• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I thought you had a problem with him being a bender in general (since you said when that was revealed, his character arc started to fall)

Because if you're fine with him being a bender, I'd think you wouldn't have a problem with him being a bloodbender considering that would make the most sense IMO for why he can take away bending

it was more bloodbending because it was always OP, especially this version where no full moon is required. Plus there is already a character with that shit who had his own arc to deal with, no need for another imo.

Honestly don't like like him being a bender either (since they squandered it due to the hiding and the lies) actually but if they had to it should be something he is not happy for having and trying to minimize its use (maybe just use the knowledge like Iroh did) or hell let his inner circle know he's a bender but his belief is so strong they trust him and his ideal.

basically if it was to stay it would need to have a good story element plus it keeps him defeatable since hey he's the fucking villian and he has to carry that card around (although it would be good as a "won the battle but not the war" scenario).

it was more bloodbending because it was always OP, especially this version where no full moon is required. Plus there is already a character with that shit who had his own arc to deal with, no need for another imo.

Honestly don't like like him being a bender either actually but if they had to it should be something he is not happy for having and trying to minimize its use or hell let his inner circle know he's a bender but his belief is so strong they trust him and his ideal.

basically if it was to stay it would need to have a good story element plus it keeps him defeatable since hey he's the fucking villian and he has to carry that card around (although it would be good as a "won the battle but not the war" scenario).

Well I just disagree with that then because I do think he wasn't too OP to be taken down, but I've said my points on this and we can just disagree with that because I want to get away from that aspect for now.

I personally don't think him being a bender at all was a flaw.... I thought it was extremely interesting actually. BUT the main downfall for me was that he didn't seem all that genuine or passionate about the "equality" thing in the first place. I would have loved it if he had to prove himself to his followers with a speech (after he's outed) why he still believes in the movement and being a bender doesn't change anything. Then he talks about his backstory more in depth and at the end, removes his mask. Looks like this, and then bam. The equalist movement is stronger than ever.

Honestly him being a bloodbender without ridiculous Yakone range and the "psychicness" would be fine tbh, at least for what i'm proposing.

Even then though, I always feel like there's a way to use creative/clever writing to overcome these scenarios. There are so many things I've watched where I think "Oh there's literally no way they could pull this off" and then they end up pulling it off in a creative way. That is kinda what I expect from good writing. Even if I can't personally come up with a solution, good writing makes it possible.

But even if you do it that way, then it just becomes a fucking pummel fest. That's not fun to watch either. It would have to be a team fight, but who would team up with Amon? Fucking who? Unless he convinced a couple really good chi blockers to be like "I still think bending is evil, tho" and then they were like "Oh ok."

It's different to creatively solve an issue and thus make it a surprise. This scenario can not play out the way you want it to because the rules in this universe will not allow it.

Unless energybending and spirits.

But even if you do it that way, then it just becomes a fucking pummel fest. That's not fun to watch either. It would have to be a team fight, but who would team up with Amon? Fucking who? Unless he convinced a couple really good chi blockers to be like "I still think bending is evil, tho" and then they were like "Oh ok."

It's different to creatively solve an issue and thus make it a surprise. This scenario can not play out the way you want it to because the rules in this universe will not allow it.

Unless energybending and spirits.

I'm just going to disagree with you here. The fight doesn't have to go that way. Team Avatar is what, individually a small fraction of Amon's OP swaginess. I don't see the fight being a straight pummel against him even in a 3v1. Having a well thought out sequence to handle the scenario that is fun to watch because of the choreography wouldn't in anyway be something that the universe wouldn't allow.

I personally don't think him being a bender at all was a flaw.... I thought it was extremely interesting actually. BUT the main downfall for me was that he didn't seem all that genuine or passionate about the "equality" thing in the first place.

i think it sadly became one due to how they handled it and it attributed to the lack of passion (along with his "backstory").

and i agree it would have been interesting if it was used to "rally the troops" per say but because of the secrecy it had a negative effect and he was now seen as some fraud for an interesting ideal (save for the use of force parts obviously) so i say cut it if it wont be used properly.

i think it sadly became one due to how they handled it and it attributed to the lack of passion (along with his "backstory").

and i agree it would have been interesting if it was used to "rally the troops" per say but because of the secrecy it had a negative effect and he was now seen as some fraud for an interesting ideal (save for the use of force parts obviously) so i say cut it if it wont be used properly.

I mean it did become a flaw because of what it eventually led to, but not because of what it was on it's own.

The last part is like saying "cut Amon" because he wasn't used properly lol

I mean it did become a flaw because of what it eventually led to, but not because of what it was on it's own.

The last part is like saying "cut Amon" because he wasn't used properly lol

but yet what it was on its own was also saddled with horseshit so eh i'm nonplussed .

Also that bullshit in that last part half i would agree with that line. :trollface

I'm just going to disagree with you here. The fight doesn't have to go that way. Team Avatar is what, individually a small fraction of Amon's OP swaginess. I don't see the fight being a straight pummel against him even in a 3v1. Having a well thought out sequence to handle the scenario wouldn't in anyway be something that the universe wouldn't allow.

It's either a pummel fest or everyone runs away. Fucking thrilling fight, when everyone's staying at an absurdly long distance from each other and trying to maybe get sneak attacks. Except, as soon as you step into Amon's range, he has you, and he has a huge range. Also, he can make people move slower through his bending (which is why he always seemed so fast).

There is no possible way that you can convince me that this would be an entertaining fight. It would effectively be a non-fight, which is what we already got. Amon is broke as fuck. They would have to create a bullshit scenario, which I've seen a lot of people were convinced already happened when Korra unlocked her airbending.

There is no world where a character this broken gets a good fight unless said character is fighting another equally broken character.

Hamlet

heh "All Hail the Great Fly Killer!"

tumblr_nhqdpxspDa1te3e3io1_500.gif

ONe of best Asami pics I've ever seen:
tumblr_nhwbalduWs1th5b0jo1_1280.png

She was so under-utilized -_-

they could've expanded on the equalist glove fighting style. they never did. in fact she gets overshadowed by varrick as the tinkerer scientist. WHY?!?! Why have two of the same archetype? Yes, Varrick is more comedic relief but I don't get what they were thinking. The only significant thing Varrick does in the entire over-arching plot is the spirit canon. Yes, it was important. But was he necessary? Don't get me wrong, I like his character, but I don't know if he was necessary. His entire plot in season 2 literally only exists to give Bolin, Mako, and Asami something to do, and even then it has absolutely zero effect on the outcome of that season.

Bebop is one of the best paced shows I've ever seen. Each episode feels like a complete story in its own right, which is why you feel like you've watched so much when you've only watched a little.

The movie is pretty great too.

It's either a pummel fest or everyone runs away. Fucking thrilling fight, when everyone's staying at an absurdly long distance from each other and trying to maybe get sneak attacks. Except, as soon as you step into Amon's range, he has you, and he has a huge range. Also, he can make people move slower through his bending (which is why he always seemed so fast).

There is no possible way that you can convince me that this would be an entertaining fight. It would effectively be a non-fight, which is what we already got. Amon is broke as fuck. They would have to create a bullshit scenario, which I've seen a lot of people were convinced already happened when Korra unlocked her airbending.

There is no world where a character this broken gets a good fight unless said character is fighting another equally broken character.
As I said, artillery strike or you nuke him from orbit, anything too close would not work. Kuvira and her colossus could probably work too since she has a range advantage.
This is an automail upgrade Edward wishes he had.
Zaheer should have kept his perfectly conditioned mane all through season 3, he looked far better with it.
It's like only the good guys got to keep their awesome hair. Kuvira got bunned, Zaheer got shaved...I'm shocked P'Li didn't get much of a hair downgrade because when cut some of it off she just got hotter and Ming Hua's was kept under decent control with her chopsticks pins.

Lethe82

Banned
I don't see the issue with Amons backstory, I wouldn't even say that missing out on the opportunity to use it to rally the troops was a problem (considering the zero run time they had left when it was revealed) a big deal but to each their own. Personally I thought that his story was pretty great and interesting, and a lot better than had he simply been... some non bender who could just take away powers and ignore blood bending for no real reason.

I still don't think that Amon not being able to provide a 'fight' fight is an issue, but:

It's all in the execution, it doesn't need to be a 'fight' a la Korra versus Zaheer, it just needs to be entertaining to the viewer. Amon can be distracted, overwhelmed, blindsided, just like anyone else, maybe even more so because he hasn't honed his fighting skills traditionally. Just look at how a Handicapped Korra and her father were fighting Zaheer and how they almost flat out killed him: Misdirection. You don't need an equally broken character to beat Amon, he got taken down by his brother blowing them both up because he didn't see it coming. Why not put him in circumstance that limits the effectiveness of Amons blood bending, then you can have a full on punchy fist fight as well with a full on Team Avatar versus a somewhat handicapped Amon. I mean worst case scenario, Future Industries could have been developing some kind of chi blocking cocktail that supresses bending abiltiies (under Asami's father), and you has the big play misdirection to hit him with that first, weakening his blood bending and allowing for a full on fight fight.

And there is always the issue that Amon must be aware of those around him to blood bend them (line of sight would play a factor here if he wasn't aware to begin with). or is he just passively aware of anyone in his aura? Get him in a lights out environment or one with a lot of sight blockers and you could have a very interesting fight using light, darkness, misdirection, switching in and out, and even some Future Industries night vision tech (which the equalists already have if I am not mistaken).

Amon is powerful as fuck, but you can create fight scenarios that put him on the defensive. I mean, let's not forget that Korra knocked him out a window with Air Bending at the end of season 1 and he was just standing there bieng like 'omg what do?!'.

Really the take away here is that I love Amon.

Actually I would have liked to have seen a bending inhibited Amon versus a bending inhibited Korra just for the choreography and brutality. We got a taste of it when the equalists bombed the pro bending arena (Korra versus Amons Lieutenant) but a true hand to hand Korra fight would have been something to see. Or Amon /w water bending versus Korra w only air bending and tons of close up melee.

Plus that scene is one of the best in the entire franchise IMO.

Also,

Amon_yuck.gif

I always reference this scene (in my head), Korra shooting the fireball into the ship, when people talk about how LoK is lower powered than AtlA. I mean yeah it is absolutely true, but it's all in the execution. That fireball might not have been as big as ones we saw in TLA, but damn if that moment wasn't insane; seeing everyone else in the ship knocked back off their feet, screaming, and all the loose bits in the cabinet flying about while Amon calmly steps off and looks down at the Avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom