• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh Vandal was doing most of the heavy lifting tbh.

Still it was fun seeing Luthor being Luthor
Luthor is hilarious. He had me dying when Red Arrow tried to arrest him in the first season and he just had his Mercy robot blast him. "If you want to arrest me I suggest you speak to my attorney." Lex put in way more work than Ghul, but Vandal dealt with the bigger plots I think.
He was busy getting jobbed by: Korra, Naga, the airbender kids, and Amon. I think either Bolin or Mako get one on him, too. Oh, and Tarrlok. Tarrlok definitely takes him out for a bit.
Naga straight bitch smacked him in that one ep.

Luthor is hilarious. He had me dying when Red Arrow tried to arrest him in the first season and he just had his Mercy robot blast him. "If you want to arrest me I suggest you speak to my attorney." Lex put in way more work than Ghul, but Vandal dealt with the bigger plots I think.

his nonchalance when Arsenal (aka real Roy) tried to assassinate him in Season 2 was also as hilarious especially when you add the use of his own versions of a batman gambit and prep time to diffuse the entire situation (dude had an weaponized arm made to tempt him just in case lol)

Yea he definitely did more than Ghul, no doubt about that but i think Vandal's stuff was most of the heavy lifting and it really overshadowed everyone else (it was usually cosmic/space/time stuff).

I've been putting off catching up on season 4 as the Nick player is so shitty. It just won't stream well. I finally decided to try with a Chromebook, hoping its connection with a Chromecast might be better. Unfortunately, Nickelodeon has put episodes behind a select-provider wall, and Comcast isn't on it. Goddamn, do I hate this network.

his nonchalance when Arsenal (aka real Roy) tried to assassinate him in Season 2 was also as hilarious especially when you add the use of his own versions of a batman gambit and prep time to diffuse the entire situation (dude had an weaponized arm made to tempt him just in case lol)

Yea he definitely did more than Ghul, no doubt about that but i think Vandal's stuff was most of the heavy lifting and it really overshadowed everyone else (it was usually cosmic/space/time stuff).
You can only imagine how many months he had that thing made in advance too. I can only imagine what other just in case shit he had in that locker room. Lex was the boot on the ground planner, Vandal was definitely the cosmic planner guy. When you're about
40,000 years old
you just stop carrying about "everyday working man" problems.
I've been putting off catching up on season 4 as the Nick player is so shitty. It just won't stream well. I finally decided to try with a Chromebook, hoping its connection with a Chromecast might be better. Unfortunately, Nickelodeon has put episodes behind a select-provider wall, and Comcast isn't on it. Goddamn, do I hate this network.
There are several anime streaming sites that have the whole series up that work a fuck ton better than Nick's site.

Omikaru

I'm pretty sure Tenzin knocks him out too.

yep. In Endgame. Dude gets jobbed by everyone.

But he just gets back up, dusts himself down, and gets ready for more punishment.

I wonder what happened to him after Book 1. Prison? In hiding? Not that I care in particular, but whatever.

Toa TAK

Banned
So Aang takes control of a giant Moon spirit to fight and destroy the Fire Nation at the Northern Water tribe.

Why did people not like it when Korra became a giant spirit?

They were basically both giant spirits and shit.

Omikaru

I thought it was implied that Amon killed him. You know, it was really unclear.

Eh, I doubt knocking him into a pile of wooden planks like that would kill a guy who got swatted by Naga and blown off of a stadium by Korra.

I think Amon planned to finish him off afterwards, though, had his plans not been foiled.

Trey

So Aang takes control of a giant Moon spirit to fight and destroy the Fire Nation at the Northern Water tribe.

I knew as soon as TAK said he was rewatching AtLA that this question would be asked.

Toa TAK

Banned
I knew as soon as TAK said he was rewatching AtLA that this question would be asked.

I can't stop watching this show, it's sooo good. I also don't remember, like, 85% of it. Just that Azula is the scariest villain ever and... yeah, that's it.

My man Zuko just got duped by his sister. And mah man Sokka had to let his girl turn into the moon. :(

I like the Gaang much better.

EDIT: But seriously, they were both giant spirits.

Eh, I doubt knocking him into a pile of wooden planks like that would kill a guy who got swatted by Naga and blown off of a stadium by Korra.

I think Amon planned to finish him off afterwards, though, had his plans not been foiled.
Well he was bloodbending him pretty hard before he tossed him.

Trey

My man Zuko just got duped by his sister.

So you saw the part where she threatened the ship captain? I had forgotten about it until my recent rewatch. So good.

As far as character introductions in AtLA go, Azula's is top of the line.

I do believe I found it weird as fuck then too and I saw that after I saw season 2 of Korra. It just showed that most of Book 2's ass pulls were already in the lore and have been done before.

Toa TAK

Banned
So you saw the part where she threatened the ship captain? I had forgotten about it until my recent rewatch. So good.

She's great, and I'm slowly beginning to remember why I held her in such high regard when I was younger.
I do believe I found it weird as fuck then too and I saw that after I saw season 2 of Korra. It just showed that most of Book 2's ass pulls were already in the lore and have been done before.

Yeah, I just thought it was really funny that people give the giant Korra so much shit when Aang took control of a giant blue glowing catfish that walked.

Gonna watch some more before the rest of my Tuesday and Wednesday get shot up.

360pages

Until you realize how goofy and stupid it is that she would say something like that. Especially if someone had a basic understanding on how ships and currents worked.

Toa TAK

Banned
Until you realize how goofy and stupid it is that she would say something like that. Especially if someone had a basic understanding on how ships and currents worked.

She's just trying to say that she's da boss and she'll get what she wants.

Zuko's famliy is kinda like that.

Trey

He got it done though, did he not? Her inspiration and intimidation transcends reasonable maritime procedure.

This is her power.

360pages

It's a great scene. Though they probably should have done it slightly differently if they wanted to present Azula as a genius.

Toa TAK

Banned
Kzqo23.gif

I can't wait to hit Season's 2 & 3 of ATLA during the rewatch. The first half of season 1 took awhile for the show to find it's footing to me...plus the crap animation, but seasons 2 & 3 were fun with the introduction of Toph, Mai, Ty Lee and Azula. Plus seeing Zuko's moral crisis constantly building was great.

Tizoc

47742865_p0.png

I need to catch up to S4, only read about the finale which was...wow.
I take it Asami and Korra's relationship is built during S4?

Daemul

I blame ATLA for many of the asspulls in LoK. Energybending is the worst thing that ever happened to the series.

Omikaru

47742865_p0.png

As well as it could be, considering how this show has handled relationships in the past, and considering it's a same-sex relationship on a kid's network to boot.

In otherwords, prepare to stretch reeeeal hard. But I think they made the best of it. I'm sure they would've been more obvious in the build-up had Nick let them.

Yeah, I just thought it was really funny that people give the giant Korra so much shit when Aang took control of a giant blue glowing catfish that walked.

actually its heavily implied he wasn't in control and it was the spirit (hell pacifist Aang is basically drowning people and took out Zhao; who moments before killed the spirit's soulmate) which why i think it gets a pass from people.

47742865_p0.png

Considering the fact that a bunch of people had to cherry pick and interpret a bunch of things from their interactions over the years to justify the whole thing the answer is no. Retroactively there's stuff from Book's 3 and 4 that are ok, but other than that no, not really.
actually he wasn't in control and it was the spirit (hell pacifist Aang is basically drowning people and took out Zhao who moments before killed the spirit's soulmate) which why i think its gets a pass.
Yeah Aang was simply the vessel for that fishes rage so it's not exactly a like for like comparison. Lol and spirit fish is drowning people...only ATLA.

Trey

Never forget that Aang and friends murdered a mountainside full of fire nation.

That was back when Aang got shit done.

Kinvara

Aang's dilemma about killing Ozai always felt a little weak because we see Aang put the hurt on a lot of people during the series that should have killed or at least seriously injured them.

I guess people in the Avatarverse are supposedly a lot more resilient but still...

Wait didn't they show scenes of them escaping the tanks whenever they were disabled.

In the final eps they showed them in the ocean (even though we have no idea how they would get out) lol
Until I watch that ep and see everybody get out of every tank I'm going to assume the Gaang collected a couple of bodies.
Aang's dilemma about killing Ozai always felt a little weak because we see Aang put the hurt on a lot of people during the series that should have killed or at least seriously injured them.

I guess people in the Avatarverse are supposedly a lot more resilient but still...
Korra should've had her legs smashed to pieces after Book 3.

Every single plot device or unexplained moment is always energybending. In fact, for whatever reason, water seems to be a catalyst for energybending. Water Spirit Aang, spiritbending, healing, Spirit Oasis's...it's all either because of chi or energybending.

Every single plot device or unexplained moment is always energybending. In fact, for whatever reason, water seems to be a catalyst for energybending. Water Spirit Aang, spiritbending, healing, Spirit Oasis's...it's all either because of chi or energybending.
The Nanomachines of the Avatar world.

Considering the fact that a bunch of people had to cherry pick and interpret a bunch of things from their interactions over the years to justify the whole thing the answer is no. Retroactively there's stuff from Book's 3 and 4 that are ok, but other than that no, not really.

Yeah Aang was simply the vessel for that fishes rage so it's not exactly a like for like comparison. Lol and spirit fish is drowning people...only ATLA.

Nah brah you're clearly remembering through a hetero lens

Daemul

Fuck energybending, it's been the cause of so many of my headaches when watching the show. It's my number 1 issue with the Avatar series.

I'll make sure to put my queer eye on when I watch this shit again.

Lol I really do need to finish that game.
It's one of my favorite games of all time. I adore the soundtrack as well. This song...Also, since I know you like Kill la Kill, you may be able to appreciate this

Fuck energybending, it's been the cause of so many of my headaches. It's my number 1 issue with the Avatar series.
If it hadn't been strictly used as a plot device, then I don't think it would have been nearly as much of an issue. To be fair, the idea that we can bend the energy within us has existed since we learned about chakras, chi, and spiritual energy. All of which have been since Earth.

-Spiritbending
-Spiritual projection (and yes, the vines and Spirit Korra count)
-Energy sensing
-Jinora, Queen of the Fairies
-Removal/restoration of bending
-Fuck, even healing using water counts
-The Spirit Oasis (and there are multiple)
-Straight up bending spirit energy (Giant kaiju lasers and Kuvira's spirit weapon)
-Firebending can act as a catalyst for energybending, as seen by the one priestess that assisted Korra in Spirits when she was sensing the damage to Korra's Avatar spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom