• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mind Amon's lack of fight scenes because of his sheer presence. You just know he'd fuck everyone up if they even tried. He's established as this amazing force of nature in "The Revelation". And then they build on that even more when he walks through Tarrloks bloddbending, which was also shown to be extremely powerful. Plus that scene is one of the best in the entire franchise IMO.

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif

Magwik

Banned
I didn't mind Amon's lack of fight scenes because of his sheer presence. You just know he'd fuck everyone up if they even tried. He's established as this amazing force of nature in "The Revelation". And then they build on that even more when he walks through Tarrloks bloddbending, which was also shown to be extremely powerful. Plus that scene is one of the best in the entire franchise IMO.

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif

Yeah the big difference between Amon and Kuvira is that one you knew how powerful he was and you believed it, while the other kept having to remind you how badass and how much of a danger she is.
Zaheer got like the perfect mix of both though.

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif
When you can't really show off how bad ass your end boss is in a fight in an action show then you have a problem. He had good screen presence which he garnered through that Steve Blum voice, but he just swagged his way through his fights. The season didn't lack action but after the first season he's not fun to watch from an action stand point. Take the red lotus for example. They had some dynamic and bad ass fight scenes. Their infiltration of Zaofu trumps anything Amon was in. Amon had the fight above the stadium but he wasn't much of a combatant during it.

Yeah the big difference between Amon and Kuvira is that one you knew how powerful he was and you believed it, while the other kept having to remind you how badass and how much of a danger she is.

I didn't think Kuvira was that impressive though. She takes out some ragtag bandits. Her best fight is with Su, who is a freaking side character. In reality she gets destroyed by a single avatar state air blast.

When you can't really show off how bad ass your end boss is in a fight in an action show then you have a problem. He had good screen presence which he garnered through that Steve Blum voice, but he just swagged his way through his fights. The season didn't lack action but after the first season he's not fun to watch from an action stand point. Take the red lotus for example. They had some dynamic and bad ass fight scenes. Their infiltration of Zaofu trumps anything Amon was in. Amon had the fight above the stadium but he wasn't much of a combatant during it.

I guess he didn't really have action scenes. I don't really care though, I still think he was one of the best villian of the show just for his presence. Amon is a real threat. He even captures Korra and could've ended it right there. Instead he says that it's not her time yet and that will destroy her in that sweet sweet Steve Blum voice. And then Korra basically runs away from him until the finale. I guess Bryke didn't know how to craft action scenes with him not bending, which is weird because there were some good ones with the chi blockers. Maybe they wanted to keep him mysterious.

I guess he didn't really have action scenes. I don't really care though, I still think he was one of the best villian of the show just for his presence. Amon is a real threat. He even captures Korra and could've ended it right there. Instead he says that it's not her time yet and that will destroy her in that sweet sweet Steve Blum voice. And then Korra basically runs away from him until the finale. I guess Bryke didn't know how to craft action scenes with him not bending, which is weird because there were some good ones with the chi blockers. Maybe they wanted to keep him mysterious.
He's a good villain with a legit point, everybody but Unalaq had a legit point. He saw that the world needed changing and it was true. Only problem was the guy was a major hypocrite.

Hamlet

lets say I wanna cosplay as bataar, how do I make the jacket?

also I finished watching FMA: Brotherhood, and man, that was good!

Nice.
Don't forget to watch The Sacred Star of Milos if you're still wanting for more FMAB. It's a standalone movie that takes place halfway through FMAB and it's pretty decent.
Chock full of action and nicely done fighting sequences.

SystemBug

Told ya! It's one of the GOAT.

oh yeah!

"Terrible day for rain"
somebody was chopping some hardcore onions

Nice.
Don't forget to watch The Sacred Star of Milos if you're still wanting for more FMAB. It's a standalone movie that takes place halfway through FMAB and it's pretty decent.
Chock full of action and nicely done fighting sequences.
I will watch that but first I'm going to see what Fate/Zero has to offer

Speaking of Netflix, they're starting to add Korra to Netflix in territories NOT named the United States (smh)

anyhow.... back to reading my Kuvira/
Opal
fic

And when is the community thread going to be up?

I need to watch Fate/Zero as well. Gaf keeps giving me anime suggestions...too much to catch up on.

oh yeah!

"Terrible day for rain"
somebody was chopping some hardcore onions

I will watch that but first I'm going to see what Fate/Zero has to offer

Fate Zero is badass. It's pretty damn serious so it's not for everyone. I enjoyed watching it regardless. Some parts are legitimately off-putting though.

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif

He's a good villain with a legit point, everybody but Unalaq had a legit point. He saw that the world needed changing and it was true. Only problem was the guy was a major hypocrite.
I mean this all pretty much covers it. I liked Amon a lot but it was a critical flaw that he couldn't have a good action sequence UNLESS Korra went Avatar State, and then it would be one-sided in her favor. I've defended this series based on the fact that it's action and plot heavy in comparison to ATLA's adventure and world, but because of that Amon becomes a critically flawed character and concept, since he's too overpowered and in order to match him a power-up was necessary. The problem is that said power-up would have flipped the field instead of leveling it, creating the same scenario in the opposite direction, and therefore wouldn't actually fix the flaw.

Also, Tarrlok did say that he believed Amon truly believed that bending was the root of evil in this world. So, that. Do with that what you will. The rest of his motives were sort of "Our destiny as Yakone's sons even though we didn't want to follow blah blah blah."

Hamlet

heh
tumblr_m6jbimfJN61qlghxeo1_400.gif

Speaking of Netflix, they're starting to add Korra to Netflix in territories NOT named the United States (smh)

anyhow.... back to reading my Kuvira/
Opal
fic

And when is the community thread going to be up?

Netflix isn't going to get Korra or Avatar for quite some time in the US due to the big streaming deals Vicom have with Amazon/Hulu. Better than Australia though as they only just started showing Book 4 this week on Nick.
As for the avatar community thread, I believe Omikaru last said it's only a few more days away now.

I mean this all pretty much covers it. I liked Amon a lot but it was a critical flaw that he couldn't have a good action sequence UNLESS Korra went Avatar State, and then it would be one-sided in her favor. I've defended this series based on the fact that it's action and plot heavy in comparison to ATLA's adventure and world, but because of that Amon becomes a critically flawed character and concept, since he's too overpowered and in order to match him a power-up was necessary. The problem is that said power-up would have flipped the field instead of leveling it, creating the same scenario in the opposite direction, and therefore wouldn't actually fix the flaw.

Also, Tarrlok did say that he believed Amon truly believed that bending was the root of evil in this world. So, that. Do with that what you will. The rest of his motives were sort of "Our destiny as Yakone's sons even though we didn't want to follow blah blah blah."

Man people keep saying this and I say this every single time

Teamwork would take him down. No one is too OP for some creative coordination. That's what I wanted to see in the finale. Team Avatar coming up with a plan.

I don't know if people always think i'm joking when I say that, but whenever I say that it seems to be glossed over.

GamerSoul

Kuvira is damn sexy when she's drawn properly.

True. At first glance, she looks kinda bland with the whole "order" persona, but she has a lot of features to work with. I wonder how her story would have panned out if the main antagonist of the last two books were reversed.

Lethe82

Banned

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif

Agreed, and I don't find that his 'omg' presence or moments are any less potent on re-watches, he was a terrifying force of nature period. His scenes were so well executed that I always find not only his presence but the characters reaction to him to be authentic. Like when Korra was caged up at the hut, and she escapes and is running away, when she sees Amon you can feel her fear of him and it made perfect sense. It's still a chilling moment even on re-watches.

Amon didn't need legit fight scenes to be a badass, and season 1 had some great fights that all happened specifically because of Amon and the influence he had. He really was the perfect example of actually succeeding at what the writers had tried to do with Kuvira.

Man people keep saying this and I say this every single time

Teamwork would take him down. No one is too OP for some creative coordination. That's what I wanted to see in the finale. Team Avatar coming up with a plan.

I don't know if people always think i'm joking when I say that, but whenever I say that it seems to be glossed over.

Absolutely team work/blind siding him could take him down in theory. I really don't get the idea that your villain must be able to give you amazing 1 on 1 fight scenes in an action heavy show, as long as they do their job and create the necessary conflicts they're a success. Amon was an overwhelming success and probably the best overall villain of the series. His only competition would be Zaheer who has a little bit of a weird thing going on when you consider his 'enlightenment' versus his goals. As much as I do like Zaheer, he seemed a little 'lower common denominator' in comparison to Amon, Zaheer (somewhat non-sensically) had amazing air bending powers and a posse that was designed to generate cool fight scene. Cool. I enjoyed that, but as a character I don't think he was as strong or necessarily cohesive as Amon, even though Zaheer did have his moments.

And I still really really enjoyed Zaheer as a villain in book 3.

I also don't agree that a villain has to be seriously strong to be a good villain (referring to Kuvira here). although I don't think she's that good of a villain, it doesn't have much to do with how strong/weak she is.

Lethe82

Banned
I also don't agree that a villain has to be seriously strong to be a good villain (referring to Kuvira here). although I don't think she's that good of a villain, it doesn't have much to do with how strong/weak she is.

EDIT: Agreed. As vague as it sounds a villain just needs to be good and that can take all sorts of forms.

On that note, Kuvira being able to completely school even a weakened Korra (having still just recently gotten all the poison out of her system) seemed weird to me, and took away from both Kuvira and Korra. Especially because Kuvira had some pretty decent dialogue that episode that made at least the pretense of a solid case for why she was doing what she was doing, and the failures and selfishness of the supposed good guys through inaction forcing someone to take action for the good of the earth empire.

One of the reasons that I have always enjoyed Battle At Laghima's Peak even if it was just fragmentation of team members with differing goals.

Lethe82

Banned
She would have been a good villain if much of the writing of book 4 wasn't so stilled and unfocused. There are episodes where the entire script reads like a first draft where they just got the basic plotting down (character says X to affirm decision, next Character says ok) and didn't bother to flesh out the dialogue or make it seem more natural or provide needed character depth and exposition. I feel like season 4 really suffered from burn out on the part of the writers, maybe it was the culmination of the authorial load they placed on themselves by repeating the same mistakes for the entire run (adding superfluous new characters all the time and then feeling compelled to 'do things' with those characters, all the while making the cast larger and larger while not really fleshing anyone out enough).

That being said, the best scene of book 4 thus far, at least for me, is when Varrik is going to blow himself and Bolin up on the train.

I just finished the recap episode, which was a lot better than I thought it would be (all things considered!), looking forward to the big finale stuff. It's a real shame that the episode they had to cut was basically the Korra/Asami episode that was gong to tie everything between them together more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom