• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
das it mane!! i'm done
nnd1MFe.png

PBalfredo

Good list. For me, Korra wins because of her win over Vaatu and her reestablishment of the Avatar in the world. How do you top that? Though, they walked different paths in different time periods. Seems like the writers gave her more to overcome...

Korra is the better Avatar, but I think Aang would destroy her in a fight. Boy Aang vs. adult Korra, to be clear.

Nah man. If nothing else, Korra wins because she can metalbend and Aang can't. Bend some metal around him and it's GG baldy.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
btw Zuko Alone>>>Korra Alone

Not even a contest, I believe Zuko Alone is one of the greatest episodes on the entire franchise. It perfectly explains who Zuko is and why, his relationships with his family, and how the world has been affected by the war in a kind of lower deck episode way, all in the span of 22 minutes,

Not even a contest, I believe Zuko Alone is one of the greatest episodes on the entire franchise. It perfectly explains who Zuko is and why, his relationships with his family, and how the world has been affected by the war in a kind of lower deck episode way, all in the span of 22 minutes,
Gotta love TNG.

Zuko Alone is a fucking masterpiece.

The actions of the child and his family at the end seem reprehensible given the context we see, but completely justifiable given the larger picture. A great episode that shows the effects of the war and humanizes the victims and those caught up in it.

Good list. For me, Korra wins because of her win over Vaatu and her reestablishment of the Avatar in the world. How do you top that? Though, they walked different paths in different time periods. Seems like the writers gave her more to overcome...

Korra is the better Avatar, but I think Aang would destroy her in a fight. Boy Aang vs. adult Korra, to be clear.

Let's put it this way: Aang is far more creative and generally more agile, but Korra is a goddamn street fighter.

SystemBug

I was wondering if anybody can recommend me animes to watch here, trying to fill the korra void, so far I have seen,

TTGL
Kill la Kill
Psycho Break
GTO
Durarara (Season 1)
Baccano

I generally prefer shorter animes, that last a few seasons as opposed to having over a 100 episodes.

I think bending was nerfed a lot in Korra so they could focus more on fight choreography, or so that's what it feels like to me.

It's kind of like the DBZ to DBGT shift. everybody became weak as shit.

I was wondering if anybody can recommend me animes to watch here, trying to fill the korra void, so far I have seen,

TTGL
Kill la Kill
Psycho Break
GTO
Durarara (Season 1)
Baccano

I generally prefer shorter animes, that last a few seasons as opposed to having over a 100 episodes.

I think bending was nerfed a lot in Korra so they could focus more on fight choreography, or so that's what it feels like to me.

It's kind of like the DBZ to DBGT shift. everybody became weak as shit.

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

NOW. It's 50-60 episodes but it's legitimately one of the GOAT. I watched it while Korra season three was airing and it was amazing. It's in a league beyond Korra, and I personally think it's better than TLA as well.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

TTGL
Kill la Kill
Psycho Break
GTO
Durarara (Season 1)
Baccano

FLCL
Aku no Hana
Hellsing OVA
Deadman Wonderland
Fate/Zero
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
One Outs
Steins;Gate
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster (then Diebuster)

SystemBug

Watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

NOW. It's 50-60 episodes but it's legitimately one of the GOAT. I watched it while Korra season three was airing and it was amazing. It's in a league beyond Korra, and I personally think it's better than TLA as well.

FLCL
Aku no Hana
Hellsing OVA
Deadman Wonderland
Fate/Zero
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
One Outs
Steins;Gate
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster (then Diebuster)

Alright guys! Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm going to watch a season of Black Lagoon to see how it is, and then i'll jump into your recommendations

Black Lagoon is good shit. Also, given the choice I'd pick ATLA over FMAB. FMAB is good, but it doesn't have anything outstanding. It just does everything well, but there's nothing that stands out above the rest.

And I have genuinely had this debate in my head as to whether FMAB or ATLA

Also, FLCL is a genuinely good recommendation, since Bryan and Mike drew inspiration from it while doing both ATLA and TLoK.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

I'm going to watch a season of Black Lagoon to see how it is, and then i'll jump into your recommendations

No problem! Very excited to hear your impressions on Black Lagoon. Like BKatastrophe said, if you start on anything from my list after Black Lagoon I would definitely recommend giving FLCL a look. An amazing show with a wonderful soundtrack to boot.

No problem! Very excited to hear your impressions on Black Lagoon. Like BKatastrophe said, if you start on anything from my list after Black Lagoon I would definitely recommend giving FLCL a look. An amazing show with a wonderful soundtrack to boot.

Whoa whoa whoa, FLCL is very hit or miss. You either like it or you dislike it. I've never heard anyone say "eh, it's alright."

Now somebody will come along and prove me wrong.

Black Lagoon is good shit. Also, given the choice I'd pick ATLA over FMAB. FMAB is good, but it doesn't have anything outstanding. It just does everything well, but there's nothing that stands out above the rest.

And I have genuinely had this debate in my head as to whether FMAB or ATLA

Also, FLCL is a genuinely good recommendation, since Bryan and Mike drew inspiration from it while doing both ATLA and TLoK.

They're both excellent, but I think FMA:B takes the edge for me, being slightly less tropey in a few ways.

TLA will hold a special place because of the nostalgia (and the fact that it's damn good), but FMA:B blew me away.

They're both excellent, but I think FMA:B takes the edge for me, being slightly less tropey in a few ways.

TLA will hold a special place because of the nostalgia (and the fact that it's damn good), but FMA:B blew me away.

This is an argument in which I fully respect either side. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is one of my favorite anime of all time. I just appreciate ATLA for creating a unique world over FMAB's WWI vibe they had (the first FMA series really fucked that into oblivion).

So believe me, the battle is real.

As for the Aang vs Korra thing i will give the edge to Aang.

The execution just made Korra's feat feel inferior even though in concept they are way better things to have on a Avatar resume.

Also FLCL is alright (episode 6 is what redeems it for the most part)

You know what I want? I want another The Legend of Korra game by Platinum. I don't care how, but I want it. In that game, I want a boss battle. A boss battle specifically with Kuvira. I want it on top of a mountain, or a plateau, or a building, or on the side of some train tracks...nice. Open, yet personal.

I want her to say "Let's finish this, Avatar."

And then, I want her to walk towards me.

To this song

That is what I want in this life.

So yes, I want Jetstream Sam: Korra Edition.

I finally got to this video...Varrick and Jinora are shockingly perverted. I can see Jinora going all 50 Shades of Grey on Kai...no wonder why he stopped talking.

Black Lagoon is good...way better than Baccano. It's got two seasons and an OVA, watch all of it. Also try Claymore, The Seven Samurai, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Spice and Wolf, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, Gunslinger Girl, Full Metal Panic and Soul Eater. My mind tends to just draw a blank on the anime I've watched and I don't have time to thumb through my collection.

Lethe82

Banned
I just saw that Korra thread on OT lololol

I am still going to reply to WrenchNinja probably on the weekend when I have time. His selective blindness is staggering.

I'm quite sure that's Amon's Lieutenant.

I always found him to be a complete badass. Sure he just existed to job, but you have to give him props for how good he was as a non bender and his persistence. I kind of wish we got to see some of him post Amon.

I always found him to be a complete badass. Sure he just existed to job, but you have to give him props for how good he was as a non bender and his persistence. I kind of wish we got to see some of him post Amon.
His electric tonfas or whatever were pretty cool. He was great in that fight aboce the stadium. After that he got jobbed hard, still fun to watch though.

Daemul

His electric tonfas or whatever were pretty cool. He was great in that fight aboce the stadium. After that he got jobbed hard, still fun to watch though.

Poor dude, at least he doesn't have it as bad as the Orcs in the middle earth movies, who are huge hulking beasts in steel armour who job to everyone including random peasants and little kids.

DedValve

Banned
Heh, I just started playing Divinity: Original Sin which I got off the steam sale. Since its main gimmick is having two main playable custom characters, and I still got avatar on the brain, I decided to model my characters off of Korra and Aang. Roleplaying the two of them and having their personalities bounce off each other should be pretty fun. I was able to make a decent Korra, but unfortunately couldn't make a decent looking Aang. Male character model is way too bulky, no good asian facial structure and this must be the only western RPG in all of history to not have a bald option for hair.

Buuuuut, then I realized the default female model with black hair basically is Asami... so now my playthrough is just going to be one giant Korrasami fanfic. No regrets.

....and just like that Divinity is on my wishlist.

I really hope the cover art for the artbook 4 is just the holding of hands with the spirit portal in the distance. It would be so fucking good.

....and just like that Divinity is on my wishlist.

I really hope the cover art for the artbook 4 is just the holding of hands with the spirit portal in the distance. It would be so fucking good.
I thought the artbook cover was confirmed to be of Korra and Kuvira?

DedValve

Banned
I thought the artbook cover was confirmed to be of Korra and Kuvira?

There is zero chance that is the cover art. More likely placeholder either by Nick/Darkhorse/Amazon.

Look at all the other artbooks including Airbenders, no chance. Seems like a standard, less then stellar photoshop job when all the other artbooks (and Bryke always comments this) where artworks that they (darkhorse) chose and really love.

Im sure whatever the real cover art will be glorious. My hope is either korrasami or have a recreated version of the very first Korra pic with her staring out at Republic City. That would really be such a good way to close Korra, with the very first image of her. EDIT: Especially if it's a recreated one that looks almost like the original but now with the new spirit portal instead of just standard Republic City. That would too cool.

That White Orc leader Gothmog was doing a fairly decent job in beating Gondor till Rohan and Aragorn's ghost army ruined his party.
I really need to watch those again, just never feel like watching one thing for over 3 hours. I just remember Sean Bean being Sean Bean and parts of the Two Towers, Brad Douriff being Grima Wormtongue and epic Vigo Mortensen and Christopher Lee. It might be time for a rewatch...if I can stay awake for the whole thing.
There is zero chance that is the cover art. More likely placeholder either by Nick/Darkhorse/Amazon.

Look at all the other artbooks including Airbenders, no chance. Seems like a standard, less then stellar photoshop job when all the other artbooks (and Bryke always comments this) where artworks that they (darkhorse) chose and really love.
Ok thanks for the correction.

DedValve

Banned
I really need to watch those again, just never feel like watching one thing for over 3 hours. I just remember Sean Bean being Sean Bean and parts of the Two Towers, Brad Douriff being Grima Wormtongue and epic Vigo Mortensen and Christopher Lee. It might be time for a rewatch...if I can stay awake for the whole thing.

Ok thanks for the correction.

Np, I find it odd that they'd give it a placeholder. Especially when the others never got any and neither did the blu-rays. Half the reason I think this might be so is because of Korrasami but that doesn't make much sense. The other is Darkhorse still choosing what could be the last Avatar artbook ever and they want to make sure it's perfect which is far more likely.

Oh man I'm probably more excited for the cover than I am for the book lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom