• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

epmode

Its such a weird hybrid game of Trails/Persona.

I think it's really interesting to see a Trails game merged with Persona's setting. I was concerned about the setting and plot structure until I actually played the game and realized that it absolutely kept its own identity.

I think it's really interesting to see a Trails game merged with Persona's setting. I was concerned about the setting and plot structure until I actually played the game and realized that it absolutely kept its own identity.

It does

I just get Jarred because you always finish a chapter (and most chapters do this) doing a pure Trails segment that doesnt follow any of the rules and tropes presented at the school

Its pure adventure and while still following structure... its allowed to be molded by the plot

But then you always go back to the school and fall back into Persona mode

Its fucking weird. Like Im playing two separate games at once

Gu4n

Naw the bonding events were fine though largely inconsequential... which is kind of a downgrade honestly

Im talking more about the school tropes and structure and literal almost carbon copying of Persona

Its not a deal breaker and might even serve as an attraction to some players.
For me, the fundamental difference between Persona 3/4 and Cold Steel is how I've come to remember them. Persona 3/4 are all about school life to me, exploring dungeons, fsteak and hanging out with friends. Cold Steel, however, I remember as the start of an era of upheaval, political warfare and on-going mysteries.

epmode

BTW, is there an in-game map of Erebonia? The map you see while traveling between towns looks great but I haven't seen it anywhere outside of the train sequences.

Gu4n

BTW, is there an in-game map of Erebonia? The map you see while traveling between towns looks great but I haven't seen it anywhere outside of the train sequences.
Unfortunately, no. Falcom published this map on the website for Sen no Kiseki, though:

map0822.jpg

I also have a larger one with more details (from Sen no Kiseki II), but it's in Korean.

epmode

That's a bizarre oversight for a game that places so much emphasis on geography. Especially considering that you can see a low resolution version of the cutscene map in some of the train stations.

Gu4n

That's a bizarre oversight for a game that places so much emphasis on geography. Especially considering that you can see a low resolution version of the cutscene map in some of the train stations.
Cold Steel II addresses that complaint, where geography becomes much more important. It also, and this is something Trails in the Sky players might greatly appreciate,
opens up the roads between cities and towns

Cold Steel II addresses that complaint, where geography becomes much more important. It also, and this is something Trails in the Sky players might greatly appreciate,
opens up the roads between cities and towns

You're right. I greatly appreciate that.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. I just noticed that Sara's room is basically filled with booze. Bottles on the shelves and in crates. Love the details.

Chapter 3 field study Day 2:

Man that place is HUGE i spend like 6 hours and i'm not even remotely done with this chapter yet

I knew this would be huge ...but that place is huge dammit

I need to avoid all those monsters and go on my way but still..
"All this Xp ..."

Is it me or are the horses not that much faster than going on foot ?

This has by far been my least favorite chapter because of this. All that space just feels like bloat and a time waster to me. If I could fast travel to the anywhere besides right in town, I would like it so much more.

omgfloofy

Banned
Unfortunately, no. Falcom published this map on the website for Sen no Kiseki, though:

I actually bet that Falcom's waiting on publishing the full map. It's clear they have it, considering its use in-game for traveling scenes.

Cold Steel I-II Spoilers:
But I want to bet that it's not revealed because Falcom's waiting until other locations in western Erebonia are seen first.

Chapter 5 final boss, Laura w/ domination quartz, first turn, 200 SP special attack, after Rean's strength buff, draw a crit.

Yikes.

Bladenic

I think this is a mistake or my memory is wonky, but m chapter 5 the text says Radiant Blade Waltz but the status screen just shows Radiant Waltz.

Nyoro SF

If you're used to playing RPGs I think you might wanna play on Hard. Game's generally pretty easy on Normal for most people.

Agreed. I'm too far in for a restart, but I would recommend Hard for people looking for a challenge.

Right now even with no preparation the first official road monster battle was a complete cakewalk even with default gear. Elliot's defense craft is too good, Laura's damage output is obscene, CP is awarded far too generously, Links having no drawback means extra damage for free.

In fact, disregarding Elliot, the power creep in this game is absolutely nuts. I have more unused items than I ever thought possible and barely anyone has gotten close to being KO'd. There's essentially no restrictions on movement as I jog people full screen to use items. The upgrade paths and quartz available are mind-boggling; is there a reason why I'm being alloted so much ridiculous firepower? lol

On a more cheerful note, I mastered Blade in my first attempt against Laura and whooped her ass. King of Games here.

Chapter 1

Wasn't expecting this game to turn into a visual novel with everyone but the MC having a VA, hanging out with characters to boost their relationship status, and the school clubs. Its very different coming from Trails in the Sky, but I like it when games shake up the formula. Interesting to see how this all plays out.

Also, Sara is the best.

Dio

Banned
Chapter 1

Wasn't expecting this game to turn into a visual novel with everyone but the MC having a VA, hanging out with characters to boost their relationship status, and the school clubs. Its very different coming from Trails in the Sky, but I like it when games shake up the formula. Interesting to see how this all plays out.

Also, Sara is the best.

Rean has the most voiced lines in the entire game. It's only sometimes that he goes voiceless.

jschreier

Random question: Anyone know if there's a way to prevent the entire screen from going blurry other than the dialogue during conversations with quest-givers? It's really irritating.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah XSeed wanted to do more voice work but Falcom couldn't/wouldn't change the programming to make it happen
That seems... oddly stubborn.

I meant there was a text error. Also I just used it, and she still calls it Radiant Blade Dance I think, lame.
Sorry, my bad for misunderstanding what you meant.

Yeah, she still calls it that, but her line at the start of the special IS different! :v

And yes, I was hoping for a much bigger change, sadly it didn't transpire.

Bladenic

Sorry, my bad for misunderstanding what you meant.

Yeah, she still calls it that, but her line at the start of the special IS different! :v

And yes, I was hoping for a much bigger change, sadly it didn't transpire.

No worries!

Also it's a bummer to hear that Falcom wouldn't allow Xseed to do more voicework.

Ugh... fing Nightmare mode!

Chapter 6 spoilers
So I was at the end of Chapter 6 and doing the fight against C and the two robots after getting completely screwed over by getting everyone to close togeather on my first attempt the second I get C down to less then 5k hp except his next attack is a crit which scares the hell out of me since I have no more Sbreaks to steal it so I use Elliot to use a cp resorting food on Alisa so she can steal the crit and finish him off...

Fie has an attack first, she does and gets a rush which is great since I pressed the break right before then, herd the sound and everything... except it didn't go through or was overwritten by the rush and I didn't realize it until after C now decides to use his Sbreak and since I moved elliot closer to Alisa it hits them all and I die.

It was my own fault but god this fight takes forever.

Xeteh

Ugh... fing Nightmare mode!

Chapter 6 spoilers
So I was at the end of Chapter 6 and doing the fight against C and the two robots after getting completely screwed over by getting everyone to close togeather on my first attempt the second I get C down to less then 5k hp except his next attack is a crit which scares the hell out of me since I have no more Sbreaks to steal it so I use Elliot to use a cp resorting food on Alisa so she can steal the crit and finish him off...

Fie has an attack first, she does and gets a rush which is great since I pressed the break right before then, herd the sound and everything... except it didn't go through or was overwritten by the rush and I didn't realize it until after C now decides to use his Sbreak and since I moved elliot closer to Alisa it hits them all and I die.

It was my own fault but god this fight takes forever.

I just finished that fight after failing twice last night, re-prepared and went in. I don't know if you're doing it but making Fie an evasion tank and sticking her on the boss works wonders. Spreading everyone out completely helps a ton before the fight is huge too, but I'm sure you know that.

Famassu

Finally got the game but as luck would have it, first my Vita is so completely drained of power that I had to charge it for, like, 20-30 minutes before I could even turn it on (I actually thought it was broken) and then my parents suddenly visited me and that took forever and then there were a few long phone calls that felt like they would never end. Only got, like, 20 minutes into the game. Almost made it to the school building, lol.

Okay I'm at chapter 4 and after a certain long cutscene only one thing is on my mind...

...Do we ever find out why they skipped 'Class VI' and just went straight to Class VII ^^;?

Okay I'm at chapter 4 and after a certain long cutscene only one thing is on my mind...

...Do we ever find out why they skipped 'Class VI' and just went straight to Class VII ^^;?
I don't remember that ever being brought up. Might have but I skipped a lot of NPC dialog in the end to finish the game up.

Yeah it's killing me because after all that exposition and revelations about Class VII none of them asked the most fundamental question- Why skipped VI @_@ ?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just assumed class VI was
The arcus prototype test class Towa, Crow, Angelica, and George were a part of
Yeah, same.
Especially because they mention going on field studies, which normal classes supposedly don't do.

Famassu

I JUST finished the last uni project I gotta do in a while yesterday and new courses won't start until next week

Come on, Cold Steel

Arrive today or tomorrow, you fucker
I got it today! You have hope that you'll get it wherever you are in Finland, unless you live in jossain helvetin korvessa. :p
I'm in Oulu, so quite far up north

Mrgrgr

Why does the official sound track not include the full version of the opening theme? It has like 70 tracks but only the opening version :[

Thanks, though looking at this lead me to seeing the cover art for sen no kiseki 2 which even though I haven't finished cold steel 1 (start of chapter 5) I feel is rather spoilerly. I mean
you have crow in dark bad guy looking armor on the opposite side of Rean? Yeah Crow if not the main antagonist of the whole saga is for sure comrade c and a major antagonist

Also very happy for another I called it me moment lol

Dio

Banned
Thanks, though looking at this lead me to seeing the cover art for sen no kiseki 2 which even though I haven't finished cold steel 1 (start of chapter 5) I feel is rather spoilerly. I mean-

I'll keep things ambiguous so I removed the link so people don't come across something like that.

The same thing happened to me long before the release of Cold Steel, by the way, since Sen II came out in 2014.

EDIT: God damnit people I didn't mean for something like this to happen.

Thanks, though looking at this lead me to seeing the cover art for sen no kiseki 2 which even though I haven't finished cold steel 1 (start of chapter 5) I feel is rather spoilerly. I mean
you have crow in dark bad guy looking armor on the opposite side of Rean? Yeah Crow if not the main antagonist of the whole saga is for sure comrade c and a major antagonist

Also very happy for another I called it me moment lol

Ugh, why did I read this.

Top Bottom