• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

Man, I've been reading some amazing fanfiction this past weekend.

Korra x Asami stuff here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10837027/1/Nightmares-and-Daydreams

Slow burn fanfic. Took me last night and today to finish. It was begun before Book 4 ended so there's some canon inconsistencies, though they're minor. The author is concise with her scope considering its 14 chapters long. There's only a handful of characters in it, so the story focuses on the growing relationship the two women have. It's mostly told through Asami's point of view, with Korra getting bits of pieces here and there.

I like this story a lot because none of it feels lame and gaudy, like how some writers will have them get married immediately. Instead, we have Asami gradually understanding why she thinks about Korra all the time, and the writer nails how pitiful she is upon her realizing her true feelings.

Also the writer is meticulous about body movement between Korra and Asami. That might be a turn off, but I felt it conveys how intimate the two are when together.

If you want something quicker but still have substance, check this one out: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10919174/1/To-Love-is-to-Fear

It's only five chapters long, but it doesn't need to go any farther than it does. It's about the two visiting Korra's parents, who express their dissent of the couple.

I've had it for years. My backlog is fucking huge. I still have unbeaten Playstation 2 games. A lot actually. And I just remembered that I have unbeaten Playstation 1 games.

Backlog, shmacklog. I used to say shit like that when I needed an excuse not to play or watch something, but then I realized it made it sound like my hobby was a chore, when it isn't. If you don't want to play/watch/read something, then don't and just say that you don't want to. No reason to make it seem like a "To Do List."

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
aang turning into a giant spirit thingy is kinda different from korra's since he just acts as a vessel for the spirit of the ocean to wreck shit on the fools that killed his partner. it's a quick, convinient way to clean up the siege on the water tribe, since Zhao's plan had already failed thanks to Yue.

Meanwhile, giant spirit Korra is her becoming a giant kaiju by sitting in a tree for a while because reasons and then having a giant Pacific Rim fight that had to be resolved via a deus ex machina so hard not even the creator himself could explain it.

Daemul

Here's a pretty cool gif of the Political World map of the Avatar world over the course of the entire series.

zEtIERI.gif

Backlog, shmacklog. I used to say shit like that when I needed an excuse not to play or watch something, but then I realized it made it sound like my hobby was a chore, when it isn't. If you don't want to play/watch/read something, then don't and just say that you don't want to. No reason to make it seem like a "To Do List."
A lot of my games I don't hate. When you have a regular job and you constantly buy games shit really just piles up, but I do know what you're saying.

aang turning into a giant spirit thingy is kinda different from korra's since he just acts as a vessel for the spirit of the ocean to wreck shit on the fools that killed his partner. it's a quick, convinient way to clean up the siege on the water tribe, since Zhao's plan had already failed thanks to Yue.

Meanwhile, giant spirit Korra is her becoming a giant kaiju by sitting in a tree for a while because reasons and then having a giant Pacific Rim fight that had to be resolved via a deus ex machina so hard not even the creator himself could explain it.

Aang merging with the Spirit of the Ocean was a similar scenario. It's explicitly stated that the Tree of Time is an extremely spiritual place and that Korra is literally energybending herself. She's giving her own spiritual projection a giant power boost. Aang merged his spirit with another and became a giant, glowing fish monster made of water.

I've seen multiple interpretations of that scene with Aang, whereas Spirit Korra actually had an explanation given by Tenzin as she was doing it. Korra also has the benefit of Harmonic Convergence, which was a giant way to say "look at this thing that fucks up everything!" They're basically the same, one just seems more believable than the other for some reason. I will defend Mike and Bryan to a certain extent with Jinora: They did explicitly state that she was not gathering pieces of Raava or trying to rebuild her. It's not a true answer, but it's not a total cluelessness as people make it out to be, either.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a pretty cool gif of the Political World map of the Avatar world over the course of the entire series.

zEtIERI.gif

Missing how the Earth Kingdom was divided into several provinces in the end :p
And hey, say what you will about Kuvira, but she was really effective at conquering.

Missing how the Earth Kingdom was divided into several provinces in the end :p
And hey, say what you will about Kuvira, but she was really effective at conquering.

Hm... I have to rewatch the finale then. It was either a republic replacing the empire or provinces gaining their independence. Realistically, if that tone can be honestly be apply here, the Earth Empire would most likely return to the chaotic state it was in prior. Instead of unprofessional bandits being Warlords, it would be remnants of Kuvira's armee. If you declare regions their independence AND destroy a centralize government, don't expect there be no consequences. So in the end the people of the central continent got screwed over again. Lost economically viable lands of Republic City (situated close to two neighbouring nations) and a modern centralized government.

Kinvara

Hm... I have to rewatch the finale then. It was either a republic replacing the empire or provinces gaining their independence. Realistically, if that tone can be honestly be apply here, the Earth Empire would most likely return to the chaotic state it was in prior. Instead of unprofessional bandits being Warlords, it would be remnants of Kuvira's armee. You declare regions their independence AND destroy a centralize government without consequence. So in the end the people of the central continent got screwed over again. Lost economically viable lands of Republic City (situated close to two neighbouring nations) and a modern centralized government.

Prince Wu stated he would let each province have their own elected leaders making it an Earth Confederacy or the United States of Earth.

Daemul

Prince Wu stated he would let each province have their own elected leaders making it an Earth Confederacy or the United States of Earth.

I'm not exactly sure how that's going to be implemented in a nation full of chaos, but good luck to Wu.

I have 569 games on steam alone, but I have learned to not give a crap about it like most steam users.
At least Steam tells you how many you have. I lost count a good long time ago. I'll try to eventually finish the games I actually like. Ass Creed can kiss the crack of my ass but I do want to finish SMT 3: Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4 and Digital Devil Saga.

DedValve

Banned
I never noticed until now but in Mass Effect the femshep I made a year ago looks and acts almost exactly like Kuvira.

I started a year ago but the moment I hit ME3 I lost all steam to keep playing. I have all this dlc that I never touched so now I'm forcing myself through it.

I'll try and post a pic.

I never noticed until now but in Mass Effect the femshep I made a year ago looks and acts almost exactly like Kuvira.

I started a year ago but the moment I hit ME3 I lost all steam to keep playing. I have all this dlc that I never touched so now I'm forcing myself through it.

I'll try and post a pic.
Please. I can't wait to see your intergalactic space Nazi.

DedValve

Banned
It just occured to me how much like Kuvira she was. No wonder I like Kuvira so much....I have a type.

This may or may not include book 2 abusive Korra

crap quality but its all I got.

EDIT: You can't tell in this pic but she's got her hair in a bun like Kuvira.

KuviraShep_zpsd32dd2b5.jpg

Daemul

The Avatar series is asking for an RPG.

This would be so good. I wouldn't like to play as the Avatar though, I would want to play as a normal bender, and have the ability to choose the element of bending I want to use in the CC screen(Firebending for life), so that we could actually focus on developing our element and unlock its advanced techniques, rather than diluting the whole system by having all four basic elements, and having to stick with only them, because being the Avatar and having every advanced technique open to you would break the game.

So you would create your character, choose your element, and as you make progress in the game and get more powerful, you start unlocking advanced bending techniques:

Firebenders: Lightning and Combustion
Waterbenders: Bloodbending and Healing(turning water into ice will just be part of the normal waterbending skill tree)
Earthbenders: Lavabending and Metalbending
Airbenders: Flight and Astral Projection(LOL! Just joking about astral projection) Airbenders will get something which is actually a subset of airbending lol

Now all I gotta do is go and pitch this game to a big time RPG dev.

It just occured to me how much like Kuvira she was. No wonder I like Kuvira so much....I have a type.

This may or may not include book 2 abusive Korra

crap quality but its all I got.

EDIT: You can't tell in this pic but she's got her hair in a bun like Kuvira.

Ah, you went Adept, no wonder you're struggling to get through the game, the Adept is the most boring class to play as in ME3, the other 5 are much more fun.

Browsing Tumblr for some fan art, found.... something with I think was Aang and Kai (
AZKHly7.png
!!!) and now I want to take a fifth of anti freeze to the head.

It was a fun read. Azula's edits had me dying

I got out quick. Some of the shit in that thread angered me.

Also, ATLA has an RPG. It's a top-down, action-RPG in the vein of stuff like X-Men Legends, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Dungeons & Dragons Heroes, etc. It's for the PS2, XBOX, and GCN, and was developed and published by THQ. I own it and have played it. It has some cool stuff, but is ultimately very average and easy. If you really want that Avatarverse fix, go ahead. As far as I'm concerned, Platinum's The Legend of Korra is the closest I have to my perfect Avatarverse game.

Browsing Tumblr for some fan art, found.... something with I think was Aang and Kai (
AZKHly7.png
!!!) and now I want to take a fifth of anti freeze to the head.
Sounds like somebody accidentally walked into some Destiji shenanigans.
Could the Krew survive Mass Effect 2's suicide mission?

Nope.

But the Persona 4 crew could with flying colors.
Bolin wouldn't even pay attention during the mission briefing. Naoto would plan the shit out of that suicide mission.

I'm not exactly sure how that's going to be implemented in a nation full of chaos, but good luck to Wu.

Well, let's be honest: The only thing that was really in chaos was Ba Sing Se. The rest of the Earth Kingdom, as far as we know, kept to them selves and just paid their individual state taxes (if it even worked like that). So, deposing the Queen wouldn't have caused that much of an issue, I'd think. I would imagine most of the villages and states would stick to themselves (like Zaofu) and just cheer for the fact that they didn't have to pay anything extra. Special cases are there, sure, but ultimately I doubt it would've changed much. Really, it was Raiko (and maybe some other world leaders) wanting a piece of that action. Honestly that's the major reason Kuvira did what she did: she was sick and tired of the Earth Kingdom being taken advantage of by others. In light of that, she decided "let's unite everything and make it pure Earth Kingdom."

I hope she writes a book. What do you think for a title? Mein Kampf a little too on the nose?

PBalfredo

The Avatar series is asking for an RPG.

[Kuvira Shepard]

Heh, I just started playing Divinity: Original Sin which I got off the steam sale. Since its main gimmick is having two main playable custom characters, and I still got avatar on the brain, I decided to model my characters off of Korra and Aang. Roleplaying the two of them and having their personalities bounce off each other should be pretty fun. I was able to make a decent Korra, but unfortunately couldn't make a decent looking Aang. Male character model is way too bulky, no good asian facial structure and this must be the only western RPG in all of history to not have a bald option for hair.

Buuuuut, then I realized the default female model with black hair basically is Asami... so now my playthrough is just going to be one giant Korrasami fanfic. No regrets.

Afrocious

In Diablo 3, I just named the female Wizard Azula, specialized in fire and electric spells, and called it a day.

I mean seriously, you may as well be playing Azula after the ATLA comics considering they have the same VA.

PBalfredo

This would be so good. I wouldn't like to play as the Avatar though, I would want to play as a normal bender, and have the ability to choose the element of bending I want to use in the CC screen(Firebending for life), so that we could actually focus on developing our element and unlock its advanced techniques, rather than diluting the whole system by having all four basic elements, and having to stick with only them, because being the Avatar and having every advanced technique open to you would break the game.

So you would create your character, choose your element, and as you make progress in the game and get more powerful, you start unlocking advanced bending techniques:

Firebenders: Lightning and Combustion
Waterbenders: Bloodbending and Healing(turning water into ice will just be part of the normal waterbending skill tree)
Earthbenders: Lavabending and Metalbending
Airbenders: Flight and Astral Projection(LOL! Just joking about astral projection) Airbenders will get something which is actually a subset of airbending lol

Now all I gotta do is go and pitch this game to a big time RPG dev.

It's no vidya game, but for those who like pen 'n paper RPGs there is a pretty good fanmade ATLA ruleset for 4th edition Dungeon n Dragons. It has rules each bending type, each of which can gain the specialized bending arts as a prestige class.

I used it previously to run a campaign back around the first season of Korra. It works pretty well for the players; the DM needs to put in some work since it doesn't include any pregenerated enemies, but I was used to making all of my own stuff in custom campaigns. We actually got through a "Book" and a half before too much stuff got in the way and the group disbanded, but it was pretty fun. Lots of misadventures, especially since the person playing the avatar's gimmick was that he was the world's shittiest avatar (and no I don't mean he was playing Korra, shut up.) Highlights include the avatar unsuccessfully trying to steal a baby badgermole, the avatar successfully kidnapping the king of Omashu (age 9), the avatar losing an Agni Ki to a fire nation captain but then Team Avatar stealing his boat anyways, and the avatar going several play sessions with his face stolen by Koh. The game petered out around the time Team Avatar was using one of their members to impersonate a long lost Fire Nation princess so they could usurp the Firelord.

Good times.

what is this thread even about anymore

kuvira has no meaning

we need community rewatch so bad

What about that thread Azula was making? Or someone else was? I was re-watching all of TLoK and trying to talk about it. I like to think I started a few good convos here and there. Topics change but it always comes back to the same fan fiction and fan art and complaining about how TLoK isn't another show.

It's genuinely just a weird community thread at this point.

360pages

Because people don't have "bonds" like that in real life.

Just finished watching kill la kill. What a stupid show.

Hey now, getting angry because almost every group of characters in animated history are more friends than the Krew isn't fair.

(Seriously, the Stardust Crusaders are better friends and you find out that they were only together for 50 days.)

Well, let's be honest: The only thing that was really in chaos was Ba Sing Se. The rest of the Earth Kingdom, as far as we know, kept to them selves and just paid their individual state taxes (if it even worked like that). So, deposing the Queen wouldn't have caused that much of an issue, I'd think. I would imagine most of the villages and states would stick to themselves (like Zaofu) and just cheer for the fact that they didn't have to pay anything extra. Special cases are there, sure, but ultimately I doubt it would've changed much. Really, it was Raiko (and maybe some other world leaders) wanting a piece of that action. Honestly that's the major reason Kuvira did what she did: she was sick and tired of the Earth Kingdom being taken advantage of by others. In light of that, she decided "let's unite everything and make it pure Earth Kingdom."

I hope she writes a book. What do you think for a title? Mein Kampf a little too on the nose?
There lies the problem with how the situation after the Earth Kingdom fell played out in the show. Based from what was said by other characters there were problems with bandits and isolated provinces because of said rampant bandits. It's a situation similar to the Warlord Period in 20th century China, former generals of the old regime declare themselves protectors of their respective provinces and lay de jure claim to others. Much like what happened after the dynasty fell the roving band of bandits went up to 11 since the fall of a legitimate government. In this situation, as you just said, it is very easy for other powers to take advantage of this situation, e.g. Imperial Japan to decentralized China. So I disagree that only in Ba Sing Se is the only place in chaos. Also, on the subject of a "Mein Kampf" for Kuvira, we don't see a lot of reasons for her sudden interest in "pure" Earth citizens. There was no fore-bearers of such ideas in the Earth Kingdom or central continent, unlike Hitler whom had a Karl Lueger for combing anti-Semite feelings and populist politics.

There lies the problem with how the situation after the Earth Kingdom fell played out in the show. Based from what was said by other characters there were problems with bandits and isolated provinces because of said rampant bandits. It's a situation similar to the Warlord Period in 20th century China, former generals of the old regime declare themselves protectors of their respective provinces and lay de jure claim to others. Much like what happened after the dynasty fell the roving band of bandits went up to 11 since the fall of a legitimate government. In this situation, as you just said, it is very easy for other powers to take advantage of this situation, e.g. Imperial Japan to decentralized China. So I disagree that only in Ba Sing Se is the only place in chaos. Also, on the subject of a "Mein Kampf" for Kuvira, we don't see a lot of reasons for her sudden interest in "pure" Earth citizens. There was no fore-bearers of such ideas in the Earth Kingdom or central continent, unlike Hitler whom had a Karl Lueger for combing anti-Semite feelings and populist politics.

Her reasons are stated: she wants to 100% unite the Earth Kingdom and she didn't want her people to be taken advantage of. In her mind, the best way to do that is to remove non-Earth citizens and that includes non-earthbenders (save for non-benders who are Earth citizens). Also, any dissenters to her got thrown in camps, too. If you look at her army, it was strictly earthbenders mixed with non-benders willing to dedicate themselves to her.

The Earth Queen wanted a similar scenario, but she was willing to use airbenders as a military force, since after Harmonic Convergence she was planning some sort of attack to re-take Republic City.

I did forget about the mention of bandits, so that's true. Still, bandits were all over beforehand, too.

Her reasons are stated: she wants to 100% unite the Earth Kingdom and she didn't want her people to be taken advantage of. In her mind, the best way to do that is to remove non-Earth citizens and that includes non-earthbenders (save for non-benders who are Earth citizens). Also, any dissenters to her got thrown in camps, too. If you look at her army, it was strictly earthbenders mixed with non-benders willing to dedicate themselves to her.

The Earth Queen wanted a similar scenario, but she was willing to use airbenders as a military force, since after Harmonic Convergence she was planning some sort of attack to re-take Republic City.

I did forget about the mention of bandits, so that's true. Still, bandits were all over beforehand, too.

Bandits were all over beforehand? They were only history because of Kuvira as far as the show is concerned. The one example we seen was a sizable group ambushing trains/cargo around unpledged provinces near the end of Kuvira's campaign. This implies that similar situations are ongoing with other provinces that had not pledge allegiances.

Why would she imprison water and fire benders during her campaign to unite the former Earth Kingdom when she was sanctioned by other world leaders from the start? Such actions, of which even a whiff of it comes back to any of the world leaders would endanger her initial legitimacy. In this kind of false campaign of uniting the former kingdom for Wu, these people would not oppose Kuvira. Even when after her intentions were made clear, are there any reasons not to either evict or convert the water&fire benders once she proclaim her empire? Oh, she can't because she already sent them to the camps, for unprovoked charges of destabilization during her 3 years of sanctioned actions. Which is why I dislike the idea of her imprisoning "non-Earth citizens" in the first place, it makes no sense. Either story-wise because she didn't explain or said a piece about it, except maybe some inferring on her idea of stability. Which is also not detailed and boils down to "just cause". Eh.... I guess I'm still peeved at a lot of the tell and not show problems in relation to Kuvira and being "The worst dictator ever"~Korra

It's no vidya game, but for those who like pen 'n paper RPGs there is a pretty good fanmade ATLA ruleset for 4th edition Dungeon n Dragons. It has rules each bending type, each of which can gain the specialized bending arts as a prestige class.

I used it previously to run a campaign back around the first season of Korra. It works pretty well for the players; the DM needs to put in some work since it doesn't include any pregenerated enemies, but I was used to making all of my own stuff in custom campaigns. We actually got through a "Book" and a half before too much stuff got in the way and the group disbanded, but it was pretty fun. Lots of misadventures, especially since the person playing the avatar's gimmick was that he was the world's shittiest avatar (and no I don't mean he was playing Korra, shut up.) Highlights include the avatar unsuccessfully trying to steal a baby badgermole, the avatar successfully kidnapping the king of Omashu (age 9), the avatar losing an Agni Ki to a fire nation captain but then Team Avatar stealing his boat anyways, and the avatar going several play sessions with his face stolen by Koh. The game petered out around the time Team Avatar was using one of their members to impersonate a long lost Fire Nation princess so they could usurp the Firelord.

Good times.

That sounds hilarious.

rescue your bae Toa!!!

So, he ain't cool with waifu, but bae is okay. I see how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom