• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

I can't find the monster I'm supposed to hunt in the Highlands (chapter 3). The general says its north of Zender Gate in the basin. There's no marker for it on my map. Anyone know anything to help me find it?

I can't find the monster I'm supposed to hunt in the Highlands (chapter 3). The general says its north of Zender Gate in the basin. There's no marker for it on my map. Anyone know anything to help me find it?
Spoilers!
head towards the watchtower. It's kinda in the middle of the circle fields once you take a right coming from the fort to tell watchtower.
best way to describe it sorry if it's bad ;p

So, few questions about NG+. Since bonding status can carry over, do characters you've already done an event for, have a point above their head like you ones you haven't done one for yet? Would rather not have to just now start keeping track of which ones I've done already, if everyone has an exclamation mark again.

Also, since it's sounds like it's a point system, just how much are you able to bring over with a normal mode file? Like can you carry over levels, bonding events and a few other things? Or is it really stingy with the points and only lets you do 2-3 things?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The dialogue in this game is unreal.

Every incidental character is so well-developed and connected to the larger world, if you're not talking to everyone after every major scene you're seriously doing yourself a disservice. I'm glad this game though makes this kind of easy thanks to displaying every NPC on the map, enabling quick travel to help you get around, and as I recently discovered holding R1 lets you run!

I also think the game has rather nice pacing, giving you a small amount of Quests each time as opposed to bombarding you with countless ones so you feel eager to do them as opposed to saving them for later, and each Quest so far has been fairly simple and rewarding in terms of story.

Game's great. One question though, what's up with having those bond scenes with non-playable characters? I want to use them for the actual party members, but I'm worried I'm missing out on something by skipping the ones with Sarah and the Council President---though I recall hearing MAJOR SPOILERS
there's actually another playable character?

Bladenic

Every incidental character is so well-developed and connected to the larger world, if you're not talking to everyone after every major scene you're seriously doing yourself a disservice. I'm glad this game though makes this kind of easy thanks to displaying every NPC on the map, enabling quick travel to help you get around, and as I recently discovered holding R1 lets you run!

I also think the game has rather nice pacing, giving you a small amount of Quests each time as opposed to bombarding you with countless ones so you feel eager to do them as opposed to saving them for later, and each Quest so far has been fairly simple and rewarding in terms of story.

Game's great. One question though, what's up with having those bond scenes with non-playable characters? I want to use them for the actual party members, but I'm worried I'm missing out on something by skipping the ones with Sarah and the Council President---though I recall hearing MAJOR SPOILERS

Some of those scenes update a character's profile with additional notes. Not really important if you're not going for the trophies.

As for what you said at the end, I'm in chapter 4 and
I've had 2 additional characters become playable. Plus Sara is playable in the opening. Granted 2 were playable for short time and another was only one battle, but odds are they'll fully join later. Or maybe in CS2?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This first Chapter 3 area really kinda bites. Waaayyy to big for really no good reason. Plenty of baddies at least!

Every incidental character is so well-developed and connected to the larger world, if you're not talking to everyone after every major scene you're seriously doing yourself a disservice.
I feel the opposite way! It'd be a chore zoomin' around talking to every single person ever over an over. The old tried & true once an done approach ta talking to peeps works for me especially when I wanna get outta the slower parts of the game.

Psxphile

Ugh, making such slow progress. Still in Chapter 1, second day of the field study. I wasn't impressed at abusing Simple Omelet cooking to make money but once you can afford to buy tons of ingredients at once it gets a little more rewarding per try. I had to mass-cook about 20 times or so, which earned me enough mira to buy out just about everything in town. Finally, I no longer feel like a pauper student living off cup-o-noodles (or the Erebonian equivalent).

Bladenic

Holy crap I just realized/remembered that (FC/SC character spoilers and Rean spoilers)
Anelace was the granddaughter of Rean's teacher (I think) and uses the same sword style.

Amon37

I played some Tits game on psp awhile back that ended
with someone dude just taking off and leaving a girl alone. I vaguely remember.
I tried looking at the chronology pics but did a sequel release in the west or should I just jump to this game?

Dio

Banned
I played some Tits game on psp awhile back that ended
with someone dude just taking off and leaving a girl alone. I vaguely remember.
I tried looking at the chronology pics but did a sequel release in the west or should I just jump to this game?

Trails in the Sky First Chapter is what you played. Second Chapter, aka SC is the sequel to that and resolves that story thread. They're two halves of the same game, although SC is the biggest game in the entire franchise and one of the most beloved entries in Trails. You even can transfer your save file from FC to SC.

That being said, you can jump into Cold Steel if you don't care about resolving that storyline. Cold Steel is a great place to jump in for newcomers.

Gu4n

So, few questions about NG+. Since bonding status can carry over, do characters you've already done an event for, have a point above their head like you ones you haven't done one for yet? Would rather not have to just now start keeping track of which ones I've done already, if everyone has an exclamation mark again.

Also, since it's sounds like it's a point system, just how much are you able to bring over with a normal mode file? Like can you carry over levels, bonding events and a few other things? Or is it really stingy with the points and only lets you do 2-3 things?
You get 5 carry-over points for each subsequent playthrough up to 15 after your third. What carries over and its costs are as follows:
- Link Levels/Rush/Burst (0)
- Mira/Sepith (1)
- Items (1)
- Notes (1)
- Character Levels (2)
- Final Chapter's special outfits (1)
- Other outfits (1) -- not quite sure what this refers to, but I assume their personal clothing
- Swim wear (2)
- 300.000 Mira and 3.000 of each Sepith (2)
- Unlimited Bonding points (4)

Jiraiza

Two, in fact.

Xenoflare

Holy crap I just realized/remembered that (FC/SC character spoilers and Rean spoilers)
Anelace was the granddaughter of Rean's teacher (I think) and uses the same sword style.

This is what I like and hate about Trails

Every single character are interconnected, to a point that it becomes formulaic.

You get 5 carry-over points for each subsequent playthrough up to 15 after your third. What carries over and its costs are as follows:
- Mira/Sepith (1)
- Items (1)
- Notes (1)
- Character Levels (2)
- Other outfits (1) -- not quite sure what this refers to, but I assume their personal clothing
- Swim wear (2)

Have to put some thought into it then I see lol. They really don't want you to get those outfits or bonding points on a 2nd run without sacrificing good shit it seems.

Xenoflare

Side quest spoiler

It's clever for Falcom to spice the simple fetch quest a little
The one with the flowers and twins, honestly I thought the side quest was going to be the most basic fetch quest. I thought it would even ask me questions about what kind of flowers I want

Edit: oh yeah this game is a battery hog. I had my vita plugged in and 2 hours of it actually made it from charged to charging again

aravuus

- Mira/Sepith (1)
- Items (1)
- Notes (1)
- Character Levels (2)
- Swim wear (2)

Didn't know there's NG+.

I was kiinda not a fan of TiTS's battle system (hated it in fact lol), anyone mind sending me their clear save game I could use to start on NG+ right away? Unless it's.. Copy-protected or something.

I'd love to be able to fully focus on the story and characters

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Side quest spoiler

It's clever for Falcom to spice the simple fetch quest a little
The one with the flowers and twins, honestly I thought the side quest was going to be the most basic fetch quest. I thought it would even ask me questions about what kind of flowers I want

Edit: oh yeah this game is a battery hog. I had my vita plugged in and 2 hours of it actually made it from charged to charging again

What I really appreciate is them not needing to pad the game with generic fetch quests but with tons of character development and NPCs to talk to.
And yes this game keeps making me think my Vita's Batt is dying.

Chapter 3
June 27

Is it me or does the guardian of the Nord Highlands look like a giant robot that's stuck there for ages? I've seen enough mechas that it feels like a giant robot to me. :eek:

Didn't know there's NG+.

I was kiinda not a fan of TiTS's battle system (hated it in fact lol), anyone mind sending me their clear save game I could use to start on NG+ right away? Unless it's.. Copy-protected or something.

I'd love to be able to fully focus on the story and characters

Both versions have account bound saves because of trophies.

Xenoflare

It took me a long time to recall why I found Jusis's design nostalgic yet off putting.

He looks like Chester from YsF

I hated that boss fight

But Jusis is cool though

Dio

Banned
What did you think of the
Unlimited Blade Works
there?

That was my immediate thought. I always thought that was a cool concept even divorced from that series.

Yeah, the entire sequence is awesome. It really makes me curious
about how connected this old society was with mental imagery. Like, my first thought was after the dream regarding 'wait, so the people from the time period were advanced enough to do all this, and there was probably a really good reason why the imagery for that fight was in a blackened landscape filled with blades. The fact that Rean is essentially being given a war machine must be at least somewhat connected with the imagery present. I mean, the entire thing was a 'test' to give the Ashen Power to Rean but, like, I feel like there was more to it than 'it looks cool.'

omgfloofy

Banned
Oh, whoops. I thought that wasn't official. That's cooler, actually.

I love it. I think that art shows that the transfer from the early design to their 3D view of the scene went really smoothly, because I think the imagery you see when you get there is very similar.

Dio

Banned
I love it. I think that art shows that the transfer from the early design to their 3D view of the scene went really smoothly, because I think the imagery you see when you get there is very similar.

Yeah, in the end despite animations being subpar (I'm especially sensitive because that's my profession) I was actually able to look past that and the game was so strong that the animation stuff is my only big nitpick about the entire title.

From an art standpoint, the actual game itself (despite the actual polycount, textures and generally simpler 3D work) really came together and looks like a lived-in world that is artistically consistent. Also, the fact that there are a lot of things that aren't necessarily alive that move around and don't NEED to be given lifelike animations helps a little - like random enemies on the field that are obviously not biological in construction 'sells' the animation a little more because they don't conform to needing to animate like the monsters on the field that are clearly alive.

The fact that Cold Steel II has far, FAR improved animations makes me all that much more excited for what's in store, on top of the praise that's being heaped on it for being even better than the first game.

Dio

Banned
Also, I wrote up a really long post detailing what I loved about this soundtrack but deleted it. It'd probably not be very feasible since I can't decide what to spoiler and not to spoiler.

I can at least say that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDWIPftf1M

"To Become the Foundation of an Era" reminds me of a mix between Falcom-style tracks with hella violins and ZTS-style trance/electronic pulsing beat in the background. It's a lot like listening to worldenddominator or dreamenddischarger from the Umineko no Naku Koro Ni soundtrack but with a Falcom touch to it. It's especially clear when the song hits :42 and the background beat hits.

It almost makes me feel like the music is evolving and getting more and more 'modern' with the franchise as the game world's technology rapidly moves forward.

Any tips on getting Mira? I did the omelette thing in Chapter 1, and it worked ok, but now in Chapter 2, I am nearly out of Mira after upgrading everyone. Resources are even more of a bitch in this game than they were in TiTS.

Bladenic

Also, I wrote up a really long post detailing what I loved about this soundtrack but deleted it. It'd probably not be very feasible since I can't decide what to spoiler and not to spoiler.

I can at least say that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JDWIPftf1M

"To Become the Foundation of an Era" reminds me of a mix between Falcom-style tracks with hella violins and ZTS-style trance/electronic pulsing beat in the background. It's a lot like listening to worldenddominator or dreamenddischarger from the Umineko no Naku Koro Ni soundtrack but with a Falcom touch to it. It's especially clear when the song hits :42 and the background beat hits.

It almost makes me feel like the music is evolving and getting more and more 'modern' with the franchise as the game world's technology rapidly moves forward.

"Don't be defeated by a friend" is second only to Silver Will as my fave track from the franchise.

Dio

Banned
Any tips on getting Mira? I did the omelette thing in Chapter 1, and it worked ok, but now in Chapter 2, I am nearly out of Mira after upgrading everyone. Resources are even more of a bitch in this game than they were in TiTS.

The big mira earning key in this game is to sell sepith masses to store merchants. I didn't really have any issues with money after I realized this.

When you kill monsters, you not only get regular ass sepith, you also get the masses at the bottom of the list of sepith>mira exchange at vendors - if you go to a non-orbal vendor, one that just sells cheese or something, you will only be able to trade them sepith masses when you exchange sepith for mira with them.

Vamphuntr

Equip the septium vein quartz when you get it. It increase the drop rate of all sepiths including masses. Sell masses for money.

Finally finished chapter 2 (about 20+ hours). Story beats in this chapter are excellent. Always learning something new about some characters that makes more sympathetic, resolving minor mysteries, and getting intriguing clues into future mysteries surrounding other characters' backgrounds. Jusis' brother is a boss and Sara is really growing on me.

Also, this is a minor thing, but I appreciate how there's some kind of reasonable story justification for the characters getting stronger each chapter. Combat and tactics are a big part of their school study, and they're also getting used to working together and w/ their unusual orbments.

Finally finished chapter 2 (about 20+ hours). Story beats in this chapter are excellent. Always learning something new about some characters that makes more sympathetic, resolving minor mysteries, and getting intriguing clues into future mysteries surrounding other characters' backgrounds. Jusis' brother is a boss and Sara is really growing on me.

Also, this is a minor thing, but I appreciate how there's some kind of reasonable story justification for the characters getting stronger each chapter. Combat and tactics are a big part of their school study, and they're also getting used to working together and w/ their unusual orbments.

I dunno if I was sightly over leveled or if the game intentionally scaled group b to be about a level under group a because if it was intentional its brilliant.

I dunno if I was sightly over leveled or if the game intentionally scaled group b to be about a level under group a because if it was intentional its brilliant.

Interesting, didn't notice myself. If so, good for the developers for making some effort to tie gameplay strength in an rpg into story-related strength/experience.

Raytow

Found the last two chapters disappointing
up to the part the game says here take Escaflowne, which was all kinds of awesome the cliffhanger was a total kick in the nads tho
Oh forgot asking something about Sharon
she is an oroborous agent, so why they don't arrest her, isn't that group the bad guys from TitS?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

It has to be intentional, and it is quite brilliant in its subtle detail.

Though, to be fair, the attention to detail in the game is insane. Even with side characters and NPC's you see heavy character development, blink and you miss a huge world being developed around the main characters. Characters who frequent a store frequently starts becoming employees. Noble children who make friends with commoners irk parents who want to continue the status quo.

One thing that really is great about the game is that there is an entire world developing outside the main cast, and it is a sense of world development that is missed by 99.999% of JRPG's.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Chapter 3
Nord Highlands

200_s.gif

When the music kicks in

QnKEsGt.gif

Taruranto

I really need to start grinding a bit, Chapter 2 boss was kicking my ass, my characters kept getting killed.

Even in the Old School I take a lot of damage right now, ugh.

Top Bottom