• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah yeah, and DreamyDrop claimed to get an artist to draw a pregnant Kuvira.

You all are weak.

What?! Hahaha!

Just you wait, I'm gonna find an artist and get them to draw some Suvira goodness. I shall have the last laugh!

Hamlet

Indeed we will! I already have a person in mind too. :)

Just don't post anything too lewd in here.

tumblr_n0x043P27k1sixev5o8_500.gif

Well, burned through Book 3 in a day. Still really good, although the Red Lotus seemed...underwhelming for some reason. Maybe it's from coming off of the massive scale of Spirits, but something seemed...I dunno. Still, definitely as good as I remember.

Oh well, time to take a break from TLoK. I need to shake off my Bayonetta 2 rust. A friend of mine wants to tackle those Tag Climaxes and I haven't played in a good while. Hopefully it'll be like riding a bike and not...well, something that would be hard to re-learn.

Afrocious

You know what? I'm pretty much done dealing with the 'pandering' argument. Like I'm starting to see red every time that's used.

I think I'm done. After that discussion in that thread in the off-topic section, I feel tired and I'm so fucking annoyed at being seen and dismissed as if I'm crazy or something.

I feel like I'm arguing at a brick wall and I hate the fact I am invested as much as I am. I really hate this and it fucking sucks.

You know what? I'm pretty much done dealing with the 'pandering' argument. Like I'm starting to see red every time that's used.

I think I'm done. After that discussion in that thread in the off-topic section, I feel tired and I'm so fucking annoyed at being seen and dismissed as if I'm crazy or something.

I feel like I'm arguing at a brick wall and I hate the fact I am invested as much as I am. I really hate this and it fucking sucks.

And that's why I stayed away from that thread. It started poorly, it definitely wasn't going end much better. I'm very surprised it hasn't spilled over here.

Afrocious

Yeah, I'll hush up and post some fanfics/fanart. I'm normally laid back since I know I can get into post wars over things.

tumblr_nhi9fgTaMe1te15xio1_1280.png

That left hand is kind of fucked up but good pic.

It's not like arguments are bad or anything. They happen. They need to happen, but some of the shit in there was just dumb, and were just general, vague criticisms that mean nothing. Then, there's the essay posts saying how the show was complete shit, but it's fine to like. The most backhanded comment I can think of.

Very irritating. Here's a gif or 2. Or how ever many I feel like. All from Book 3.

legend-of-korra-best-bends-gif-6.gif

tumblr_naqq57PVXT1tbhhtvo1_500.gif

tumblr_ngfgh3ioiO1tdbyk7o3_500.gif

9d486f71f71341d6c1904b8bebb82dc2.gif

tumblr_n8bzsprIKQ1qe9j8vo1_400.gif

Good gifs. Loved the shining avatar eyes during the fight with red lotus/zaheer, how they trace their movement. Almost forgot P'li could firebend haha, couldn't remember her doing it but the one time against Zuko's dragon.

"No. I wanna go alone."

Bitch, take Naga!

You know, I'm thinking now...I don't think that spirit actually saw the whole "Dark Korra" thing. I think it was just trying to convince Korra to follow it.

Hamlet

"No. I wanna go alone."

Bitch, take Naga!

You know, I'm thinking now...I don't think that spirit actually saw the whole "Dark Korra" thing. I think it was just trying to convince Korra to follow it.

Didn't it turn around and start Barking or growling at the dark Korra though?

Didn't it turn around and start Barking or growling at the dark Korra though?

But it also never actually mentions it after it reveals its true form to Korra. Just says "But then would you have followed me?" Korra gave a visual cue that she was scared, and then afterwards gave some relief and asked if it could see it too. I'm going to guess that the spirit was just going with what ever vibes Korra was giving off and then rolled with it in order to get her to follow it.

That's just my personal guess though, and I think the hallucination itself is Raava trying to communicate with her. So maybe the spirit could sense it? Just spitballing here.

Ain't that some shit?

Read this on wikipedia

According to writer/producer Paul Dini, the reasoning behind the cancellation is that the show was more popular amongst all adolescents, both boys and girls, instead of just the targeted demographic of teenage boys, which network executives demanded for better sales of toys and other merchandise.[75]

tJaBJjl.jpg

Afrocious

Read this on wikipedia

tJaBJjl.jpg

I knew it was about toys, but I didn't know there was stuff to do about the genders being appealed.

Yo seriously. Fuck TV. Shows like YJ and Avatar (more LoK than ATLA) with their tone, content, and topics had no reason to be on at the times they were aired on their respective channels. Hell, Avatar sticks out like a sore thumb on Nick. Always did, considering one of the main characters carried a scar on his face from when his dad scorched him maliciously.

I knew it was about toys, but I didn't know there was stuff to do about the genders being appealed.

Yo seriously. Fuck TV. Shows like YJ and Avatar (more LoK than ATLA) with their tone, content, and topics had no reason to be on at the times they were aired on their respective channels. Hell, Avatar sticks out like a sore thumb on Nick. Always did, considering one of the main characters carried a scar on his face from when his dad scorched him maliciously.

Let the hate flow through you like water.

Elderly_Katara.png

I'm on the last two episodes of YJ. Feels so bittersweet.

Sigh sad isn't it.

giphy.gif

You know, Kuvira's not seeming as bad as I recall, writing wise. My main issue is she didn't feel big enough, and that she didn't feel like she had an arc. Now that I'm marathoning Balance, there's definitely something there. Still not as prominent as I like, but I'm definitely seeing something. More than I did before.

I'm also noticing more things that I didn't. Like, for example, why would Kuvira really need to go back to Republic City? She could easily record her speech and send a mover to Raiko and the others. Or broadcast it. She went there specifically for the spirit vines. I had always thought it was curious that they would just pick up a shitload of vines. Never crossed my mind that she went specifically for those vines. Plus, we know that Varrick is working on something up until that point, but we never see it. I'm guessing she had him building a weapon for awhile beforehand. He did develop those mech suits.

Also, "There are too many Varricks" is the best line of dialogue.

Lethe82

Banned
You know, Kuvira's not seeming as bad as I recall, writing wise. My main issue is she didn't feel big enough, and that she didn't feel like she had an arc. Now that I'm marathoning Balance, there's definitely something there. Still not as prominent as I like, but I'm definitely seeing something. More than I did before.

I'm also noticing more things that I didn't. Like, for example, why would Kuvira really need to go back to Republic City? She could easily record her speech and send a mover to Raiko and the others. Or broadcast it. She went there specifically for the spirit vines. I had always thought it was curious that they would just pick up a shitload of vines. Never crossed my mind that she went specifically for those vines. Plus, we know that Varrick is working on something up until that point, but we never see it. I'm guessing she had him building a weapon for awhile beforehand. He did develop those mech suits.

Also, "There are too many Varricks" is the best line of dialogue.

A lot of her not feeling big enough, at least to me, came down to her following Vatuu and Zaheer. If anything the 'final boss' order of the series should have gone like this:

Book 1 -> Book 3 -> Book 4 -> Book 2

Book 1 -> Book 3: Zaheer is actually a logical extension of the equality plotline in book 1, just coming at it from a different place and represents a more 'Avatar' focused narrative

Book 3 -> Book 4: Kuvira represents the pull back to the concerns of the changing world, and again deals with themes of equality

Book 4 -> Book 2: The final escalation, having brought peace to the Earth kingdom in a way that satisfied Amons drive for equality and Kuvira drive for security we know learn about the origins of the avatar and Korra must face the fundamental conflict between Rava and Vatuu that has existed since time itself. Korra is able to grow into 'The Avatar' through understanding herself and has the confidence to reunite the worlds, fulfilling her dual role to both truly as the bridge ensuring peace and propserity. We get to see the new worlds adapting to one another in harmony that Korra is able to provide and she basically goes down in history as the greatest Avatar ever.

I have not read the TLA comics, but I heard something about one of the stories dealing with a local Firebender Warlork causing an uprising against Zuko after Anng defeats the Fire Lord etc in the main series.

THAT'S what Kuvira feels like after Korra fought, back to back, the embodiment of evil Yang to the very essence of the Avatars Yin - determined to rule over the entire world for 10 thousand years, and a man who attained higher Air bending arts than anyone on the show ever, effortlessly, and was determined not only to kill Korra, but end the Avatar Cycle once and for all.

Then it's 'oh' a relatively small scale dictator is attempting to control the Earth Kingdom.

This wouldn't have been as much of a problem if Kuvira had been fleshed out more and used as a mirror and counter point to contrast Korra's development and choices to represent the totality of the experiences that shaped her into the woman she is today, but the just wasn't enough of that to make Kuvira a compelling villain on her own merits or used as a foil for Korra herself.

Village

Read this on wikipedia

tJaBJjl.jpg

Its the same reason they got rid of symbotic titan

its the same reason they got rid of megas XLR

Its why they got rid of generator rex

Its the same reason reason they got rid of samurai jack and that was even before the bullshit guard changing that effected the first 3 i listed

Its the same reason reason they got rid of samurai jack and that was even before the bullshit guard changing that effected the first 3 i listed

I wish WB would make the last season into a film release isntead of making shitty new52 movies like JL War

Lethe82

Banned

I wonder why they are so hellbent on trying to make media conform to their perceptions instead of, y'know, just letting boys and girls watch what appeals to them.

A lot of her not feeling big enough, at least to me, came down to her following Vatuu and Zaheer. If anything the 'final boss' order of the series should have gone like this:

Book 1 -> Book 3 -> Book 4 -> Book 2

Book 1 -> Book 3: Zaheer is actually a logical extension of the equality plotline in book 1, just coming at it from a different place and represents a more 'Avatar' focused narrative

Book 3 -> Book 4: Kuvira represents the pull back to the concerns of the changing world, and again deals with themes of equality

Book 4 -> Book 2: The final escalation, having brought peace to the Earth kingdom in a way that satisfied Amons drive for equality and Kuvira drive for security we know learn about the origins of the avatar and Korra must face the fundamental conflict between Rava and Vatuu that has existed since time itself. Korra is able to grow into 'The Avatar' through understanding herself and has the confidence to reunite the worlds, fulfilling her dual role to both truly as the bridge ensuring peace and propserity. We get to see the new worlds adapting to one another in harmony that Korra is able to provide and she basically goes down in history as the greatest Avatar ever.

I have not read the TLA comics, but I heard something about one of the stories dealing with a local Firebender Warlork causing an uprising against Zuko after Anng defeats the Fire Lord etc in the main series.

THAT'S what Kuvira feels like after Korra fought, back to back, the embodiment of evil Yang to the very essence of the Avatars Yin - determined to rule over the entire world for 10 thousand years, and a man who attained higher Air bending arts than anyone on the show ever, effortlessly, and was determined not only to kill Korra, but end the Avatar Cycle once and for all.

Then it's 'oh' a relatively small scale dictator is attempting to control the Earth Kingdom.

This wouldn't have been as much of a problem if Kuvira had been fleshed out more and used as a mirror and counter point to contrast Korra's development and choices to represent the totality of the experiences that shaped her into the woman she is today, but the just wasn't enough of that to make Kuvira a compelling villain on her own merits or used as a foil for Korra herself.

Yeah I understand the order should have been different, but we all know that's a result of behind the scenes stuff, so I'm not going to get in to that. I don't disagree, though. Not entirely. I don't really want to tread to deep into the whole "Kuvira was underdeveloped" stuff again. Not that anything is wrong with that opinion, it's just old ground retreaded. Probably shouldn't have brought it back up again, but whatever. There's a reason I haven't brought up Korra and Asami from a relationship perspective this entire re-watch either.

None of this is meant to be a shot at you or anything. I don't disagree, it'd just be nice if we walked on (somewhat) fresh ground for a bit. Like how I'm understanding Bataar Jr. as a character now, and I'm seeing that Kuvira had some planning going on. Holy shit, did she have some plans. Both Republic City and Zaofu were multiple objective stops.

Republic City was about presence. By standing up in front of the people, she was making a much stronger statement. Not only that, she recruited more people, and most likely planted soldiers whilst there that were intended to take down Wu. On top of that, she was there for the vines, clearly an item made important because of Varrick, who claimed he was holding that idea since UnaVaatu broke his ass out of prison.

Zaofu was threefold. One, it accomplishes her goal of 100% uniting the Earth Kingdom (something she makes a point of saying at the beginning of Balance); Two, it nets her the domes (which she dismantles, most likely for the Colossus); Three, it gets her Su's meteorite collection, which I guarantee is what she was using for the controls, not mercury. I'm even banking on the fact that only reason she recruits Bolin in the first place is for taking Zaofu. It's why she promotes him, but he was still fairly high ranking by the start of the season, and I guarantee it was his objective to begin with.

Hell, even forcing the state in After All These Years to submit had an extra objective besides uniting; they have ore, which is not only useful for building the Colossus and other tech, but I guarantee they have plenty of platinum in that ore as well. That woman had shit in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom