• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Actually Asami makes sense.

After she goes through what she does with her father at the end of season 1 she has no family left and she could and probably does view Korra and Mako as her family and would hold tight regardless of Mako being a douche.

She would still have anger and react to it emotionally though. She got a double whammy of being betrayed by her only girl friend, as well as her boyfriend cheating on her. Because she had no family, or anyone. It would make sense for her to feel torn. To not want to lose contact, because they are all she has. But also feel so much anger and sadness.

The writers chose to push Asami to the back, and she pretty much didn't react at all to the events that happened. The second Mako was single, she was ready to get down. And showed she wanted to be in a relationship with him again. The plot never gets resolved, and just off screen between seasons, we are supposed to accept she lost those deep feelings for Mako.

Asami overall was poorly handled. Why is why the transition from Korra and her being best friends, and then later lovers also felt clunky.

Daemul

None of them are loners. They're just underwritten.

They're not even real loners, it's just that their lives outside of Team Avatar wasn't even defined.

Toph was a true loner.

Yeah, it was really weird. It was as if they hadn't been doing much until they met each other and them BAM!, best friends for life, even though the (normally) friendship ending shit that took place in the first two seasons between them makes it very hard to buy that.

It's strange, because you have someone like Asami, would seems like the type of person who would have multiple facebook accounts because she keeps hitting the friend limit, who suddenly comes over and starts hanging around with Team Avatar once she starts dating Mako, but you only ever see her hanging around with them, wasn't she close to other people before meeting Team Avatar?

I mean yeah, she's dating Mako, so it makes sense for her to be around him a lot, but the rest of the team? Asami has never stuck me as one of those girls who abandon all their friends once they get a boyfriend, especially since you would have expected her to have gone out with other guys before whilst maintaining her friendships, and once the relationships were done she would have just gone back and hung out mostly with her friends again. I mean, it was really weird.

Sorry if what I'm saying makes no sense, I'm just rambling here.

Lethe82

Banned
She would still have anger and react to it emotionally though. She got a double whammy of being betrayed by her only girl friend, as well as her boyfriend cheating on her. Because she had no family, or anyone. It would make sense for her to feel torn. To not want to lose contact, because they are all she has. But also feel so much anger and sadness.

The writers chose to push Asami to the back, and she pretty much didn't react at all to the events that happened. The second Mako was single, she was ready to get down. And showed she wanted to be in a relationship with him again. The plot never gets resolved, and just off screen between seasons, we are supposed to accept she lost those deep feelings for Mako.

Asami overall was poorly handled. Why is why the transition from Korra and her being best friends, and then later lovers also felt clunky.

This is true, we're missing a step in Asami's evolution. I still feel like she and Korra becoming FRIENDS after 'Mako gate' is something that makes sense (I mean let's be honest even in season 1 they were somewhat drawn to one another despite themselves), but we are missing that step that validated Asami in response to the crap that happened to her in book 1 (and then 2).

But I think it's pretty clear that she was like 'fuck that guy' after he took advantage of Korra having Amnesia and basically shit on her kiss as a result (from when she was in a place of extreme emotional vulnerability). Korra and Mako were done after book two as well, and presumably Korra and Asami tried to 'hit the reset button' on their relationship after all that drama, both bonding over what a piece of shit he was. Why? Because again, Asami was probably desperate to salvage something from all the bad hands she had been dealt, and she rightly felt like circumstance had been the root of all her problems with Korra prior. Her staying involved with helping them in Book 2 was off the momentum of being involved in Book 1, and she had ways that she could help with legitimately serious issues. After a point some people become a part of your life by circumstance if nothing else. She found Korra attractive, and unlike Mako, Korra seemed to be growing as a person (and was having to go through some incredibly trying things).

Lethe82

Banned
Things like a Public FB page would only increase how 'careful' she would have to be though.

I really don't see Asami fitting in all that well though, she's an extremely socially graceful recluse (or someone who didn't prioritize socialite activities) and I doubt most people with (inherited) 'status' interested her for very long, too committed to her hobbies which happened to feed into a multi billion dollar company. There were exceptional things about Korra/Mako that drew her too them but they were also free from all the burdens of the world Asami normally had to navigate to have 'friends'. She could be honest with them in a way she couldn't with some other rich kid who probably would have throught she was a try hard weirdo after they got over how beautiful she was.

Daemul

tumblr_ngkgt1rywl1sv39b4o1_r2_1280.gif

Lethe82

Banned
I think shortly after the 50% mark will when that gift will appear. I had a friend whom I recommended Evangelion to. He started by thanking me profusely before saying he hated me for it. In my defense I only ever saw the first half of the series (at the time) and kind of half way read a synopsis of the second half and thought 'eh, how bad could it really be?'.

Beth Cyra

People are going to hate me for this, but I didn't even think Mako was a big douche in season one. All that was just love triangle bullshit and teenage romance. It happens. Is it interesting? No, but Bryke don't really have a track record of writing believable romance as it is.

My problem with Mako was season two where he gets back with amnesia Korra after hooking up with Asami or whatever. That literally made no sense. But then again, Lin, Korra, Bolin, and even Asami all seem to have had brain aneurisms in that season. Lin is the world's dumbest police chief. Korra is mentally unstable and violent. Bolin sexually assaults Ginger. Asami is too dumb to see how she is getting played by Varrick.

All the characters are written so badly in season two that I just sort of dismiss it all. I try not to think about it.
Actually I'm with you.

In fact at he end of season 1 I was cool with Mako. I didn't like him but I thought he was okay if a jerk. The hate and absolute detest I have for him was when he lied to Kora and had the nerve to do this right infront of Korra. It was disgusting and unforgivable.

Daemul

Actually I'm with you.

In fact at he end of season 1 I was cool with Mako. I didn't like him but I thought he was okay if a jerk. The hate and absolute detest I have for him was when he lied to Kora and had the nerve to do this right infront of Asami. It was disgusting and unforgivable.

I can agree with this. Mako as a person didn't really get on my nerves until season 2, I didn't like him after the shit he and Korra pulled on Asami in season 1, but I was willing to give him a pass. I didn't build up a deep rooted hatred of him until after that bullshit amnesia incident, that was when he completely crossed the line for me.

So yeah, fuck Mako.

Beth Cyra

She probably would and I agree with that.

However we did see glimpses of it when she said there might not be a relationship after this.

And she later tells Korea that she really doesn't have another female friend so even after what Korra does and after losing her Mom and lastly if Asami did have lesbian/bisexual interest even if it was subconsciously pious i don't think it unreasonable she swallowd the pain or just focused it into her career and felt she couldn't lose Korra and Mako.

Is it really out of print? Seems like a huge oversight...
Yes. The DVD is 114 bucks, that's usually the out of print sign. I don't think Funimation bought the rights to the two movies from ADV I would assume so nobody's making new prints of it. It is a rather odd oversight.

He's in Young Justice? I must have completely forgot that part.
He's definitely in there, they didn't exactly call him by name, but if you saw the cartoon he used to have and looked at his powers and specific mode of transportation you know it's him.
I was familiar with the latter, but not the former.

But it's out of print? Where you supposed to watch it?
If you've ever used an anime stream site it's probably on that.

He's definitely in there, they didn't exactly call him by name, but if you saw the cartoon he used to have and looked at his powers and specific mode of transportation you know it's him.

He was called by name just not his hero name :p

and iirc near the end he heard the hero name and liked it or maybe that's my memory being faulty.

Young Justice :(

Daemul

Afrocious, when you're done trudging your way through that nonsense, come and join me in watching that Marco Polo series from Netflix, so that you can recover with the sight of some beautiful women. I'm one episode in and the girls are insane.

"You can look but you can't touch"

ibBIAi.gif

Lawd lead me from temptation

Hamlet

So when do you guys want me to start our ATLA live re watch? Jan? Feb? Also is anyone down to maybe Skype after episodes air. Just for fun.
If people can wait I suppose we could start it on Feb 21 which is the 10th anniversary since avatar started on Nick.
Though it is quite some time away.

Afrocious, when you're done trudging your way through that nonsense, come and join me in watching that Marco Polo series from netflix so that you can recover with the sight of some beautiful women. I'm one episode in and the girls are insane.

"You can look but you can't touch"

ibBIAi.gif

Lawd lead me from temptation

Nah it's all about Kublai Khan, dude steals every scenes he's in.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
i think everyone that watches eva should then watch gurren lagann, one shits on the mecha genre, while the other makes it the most awesome thing ever

360pages

i think everyone that watches eva should then watch gurren lagann, one shits on the mecha genre, while the other makes it the most awesome thing ever

Eva is very much a failed deconstruction. Mostly due to the fact that it stops being deconstruction around EP 17 and delves into the deep reaches of the human condition.

If you are going in there expecting a Deconstruction of Mecha, you're be very disappointed from EP 17 and on.

Even though Meduka was dark it knew it still was a magical girl series up until the very end. Eva forgets it's a mech series at EP 17.

Hamlet

And a little bit of FLCL to finish it off ha.

I quite enjoyed Marco Polo.

Yeah it's not that bad and I do hope Benedict Wong gets the credit he deserves for what he did in the Kublai Khan role.
Season 2 also needs more throat singing scenes. If it gets onw.

Man, it's a shame that they only managed to do a Sketch, would have loved to see this colored.

ty_lee_sketch_by_genzoman-d7d6b2j.jpg
DAT Ty Lee. The hottest avatar women have braided ponytails.
Eva is very much a failed deconstruction. Mostly due to the fact that it stops being deconstruction around EP 17 and delves into the deep reaches of the human condition.

If you are going in there expecting a Deconstruction of Mecha, you're be very disappointed from EP 17 and on.

Even though Meduka was dark it knew it still was a magical girl series up until the very end. Eva forgets it's a mech series at EP 17.
I swear by a certain point Eva was just about torturing the audience with mind rape and useless Shinji. Kid didn't want to do shit.

360pages

Oh god, writing hasn't been going well at all...

Ugh, I'm just happy I was able to get something out...but still my mind is drawing blanks.

In middle school I actually wrote a fan fiction for a creative writing assignment where a Stargate was found in the Crystal Catacombs and SG-1 had to help the Gaang fight off a Goa'uld invasion.

I like crossfiction fan fiction like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom