• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

If
Rean somehow use the power of friendship to make Crow become "good friends " again...

Random thought on the 3rd game
based on anime cliches.

I can see that outcome because ARCUS links could play a part. I'd rather not have such an ending though (Unless they make it really, really good. Knowing Falcom...it might happen in a good way) . Hopefully it takes a darker turn.

Varion

I kinda saw it coming, but that made me more excited when it actually happened. Playable Mechas in Trails? YES PLEASE!
More end game spoilers, obviously:
It still kind of blows my mind that Falcom actually spoiled this before release. The final commercial a few weeks before the game came out actually shows Valimar running up to Ordine and attacking mid-battle. So everyone who saw that ad kind of knew it was coming eventually. This does also mean that yes, they really did show the final boss battle in a TV ad.

More end game spoilers, obviously:
It still kind of blows my mind that Falcom actually spoiled this before release. The final commercial a few weeks before the game came out actually shows Valimar running up to Ordine and attacking mid-battle. So everyone who saw that ad kind of knew it was coming eventually. This does also mean that yes, they really did show the final boss battle in a TV ad.

Whoa. I'm glad I don't watch commercials or trailers. >_>

Vamphuntr

Finally beat it. The last 2-3 hours were really amazing. I felt it redeemed the first 3/4 of the game that felt like a boring slog to me because of the school stuff. My guesses to all the twists were pretty much spot on too!

Hoping the second game runs better than the first performance wise. This is pretty embarrassing to have a game chug like this in 2015. The Vita version often slow down to a crawl in cities and even in some battles.

Jiraiza

Finally beat it. The last 2-3 hours were really amazing. I felt it redeemed the first 3/4 of the game that felt like a boring slog to me because of the school stuff. My guesses to all the twists were pretty much spot on too!

Hoping the second game runs better than the first performance wise. This is pretty embarrassing to have a game chug like this in 2015. The Vita version often slow down to a crawl in cities and even in some battles.

It's technically a game from 2013, though that doesn't excuse the janky performance. Damn you fog!

The Vita performance hasnt really been bothering me even when the slowdown does pop up

Im probably more tolerant and casual with my play though.

I just made it back to the prologue so your comment on the last bits of the game excite me. Also have a tinge of sadness since I know ill immediately want to start on the sequel and will have to wait :p

hawk2025

Is there any reason at all for spending bonding points with Sara instead of an actual playable character?

Why would I do that instead of gaining the link experience?

By the way, 10 hours and I just started chapter 2... how long IS this game!

CrazyDude

Is there any reason at all for spending bonding points with Sara instead of an actual playable character?

I finishes chapter 1 at 9 hours and I am currently in chapter 6 at 60 hours.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Question about DLC costumes: do the costumes show up on the camp/status screens?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Lame. It even has art for them on the store. :/

Erheller

I don't know if there's anything else because I'm only in Chapter 5, but I think in Chapter 4
if you did all possible bonding events with her (2 at that point, I think?) you get an extra scene in the former Bracer Guild branch.

Droplet

I think this where they didn't really explain that well for mech combat but basically every time C takes a stance 1/3 of the part can be unbalanced which will grants you an additional attack. Pretty much u want to get to rush mode asap for huge damage

Haha, no that was explained just fine. (end spoilers)
I think another poster above explained my problems better, it felt more like a puzzle than a battle. I probably only managed to get out of it by using the buff craft and not letting Crow pull off his rush attack. I don't know, I wouldn't be anywhere near this mad if it wasn't the final battle. It just felt so cheap and not very well designed.

Other questions:

Is there an epilogue for this game I didn't get? I think there might have been one mentioned in a guide, but I'm not sure if they just translated something differently? And I'm not sure I want to replay this immediately, but the new game+ menu says something about alternate outfits? Are those the summer clothes or what?

I don't know if there's anything else because I'm only in Chapter 5, but I think in Chapter 4
if you did all possible bonding events with her (2 at that point, I think?) you get an extra scene in the former Bracer Guild branch.

Is this scene on youtube?

Question about DLC costumes: do the costumes show up on the camp/status screens?[/

Nooe! Also I didn't buy Laura's but yikes it's ugly. I don't like most of them beside Rean Alisa and Gaius which I all bought.

Yeah the DLC costumes are very pricey and underwhelming... bummer.

hawk2025

So probably best to just focus on gameplay-impacting bonds for the first playthrough, then, to make Nightmare mode more tractible on a second playthrough.

Vamphuntr

The Vita performance hasnt really been bothering me even when the slowdown does pop up

Im probably more tolerant and casual with my play though.

I just made it back to the prologue so your comment on the last bits of the game excite me. Also have a tinge of sadness since I know ill immediately want to start on the sequel and will have to wait :p

I've never been a really big FPS nut even though I'm gaming mostly on PC but this game is pretty terrible performance wise. The last two cities destroy the FPS. And twice I thought the game was crashing while trying to load a cutscene. Every time there is a bunch of shadow to render or particles (petals, fog) it runs poorly. Loading time for some dungeons after battles is pretty long too. Especially the last schoolhouse level.

Best part of the game
*LAST CHAPTER SPOILER*
When the instructors fight the Gundam (it had to have gundams right?)at the entrance of Trista. The school Nurse has a Sniper Rifle and even the history teacher can cast high level arts. Shut up Thomas! And the reveal with Sharon. As soon as Claire mentioned her second employer I guessed it.

I've never been a really big FPS nut even though I'm gaming mostly on PC but this game is pretty terrible performance wise. The last two cities destroy the FPS. And twice I thought the game was crashing while trying to load a cutscene. Every time there is a bunch of shadow to render or particles (petals, fog) it runs poorly. Loading time for some dungeons after battles is pretty long too. Especially the last schoolhouse level.

Best part of the game
*LAST CHAPTER SPOILER*
When the instructors fight the Gundam (it had to have gundams right?)at the entrance of Trista. The school Nurse has a Sniper Rifle and even the history teacher can cast high level arts. Shut up Thomas! And the reveal with Sharon. As soon as Claire mentioned her second employer I guessed it.

Im probably more tolerant because its portable... allows me to play more and hop in and out with relative ease so the tradeoff works

I do hope the sequel is improved performance wise regardless lol

SolVanderlyn

I feel empty having beaten this game. I basically did a huge gauntlet from SC to the end of Cold Steel and now I'm a soulless husk of a man.

Final Dungeon Music was excellent. Minor spoilers, I suppose, click at your own risk.

Overall, I'd say that SC > Cold Steel > FC for me, although I adored each and every game.

SolVanderlyn

The Kiseki series has been adding additional content on the second playthrough since at least Zero or Ao no Kiseki.
What's added in Cold Steel?

Dio

Banned
Hm, good question. I spoiler tagged out of an abundance of caution, but I suppose there's no harm if that's the case.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that if it's widely distributed promotional material for the game, it doesn't really count as a spoiler. Well, unless it's the spoileriffic CS2 trailers and a couple images.

Hell, the Trails of Azure limited edition comes with Nendoroids of the characters in their swimsuits as seen in this picture.

Here's a picture of the place you're thinking of:

kpxhyDy.jpg

SolVanderlyn

2011 Crossbell Calendar

The year we got Sora FC

lol

How do I get chapter 9 of red moon? It says talk to Tim on 7/26 in dreichels plaza but all he talks about is the boys bullying the girls and taking pics of the parade. I talked to him at the start of the day and now I'm right at the last possible spot before
going to mater park to meet alfin

Nyoro SF

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that if it's widely distributed promotional material for the game, it doesn't really count as a spoiler. Well, unless it's the spoileriffic CS2 trailers and a couple images.

Hell, the Trails of Azure limited edition comes with Nendoroids of the characters in their swimsuits as seen in this picture.

Here's a picture of the place you're thinking of:

The quote from Falcom's president about boobs is coming to mind lol

How do I get chapter 9 of red moon? It says talk to Tim on 7/26 in dreichels plaza but all he talks about is the boys bullying the girls and taking pics of the parade. I talked to him at the start of the day and now I'm right at the last possible spot before
going to mater park to meet alfin

Start the mater park event and come back to tim

Dio

Banned
The swimsuits are actually in the game, too. So it's not just the artwork.

No, I realise that. I'm saying that the promo art and Nendos both show the swimsuits and a bit of the theme park to people before they've even played the game. That's why I brought it up in context to 'spoilers.'

I'm hoping the identiy of comrade c isn't the obvious answer I first came to
that being crow, he's the only major cast member I can think of who's name starts with a c

Okay there's claire, but c is clearly a guy

I'm hoping the identiy of comrade c isn't the obvious answer I first came to
that being crow, he's the only major cast member I can think of who's name starts with a c

Okay there's claire, but c is clearly a guy

Ha ha, that seems very far fetched. I was wondering about the
C hancelor
myself.

Ha ha, that seems very far fetched. I was wondering about the
C hancelor
myself.

Playing both sides against each other to start a war for his own gain? Yeah I can see that

And while Crow does seem far fetched I find it odd his character has gotten such a focus through the story, your mystery masked villain should generally be someone the audience knows and is connected with so the reveal has impact

pariah164

I may be halting play of this for a bit; I know it ends
on a cliffhanger, because Falcom feeds on our tears
, and I want the experience to last before I'm filled with aching despair over Cold Steel 2 not having a release date yet.

I did the same thing with Trails in the Sky; I still need to beat it so I can buy SC.

Playing both sides against each other to start a war for his own gain? Yeah I can see that

And while Crow does seem far fetched I find it odd his character has gotten such a focus through the story, your mystery masked villain should generally be someone the audience knows and is connected with so the reveal has impact

Definitely agree with that. He just seems too much like lightweight to me (although it would certainly be a good surprise!).

I'd actually been assuming it was someone important from the other series like C assius Bright

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Something that bummed me out about the endgame was that
despite the fact that all of Class VII rushes into the final dungeon / out to the final bosses, you're not allowed ta bring 'em all along. The whole team deserved to see the schoolhouse through to the end, n/m defending the school
!

Yes, the sequel makes those kind of fights actually enjoyable. The one at the end of Cold Steel is more like a badly designed puzzle.
Whaaaat? People had trouble with those battles and thought they sucked?? I loved 'em an caught on how they worked real quick! Not even the final one gave me trouble! Those were like the coolest fights of the game >_<!

hotsoup

It varies a lot with difficulty. On nightmare you can barely make a mistake and also some RNG involved (like the AI did not manage to stagger you).

Day 1 of the Chapter 4 field study is done.
I'm glad they finally resolved the Laura/Fie stuff, because it had dragged on for awhile. The way it wrapped up made sense, and Fie's backstory was really captivating. I'm guessing that we'll probably be seeing some more stuff from Fie's background effecting things later on, but this was a really moving story just on its own, and Fie has really become one of my very favorite characters.

It's also nice to see Elliot getting some more focus. While his personal drama is certainly not necessarily of the same magnitude as that of Fie or Alisa, there's some good emotional content there, and he's such a nice guy.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
It varies a lot with difficulty. On nightmare you can barely make a mistake and also some RNG involved (like the AI did not manage to stagger you).
Can't the same can be said for rng on any difficulty? Ch.6 bosses wrecked me the first time, but on second go was a total chump. And neither time did I see
his S-Craft, so I didn't even know he had one until reading the thread!

Chapter 3 field study Day 2:

Man that place is HUGE i spend like 6 hours and i'm not even remotely done with this chapter yet

I knew this would be huge ...but that place is huge dammit

I need to avoid all those monsters and go on my way but still..
"All this Xp ..."

Is it me or are the horses not that much faster than going on foot ?

Top Bottom