• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
General Iroh all around felt like a wasted character, it seemed to me he was supposed to be a major supporting character but really never made it past minor recurring chracter for some reason.

General Iroh all around felt like a wasted character, it seemed to me he was supposed to be a major supporting character but really never made it past minor recurring chracter for some reason.
Mainly existed to show that Zuko had kids and that they had kids as well. Maybe Dante Basco was just too busy to reprise the character more ofter. I honestly have no idea.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I also always pegged him to be the true love interest of Korra after the Mako thing ended. Also, note to Legend of Korra, go watch Venture Brothers and learn how to properly utilize a large cast.

I also always pegged him to be the true love interest of Korra after the Mako thing ended. Also, note to Legend of Korra, go watch Venture Brothers and learn how to properly utilize a large cast.
I really need to do a full rewatch of the venture brothers. I've forgotten so much.

I wish Iroh had gotten a bigger role, too. At the same time, it makes sense that he didn't for the most part. He's the general of a massive military, so having him show up helping out a bunch of teens would've seemed odd. Especially with him having to take direct orders from Raiko, and Raiko being a dick. Still, would have been cool seeing him put in work against Kuvira's forces at the end.

Hamlet

That would have being an interesting direction to take due to the age gap. Dude is in his 40s now right.

I really need to do a full rewatch of the venture brothers. I've forgotten so much.

Haha same here. Should have watched a recap or something before watching the special yesterday ha. Fantastic episode regardless.

Hamlet

Lovely stuff

tumblr_nihw4gD34w1r6btzgo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nihw4gD34w1r6btzgo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nihw4gD34w1r6btzgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nihw4gD34w1r6btzgo1_1280.jpg

denimcatfish
So I thought about how they found out Aang was the Avatar by presenting him with a set of toys when he was very young and he chose the one that belonged to his previous lives… Korra’s the only Avatar that the next one will have a connection to. I didn’t have any toys in mind so I used the betrothal necklace from my previous comic. Also, imagined Asami joining the White Lotus when she was much older (after Korra passes) to help look for the next Avatar… and the result is this. xD
Gave the kid Heterochromia due to mixed heritage because why not…

CDiggity

Not to be a buzzkill...but unless Korra becomes super, almost suicidally blind to what she does, there is no way Asami outlives her.

Daemul

Going through that comic reminds me of just how bullshit the whole Avatar reincarnation thing is. How do loved ones of the previous Avatar even handle that shit, knowing that the new Avatar has no recollection of any of them, even though the Avatar spent decades with them in their past life?

All those memories, the laughs, the tears, the good times and the bad, everything you shared with them, is all forgotten. Fuck that shit.

Going through that comic reminds me of just how bullshit the whole Avatar reincarnation thing is. How do loved ones of the previous Avatar even handle that shit, knowing that the new Avatar has no recollection of any of them, even though the Avatar spent decades with them in their past life?

All those memories, the laughs, the tears, the good times and the bad, everything you shared with them, is all forgotten. Fuck that shit.

tbf it seems the avatar lives longer than usual (barring some other shit) to where most loved ones might not be around once they die and another successor is found.

Aang was a special case due to his ice prison snafu (and the one person who was eligible was kinda unhinged but yet was glad to see him back regardless).

I think the question is how the Avatar deals with it.

Daemul

tbf it seems the avatar lives longer than usual (barring some other shit) to where most loved ones might not be around once they die and another successor is found.

Aang was a special case due to his ice prison snafu (and the one person who was eligible was kinda unhinged but yet was glad to see him back regardless).

I think the question is how the Avatar deals with it.

Talking about Avatar lifespans....Isn't it weird that out of all the Avatars we got to know, Kyoshi is the only one who lived out her full lifespan(though it seems it was abnormally long, even among Avatar)?

Wan-Died after battle
Kuruk-Died young after taking the biggest L in history
Roku-Killed by poisonous volcanic gases
Aang-Died young because Tenzin dumped Lin for Pema

I really wouldn't be surprised if it was rare for Avatars to live past 70 due to the amount of dangerous situations they constantly find themselves in.

Talking about Avatar lifespans....Isn't it weird that out of all the Avatars we got to know, Kyoshi is the only one who lived out her full lifespan(though it seems it was abnormally long, even among Avatar)?

Wan-Died after battle
Kuruk-Died young after taking the biggest L in history
Roku-Killed by poisonous volcanic gases
Aang-Died young because Tenzin dumped Lin for Pema

I really wouldn't be surprised if it was rare for Avatars to live past 70 due to the amount of dangerous situations they constantly find themselves in.

Damn it Tenzin!!!

Hamlet

Not to be a buzzkill...but unless Korra becomes super, almost suicidally blind to what she does, there is no way Asami outlives her.

Haha yeah unless I suppose the mercury poisoning affected her more than we expected. Still it must be hard being the avatar and seeing everyone around you slowly dying off if the whole extended lifespan for avatars thing is true. Going be more difficult for Korra now that's she lost her connection to the past avatars.

It's a bit different but Deep Space 9 sorta deals with this kinda stuff.

He really did. Lin wouldn't tolerate being his brood mare, so he left her and severely downgraded to Pema because she would settle for being his baby factory as long as she was with him. His decision was

ngbbs513c87f40932e.jpg
Does the show ever state how long Tenzin and Lin were together. If it lasted like a decade or something then I could understand Lin being salty about the break up.

Does the show ever state how long Tenzin and Lin were together. If it lasted like a decade or something then I could understand Lin being salty about the break up.

they known each other since they were kids, then got together. No matter how long they were together, there is going to be a mountain of salt involved.

360pages

People keep forgetting that Lin didn't want kids. WHATSOEVER! like not even one. Probably due to her relationship with her own family. So Tenzin being like the only Airbender around, and him being responsible for rebuilding the air nomads, it was pretty much the one area he couldn't ignore.

People keep forgetting that Lin didn't want kids. WHATSOEVER! like not even one. Probably due to her relationship with her own family. So Tenzin being like the only Airbender around, and him being responsible for rebuilding the air nomads, it was pretty much the one area he couldn't ignore.
We didn't forget. You want kids then impregnate a concubine several times. Doesn't mean you have to drop Lin.

Is it really bullshit? Think about it: You know what the Avatar is. It's still a brand-new person. If a loved one dies, then they die, and you move on. Sitting there hoping that this new being will be that previous life is sort of...unhealthy, I feel. Besides, I'd find it comforting (although maybe a bit jealous) if I knew that a loved one would live on almost infinitely. None of it is forgotten at all, especially when the new Avatar can reconnect. Even if the connection is broken, the spirit is still there. And I can't imagine being that close to the Avatar and not learning or understanding a lot of aspects of the world that most wouldn't.

It's not really bullshit at all.

I'm sure Tenzin probably would have actually wanted to raise his kids/Not have the complications of something like that.
Oh I know. It's just something to joke about. Dude wanted to single handedly recreate the air nation, at the expense of Pema's uterus. We don't even know how many kids Pema wanted. She probably wanted to stop at Ikki for all we know.

PBalfredo

I saw this tumblr post that kinda breaks it down. Given the information that they've known each other since they were kids, they broke up when Pema confessed her love for Tenzin, Pema was at least old enough to leave her parent's to join the Air Acolytes and that Pema is 16 years younger than Tenzin, they didn't break up until they were both in their mid-30s. Depending on when they started dating, the years they were in a relationship easily could of been double digits.

I saw this tumblr post that kinda breaks it down. Given the information that they've known each other since they were kids, they broke up when Pema confessed her love for Tenzin, Pema was at least old enough to leave her parent's to join the Air Acolytes and that Pema is 16 years younger than Tenzin, they didn't break up until they were both in their mid-30s. Depending on when they started dating, the years they were in a relationship easily could of been double digits.
If that's the case Pema and Tenzin are lucky that Lin isn't a lava bender. I'd bury their asses in that shit and they'd never find the bodies if that shit happened to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom