• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

CS looks like it might have addressed these problems. Shame I don't like the aesthetics and setting :(

Hopefully the writing and world building is comparable

World-building is easily on-par. Ironically, the school set-up actually makes the world-building better in some regard, because the characterization is a lot more intimate with your schoolmates (not classmates)

As for writing, I like it, and I think it's comparable, but it's hit-or-miss on some parts. Unlike Aeana, I don't have a beef over the school stuff. My big complaint with Cold Steel, imo, is that it doesn't start off too strongly when it comes to the characters and their initial establishment of their archetypes, so at first glance, you'd not be wrong to feel "man, these characters feel so generic" because the game immediately introduces to the core Class VII cast, who are 9 characters out-the-gate. (not even including the teachers, etc)

As opposed to say, the Crossbell games, that start you off with only 4 characters, or Trails in the Sky that focused strongly on only Joshua/Estelle, with maybe Cassius/Schera out the gate.

krYlon

World-building is easily on-par. Ironically, the school set-up actually makes the world-building better in some regard, because the characterization is a lot more intimate with your schoolmates (not classmates)

Yeah I can see how that could work. I guess I should be more open minded about the setting. There's no reason why a school setting should be inherently bad anyway, it's more my preconceptions.

And I guess it's easy to have preconceptions about even Trails in the Sky, seeing the amount of people who are put off by the first few hours in FC.

Erheller

Don't know if this has been addressed yet, but the Mayor's wife in Chapter 4 is still called "Mayor's Wife" instead of her real name. (Steam version)

I keep hearing people talking about one of the final fights
the Loewe fight
. I am curious why people had problems with it.
I used Agate and Kevin. Kevin had high ATS and high Def and was Support/Titanic Roar. Loewe's S-Craft only did like 75% of everyone's health and he only replicated 2 times against me. Joshua and Agate's AOE S-Crafts had the lions and the replicated Loewes down below half, and once the Lions were dead the fight was super simple. Did I get fortunate on the Replications?

duckroll

I believe we'll get third chapter, no rush honestly let them do cold steel 1/2 and maybe 3 then they can go back in fill in the rest.

If they do commit to 3 and manage to get it out by... let's say 2017, Falcom would almost certainly have announced and/or released at least one brand new Kiseki game by then. Given the choice between working on that new game, or going back and localizing Zero and Ao and having to deal with a whole bunch of platform issues, I think it's obvious what the logical decision is.

Cqef

Ugh. Yes I'm playing with a controller. If possible I would prefer not to have to use a mouse or keyboard when playing a controller-based game! >_<

Is it, though? I mean the game was originally released for PC, so you'd rather think that it was designed more with mouse+keyboard in mind.

duckroll

Is it, though? I mean the game was originally released for PC, so you'd rather think that it was designed more with mouse+keyboard in mind.

Nah, that's like saying Ys games are designed for mouse+keyboard in mind. That's not how it works. Falcom has always made games suited towards controllers regardless of the platform they work on.

Nyoro SF

The difference is that Trails's controls are optimized for mouse and keyboard. It's not just "controllable", per se, it's the most fluid way of playing the game and in battles in particular so it's easy to see it was the input with the highest priority in design.

Yes, it's fine with a controller, but you can tell by using M+KB that it was designed primarily for that control method in mind. One word: menus. lol

krYlon

Nah, that's like saying Ys games are designed for mouse+keyboard in mind. That's not how it works. Falcom has always made games suited towards controllers regardless of the platform they work on.

Xanadu Next though

I know controller support was patched in but Falcom don't always think controller first

If they do commit to 3 and manage to get it out by... let's say 2017, Falcom would almost certainly have announced and/or released at least one brand new Kiseki game by then. Given the choice between working on that new game, or going back and localizing Zero and Ao and having to deal with a whole bunch of platform issues, I think it's obvious what the logical decision is.

Yeah hence my comment about after Cold Steel 3, I can see 3rd/ao/zero being translated in off years or as back burner projects.

duckroll

Yeah hence my comment about after Cold Steel 3, I can see 3rd/ao/zero being translated in off years or as back burner projects.

Wait what. Cold Steel 3? I thought you were talking about 3rd! I definitely see 3rd as a viable project because they can always throw it on Steam, and there's probably less work overall. Zero and Ao though? Unless there's a HD Remaster on PS4 by Falcom coming up, I just don't see it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone else play this game with another window open, namely a web browser? Jeesh the turns in the battles take so freaking long. Especially when you are fightin mobs, or treasure chest battles with 7 monsters in them.

It's one of my favorite thing sabout playing this on PC. You can do something else while waiting for those turns in those long ass battles.

Wait what. Cold Steel 3? I thought you were talking about 3rd! I definitely see 3rd as a viable project because they can always throw it on Steam, and there's probably less work overall. Zero and Ao though? Unless there's a HD Remaster on PS4 by Falcom coming up, I just don't see it.

I mean if we get third and cs1-3 its going to be the big elephant in the room if we don't get the crossbell games.

The obvious next game? I was under the impression CS2 didn't resolve the plot threads from cs1/2

My understanding was there was no official word that the next game would be Cold Steel 3 or even in Erebonia. I have read comments saying that people thought the next one would be CS3, but that it might not be.

There are PC versions of Zero and Ao that were made for the Chinese market. I don't know the feasability of using them as a basis for an English localization though.

My understanding was there was no official word that the next game would be Cold Steel 3 or even in Erebonia. I have read comments saying that people thought the next one would be CS3, but that it might not be.

I believe that it was confirmed that the next game would be in Erebonia, but the title hasn't been confirmed yet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm super early in the game, Chapter 1, is there a quick way to get out of dungeons/back to town besides running all the damn way to the entrance? Does there ever become a quick way?

To that note: how important is grinding in this game? If I remember correctly in FC a big component to combat was your Orbital setup, and your in-battle strategy more than it was your level. Does this ring true in SC? Did/does anyone who's gotten far in this game finding themselves needing to pick up a few levels to keep up with the story bosses?

duckroll

There are PC versions of Zero and Ao that were made for the Chinese market. I don't know the feasability of using them as a basis for an English localization though.

From what I understand, the PC version of Zero was released in Japanese by Falcom after they cleaned up some bugs from the Chinese version, so that's somewhat promising. The fact that there's no Japanese release of Ao PC though.... might not help much.

Nyoro SF

I'm sure deals regarding the PC versions of these games can be made, including the Chinese version of Ao... if Trails does well enough on PC for XSEED to continue working on it...

:(

zakujanai

Don't know if this has been addressed yet, but the Mayor's wife in Chapter 4 is still called "Mayor's Wife" instead of her real name. (Steam version)

I raised that earlier in the thread and someone said that it was supposed to have been fixed and they'd try to get it sorted. I was saddened to see her existence sill defined by her husband.

Credo

I played the first game on PSP but decided to play Trails: SC on PC. I got it through GOG, and I downloaded a completed game save file from the first game, but I can't get Trails: SC to recognize it. I went to the directory "C:\Users\*****\Saved Games\FALCOM" and then put the save file into both the ED_SORA2 and ED6_SORA2 folders just to cover all bases, but it does nothing.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing to get it to recognize the completed game save file?

krYlon

I'm super early in the game, Chapter 1, is there a quick way to get out of dungeons/back to town besides running all the damn way to the entrance? Does there ever become a quick way?

To that note: how important is grinding in this game? If I remember correctly in FC a big component to combat was your Orbital setup, and your in-battle strategy more than it was your level. Does this ring true in SC? Did/does anyone who's gotten far in this game finding themselves needing to pick up a few levels to keep up with the story bosses?

I'm on chapter 8 and haven't felt the need to grind at all. Characters level up really quickly if they're underlevelled anyway.

And no there's no quick way out of dungeons.

Psxphile

Yeah, it's called equipping a Haze quartz and dodging every monster on the field between point A and point B. :p

But seriously, there isn't.

Unless you're grinding for sepith or monster drops, you shouldn't be grinding at all. Experience yields shrink as you level up, after you gain a few the same enemies will give you piddling XP. Move on.

I played the first game on PSP but decided to play Trails: SC on PC. I got it through GOG, and I downloaded a completed game save file from the first game, but I can't get Trails: SC to recognize it. I went to the directory "C:\Users\*****\Saved Games\FALCOM" and then put the save file into both the ED_SORA2 and ED6_SORA2 folders just to cover all bases, but it does nothing.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing to get it to recognize the completed game save file?

The completed save file should be in FC's save folder. SORA2 implies Second Chapter.

Credo

The completed save file should be in FC's save folder. SORA2 implies Second Chapter.

The only folders I have are ED_SORA2 and ED6_SORA2. I played FC on PSP, so that's why I don't have a folder for it on my PC. Is there a way to create and name a folder a certain way so that SC thinks it's the FC save folder?

Dice//

Banned
I'm on chapter 8 and haven't felt the need to grind at all. Characters level up really quickly if they're underlevelled anyway.

And no there's no quick way out of dungeons.

I feel like Shining Pom encounters are....kinda glitched? I've noticed certain enemies can have them along, I've literally encountered them three times in a row, used 'fighting food', and that chapter's level and tons of septium in the process.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The relatively low difficulty and exp scaling allows you to skip most encounters and be fine. Definitely no need to grind for levels, but you may want to situationally for drops (mostly for quests) or sepith.

Famassu

The only folders I have are ED_SORA2 and ED6_SORA2. I played FC on PSP, so that's why I don't have a folder for it on my PC. Is there a way to create and name a folder a certain way so that SC thinks it's the FC save folder?
The saves in the OP should already be in the right folders. Just extract those to the FALCOM folder and that should be it.

EDIT: Oh, wait, sorry, they aren't. But just download that, create a folder named ED6 into the FALCOM folder and put the save file in there.

Shouta

What is Cold Steel 3?! There's only space in the box to hold 2 games!

The current speculation is that we'll be getting another game based around the setting from Cold Steel 1/2. There's still a lot to cover in there

Cold Steel I and II are much more of a single, continuous game than even FC and SC are. The setting for the game is also massssive and there's still a bit of story related to all the current games out that needs to be resolved.

krYlon

I feel like Shining Pom encounters are....kinda glitched? I've noticed certain enemies can have them along, I've literally encountered them three times in a row, used 'fighting food', and that chapter's level and tons of septium in the process.

It's way too easy to kill them with food. That has to be an oversight or something. I feel like I'm cheating. I also found a lot more of them than I expected in certain areas, I think Mistwald was one? And the towers.

FIN

Enjoyed it from start to finish. I think I ended @360 BP, so not too bad for a mostly blind playthrough (a friend pointed me towards a couple hidden quest). I've got a few lingering questions, but I assume they would be answered in the 3rd Chapter; (Ending Spoilers)
That scene with Kevin and Campanella at the end, left me wanting to know more about the Gralsritter

Here's to putting all my hope into a localization for 3rd :(

Edit -- Welp, just watched the OP for 3rd, I need it!

Credo

The saves in the OP should already be in the right folders. Just extract those to the FALCOM folder and that should be it.

EDIT: Oh, wait, sorry, they aren't. But just download that, create a folder named ED6 into the FALCOM folder and put the save file in there.

That worked! Thank you very much!

Psxphile

Just reached a certain point in Chapter 6:
I was able to beat Gilbert and his troop, but it took me 3 tries and a major reworking of my available Quartz and equipment to weather their attacks. Didn't know I was up against a time limit, too. However, didn't get the achievement for it. What gives?

Also, is this a known bug because it seems unavoidable:
Immediately afterwards and Joshua in tow, I find the controls freeze when I approach those electrified obstacles that spring up from the ground, as if I've gotten stuck but in open space.

Just reached a certain point in Chapter 6:
I was able to beat Gilbert and his troop, but it took me 3 tries and a major reworking of my available Quartz and equipment to weather their attacks. Didn't know I was up against a time limit, too. However, didn't get the achievement for it. What gives?

Also, is this a known bug because it seems unavoidable:
Immediately afterwards and Joshua in tow, I find the controls freeze when I approach those electrified obstacles that spring up from the ground, as if I've gotten stuck but in open space.

Beating him is a requirement for an achievement later on

Marow

I just finished it. All I can say is that it's been a fantastic journey and I'm so incredibly glad to have experienced it. Trails in the Sky has without doubt become one of my favorite games and probably the best JRPG I've played. I can't really begin to describe what I love about it.

Before I head into discussions I will need to sit down and think back on the games and let the feeling linger. For those who've also finished it, however, I do have one question:

Did I just miss Carpe Fulgur being mentioned in the credits, or were they omitted?

Did I just miss Carpe Fulgur being mentioned in the credits, or were they omitted?
They're not omitted, but they're not individually credited either, so it's easier to miss than I'd like.

Also, I did the
Ravennue Mine Archaism extermination
in Chapter 6. I'm surprised these places are so...tiny (expanded layouts aside), or maybe I'm just expecting them to be larger even if you only visit a couple of the supposed many dotting Liberl. The side areas you weren't able to explore until now satisfy my curiosity, but not by much.
Gilbert
's appearance is kind of neat though, and if you're being thorough on a first playthrough this would be ominous. Honestly I liked talking with the guards before and after most.

Finalow

I usually play PC games with a controller when possible but playing with the mouse works really well both in this game and FC, I never felt the need to switch to a controller for a better experience, to be honest. I guess they did some optimization work on it

The current speculation is that we'll be getting another game based around the setting from Cold Steel 1/2. There's still a lot to cover in there

I never played CS2, but this was something I got spoiled upon, but it was a little bit disappointing to hear that :

CS2 hear-say light spoiler:
That Olivier and co.'s role in CS2 is very minimal, as they pull a Cassius Bright all over again where the experienced adults have to go off to the higher level enemy territories of Erebonia that the game doesn't cover. CS1 to me felt as much as a hype-boiler for not just Class VII to ditch their school life, but also Olivier & Alfin to step up the center stage in the sequel itself.

Bladenic

Chapter 3 was frankly boring as fuck but the stuff at the end made it all worthwhile.

Also I'm honestly really upset cuz it seems I screwed up BP. So I still have one sidequest to do, then I will have 150 BP when the guide says I should have 152. Well, the supposed loss of BP is from a choice in chapter 3
about Renne and how she entered the country. The guide said to pick the bottom of the two options and that's exactly what I did, but apparently that's wrong?
A glitch? Either way I'm sad :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 3 was frankly boring as fuck but the stuff at the end made it all worthwhile.

Also I'm honestly really upset cuz it seems I screwed up BP. So I still have one sidequest to do, then I will have 150 BP when the guide says I should have 152. Well, the supposed loss of BP is from a choice in chapter 3
about Renne and how she entered the country. The guide said to pick the bottom of the two options and that's exactly what I did, but apparently that's wrong?
A glitch? Either way I'm sad :(

I think that choice is glitched and doesn't give BP that it is supposed to. Though I did see a BP guide that didn't even mention BP for that.

Top Bottom