version to me, since Vita doesn't allow screenshots of it.

I want to screenshot all of Estelles lines ;_;

AlexVu

Neo Member
Well idk about being "twice as long as FC" since I ended with 55hrs in this and 40 in FC (granted I missed a few sidequests, but that would have only added an hour or so), but nevertheless it was still an experience.

It's certainly not twice as long as FC, but it IS twice as big as FC in terms of content. At the very least, you know that depending on what characters you choose to have in your party, scenes will play out differently. Not to mention all the other stuff going on in the background with the NPCs.

Gotta love it when you arrive at a place for the first time for story reasons but the dialogue changes to reflect the fact that you've already been there for a sidequest.

Gotta love it when you arrive at a place for the first time for story reasons but the dialogue changes to reflect the fact that you've already been there for a sidequest.

Or when a sidequest has you looking for someone, but you already saw them, and the game remembers that.

Also, achievement question:
is there a hidden volume of the Doll Knight? I read the whole thing back in Grancel, but I just checked my achievements and it says I am missing a volume.

Anyways, on to the meat of Chapter 6!

Well Chapter 6 is awesome so far
We finally get the explanation for the war, and man that is pretty damned dark. Send in soldiers to your own territory to rape and pillage a town so you can take over Liberl? Jesus. Pretty dark for this game. On the other hand the escape attempt by Estelle may be her crowning moment of badass, so far anyway!

Now on to the escape itself.

#firstworldproblems

If I enable hardware vertex it makes the game run a lot smoother, but then random shit doesn't load correctly and flickers an odd blue color. Turning it off fixes that but the frame rate isn't as good :[

duckroll

#firstworldproblems

If I enable hardware vertex it makes the game run a lot smoother, but then random shit doesn't load correctly and flickers an odd blue color. Turning it off fixes that but the frame rate isn't as good :[

The first time I played FC, I tried turning on hardware vertex and got really weird texture flickers and stuff. So I turned it off and played normally, until I started encountering random stuttering in various places and it was really annoying. I turned hardware vertex back on, turned v-sync off in the settings, and manually forced v-sync for the program on my nvidia control panel. Somehow after that it worked fine and everything is super smooth. I'm playing with the same settings on SC now too. Oh and I think mipmapping should be left off. Not sure what else I did but I think that's about it. Hope it helps!

The first time I played FC, I tried turning on hardware vertex and got really weird texture flickers and stuff. So I turned it off and played normally, until I started encountering random stuttering in various places and it was really annoying. I turned hardware vertex back on, turned v-sync off in the settings, and manually forced v-sync for the program on my nvidia control panel. Somehow after that it worked fine and everything is super smooth. I'm playing with the same settings on SC now too. Oh and I think mipmapping should be left off. Not sure what else I did but I think that's about it. Hope it helps!

Hmm will have to play around with it later

Chapter 7 start:
No Olivier! Don't leave us! You are the best caster in the game!! I need more love!!!!

Actually, I turned Kloe into the mega caster. The Duende slippers are BROKEN. +100 ATS is just plain SICK!

It's no wonder this series has such huge scripts with all the variable dialog.

It really feels like they thought of everything at times.

The massive amount of text was an XSEED nightmare, but it's a dream for all of us. I'm really impressed with the lengths they went to. Even stuff like different NPC dialogue based on who you have in your party, or whichever folks you have along commenting during sidequests makes a big difference.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 7 start:
No Olivier! Don't leave us! You are the best caster in the game!! I need more love!!!!

Actually, I turned Kloe into the mega caster. The Duende slippers are BROKEN. +100 ATS is just plain SICK!

That's what I'm using. Just started chapter 8, ATS is over 700 I think.

Top Bottom