• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe82

Banned
Didn't he do cop like things in season 1? I kind of liked the change if only because it gave us another look at Republic City that wasn't 'Avatar business' as it were.

But it happened in season 2 so yeah....

I need Korrasami art in my veins.

sfw_by_kathrynlayno-d8caeaz.png

Trey

I got a completely different feel. The characters and the story wielded topics like war and war profiteering and terrorism and threats with such a cavalier attitude - like these themes are a ninety dollar coat you try on at JC Penny.

And the characters themselves are, almost to a man, dumb and/or acting out of character for half the season.

I just watched that season, and she was extremely upset about. It's 100% of the reason she has her fucking meltdown, leaves Republic City, gets attacked by an evil spirit and her cousins, ends up on the island, and has to reconnect with Raava. Besides, Iroh was on board with going after the Northern Water Tribe and Raiko, while his isolationism is more than understandable, was being stupid about it to some extent. Shit was happening on his own turf because of the Civil War, and he wasn't doing much to stop that. Lin wasn't helping either. Mako straight called Korra out on how stupid she was being. It's why they broke up.

As far as Asami and Bolin, neither of them were in any danger. Varrick just wants Mako off his back, but he was never going to do anything to that degree. When Mako wouldn't bail, he got him framed. Plus Asami figured it was going to help the Southern Water Tribe, which she was on board for. She had two reasons for entering that contract. Bolin was helping get Varrick to the point he wanted, by being the star of Varrick's war propaganda. When Raiko wouldn't listen, Varrick tried to have him kidnapped, although I'm not sure if he intended for Bolin to step in or not. That part, I was actually confused on. I knew the purpose (to get Raiko to jump in on that war action), but I wasn't really getting the actual play.
Season 2 Korra, where treason is an aphrodisiac. I honestly never understood the writing for Raiko, he always just seemed like a useless tool that cared more about image than actual results. I honestly think he would've been overthrown or rebelled against because he never really did anything. He picked up the ball a bit at the end of season 4, but he then went down the Mutually Assured Destruction arms race route with the spirit weapon demands.

Afrocious

I'm gonna write a book 5

it'll end each character's arc

imma end it with mako going to school

dont believe me just watch

it'll have a good story too with mystery and spirits and action and stuff

I'm gonna write a book 5

it'll end each character's arc

imma end it with mako going to school

dont believe me just watch

it'll have a good story too with mystery and spirits and action and stuff

leave it how it is brah.... don't want you going all post-Cell saga on us and have Mako turning into a fake ass superhero dressing in Will Smith's left over clothes from the Fresh Prince

I got a completely different feel. The characters and the story wielded topics like war and war profiteering and terrorism and threats with such a cavalier attitude - like these themes are a ninety dollar coat you try on at JC Penny.

And the characters themselves are, almost to a man, dumb and/or acting out of character for half the season.

Portrayal of themes like that in a show can never be accurately depicted I feel, so I won't argue that point. Especially the kind of show TLoK is. It never would've provided the proper vehicle in any way. The cultural center bombing was some seriously heavy shit. That was underplayed, I won't disagree, but Varrick did say that no one got hurt. It was never the intent. Still, the terrorism themes had already been done enough in Air, and I felt they did them alright.

Season 2 Korra, where treason is an aphrodisiac. I honestly never understood the writing for Raiko, he always just seemed like a useless tool that cared more about image than actual results. I honestly think he would've been overthrown or rebelled against because he never really did anything. He picked up the ball a bit at the end of season 4, but he then went down the Mutually Assured Destruction arms race route with the spirit weapon demands.

That's exactly what Raiko was about. It was a whole point of backing Wu, which is probably the one major plot thread that I was disappointed with. You have this whole political game going on, but with not much to show for it. I was really intrigued by that, and it never played out. Well, it did, just not with as much gravity as I would have liked. Can't really be upset, though, since I got my sick metalbending (god metalbending is so fucking cool).

Raiko in Spirits is an understandable person. He's in office, he's got a position of power and decides "I don't want to enter war." He cares too much for image, but at the same time I don't blame him for not wanting to get involved in the war. He did want to focus on fixing Republic City's problems (or so he claimed), but once the war spilled into his jurisdiction (something mentioned by one of the two moron detectives) he should have probably gotten involved. Especially since Iroh was ready and willing to do it as soon as Korra asked him.

Afrocious

leave it how it is brah.... don't want you going all post-Cell saga on us and have Mako turning into a fake ass superhero dressing in Will Smith's left over clothes from the Fresh Prince

lol i know what you mean, but i think i can make something pretty cool

mainly cause im bored

That's exactly what Raiko was about. It was a whole point of backing Wu, which is probably the one major plot thread that I was disappointed with. You have this whole political game going on, but with not much to show for it. I was really intrigued by that, and it never played out. Well, it did, just not with as much gravity as I would have liked. Can't really be upset, though, since I got my sick metalbending (god metalbending is so fucking cool).
Yeah the idiot just backs a half ass puppet regime like he's a half ass Reagan or something.

Trey

Raiko literally exists to tell Korra no, because Tenzin gets separated from the gang all season and can't fulfill that role.

The "adults/parents just don't understand" stuff was played out halfway through book 1.

How do we know Katara said anything? We never got her view on the matter. We only know their kids perspectives, and kids are always going to have some shit to say about their parents.

??

Huh thats what i said. We never got Katara's view on this supposed portrayal (was it true/was it false, if true why did she allow it, if false why did she let such info fester) nothing.

Also nothing from Aang even when there was a method to reach him (until the event)...

Funnily enough Toph had a similar situation and even then she said nothing on that particular matter

Raiko literally exists to tell Korra no, because Tenzin gets separated from the gang all season and can't fulfill that role.

The "adults/parents just don't understand" stuff was played out halfway through book 1.

It's funny that you mention that, because I never got that. It never seemed like that was a thing, to me.

360pages

Yeah, but then you look at the Naruto community, in which most people really disliked the series and only stuck through because they felt obligated (for some reason). Games can at least be fun to play, and I am totally with you on KH (I mean, we both post in that OT).

Criticism is easy to mistake for hate when there's a shit ton of it. Sometimes it goes overboard, but I've said my piece before. About how the series doesn't really have that much wrong with it as people make it seem. It passes the class, but falls short on the extra credit, is what I think most of it boils down to. That's just what I see, though.

Despite a lot of shit fans throw at Naruto, I do think some people enjoy some of the moments and areas in it. (Even if they are hard to find in part 2)

??

Huh thats what i said. We never got Katara's view on this supposed portrayal (was it true/was it false, if true why did she allow it, if false why did she let such info fester) nothing.

Also nothing from Aang even when there was a method to reach him (until the event)...

Funnily enough Toph had a similar situation and even then nothing she said nothing on that particular matter

I can't read.

Ah, Kai. Brought in for so many reasons. For Mako and Bolin to see them in him because of their gang life, give Jinora a romantic subplot, and to give us a straight man insight into the rebuilding airbender culture.

And then ya get dropped, ya punk.

funtimes.gif

Ah, Kai. Brought in for so many reasons. For Mako and Bolin to see them in him because of their gang life, give Jinora a romantic subplot, and to give us a straight man insight into the rebuilding airbender culture.

funtimes.gif
Sucks cause I actually like Kai. He got muted for Brykes sins.

He got dropped because he had no purpose anymore. I prefer that to just being there for no reason, if I had to choose.
But there for no reason was the bulk of the cast. Could've used Kai to give Meelo a big bro character to help him grow up. Meelo actually could learn a lot from Kai's character.

Daemul

funtimes.gif

Poor guy went mute. RIP Kai, we'll always remember your charming ways.

funtimes.gif

I've never seen a new character get thrown in the bushes so quick... shame.

d'ah welp

But there for no reason was the bulk of the cast. Could've used Kai to give Meelo a big bro character to help him grow up. Meelo actually could learn a lot from Kai's character.
Despite being irritating, Meelo had his shit together. Kai had a lot of potential, but we're going in circles again with this.

More importantly, didn't the Earth King ditch the Dai Lee? Or, they were sort of gotten rid of? I suppose we never got confirmation in the show. Azula brought some back with her, but I guess that's about all we got on it.

Earth Queen brought them back, I guess.

Also, Zuko and gang get bodied.

Despite being irritating, Meelo had his shit together. Kai had a lot of potential, but we're going in circles again with this.

More importantly, didn't the Earth King ditch the Dai Lee? Or, they were sort of gotten rid of? I suppose we never got confirmation in the show. Azula brought some back with her, but I guess that's about all we got on it.

Earth Queen brought them back, I guess.

Also, Zuko and gang get bodied.
Kuvira either killed or reeducated them I would assume.

She gets fancy for her finishing moves. But she's very precise. It beat flashy Suyin so it's effective.

Su Yin is so cool, though.

Also, I so badly want to see the original Red Lotus fight with Tenzin, Zaheer, Sokka, and Zuko.

Fucking Chief Sokka. Rocked shit in his day, I bet.

Su Yin is so cool, though.

Also, I so badly want to see the original Red Lotus fight with Tenzin, Zaheer, Sokka, and Zuko.

Fucking Chief Sokka. Rocked shit in his day, I bet.
Him and his trusty boomerang. My problem with Suyin is that she really didn't know how to discuss anything or see a logic beyond her own.

Su Yin had her shit together though. Then Kuvira kinda fucked it all up. It got personal at the end.
They both allowed it to get personal. Suyin never really offered her any guidance. What the fuck did kuvira know? Nothing. Su could've offered her council or something. I highly doubt she would have turned into a despot if Su helped and that rift in her family wouldn't have happened.

They both allowed it to get personal. Suyin never really offered her any guidance. What the fuck did kuvira know? Nothing. Su could've offered her council or something. I highly doubt she would have turned into a despot if Su helped and that rift in her family wouldn't have happened.

We've had this argument before, I think. But I'll reiterate my points anyways: Why would Su help her? Su wanted nothing to do with it in this first place, and she was in the right to do so. Chaos was prevalent and she was more concerned with her own city. Why give council to someone who is participating in something she heavily disapproved of? You can't blame Su for Kuvira snapping. That's basically taking Kuvira and saying "you're not as responsible for what you did because Su told you to fuck off."

Sure, Su could have handled it better, but she also had no reason to do anything about it either.

Daemul

Guys, the ATLA subreddit has opened my eyes to a new ship. I have no idea how I missed this shit.

hCoVSgD.png

gX75fVf.png

xgVuZuv.png

EvQ9nPj.png

TQaC3Pl.png

mYyhYe8.png

I6JxtmD.png

26idtZQ.png

post-29155-Blink-182-WHAT-THE-FUCK-gif-Im-YEwO.gif

I guess Bryke were right, we had to rewatch season 3 to see it.

If we ever get extra Avaterverse stuff, I don't want a full movie or anything. I want just a bunch of fights animated like Zaheer's group vs Sokka, Tenzin, Zuko, and Tonraq.

Some other sick fights that might have been implied that we never saw.

It's all I want in this life.

Maybe something like the FMA:B OVA collection. That had cool extra shit on it.

We've had this argument before, I think. But I'll reiterate my points anyways: Why would Su help her? Su wanted nothing to do with it in this first place, and she was in the right to do so. Chaos was prevalent and she was more concerned with her own city. Why give council to someone who is participating in something she heavily disapproved of? You can't blame Su for Kuvira snapping. That's basically taking Kuvira and saying "you're not as responsible for what you did because Su told you to fuck off."

Sure, Su could have handled it better, but she also had no reason to do anything about it either.
If nobody brought order to the earth kingdom then who is to say it wouldn't have eventually found its way onto Zaofu's doorstep. Nothing exactly happens in a vacuum. If Su offered to help with at least some type of actual guidance I think a lot of Kuvira's fucked up nonsense would not have happened. This guidance could just be advice Su doesn't have to do much of anything outside of tell Kuvira that building reeducation camps and enslaving non earth benders is a fucked idea and would be frowned upon. And yes this is the second time we've had this discussion. I honestly just think that sticking your head in the sand isn't always a beneficial tactic.

If nobody brought order to the earth kingdom then who is to say it wouldn't have eventually found its way onto Zaofu's doorstep. Nothing exactly happens in a vacuum. If Su offered to help with at least some type of actual guidance I think a lot of Kuvira's fucked up nonsense would not have happened. This guidance could just be advice Su doesn't have to do much of anything outside of tell Kuvira that building reeducation camps and enslaving non earth benders is a fucked idea and would be frowned upon. And yes this is the second time we've had this discussion. I honestly just think that sticking your head in the sand isn't always a beneficial tactic.

If it found it's way to Zaofu's doorstep, then Su would be able to handle it because that's where her focus is. Plus, I don't think those ideas just POPPED into Kuvira's head. She had an idea of what she would do before she went in. She was very prepared (look at when Su tried to assassinate her) in general.

Sticking your head in the sand isn't the same thing as what Su was doing. She wasn't trying to ignore the problem, she just didn't approve of the solution and wasn't going to carry it out. She didn't want to be seen as a conqueror and she didn't think the monarchy was the best option. She didn't want to have anything to do with it. She probably would have been fine with providing asylum to people though. That was definitely her thing.

Also, the idea of a combustion ninja is so fucking cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom