• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Ch. 5: Millium still a bit annoying. Starting to sympathize with Jusis lol

But seriously,
she's blabbing much too easily Reformist/Intelligence Division secrets for that to not to be known to "Gramps" that it would happen. Hrmmm...unless her seeing this Noble Faction shit going down and reporting back is worth a little spilled whispers.

Class VII is taking Rean's Dark Hadou rather well, too. lol

Day 1 of the Chapter 4 field study is done.
I'm glad they finally resolved the Laura/Fie stuff, because it had dragged on for awhile. The way it wrapped up made sense, and Fie's backstory was really captivating. I'm guessing that we'll probably be seeing some more stuff from Fie's background effecting things later on, but this was a really moving story just on its own, and Fie has really become one of my very favorite characters.

It's also nice to see Elliot getting some more focus. While his personal drama is certainly not necessarily of the same magnitude as that of Fie or Alisa, there's some good emotional there, and he's such a nice guy.

Fie
I seriously had her pegged as one of Ouroborus' "project" children like Joshua and Renne, especially after Bleublanc showed up. Color me surprised.

Eliott
Sounds like he was given some tough love parenting from his dad? He's certainly benefited from it wonderfully whatever the initial circumstances, though.

CrazyDude

Ch. 5: Millium still a bit annoying. Starting to sympathize with Jusis lol

But seriously,
she's blabbing much too easily Reformist/Intelligence Division secrets for that to not to be known to "Gramps" that it would happen. Hrmmm...unless her seeing this Noble Faction shit going down and reporting back is worth a little spilled whispers.

Class VII is taking Rean's Dark Hadou rather well, too. lol

Fie
I seriously had her pegged as one of Ouroborus' "project" children like Joshua and Renne, especially after Bleublanc showed up. Color me surprised.

Eliott
Sounds like he was given some tough love parenting from his dad? He's certainly benefited from it wonderfully whatever the initial circumstances, though.
Third day ch 5 spoiler
Did you meet Eliot's dad yet?

epmode

Thanks for the help with the Chapter 3 practical exam earlier in the thread. It was much easier this time. I got lucky with a bunch of status effect procs and barely took any damage.

Psxphile

Work is Hell Week continues... no time to play. Still in chapter 3, free day after the mid-terms. Bleh.

Is there any reason at all for spending bonding points with Sara instead of an actual playable character?

Why would I do that instead of gaining the link experience?

Quoting for relevance since I want to know this too. If the Prologue is to be believed we know Sara will become a party member at some point, maybe, but what about characters like Towa and Crow? You can spend bond/study points on them but does it actually benefit you in any way past seeing an exclusive scene with them and maybe filling in a character note? It's hard to justify spending points on them over actual party members with Links to level.

aravuus

I JUST finished the last uni project I gotta do in a while yesterday and new courses won't start until next week

Come on, Cold Steel

Arrive today or tomorrow, you fucker

Gu4n

Work is Hell Week continues... no time to play. Still in chapter 3, free day after the mid-terms. Bleh.

Quoting for relevance since I want to know this too. If the Prologue is to be believed we know Sara will become a party member at some point, maybe, but what about characters like Towa and Crow? You can spend bond/study points on them but does it actually benefit you in any way past seeing an exclusive scene with them and maybe filling in a character note? It's hard to justify spending points on them over actual party members with Links to level.
There's no real benefit to it, apart from gathering points to trigger a bonding event in the final chapter. I found myself hanging around with Sara quite a lot because I wanted her to spill the beans about her history, but she is awfully tight-lipped -- even when she's tipsy.

Xeteh

So I'm on the chapter 6 boss that you can "farm" cast impedes on for the trophy and since Fie and Alisa do no damage with their normal attacks to him I'm farming Rushes too. THIS IS REALLY BORING.

I know both Crow and Towa have at least 1 character note that can only be acquired from a specific bonding event.

Vamphuntr

So I'm on the chapter 6 boss that you can "farm" cast impedes on for the trophy and since Fie and Alisa do no damage with their normal attacks to him I'm farming Rushes too. THIS IS REALLY BORING.

If you plan to get the platinum you have to do another playthrough on nightmare anyway where you will get to cancel arts again for the whole game.

Xeteh

If you plan to get the platinum you have to do another playthrough on nightmare anyway where you will get to cancel arts again for the whole game.

That is where I'm at. I had something like 53 impedes, 50 rushes and 25 bursts. The first 5 chapters were basically completed by Rean doing one Gale because he one shot everything with a Domination quartz.

There's no real benefit to it, apart from gathering points to trigger a bonding event in the final chapter. I found myself hanging around with Sara quite a lot because I wanted her to spill the beans about her history, but she is awfully tight-lipped -- even when she's tipsy.

Rean needs to be like
40 years old or something
. :p

Psxphile

Is that for real? I can accept that lol.
Was the situation same in previous TiTs titles?

Why wouldn't it be real? Makes perfect sense. You get your arts from Orbments w/ Quartz installed, you use up EP using arts, EP (i.e. Orbal energy) recharges over time (usually by resting) or via those Orbal recharge stations. Consistent with in-game lore.

So does the E in EP just stand for Energy?

On the plat trophy guide it mentioned a bonus scene was possible if you saw all of the sara bonding scenes before a certain point fwiw. Best to save for ng+ since you'll probably want the link exp the first go around.

adz2ka

Guys,

Is there any advantage of buying the Vita version if I only play it within my home a majority of the time anyway. What's to stop me doing remote play to cover all bases??

Guys,

Is there any advantage of buying the Vita version if I only play it within my home a majority of the time anyway. What's to stop me doing remote play to cover all bases??

PS3 doesn't do remote play with this title as far as I know.

EDIT: I only play at home as well but still prefer Vita because suspend resume is the GOAT feature for long RPGs.

Taruranto

Chapter 6 Field Trip

I'm glad Jusis and
Nepnep ended up on the same team again. Maybe he'll lose his patience and finally murder her? The Arseille 2.0. made for nice continuity with SC.

The game could definitely use an in-game database, by the way. The setting is not particularly complex, but sometimes it can be a bit hard to recall who is who and which foundation does what.

adz2ka

EDIT: I only play at home as well but still prefer Vita because suspend resume is the GOAT feature for long RPGs.

Ahh so can the PS3 restrict certain games from Remote Play? I always thought it was just a simple form of screen casting alá Chromecast. Oh well.

You're right though, suspend and resume is perfect. Maybe it's worth picking up a PSTV too.

Ahh so can the PS3 restrict certain games from Remote Play? I always thought it was just a simple form of screen casting alá Chromecast. Oh well.

You're right though, suspend and resume is perfect. Maybe it's worth picking up a PSTV too.

Yeah I think the list of PS3 remote play compatible titles is only 20-30 games long. It's a feature that only really works on PS4. I'm switching between PSTV and Vita (mainly Vita though) and very happy with it. The only bad thing is the unstable framerate, but I got used to it.

same reason I got it for vita. I only play at home and the ability to just hit the ps button and go to sleep then jump right back into the same spot immediately is grrrrrreaat.

adz2ka

Thanks for the response all.

Unfortunately I still have to wait till the end of the month until it's released over here in the UK. I'll get a psychical copy more than likely for rarity / resale value, like I did with Tales of Hearts R

aravuus

I JUST finished the last uni project I gotta do in a while yesterday and new courses won't start until next week

Come on, Cold Steel

Arrive today or tomorrow, you fucker

Huh, looks like shouting at the sky worked! Got my copy. Unfortunately won't have much time to play today, but maybe tomorrow.

Has anyone played it with a DS4? Works fine, I'd assume?

Huh, looks like shouting at the sky worked! Got my copy. Unfortunately won't have much time to play today, but maybe tomorrow.

Has anyone played it with a DS4? Works fine, I'd assume?

heh finally! Just saw another person recieve their VGP copy on twitter :)
Played with a DS4 on PSTV, can't say if it works on PS3 though

aravuus

heh finally! Just saw another person recieve their VGP copy on twitter :)
Played with a DS4 on PSTV, can't say if it works on PS3 though

Yeah, seems to recognize the controller, so I'm sure it works fine for the rest of the game too. Unless there are parts where you have to be precise with the triggers, which I highly doubt.

Anyway, main menu is giving me MASSIVE Persona 3/4 vibes. Really like the song too.

Fuck, I knew I shouldn't have made any plans for today lol

Yeah, seems to recognize the controller, so I'm sure it works fine for the rest of the game too. Unless there are parts where you have to be precise with the triggers, which I highly doubt.

Anyway, main menu is giving me MASSIVE Persona 3/4 vibes. Really like the song too.

Fuck, I knew I shouldn't have made any plans for today lol

You're not ready for how good the music is in this game

people

After watching some gameplay/battle footage and reading through most of the thread, I'm starting to think I'd like to play this game. Fortunately the planned European release is still a few weeks away so I have plenty of time to make up my mind (and plenty of games to play). I could easily pick up a US copy locally too, though.

My main concern is the bonding stuff. How important/mandatory is that? For example, social links (and 'romance') in Persona 3/4 are the main reasons I have no interest in playing those games myself. So, how 'Persona' is this game?

After watching some gameplay/battle footage and reading through most of the thread, I'm starting to think I'd like to play this game. Fortunately the planned European release is still a few weeks away so I have plenty of time to make up my mind (and plenty of games to play). I could easily pick up a US copy locally too, though.

My main concern is the bonding stuff. How important/mandatory is that? For example, social links (and 'romance') in Persona 3/4 are the main reasons I have no interest in playing those games myself. So, how 'Persona' is this game?

It's a much much smaller part of the game than in Persona.
In Persona, you pretty much play every single day of the year and can/should do social links for most of them. In CS you only play a few days of every month and have a few (optional) bonding events each which don't amount to much more than a simple conversation. You can pretty much just go talk to a charcter to collect the EXP for combat bonuses and skip/fast forward the conversation if you want to.

It is a school/anime setting though, and relationships and characters play a big part in the story, but the bonding/romance (if you can even call it that) isn't a big factor in the gameplay. The basic setting is comparable to Persona, but the gameplay loop/flow really isn't. The focus is more on completing missions and objectives as part of your education.

I'm still only in Ch2, so if this changes significantly later people should correct me here.

The bonding stuff is really minor. It helps flesh out other characters and only happens once or twice a chapter.

The only similarity with Persona is that it's an RPG with a school setting...Except you DO go around parts of the country and explore how different it is.

Every NPC is imbued with their own story. If you do buy it do talk to everyone twice! :D

They change their dialogue after every event, day/night and chapter too!

philberto

Neo Member

I'm only on Chapter 3, but it's definitely Persona-lite so far. The bond sequences are very short and just give a little context and colour to the characters. I definitely haven't felt like I've missed out on anything by making the choices that I have. The game also gives you other ways to build your bonds with characters, so I haven't found that the system has negatively impacted gameplay.

Gu4n

Gaining a higher "Social Link" gives you additional benefits during battles, such as a chance on Quick Heal or EP Restore without losing a turn during battles.

It is a school/anime setting though
I cannot overemphasise that it's a military academy. The love for concrete in the main school building, which put me off at first, is a deliberate design choice; actual houses in the towns you visit are cosy.

I cannot overemphasise that it's a military academy. The love for concrete in the main school building, which put me off at first, is a deliberate design choice; actual houses in the towns you visit are cosy.

Oh yeah I agree. While it has some of the typical anime school-tropes it definitely feels different enough to make it interesting.

Taruranto

It's definitely inspired by P3-4. The Old Schoolhouse is basically the Tartarus, the Calendar system screams PERSONA.
The Midterm Exams
were literally 1:1 from P3-4.

epmode

Yeah, screenshots may make it seem like a Persona clone but the social aspects are nowhere near as pronounced. It's very much a Trails game that just happens to take you back to the same location between chapters.

people

Thanks for the replies regarding the bonding aspect of the game, that eases my concern.
From what I've seen briefly (chapter 1, I think) I already had no immediate problems with the (military) academy/school setting.
I'm looking forward to picking this up in a few weeks, most likely.

Yeah, screenshots may make it seem like a Persona clone but the social aspects are nowhere near as pronounced. It's very much a Trails game that just happens to take you back to the same location between chapters.

Which I honestly liked a lot it made the npcs far more memorable to see them multiple times a chapter over the story

Gu4n

It's definitely inspired by P3-4. The Old Schoolhouse is basically the Tartarus, the Calendar system screams PERSONA.
The Midterm Exams
were literally 1:1 from P3-4.
I believe Falcom themselves indicated they were inspired by Persona.

And with a more interesting battle system and a properly structured pacing, Falcom improved on the formula while the package as a whole still fits seamlessly into a on-going narrative in an expansive yet highly detailed world.

epmode

And with a more interesting battle system and a properly structured pacing,

I'll give you the battle system but I really dig Persona's daily routine thing. It would be out of place in Trails of Cold Steel though.

(I love both games)

I'll give you the battle system but I really dig Persona's daily routine thing. It would be out of place in Trails of Cold Steel though.

(I love both games)

The time management aspect of Persona can be really draining for me, so I appreciate that I don't have to worry about it here.

And with a more interesting battle system and a properly structured pacing, Falcom improved on the formula while the package as a whole still fits seamlessly into a on-going narrative in an expansive yet highly detailed world.

Blah

I love persona but seeing a trails game rip aspects point for point is extremely annoying

The persona aspects are probably my least favorite parts of the game. Thankfully they dont take up the core focus of the adventure

Gu4n

(I love both games)
The on-going timeline of the series wouldn't allow such a routine in the first place; stuff already happened and have been told during Zero and Ao, and Cold Steel and its sequel take place during the same timeslot on the other side of the border.

And I personally found the day-to-day routine in Persona sluggish. I usually finished in a dungeon in one or two days, making sure I would make it in time, and then wait for the story to continue while I spent time on Social Links.

Blah

I love persona but seeing a trails game rip aspects point for point is extremely annoying

The persona aspects are probably my least favorite parts of the game. Thankfully they dont take up the core focus of the adventure
You're free to completely ignore the Bonding Events, of course. But I personally enjoyed hanging out with classmates because I wanted to learn about their backgrounds and the world they grew up in.

The on-going timeline of the series wouldn't allow such a routine in the first place; stuff already happened and have been told during Zero and Ao, and Cold Steel and its sequel take place during the same timeslot on the other side of the border.

And I personally found the day-to-day routine in Persona sluggish. I usually finished in a dungeon in one or two days, making sure I would make it in time, and then wait for the story to continue while I spent time on Social Links.

You're free to completely ignore the Bonding Events, of course. But I personally enjoyed hanging out with classmates because I wanted to learn about their backgrounds and the world they grew up in.

Naw the bonding events were fine though largely inconsequential... which is kind of a downgrade honestly

Im talking more about the school tropes and structure and literal almost carbon copying of Persona

Its not a deal breaker and might even serve as an attraction to some players.

Its such a weird hybrid game of Trails/Persona.

it's not nearly as involved or time consuming as persona. Although it's one of my fave things about persona here it amounts to nothing more than a few cutscenes that are pretty quick and you can even fast forward though I'm not sure why you would.

Top Bottom