• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Gu4n

Weissmann's death being anticlimactic is part of the point: he never got his glorious moment using the Aureole, and his death is both horrible and perfectly suited for someone as close-minded (and ungrateful to the Grandmaster) as he is now. Furthermore it reveals a side of Kevin seeking atonement for how alike and/or unlike he is to Weissmann, having manipulated Estelle and Joshua in order to serve the Gralsritter. The Aureole probably escaped back into the dimension Celeste D. Auslese and company sealed it within centuries prior, but we might get clarification in 3rd on that + Campanella's role here
.[/SPOILER].
Ending spoiler.
No, the Aureole was stored in the staff Campanella took from Weissmann's crumbled body. Weissmann's staff was, like Loewe's sword, forged through Divergent Laws and is apparently capable of storing a Sept-Terrion. Ouroboros is now in possession of the Aureole.

And well, Weissmann got pretty much killed in the most cruel way possible. Both he, Kevin and Campanella know that.

In the final dungeon, when fighting
Blueblanc
I didn't bring either
Kloe or Olivier.
Did I miss much? On the next fight, against
Walter
I fought him 2 times, once with
Zane and once without Zane.
I thought it was a nice touch, but does it matter enough for me to bring
Schera to fight Luci
and possibly even
Tita to fight Renne
?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In the final dungeon, when fighting
Blueblanc
I didn't bring either
Kloe or Olivier.
Did I miss much? On the next fight, against
Walter
I fought him 2 times, once with
Zane and once without Zane.
I thought it was a nice touch, but does it matter enough for me to bring
Schera to fight Luci
and possibly even
Tita to fight Renne
?

Schera definitely has a scene with Luci. Not sure about Tita and Renne. Olivier and Kloe barely made any difference with Bleublanc so I'd guess Tita and Renne would be similar.

Ending spoiler.
No, the Aureole was stored in the staff Campanella took from Weissmann's crumbled body. Weissmann's staff was, like Loewe's sword, forged through Divergent Laws and is apparently capable of storing a Sept-Terrion. Ouroboros is now in possession of the Aureole.

Wait, what? Was this actually mentioned or explained during the ending and I totally missed it, or is it something that is mentioned in a later game?

duckroll

Finished Chapter 4. Well, "finished" it anyway. As usual the chapter ended but I have a bunch of leftover and extra quests to handle before officially moving to the next region. This batch should take some time to clear so I won't be off to Bose anytime soon.

I really, really liked chapter 4. Going back to Rolent was nostalgic and the emotional aspects of the chapter played out very well. I think this is one of those gold standard moments in JRPGs where character development and worldbuilding really pays off big time. Finally going back to where it all started, and being able to spend a substantial amount of time with all these people again, remembering who they are, seeing how they've progressed along since you left, and reconnecting with the community is really satisfying. The way they played the emotional card with Estelle at the end also felt well earned.

In terms of actual plot development, this was definitely a more reserved chapter compared to 3, but the character stuff more than made up for it. It really feels like chapter 2 is the weak link of the game. The Zeiss stuff should have been handled way better than it was. The cutscenes foreshadowing what might unfold in Bose is fucking hype though. Excited!

Yeah, Ch. 4 has been one of my favorites so far for the reasons you mentioned. Honestly, I think only the Zeiss chapter (2?) has been disappointing to me. But then Zeiss was my least favorite region in FC, too.

Also, there's a lot of "leftover" stuff in Ch. 4 compared to most of the others so far.

duckroll

I really liked Zeiss in FC. In fact, I don't think I felt any particular chapter in FC was significantly weaker than the others. They were all part of the journey Estelle and Joshua took together to grow as Bracers and it worked really well. The problem in SC I feel is that while most of the chapters have really capitalized on what made the regions memorable in FC and expanding on that in fun (Ruan), exciting (Grancel), or emotional (Rolent) ways, Zeiss felt like an afterthought in chapter 2. Most of the running around had nothing at all to do with Zeiss itself, and the forts around Zeiss are simply not interesting places. The sidequests which actually involved the characters and places in Zeiss and the Central Factory were great, but the main story in the chapter was super weak.

Taruranto

iLGSGGD.jpg

I play to see if Anton finds love.

Chapter 7 finished.

Well, things have really hit the fan with the Aureole coming back and everything. Weissman seems to be having everything go his way right now. The chapter was really interesting with the data crystals you could recover giving some very detailed backstory into the world prior to the Septian calendar. Renne is also getting really fucked up.

The start of chapter 8 is already promising some really serious events to go down. It looks like everything should start to move towards the end game.

Gu4n

Wait, what? Was this actually mentioned or explained during the ending and I totally missed it, or is it something that is mentioned in a later game?
Loewe mentions to Weissmann that he was able to cut through his defence because of both weapons follow the same set of laws.

And well, Campanella appeared as soon as Weissmann turned into salt and mentions he "found what he was looking for". He takes Weissmann's staff and warps away. Kevin knows what Campanella came to retrieve, but retrieving it wasn't his primary duty and he knew that. It's a little reading-between-the-lines, but it's really what this series forces you to do.

The 3rd goes a little more into what happens next with Campanella.

I really liked Zeiss in FC. In fact, I don't think I felt any particular chapter in FC was significantly weaker than the others. They were all part of the journey Estelle and Joshua took together to grow as Bracers and it worked really well. The problem in SC I feel is that while most of the chapters have really capitalized on what made the regions memorable in FC and expanding on that in fun (Ruan), exciting (Grancel), or emotional (Rolent) ways, Zeiss felt like an afterthought in chapter 2. Most of the running around had nothing at all to do with Zeiss itself, and the forts around Zeiss are simply not interesting places. The sidequests which actually involved the characters and places in Zeiss and the Central Factory were great, but the main story in the chapter was super weak.
Zeiss in SC really suffers from not having much of anything happening at Leiston Fortress like in FC. There's also less Intelligence Division intrigue happening (all that's reserved for Chapter 3 in SC), and Elmo's not as interesting a place to visit as Jenis Academy. I like Chapter 2, but it's definitely the most disappointing chapter in SC because there's nothing radically new filling the absences. For example, I still don't know what's behind the door in Central Factory B1's warehouse, and that seems like a major gaffe since you do get to visit the door in Rolent Sewers again. Imagine the skeletons in Zeiss's closet!

And well, Campanella appeared as soon as Weissmann turned into salt and mentions he "found what he was looking for". He takes Weissmann's staff and warps away. Kevin knows what Campanella came to retrieve, but retrieving it wasn't his primary duty and he knew that. It's a little reading-between-the-lines, but it's really what this series forces you to do.
I don't remember Weissmann stating his staff could hold the Aureole, and he didn't even know where the artifact had gone after the final boss fight. And since I don't know anything about the Divergent Laws yet, Campanella's comment on the staff was vague in context—I had no idea he'd just snagged the Aureole, which seems very bad if Weissmann's not the only Anguis who could potentially use it. Was there a line from Kevin I overlooked in that sequence
?

Gu4n

No. Neither Campanella nor Kevin say a word about it, but Campanella came to retrieve the staff and Kevin knew why, but didn't intervene since that wasn't part of his mission. This scene wants you to think about why Campanella came to retrieve the staff and there really is just one reason.

Edit:
Oh, and regarding Divergent Laws. That's still a mystery, even seven games into the series. What Loewe says about it in the Final Chapter is: "Yes. The sword granted to me by the Grandmaster. Just like your staff. It's a demon sword forged through the Divergent Laws."

I didn't get the impression here that Campanella was specifically looking for the Aureole, though, and I don't know if that's what the Grandmaster told him to retrieve. Campanella is still a mystery at this point. Sure, I can guess he's much older than he looks and uses his "cosmetics" to look as young as he does, but maybe he just has schadenfreude and collects dead Anguis' weapons as mementos? I also wasn't privy to some of the details in Loewe Monogatari until reading a Steam thread recently, but apparently Weissmann got his staff from the Grandmaster. So maybe Campanella is an errand boy retrieving the Grandmaster's investments...or he's getting it back for the Aureole, but the sequence was still vague enough that I couldn't decisively think he only had one goal either way. The point remains that the Aureole could be anywhere if it hasn't been destroyed, as it's only "disappeared"

Also, about his name:
is Campanella a meaningful reference to Kenji Miyazawa's Night on the Galactic Railroad? I have to wonder who the Kiseki version of Giovanni is, and if Sen I/II or the next Erebonian game will reference this again

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there is some missing context in the translation, because
I don't remember Loewe and Weissman talking about anything except breaking the barrier because their weapons were alike before Loewe got swatted away. There wasn't any indications the weapons could hold the Aureole, IIRC.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder if there is some missing context in the translation, because
I don't remember Loewe and Weissman talking about anything except breaking the barrier because their weapons were alike before Loewe got swatted away. There wasn't any indications the weapons could hold the Aureole, IIRC.

Most of the stuff there is from 3rd. 3rd provides an epilogue to SC and explains a lot of what happened in the ending and a little after the ending in more detail. If you "read between the lines" maybe you can pick up on some of it in SC, but 3rd explains and spells out everything that went on/is going on.

3rd is also where Kevin's missing development in SC is.

This game always impresses me not only just with the world building, but with how much they really think about how the lives of the citizens are in the world, and how each story event will impress people.

(Early Chapter 8 stuff)
With all the orbments being shut down, the game really goes to great lengths to show how this effects everyone when you talk to them. Not just with the whole "modern technology isn't working" aspect, which is obvious, but even just stuff like stores not being able to get in new shipments of goods, food going bad, etc. It's really detailed, and it's one of those touches that really helps this world feel real.

I'm early into chapter 4 but I have this strange eb and pull with this game

I want to play the game whenever I'm not playing, but when I'm playing I'm afraid if I play it too quickly I'll burn though it and be left with no more Trails to play for a long time :[

I am so close to being able to read all these spoilers! It is driving me nuts, I want to click on all the black bars!

I want to play the game whenever I'm not playing, but when I'm playing I'm afraid if I play it too quickly I'll burn though it and be left with no more Trails to play for a long time :[

Fortunately, Cold Steel isn't far off. If it hits in December, it will be perfect timing for me. Not too long after finishing SC, but not too close either. Though I kind of feel like I could play through the whole series at the moment!

(Early Chapter 8 stuff)
With all the orbments being shut down, the game really goes to great lengths to show how this effects everyone when you talk to them. Not just with the whole "modern technology isn't working" aspect, which is obvious, but even just stuff like stores not being able to get in new shipments of goods, food going bad, etc. It's really detailed, and it's one of those touches that really helps this world feel real.
Supply shortfall and food going bad is a major reason the Central Market shops in Bose participate in a mega-discount sale, for that matter (they also need to maintain prices and keep buyers' confidence up). I wonder if temporarily using the ZFG for Ruan's drawbridge was ever a story idea, since that seemed like an obvious thing you could do when visiting the Dalmore House on the other side of town. Sadly not even Norman brings that up, but I guess he's stressed out and powerless to do anything despite winning the election. I also wish a new fishing spot opened up on the bridge checkpoint between Rolent and Bose, or maybe one in Sapphirl Tower because I'm curious like that

wrowa

You've got no Vita or PS3? Trails of Cold Steel should be coming in a month or two.

You've got no Vita or PS3? Trails of Cold Steel should be coming in a month or two.

I do and I have the PS3 collectors edition pre-ordered already, I guess I'm just a tad worried I won't fall in love with the characters and world of Cold Steel as much as I have the Sky cast.

wrowa

I do and I have the PS3 collectors edition pre-ordered already, I guess I'm just a tad worried I won't fall in love with the characters and world of Cold Steel as much as I have the Sky cast.

Oh okay, I actually share those worries with you. However, at the same time I'm also quite excited to learn more about the Erebonian empire. I just hope the school setting won't be too annoying...

I've hit on an annoying bug, I think.

It's one of the monster contracts in Chapter 5, the one in
Krone Pass. I exterminated them and got he extermination message, then went on to the guard post to finish the Missing Lady quest. But when I went to the guild to report both, I only got the reward for the latter, and the monster quest is still on the board. Gonna head back to the pass and see if they've respawned. Otherwise, this is annoying.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Krone Pass. I exterminated them and got he extermination message, then went on to the guard post to finish the Missing Lady quest. But when I went to the guild to report both, I only got the reward for the latter, and the monster quest is still on the board. Gonna head back to the pass and see if they've respawned. Otherwise, this is annoying.

Isn't that where you have three extermination quests to do to progress the story? You can't report those until you finish all three.

Nyoro SF

If I know that spot correctly, It's not a bug, it's just a weird way the bracer notebook tabulates the quest at that part.
There are three monsters to kill and they show up in the notebook as separate line items but the MAIN QUEST is to kill the same noted three monsters, and you can't report and collect money on the three separate quests until you kill all of them, thus advancing the main quest too.

It's like doing four missions at once.

Isn't that where you have three extermination quests to do to progress the story? You can't report those until you finish all three.
If I know that spot correctly, It's not a bug, it's just a weird way the bracer notebook tabulates the quest at that part.
There are three monsters to kill and they show up in the notebook as separate line items but the MAIN QUEST is to kill the same noted three monsters, and you can't report and collect money on the three separate quests until you kill all of them, thus advancing the main quest too.

It's like doing four missions at once.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, both.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Question, how would people rank Trails of Cold Steel to Trails in the Sky FC/SC? What's the general, non-spoiler consensus of ToCS?

Nyoro SF

Question, how would people rank Trails of Cold Steel to Trails in the Sky FC/SC? What's the general, non-spoiler consensus of ToCS?

I played one hour of it and thought Cold Steel was booty buttcheeks. But that's only one hour so we'll see what happens.

Consensus? These games are niche and it's an RPG, meaning there will never be a consensus. People call VC2 a good game for instance.

From what I've read, longtime fans of the series don't seem to care for it because they feel the characters and overall writing are a drop in quality from the Liberl and Crossbell games.

Sera O

Banned
I just finished the game last night. Overall, it was great. I was immediately reminded of why I loved the first part so much. It feels so grounded, and gives has such a sense of place. Even when there are cliche elements, they still hold surprises and are presented really well. I liked most of the characters, too.

My quibbles are about the endgame. Maybe I was underleveled or missed some good ATS equips, but after a certain point, I felt like my damage output made boss battles outlast by far any interest I had in them. Because of this, I found no incentive to do anything besides serve clock down and meatballs for every meal, healing occasionally. In my game,
the Aureole/Weissman and all the Enforcers
were defeated almost solely due to Estelle's cooking.

The layout of the final areas was frustrating as well. I would have loved to see unique dialogue, but it took too much time to
take the teleporter, watch the animation, run three screens down to the elevator, watch the animation, go to the train, watch the animation, run three more screens, enter the ship, remove all orbments and accessories from current member, find other member, set up orbments and accessories, and repeat it all to get back
- just to switch members. If there isn't a convenient base camp, at least make the animations skippable...

I had tons of fun with the game and have spent around 100 hours on it, so whatever criticisms I have are pretty minor in the big picture of how much I enjoyed revisiting Liberl and these characters. For a while there I thought I was getting sick of RPGs, but it turns out I'm just bored by most of them. There are so few games that make me feel "this is awesome!" towards the end when the plot threads come together and shit hits the fan. Even the missable sidequests can give me that feeling - I really liked the one at the Academy, for instance.

I hope that Cold Steel gives me more of what I enjoyed in the Liberl story. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check because one thing I liked is the spread in the age of characters (actual grownups that have their own things going on!). That seems like it would get tightened up in a school setting. I'm looking forward to checking it out, though.

Aeana has talked about this in a few places. It seems Cold Steel 1 is her least favorite but it's a prerequisite for the much better Cold Steel 2:

Cold Steel 2 is one my absolute favorites, Cold Steel 1 is by far my least favorite. If you don't like the school stuff, then it's going to bog down the first half of the game and it'll most likely feel like a chore. It opens up more in the back half, and gets more fun, but it's kind of a too little/too late kind of thing for me. structurally, it's a lot like FC where each chapter functionally resets the tone of the story and you have to once again do missions, etc.

I think I was just really tired of the typical Kiseki first game formula by this point. The school stuff just exacerbated it. Still, it's got rewarding battles and the characters aren't bad, and there's a great story payoff.

(Chapter 8 Ruan stuff)
The whole quest to stop the Jenis Royal Academy hostage situation was pretty awesome. I just walked in hoping to say hi and was greeted with that. It was a pretty cool sequence, and it was neat to get to use Kurt in my party for a little bit. Gilbert is really such a little failure. Every scene of his is just ridiculous.

Going around the school rescuing the hostages was pretty enjoyable, and I liked getting to see most of the students again. Some of the dialogue after the whole thing was over was really good, too.

Just another really neat little sequence in this game.

From what I've read, longtime fans of the series don't seem to care for it because they feel the characters and overall writing are a drop in quality from the Liberl and Crossbell games.

Opinion :

I prefer the Crossbell/Liberl characters over Erebonia's. But that's a preference thing. Personally I don't feel like the quality of writing has declined, but it's definitely different, especially in Cold Steel 1.

The thing that people have to wrap their heads around is just like how FC is a lighthearted adventure journey of two newbie bracers, CS is a day-by-day school slice-of-life of teenage students in a military academy.

CS is essentially a more serious version of the Ruan/Jenis Academy arc in FC, but made into a whole fucking game. By default, the pacing of CS is whack if you hate the idea of being encumbered by the school life pacing.

Which also comes to the characters. Because of the school dynamic, your core cast is introduced to you the player very early on, and those explosion of personalities at one go makes them feel more generic and tropey at first glance. The character development pace in CS is different from FC/SC which is very regional arc focused, which establishes an introduction and development rather early before giving its proper closure in SC. There are more bits and pieces sprinkled around throughout CS.

Dio

Banned
It's very clear they always wanted to make an academy-themed Trails since even FC thanks to that Jenis stuff. At least it's only Cold Steel 1 that's set in a school.

Zephyx

Wait, it is? Ahh shit, that's what's put me off Persona for years... Sigh.

Maybe that's what will get you going. School settings are nice if done correctly. Loved the execution in P4.

Opinion :

I prefer the Crossbell/Liberl characters over Erebonia's. But that's a preference thing. Personally I don't feel like the quality of writing has declined, but it's definitely different, especially in Cold Steel 1.

The thing that people have to wrap their heads around is just like how FC is a lighthearted adventure journey of two newbie bracers, CS is a day-by-day school slice-of-life of teenage students in a military academy.

CS is essentially a more serious version of the Ruan/Jenis Academy arc in FC, but made into a whole fucking game. By default, the pacing of CS is whack if you hate the idea of being encumbered by the school life pacing.

Which also comes to the characters. Because of the school dynamic, your core cast is introduced to you the player very early on, and those explosion of personalities at one go makes them feel more generic and tropey at first glance. The character development pace in CS is different from FC/SC which is very regional arc focused, which establishes an introduction and development rather early before giving its proper closure in SC. There are more bits and pieces sprinkled around throughout CS.

Does the plot resolve completely though? I mean, I'm all in for CS (I believe characters here were developed nicely according to impressions) but I don't want to wait 4 years for a a CS3 if CS2 doesn't close the plot points properly.

max_505

I like school/academy-themed games and anime, so I'm really looking forward to CS. I'm taking my sweet time with SC so that I can immediately jump to CS once I finish it.

Does the plot resolve completely though? I mean, I'm all in for CS (I believe characters here were developed nicely according to impressions) but I don't want to wait 4 years for a a CS3 if CS2 doesn't close the plot points properly.

I never played CS2, just CS1.

But I can answer for CS1.
lol no

Gu4n

Spoiler: Kiseki never closes plot points properly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Spoiler: Kiseki never closes plot points properly.

I think it's more like if ToCS 2 concludes the story at least, similar to TitS SC.

AFAIK regarding ToCS
it's FC all over again, abrupt ending.

Top Bottom